Okay I will get to the point,which is better,and secure to use I message or bbm? I would like to know because I'm eligable for a hardware upgrade,so I'm considering a bold 9900 or Iphone
    04-08-12 05:32 PM
    BBM is more secure because of BIS and the use of a PIN. BBM also has more features than iMessage, such as location sharing, file sharing, group chats.

There's some things I prefer about IMessage though.

In the end though, if you don't have friends or family using BlackBerry phones then BBM is not useful. Same goes for iMessage.
    Spencerdl and Mystic205 like this.
    04-08-12 05:42 PM
    BBM uses data compression and is trusted and secure. Fast and reliable (for the most part) You do have a data limit in terms of how large a file you can send and has more of a social aspect to it. Like iMessage, you can also txt/sms someone from the app if they do not have BBM. Relies on PIN not a phone number. BBM connected apps are pretty cool as well.

iMesage is great for those who use iOS as it connects them almost the same as BBM. You can send sms/txts to those who do not have an iPhone and there is no limit to the amount of data that may be sent over the app (unlmtd video anyways). It also sends status messages (Delivered). Needs a contact's phone number to function.

BBM or iMessage is not enough imo to be able to make an informed decision for your next device. I hope it is just one facet of your research.
    04-08-12 05:46 PM
    iMessage: Integrates transparently into the iPhones messaging app (ie. there is no separate app for iMessage and SMS). It's able to detect if the recipient is on an iMessage enabled device or not. If they are not, the message will sent as a regular SMS, subject to your regular texting plan. If they are, then you can messages without the 160 character limit, get delivered and read receipts, send pictures, videos and such over data, group chat, and not be subject to your carrier's texting plan. iMessage can be tied to your phone number AND multiple email addresses. If you have other iOS devices like an iPod touch or iPad, you can carry on your conversations across your devices..it treats everything as a single identity.

BBM: Functions more like a traditional standalone instant messaging app. Uses data for messaging and file transfers, so is not subject to any carrier messaging restrictions. Can be integrated with certain "BBM connected" apps. It is however tied to your device PIN, so if you have multiple BlackBerries, or a BlackBerry and a PlayBook, there's no way to use the same identity across your devices (you can Bridge to the PlayBook to give it access to your phone's BBM, but that would require you to have your phone within bluetooth range).
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-08-12 06:34 PM
    Secure reasons blackberry wins.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-08-12 06:39 PM
    BBM uses data compression and is trusted and secure. Fast and reliable (for the most part) You do have a data limit in terms of how large a file you can send and has more of a social aspect to it. Like iMessage, you can also txt/sms someone from the app if they do not have BBM. Relies on PIN not a phone number. BBM connected apps are pretty cool as well.

iMesage is great for those who use iOS as it connects them almost the same as BBM. You can send sms/txts to those who do not have an iPhone and there is no limit to the amount of data that may be sent over the app (unlmtd video anyways). It also sends status messages (Delivered). Needs a contact's phone number to function.

BBM or iMessage is not enough imo to be able to make an informed decision for your next device. I hope it is just one facet of your research.
    ^^^ What he said. I've only had the iPhone 9 days, but have been using it on my iPad with friend who have an iPhone or iPod.

The family is in Israel with the in-laws for Passover. We've been using iMessage, FaceTime and Skype without having to add any txt/data international plans.
    DX9 likes this.
    04-08-12 07:08 PM
    BBM hands down... You do not have to give out your number. If you want them erased, then they're gone. No annoying phone calls or texts..
    NightSlayer likes this.
    04-08-12 07:09 PM
    In another thread it was mentioned that in emergencies (Ex. earthquake, fierce storms) BBM still works and the others don't because BBM uses the data stream

Also, iMessage isn't 'transparent'. You have to open your message app to compose a message...you're opening an app

BBM is better
    04-08-12 07:14 PM
    BBM hands down... You do not have to give out your number. If you want them erased, then they're gone. No annoying phone calls or texts..
    You don't have to use give out a number for iMessage. You can use email addresses.
    04-08-12 07:19 PM
    In another thread it was mentioned that in emergencies (Ex. earthquake, fierce storms) BBM still works and the others don't because BBM uses the data stream
    You know for a fact that it doesn't work?
    04-08-12 07:20 PM

In another thread a poster stated he was in an earthquake and BBM worked and everything else didn't (non-BB users)

I personally don't know
    04-08-12 07:36 PM

Also, iMessage isn't 'transparent'. You have to open your message app to compose a message...you're opening an app

BBM is better
    BBM uses the same data stream as other apps do (or at least it is for CDMA devices)
    04-08-12 07:43 PM
    BlackBerry Messenger messages are encrypted with Triple DES, but every BlackBerry phone uses the exact same peer-to-peer encryption key to decode them. SMS messages are subject to whatever transport security your wireless provider offers.

Once a message arrives, a properly configured, encrypted BlackBerry provides the best security. There is no known way to bypass an encrypted BlackBerry's passcode requirement if media card encryption is disabled or set to 'device password and device key.' Do not select 'device password' only unless you using a very strong password, and do not use 'device key' only (a new development). Encrypted BlackBerrys also utilize secure garbage collection, so a deleted message is truly gone. Deleted objects are overwritten with zeros before they are released to be overwritten. In some cases, it is possible to retrieve deleted messages, pictures, etc… from an iPhone.
    Last edited by hornlovah; 04-08-12 at 08:19 PM.
    04-08-12 08:16 PM

There is no situations yet that iMessage has been put to the same tests as BBM in extreme situations.

but I will say that in Port Dover ontario during a summer Friday the 13th a small town of approximately 6000 people turns into a Motorcycle mecca of form 150,000 to 200,000 people, and during peak hours, BBM transmissions work 50-75% of the time, SMS works 5-10% of the time, and gTalk worked about 20-30% of the time, I unfortunately didn't have any other IM's to use, nor did the people I was with but BBM was the only semi reliable transmission method, and it is widely suspected the case is that it requires the least amount of connection time with the cellular tower to transmit the message, and receive a message.

I suspect iMessage would be like gTalk, for consistency,
    04-08-12 08:26 PM

I do not think, for example during 911, it was so much that the standard services like SMS were down and BBM was up. Wasn't it more like the carriers' services were clogged to capacity while BBM (and perhaps BIS email) had capacity open and thus "worked"?

It's like being permitted to use an Hov lane to bypass while everyone else is creeping along on what is effectively the same road.

And I suppose also the efficiency of BBM data compression helps messages pass while there is extremely limited data capacity. So BBM could work whereas something like whatsapp might not. Right?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    jersey kid likes this.
    04-08-12 08:34 PM
    There is no situations yet that iMessage has been put to the same tests as BBM in extreme situations.

but I will say that in Port Dover ontario during a summer Friday the 13th a small town of approximately 6000 people turns into a Motorcycle mecca of form 150,000 to 200,000 people, and during peak hours, BBM transmissions work 50-75% of the time, SMS works 5-10% of the time, and gTalk worked about 20-30% of the time, I unfortunately didn't have any other IM's to use, nor did the people I was with but BBM was the only semi reliable transmission method, and it is widely suspected the case is that it requires the least amount of connection time with the cellular tower to transmit the message, and receive a message.

I suspect iMessage would be like gTalk, for consistency,
    Plain 'ole txt messaging didn't work either?

I have no idea what gTalk is.
    04-08-12 09:01 PM
    Plain 'ole txt messaging didn't work either?

I have no idea what gTalk is.

Google talk.

As for SMS. If 90% of folks there are using the same couple of towers and swamping the carriers' SMS (texting) capacity, but only a small percentage had BlackBerrys, the bb users would have a relatively open lane so to speak. They'd just have to contend with other data traffic. And in that case the devices that are most efficient will suceed the most.

I had the same thing happen at Comicon last year in San Diego. We were in an inner hall. Weak Verizon signal. Tons of folks there on phones. Sms would usually fail or take a very long time. My bbm's were zipping on out though.
    Last edited by southlander; 04-08-12 at 09:12 PM.
    04-08-12 09:03 PM
    imessage is basically just txting but you can do it over wifi.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-08-12 09:11 PM
    Oh god not this thread again.

They're very similar. Both give you all the basics such as group messaging, typing notifications and "Delivered"/"Read" notifications. When compared by CrackBerry and iMore (TiPB at the time), they found the speed to be about equal.

iMessage is integrated into the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad's Messaging app. It's a lot easier to set up and many people have iPhones now so you'll get a lot of use out of it. Lacks some of the more social aspects of BBM and it uses phone numbers instead of a PIN. For me that's a huge advantage, but others seem to hate it.

On the contrary, BBM is a separate application. Instead of using your normal contact list you have a buddy list of people who you've exchanged PINs with. BBM is a lot more than just a messaging app now; it has turned into more of a social party that only BlackBerry users are invited to. It has become very integrated into the whole OS and has quite a few more features than iMessage. My biggest issue with it was that everyone I knew at the time had an iPhone or Android.

The number of your friends that use each is really what determines which fits you better. If you use BBM but all your friends have iPhones then you're out of luck. Same for vice versa.
    04-08-12 09:18 PM
    If you have a bunch of friends who all use different platforms, WhatsApp is good. It uses data, not SMS, and it works with all platforms (BlackBerry, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Nokia).
    raino likes this.
    04-08-12 09:32 PM
    Lacks some of the more social aspects of BBM and it uses phone numbers instead of a PIN.
    Again, you don't need an phone number to use iMessage. I speak to my buddy in Japan all the time. He has an iPad. No iPhone.

We speak over the iPad using our MobileMe email addresses.
    04-08-12 10:49 PM
    You don't have to use give out a number for iMessage. You can use email addresses.

There is still a bug when you go from on wifi to off wifi your info on the top banner changes from your email to your phone number.

I experienced this personally with my ipod. I was chatting with a friend that I only had her email for imessage and her # popped up without her permission.

04-08-12 10:52 PM

During irene I was shipped up to NH and CT for recovery efforts as I work as a lineman for comcast.

Power, phone and cable lines were down so with all the rescue and residential carrier traffic only about 15% of peoples texts/calls went through.

I was bbm'ing pics of the aftermath to my wife with ease and chatting it up with her without a hiccup.

Like a previous poster had said even if the carriers network is overloaded and backed up with sms and calls the bis servers are fluid in communicating. All they need is the carriers pipeline.

This was a rare case where I had all my coworkers asking if the could email pics to their wives and also to email them that they couldn't get through for calls or texts most of the time.

I think that disaster changed about 12 people onto blackberry and most of them own them now.

04-08-12 10:57 PM
    Those of you who think bbm is more secure than iMessage don't know a lick about Secuirty.

If you're using bbm on bes for example, you're employer can intercept any message you send. In an iOS world this isn't possible at all.

Rim is more than happy to hand over encryption keys for foreign governments where as apple just can't do this based on architecture.

iMessage is way more secure than bbm.
    04-08-12 11:01 PM
    BBM is more secure, but except if you have high level government secrets on your phone, the imessage is good enough,

The question should be to you, find out how many of your friends use BBM or imessage.
    04-08-12 11:02 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD