My provider (Telus Canada) offers unlimited on-phone data usage but charges $8 / mb for tethering.

How does my service provider know if I am accessing the Internet directly from my phone or am using my phone as a tethered modem? You would think that one could easily set their modem up as a proxy to avoid the data usage fees most companies apply for tethered modem usage.

Has anyone successfully found a hack to avoid these stupid fees?
    11-24-08 08:23 AM
    1) How does connection speed by wireless compare to WIFI ?

2) Is the connection speed controlled by the PC Laptop computer's internal modem or overridden by the wireless of WIFI connection speed?
    11-24-08 09:47 AM
    I'm on Sprint with an 8130 and I'm unable to get SprintView to work. It recognizes my phone and shows 100% signal but when I hit connect it says external connection exists already, unable to connect. I'm able to use the DUN configuration though without issue. I'm not sure why SprintView isn't working, I have the latest desktop software.
    11-24-08 08:34 PM
    Is there a way to set up my Bold (AT&T) as a modem without the $30/month tethering service charge?
    11-25-08 12:43 PM
    Gonna test this config for Mexico-Telcel

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-08 11:23 PM
    I have a new Blackberry Curve. The only carrier I can get to work where I live is US Cellular. Can I use my Curve as a modem with this company? If so could you please give me directions? Thanks
    11-26-08 11:05 AM
    Blackberry Curve 8320 on T-Mobile.
    Successful use without ANY problems, following the instructions step by step.
    11-27-08 01:04 PM
    Attn Bold Users on Vista

After much trouble i got it to work (at no fault of the instructions). It seems, oddly enough, that how u go about setting up the internet connection in Vista matters. Not until i went "start-->connect to-->set up a connection or network" did it work. Previously i was going to the "Network and Sharing Center" and setting up a connection that way. When i did that it would give me a number of different error msgs. Once I figured that out (with the help of an e-mail from a friend at the Rogers BlackBerry tech support center) there was no problems at all, and no extra tethering charges
    Last edited by StonerHead; 11-29-08 at 01:08 AM. Reason: i got it to work lol
    11-27-08 09:44 PM
    can you email me at debeasi74@hotmailmcom? I have a question about the phone as modem and the sprint plan they made me buy. I had the simply everything plan and they then originally told me the modem service was included but theb another rep said they were wrong so they gave me the data pack for free but I had to get a different plan... They saved me money but of course I now have a regular miniute plan verse unlimited everything
    12-01-08 02:56 AM
    tested several days ago on Sprint. I just connected long enough to transfer about 100KB and so far they haven't charged my anything for it. I can't tell if it added it into my unlimited data on the usage details but it isn't separated out anywhere so I'm assuming they just added it into that.
    12-01-08 07:06 AM
    My wife and I have been using our berrys as modems on Sprint for quite some time. It is just as easy as you say, except I have to have desktop mgr open also. We have never bee charged extra, and we use a lot of data. I stream media to my ps3!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-08 07:12 AM
    I ask us cellular about using blackberry as a modem just to see if they offer they told me they do not offer it and if I did it it would be farud and would close account. I had logged on the internet the night before I bought a cheap blue tooth adapter so I could use my computer to send to phone the software had a moden semble. I clicked on it and it dialed into the internet
    12-02-08 06:49 PM
    Really dumb question.. but does Bluetooth throttle the connection speed? Because I have 3G at my house, and I tether through my Macbook via Bluetooth, and get speeds around 700kbps for downloads.. but on my windows desktop via usb, i get up to 2 mbps..
    12-02-08 10:48 PM
    I am trying to set up my mini 12 & when i get to the "important special configuration step" it won't let me type anything into the extra initialization command!? Any ideas on what i should try to do next?

Thanks in advance,

witchiepooh2u
    Last edited by witchiepooh2u; 12-02-08 at 11:02 PM.
    12-02-08 10:57 PM
    Really dumb question.. but does Bluetooth throttle the connection speed? Because I have 3G at my house, and I tether through my Macbook via Bluetooth, and get speeds around 700kbps for downloads.. but on my windows desktop via usb, i get up to 2 mbps..
    I would assume that the speed limitations of Bluetooth would in fact slow down your connection...because the data is limited to how fast bluetooth can send and receive it. Which in my experience isn't all that fast.

Of course I have no idea how the speed of a bluetooth compares to the speed of usb cable transfer...seems faster to me though.

So if your's was a stupid question, there's my stupid guess...er, I mean answer!
    12-03-08 05:45 AM
    I figured it out with the help of T-Mobile! Love them!
    12-03-08 04:06 PM
    Hey guys. I ended up calling sprint 3 different times tonight getting 3 different people to make sure doing this was 100% FREE.
    The first person said the only time they charge you to use your blackberry as a modem is if you use there program "SmartView" which you need there username/password, and to use that it would cost an additional $15/month.
    BUT she said other then smartview they would not charge...
    The other two people i reached also said that i would not get charged since i am using the all in one plan.

Anyways, I am now using my blackberry as a modem! Very cool, and faster then my dial up connection LOL.

Thanks kcladygemini for the great write up, very easy to do! Running windows vista and had my blackberry curve 8330 as a modem within 20 minutes

Very cool, wish i would have found this thread sooner

BY THE WAY! One of them told me that youonly get 5gb. Said that its "Unlimited" but the average user will never reach over 5gb on there phone,but said you might if using your computer!
    Last edited by Nitro-blackberry; 12-03-08 at 10:11 PM.
    12-03-08 10:03 PM
    How. mine kicks me off line when I get a call. (Verizon)
    12-05-08 05:44 PM
    i ran the instructions above on my laptop. only i get Error 734: The ppp link control protocol was terminated.
    if you're an ATT customer getting Error 734, all you need to do is change your extra initialization command to:

AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular"

source: blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/115309-teather-blackberry-8310-w-att-error-734-a.html#post1171547
    12-06-08 02:31 PM
    Hey guys. I ended up calling sprint 3 different times tonight getting 3 different people to make sure doing this was 100% FREE.
    The first person said the only time they charge you to use your blackberry as a modem is if you use there program "SmartView" which you need there username/password, and to use that it would cost an additional $15/month.
    BUT she said other then smartview they would not charge...
    The other two people i reached also said that i would not get charged since i am using the all in one plan.

Anyways, I am now using my blackberry as a modem! Very cool, and faster then my dial up connection LOL.

Thanks kcladygemini for the great write up, very easy to do! Running windows vista and had my blackberry curve 8330 as a modem within 20 minutes

Very cool, wish i would have found this thread sooner

BY THE WAY! One of them told me that youonly get 5gb. Said that its "Unlimited" but the average user will never reach over 5gb on there phone,but said you might if using your computer!

I've been monitering my internet usuage on sprint.com and I don't think the KB's from my phone being tethered is adding into the list, only internet usuage when i use my phones actual internet.
    My question is, WHY?
    12-06-08 06:54 PM
    Hi..

I am using a blackberry Curve 8310. Can i use this bb as a modem for my pc/laptop.. Do i need to download any programme for it.. Pls let me have detailed informtion...

Thnx in advance.
    12-07-08 05:02 AM
    Been using mine for a couple of months and no change. I download my tv shows, so that's anywhere from 350mb - 700mb. Had a Sony Ericson that would allow tethering with ATT/Cingular and this one soooo much quicker. Very surprised and pleased with Sprints network.
    12-07-08 10:02 AM
    Oh, and I called Sprint just after I used it the first time and was told what it would cost a month AND then I was told that my BB would not work like that. Ididn't tell her that I had already did it and have been watching my account since and there's no change.
    12-07-08 10:32 AM
    I have followed the steps listed. I am on AT&T Cingular. When I dial I get Error 734: The PPP link control protocol was terminated. What do I do?
    12-07-08 02:22 PM
    Worked Perfectly on Bell with 8330
    12-08-08 01:15 PM
591 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD