REVISED

Xliderider and myself have been testing a hybrid OS consisting of v4.5.0.160 as the base OS with the radio, phone app, and profiles app from v4.5.0.131.

We're both VZW users and so far we've had no issues with the RF cycling or beep/squelch during a call or any profile crashes.

I can't say whether this is any better than Slingbox's Hybrid or not but if you want to test it out for a couple days then a link for the files you need is posted below.

Instructions:

Download and install Desktop Manager v4.5 or v4.6 do not download/install anything higher than v4.6.

Uninstall any previous OS's from your PC.

Run a backup and back up your third party apps.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

Extract the files from the zip folder. You can download the zip folder HERE.

Download/install v4.5.0.160 from here:

Telus Mobility
    Megashares
    MEGAUPLOAD
    Alltel

After installed navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and delete the vendor.xml file.

Then go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8330-v4.5.0.160_P3.4.0.41 and delete the entire contents of the folder.

Next open the folder you extracted from the zip file and either copy and paste or move the entire contents of the folder to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8330-v4.5.0.160_P3.4.0.41.

I removed all languages, BrickBreaker, Docs2Go, Help Files, Password Keeper, Setup Wizard, carrier themes, and TTY (Hearing - Impaired). If you want to install any of those modules you can download THIS zip file and simply copy and paste or move the .cod files to the .160 Java folder and the .alx files to the main .160 folder.

Next navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and launch the loader.exe (folder with a cellphone on it) and install your hybrid.

When the OS load is complete you can close the application loader and run DM and restore your backup and third party apps if need be.

Due to the rising popularity of this hybrid and the amount of newbies installing it I thought I would try and make the process a little simpler
    Last edited by blackngray70; 08-15-09 at 09:44 PM.
    06-05-09 06:05 AM
    Great write-up BnG.

Verizon folks, this hybrid is very stable. We have not had any issues that can be found in the 4.5.0.138 and 4.5.0.160 OS releases like RF/network indicator cycling between 1XEV, 1X, 1x, 1xev, and the chirp/squelch audio problem during a call with this hybrid OS. There were also some people experiencing problems with their profiles getting lost with .160

Credit goes to blackngray70 and slingbox for cooking up various OS hybrids until a stable mix was found.
    06-05-09 06:25 AM
    I used your original setup up xliderider, when you first posted the hybrid, and its still goin strong with no problems what so ever.
    Whats the difference between this one and the one where you just replace the .sfi file?
    06-05-09 07:10 AM
    Some people have complained about their profiles crashing with .160 so we swapped the profiles app.

We're also trying to make a more stable OS for VZW users and still have the latest OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-09 07:35 AM
    So many choices. Thanks bb chefs !

06-05-09 08:48 AM
    Just did the OS over using BnG's Hybrid, So far all is good no problems at all.

Thanks for all the time and effort for making this happen.
    06-05-09 09:23 AM
    This is a nice write up! I too am running the original 160/131 and have not had any issues. Thanks guys for all the info and taking the time to expiranment.

06-05-09 10:23 AM
    Ignore this, I got it to DL finally...

Thanks for the update!

Is MegaUpload down? I cant seem to connect to it from my network here @ work or my connection at home...

Unable to get the linked file: megaupload.com/?d=SITUG3PQ

Is there any other location to get this file?
    Last edited by xtrmcheeze; 06-05-09 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Started working...
    06-05-09 10:30 AM
    Awesome. Been running since yesterday afternoon and no problems so far.
    06-05-09 10:47 AM
    I am new to the blackberry world and have a very newbie question.
    - What is the advantage of upgrading from .77 to .160 or this hybrid?
    06-05-09 11:54 AM
    I am new to the blackberry world and have a very newbie question.
    - What is the advantage of upgrading from .77 to .160 or this hybrid?
    Biggest drawback to .77 is the speakerblast issue, where the phone would be on speakerphone for the first few seconds when a call is received.

The speakerblast issue is present in all OS releases from .77 through .127.

.160 has some problems as well, that's the reason this hybrid was made, to address, and solve the problems in .138 and .160
    06-05-09 12:00 PM
    If I have no speaker blast would you suggest leaving the device alone or upgrading?
    06-05-09 12:03 PM
    If I have no speaker blast would you suggest leaving the device alone or upgrading?
    As you are a new member, I would recommend you get more experience with your device before embarking on the addictive road of updates/modifications to your 'Berry.
    06-05-09 12:10 PM
    Just an update almost 24 hours after my own hybrid .160/.131 install:

Problems: Zero

Audio chirps/squelches on calls: Zero

Crashes: Zero

Problems backing up: Zero

Disappointment factor: ZERO

Thanks again to xliderider and blackngray for the info on how to do this and all the assistance along the way.
    06-05-09 01:38 PM
    You're welcome and that's good news
    06-05-09 01:40 PM
    blackngray,

I just noticed that you're running the .131 phone and profiles apps as well. I only pulled the .131 radio into my hybrid build. It's running well, so I'm not **** bent on re-engineering things at this point. Are there any major benefits to adding the phone and profiles apps to the hybrid .160 build?

Thanks again. One of my favorite things about Berries is that you can customize the crap out of them and really make the phone "yours" unlike most "dumb" phones out there.
    06-05-09 02:40 PM
    Senator, if you are not having any problems with your profiles then you really don't need to bring in the extra files. I have, but I'm just like that. My sig says it all. lol.
    06-05-09 02:46 PM
    Senator, if you are not having any problems with your profiles then you really don't need to bring in the extra files. I have, but I'm just like that. My sig says it all. lol.
    Nice. On a scale of 10, I'm probably at an 8 on the obsessive scale. That probably puts you around a 12 or 13 I'm guessing.
    06-05-09 03:23 PM
    The jl_cmder wipe, is it absolutely necessary? And if so why?

06-05-09 03:40 PM
    The jl_cmder wipe, is it absolutely necessary? And if so why?

If you have .160 already installed on your 8330, Apploader will probably not detect that you have software to load on your BB thinking that you already have the OS installed. If you wipe first, Apploader will definitely install the modified OS to your BB.
    06-05-09 03:53 PM
    Been running it for couple hours - no speaker pops every couple minutes. Thanks for all the work on this hybrid BnG and everyone else!!

Great Job!!
    06-05-09 04:15 PM
    Does the hybrid have that "screen on" delay when u press the trackball ??

06-05-09 04:49 PM

Not on mine. Comes on instantly.
    06-05-09 04:54 PM

Not on mine either.

06-05-09 05:00 PM
    If you have .160 already installed on your 8330, Apploader will probably not detect that you have software to load on your BB thinking that you already have the OS installed. If you wipe first, Apploader will definitely install the modified OS to your BB.

So if I use the loader.exe instead of apploader I should be able to skip the jl_cmder step?

The reason I ask is I don't have internet at the house and would have to go somewhere to use the wifi(which is a pain in this tiny town where I live). I do have both os's downloaded to my pc though.

06-05-09 05:03 PM
464 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD