HOW TO: Manual Connect and wipe your BB using Command Prompt

I took a look at the programming of the JL_Cmder.cmd
    I wanted to know what commands are used during the process so I can perform them manually.

For those who want to wipe there device follow this instructions. I give full credit to Crucial since this is nothing new, I just simplified it so it hopefully ALWAYS works to wipe your device.

If you follow crucial's guide I guess everything works fine until Step 11.
    Here for most of us nothing happens when we enter blackberry and push enter.
    Im not sure why the program does not connect at once, but this is how to fix it:
    -----
    STEPS TO DO:
    1) open command prompt (in vindows vista just click the start button in the lower left corner and enter cmd in the search field, you will see the command prompt on the top of the start menue, select it!)

2) navigate to the JL_Cmder folder
    - to change to a folder below; always type cd..
    - generally to change to a folder; type cd foldername

EXAMPLE:
    I opened command prompt. What I saw was:
    C:\Users\Vlad>
    typed cd.. (pressed enter)
    C:\Users>
    typed cd.. (pressed enter) again
    now Im in
    C:\>
    typed cd program files (pressed enter)
    C:\Program Files>
    typed cd jl_cmder (pressed enter)
    C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder>

here is the key step
    type javaloader.exe -u -wYOUR PIN TO UNLOCK YOUR SIM wipe

here are two examples:
    C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder>javaloader.exe -u -w123456 wipe
    when you start your device you usually have a pin to unlock your sim. 123456 in the line above is THIS particular pin. Not your device pin, but the pin you use to unlock your sim card.

C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder>javaloader.exe -u -w wipe
    Some people have disabled the function to enter a pin when they start up there phone. In this case you dont need anything behind -w

3) After you press enter it will say: Connected on the command prompt screen. Dont do anything now. Your device is being wiped now. You wont see any screenshots that confirm that the job is done, just wait until the command prompt says: Disconnected (takes 1 minute or so)

Here is how my command prompt looked like after the job was done:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\Users\Vlad>cd..
    C:\Users>cd..
    C:\>cd program files
    C:\Program Files>cd jl_cmder
    RIM Wireless Handheld Java Loader
    Copyright 2001-2008 Research In Motion Limited
    Connected
    Disconnected

(changed the number ofc :P my pin is not 123456)

4) Check you Blackberry, press any button to light up the screen. You should see the 507 error now which is good. It means there is no software on your Blackberry and you can now go on with Step 13 in Crucial's guide, and install your new OS.

This manual method should always connect your Blackberry. I tried this with my Storm 9500 several times, and it worked at once every single time. (In contrast to that I tried to used the JL_Cmder.cmd, wipe, enter blackberry, press enter approximately 50 times -.- and it did not even work once)
    I hope this helps. If you got any questions, just ask

EDIT:
    Just saw that a lot of people have problems with RUN AS ADMIN etc.
    I recommend that you just ensure that the JL_Cmder folder exists on your harddrive and the files are in there. Then open command prompt and use my instructions to connect and wipe your device.
    Thanks for this. However, I am unable to see JL commander on my hard drive. All I have is the desktop icon. No other trace of it on my computer.
    02-12-09 10:27 AM
    Just did my first wipe, and so far so good. It took a while for the 507 error to come up. Them DM did not see my pin, so i hit app loader and it came up. Right now it is uploading the OS.

Thanks for the write up, help me out a lot
    02-12-09 03:24 PM
    I installed on Vista and followed the directions. It won't let me change the file path as mentined but I am able to run the program. Do I need to change this path in order for JL to wipe correctly or if I can runt he program I am all set. Thanks.
    02-13-09 06:44 PM
    worked perfect for me. thanks
    02-13-09 08:54 PM
    Oh wow, thank you thank you! Had a power outage during upgrading the software, and I was stuck on not even being able to turn the device on.. much less update it. Worked like a charm!
    02-16-09 12:40 AM
    Nothing works for me. I tpye in blackberry nothing happens. Tried opening the program over and over about 15 times...never connected. Also tried the other method but the command prompt doesnt recognize it. Im running Vista 64bit. Im frustrated!
    02-18-09 01:44 AM
    Nothing works for me. I type in blackberry nothing happens. Tried opening the program over and over about 15 times...never connected. Also tried the other method but the command prompt doesnt recognize it. Im running Vista 64bit. Im frustrated!

I'm running on Vista 32bit but I'm having the exact same problems, I've tried both of the steps but nothing is working! Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance!
    02-18-09 01:08 PM
    I'm running on Vista 32bit but I'm having the exact same problems, I've tried both of the steps but nothing is working! Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance!
    Did some extra research and got it to work. All I did was find the program files folder for JL_Cmder and renamed CHOICE.COM to just CHOICE. Opened up JL and it connected first try. Wiping right now...

Scary process
    02-18-09 10:50 PM
    So... I'm new here I got adventurous and decided to update my Storm to the 103/106 hybrid. I first backed up and saved 3rd party apps, then used JL_Cmder to wipe my device, then CrackMem to get rid of the junk, then installed the 103/106 hybrid. It worked like a dream!!

I was lucky to get 30MB of app memory before and now I'm staying in the 40s, 50 after a battery pull. I will post if I have any issues but as of now its perfect. I think it is running much more quickly and I'm very happy with the instructions/advise from the forum.

Thanks!!
    02-19-09 10:48 PM
    just finished wiping my Bold for the first time. Didn't seem to go step-by-step as the guide but seemed to work. After typing blackberry, it went back to the black screen. I was confused as what to do so I just waited a bit and finally got the white 507 screen but it was on the device, not on jl_cmdr on computer. Was I wrong to expect it to appear in the program itself or is it supposed to appear on the device screen?

Took a while as it was doing its thing, I started reading through the posts and got scared but as I said, seems to have worked out. Had to start all over once os was loaded, just like I did the day I took it out of the box for first time. Of course I skipped the "restore" step so I'm now waiting for that. Only problem i seem to have is that it keeps telling me that I put in a media card with errors on it but i didn't do anything to it different.
    02-21-09 06:50 AM
    just finished wiping my Bold for the first time. Didn't seem to go step-by-step as the guide but seemed to work. After typing blackberry, it went back to the black screen. I was confused as what to do so I just waited a bit and finally got the white 507 screen but it was on the device, not on jl_cmdr on computer. Was I wrong to expect it to appear in the program itself or is it supposed to appear on the device screen?

Took a while as it was doing its thing, I started reading through the posts and got scared but as I said, seems to have worked out. Had to start all over once os was loaded, just like I did the day I took it out of the box for first time. Of course I skipped the "restore" step so I'm now waiting for that. Only problem i seem to have is that it keeps telling me that I put in a media card with errors on it but i didn't do anything to it different.
    It's supposed to appear on the device. That is what you are trying to wipe. Not the computer. If you received a '507' error you accomplished what you were trying to do, Wipe the device.
    02-21-09 09:31 AM
    Did some extra research and got it to work. All I did was find the program files folder for JL_Cmder and renamed CHOICE.COM to just CHOICE. Opened up JL and it connected first try. Wiping right now...

Scary process
    I just tried this except the file name is already Choice, NOT choice.com. Did you mean that in reverse?
    02-22-09 09:44 AM
    well i thought this was crazy info @ first until i did a reboot and vuala there was jl cmder. still working but much thanks goes to you all!
    02-22-09 09:04 PM
    It's supposed to appear on the device. That is what you are trying to wipe. Not the computer. If you received a '507' error you accomplished what you were trying to do, Wipe the device.
    I understand that but I think a lot of the confusion that is going on is that some people expect the white screen to be on the program, hence a lot of wondering why the black screen screen giving you the numbered options comes back giving the appearance that nothing happened. Or it could be that I'm not as smart as most.
    02-23-09 05:52 AM
    someone help! im stuck at the white screen with 507 message. the phone doesnt wanna connect to dm. what do i do now
    02-27-09 07:37 PM
    EDIT ....

All went fine.. thanks...
    Last edited by alexplantman; 03-01-09 at 11:27 PM.
    03-01-09 05:35 AM
    EDIT: How to use JL_Cmder with Vistax64:

When you install the program, you have to right click on the install file and choose "Run as Administrator", and install normally.

This will place an icon on your desktop as normal. Before running the program, right click on the desktop icon and choose properties. There will be an "Advanced" button to click on. Once inside that window, put a check mark in "Run as Administrator" and click ok. Click ok again and agree to any UAC (User Account Control) prompts.

Then right click again and choose properties again, and change the program path from:

%PROGRAMFILES%\JL_Cmder\JL_Cmder.cmd

to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\JL_Cmder\JL_Cmder.cmd"

Since you are using a 64bit OS, there is the regular Program Files that runs all your x64 programs, and Program Files (x86) that has all your 32bit applications.

This tutorial was made by Crucial_Xtreme. Please do not copy and paste this outside this forum without my consent. Thank you. And Thanks to D_Fisher for making this Wonderful Application.
    Did you try it? CHOICE.COM is a 16 bit app, so there's no way to make it work under vista x64.
    The only way is to use javaloader.exe with command line options.

As you can see in JL_Cmder.cmd file, this is the option used:

IF %WIPE_CONFIRM%==blackberry JAVALOADER -u -w%PASSWORD% wipe

So, for 64bit OS, simply type javaloader.exe -u wipe
    Last edited by Danielem; 03-01-09 at 12:32 PM.
    03-01-09 12:26 PM
    do you need your carriers os after using this or can you use any?
    03-03-09 12:04 PM
    I keep getting a error message when trying to use jl_Cmder it says sytem file is not suitable for running MS-Dos and Microsoft windows applications choose close to terminate the application.
    03-04-09 06:54 PM
    Thanks, it works.
    03-05-09 08:34 PM
    If you use this software to wipe your phone and you have an unlocked phone (from ATT) that I am using on TMobile, will it lock the phone again and not let me use it?
    03-10-09 05:45 PM
    If you are using Vista64 please read first post again, I updated for how to use JL_Cmder with Vista64.
    i am on vista and i cant even get the application to load....JL_cmder. It gives me a small window for one second then closes. i don't even see whats in the window.
    03-10-09 05:57 PM
    Are you running Vista x64?? if so dont forget to follow these steps!!!

When you install the program, you have to right click on the install file and choose "Run as Administrator", and install normally.

This will place an icon on your desktop as normal. Before running the program, right click on the desktop icon and choose properties. There will be an "Advanced" button to click on. Once inside that window, put a check mark in "Run as Administrator" and click ok. Click ok again and agree to any UAC (User Account Control) prompts.

Then right click again and choose properties again, and change the program path from:

%PROGRAMFILES%\JL_Cmder\JL_Cmder.cmd

to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\JL_Cmder\JL_Cmder.cmd"

Since you are using a 64bit OS, there is the regular Program Files that runs all your x64 programs, and Program Files (x86) that has all your 32bit applications.

It took me several times bevore it worked so.....good luck!!
    okay i did this and I got the program to show up. but it won't wipe...
    03-10-09 06:53 PM
    HOW TO: Manual Connect and wipe your BB using Command Prompt

I took a look at the programming of the JL_Cmder.cmd
    I wanted to know what commands are used during the process so I can perform them manually.

For those who want to wipe there device follow this instructions. I give full credit to Crucial since this is nothing new, I just simplified it so it hopefully ALWAYS works to wipe your device.

If you follow crucial's guide I guess everything works fine until Step 11.
    Here for most of us nothing happens when we enter blackberry and push enter.
    Im not sure why the program does not connect at once, but this is how to fix it:
    -----
    STEPS TO DO:
    1) open command prompt (in vindows vista just click the start button in the lower left corner and enter cmd in the search field, you will see the command prompt on the top of the start menue, select it!)

2) navigate to the JL_Cmder folder
    - to change to a folder below; always type cd..
    - generally to change to a folder; type cd foldername

EXAMPLE:
    I opened command prompt. What I saw was:
    C:\Users\Vlad>
    typed cd.. (pressed enter)
    C:\Users>
    typed cd.. (pressed enter) again
    now Im in
    C:\>
    typed cd program files (pressed enter)
    C:\Program Files>
    typed cd jl_cmder (pressed enter)

here is the key step
    type javaloader.exe -u -wYOUR PIN TO UNLOCK YOUR SIM wipe

here are two examples:
    when you start your device you usually have a pin to unlock your sim. 123456 in the line above is THIS particular pin. Not your device pin, but the pin you use to unlock your sim card.

C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder>javaloader.exe -u -w wipe
    Some people have disabled the function to enter a pin when they start up there phone. In this case you dont need anything behind -w

3) After you press enter it will say: Connected on the command prompt screen. Dont do anything now. Your device is being wiped now. You wont see any screenshots that confirm that the job is done, just wait until the command prompt says: Disconnected (takes 1 minute or so)

Here is how my command prompt looked like after the job was done:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\Users\Vlad>cd..
    C:\Users>cd..
    C:\>cd program files
    C:\Program Files>cd jl_cmder
    RIM Wireless Handheld Java Loader
    Copyright 2001-2008 Research In Motion Limited
    Connected
    Disconnected

(changed the number ofc :P my pin is not 123456)

4) Check you Blackberry, press any button to light up the screen. You should see the 507 error now which is good. It means there is no software on your Blackberry and you can now go on with Step 13 in Crucial's guide, and install your new OS.

This manual method should always connect your Blackberry. I tried this with my Storm 9500 several times, and it worked at once every single time. (In contrast to that I tried to used the JL_Cmder.cmd, wipe, enter blackberry, press enter approximately 50 times -.- and it did not even work once)
    I hope this helps. If you got any questions, just ask

EDIT:
    Just saw that a lot of people have problems with RUN AS ADMIN etc.
    I recommend that you just ensure that the JL_Cmder folder exists on your harddrive and the files are in there. Then open command prompt and use my instructions to connect and wipe your device.

i followed these commands as well and I haven't been able to get it to wipe...i get to cd jl_cmder and it say destination not found. or the system cannot find the path specified... and this is where I am stuck @
    03-10-09 07:01 PM
    Great stuff! I've been looking for this...
    03-10-09 07:41 PM
656 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD