I get as far as "verifying username and password" and it says failed to connect. What am I doing wrong?

I'm typing in [email protected]

Cingular1

My standard modem is com4 and desktop manager doesn't let me connect to com4, only com3 and PIN

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-08 08:13 PM
    Verify that you have the Desktop Manager version 4.2 and the software bundle that came with the handheld installed on your computer.

Query the modem, using the modems properties:

1 Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
    2 Double-click on Phone and modem options.
    3 Click on the Modems tab.
    4 Left-click on the modem installed above. (Standard Modem or Standard Modem over Bluetooth)
    5 Click Properties.
    6 Click the Diagnostics tab.
    7 Click Query Modem.
    8 If dialog shows in the empty box, the modem is responding, then continue with the below steps. Otherwise contact WDS Tier III.
    9 Click the Advanced tab.
    10 Check the Extra Initialization Command feild and ensure it is correct.

Enter the initialization command:

1 From your computer, click Start.
    2 Click Control Panel.
    3 Click Phone and Modem Options.
    4 Click the Modems tab.
    5 Scroll to Standard Modem.
    6 Click Properties.
    7 Click the Advanced tab.
    8 In the Extra Initialization Command field, enter the following:

IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
    Add only ONE of the following Extra initialization commands with the appropriate carrier specific command:

TMOBILE USA
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

Rogers Users
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.com"

Cingular Blue/AT&T
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","proxy"

Cingular Orange
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR"

UK Vodafone
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"

Verizon - Keep blank
    Nextel/Telus iDEN (untested) - Keep blank
    Sprint/Bell Mobility CDMA (untested) - Keep blank

Create dial-up networking :

1 From your computer, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, then Network Connections.
    2 Click Create a new connection, then Next.
    3 Select Connect to Internet.
    4 Select Set up my connection manually.
    5 Select Connect using a dial-up modem.
    6 Select the Standard Modem, then Next.
    7 Enter T-Mobile as the ISP Name.
    8 Enter *99# as the Phone number.
    9 Click Next.
    10 Leave the User name and Password feilds blank.
    11 Deselect all the optional check boxes in the bottom portion of this window.
    12 To create the connection, click Finish.
    13 In the Connect window, click Properties.
    14 In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
    15 In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK. In the Properties window, click OK.
    16 In the Connect window, select Save this user name and password for the following users.
    17 Select the appropriate option.
    18 Confirm that the BlackBerry Desktop Manager is running.
    *IMPORTANT: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running, or error 692 will appear during the dial up attempt. (i have 1 connection set for the standard modem, usb cable, & 1 connection set for the standard modem over bluetooth and have no problems getting a connection without connecting to desktop manager)
    19 Open the web browser and navigate to any website to test the connection.

If the laptop/PC connects but Internet Explorer does not, follow these steps:

1 From Internet Explorer, click Tools, then Internet Options....
    2 Click the Connections tab.
    3 From Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings, select T-Mobile.
    4 Click Set Default.
    5 Select Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
    6 Click OK.
    7 Click OK again.

That should do it!! [/QUOTE]

yeah i did that and it still isn't working for some reason whenever i try to get on it doesn't want to work i have my bb connected through the desktop software an i still cant seem to get it running im starting to get mad i cant really find out how to do this (Oh im running vista)
    Last edited by Germ_XD; 07-12-08 at 04:58 PM.
    07-12-08 04:21 PM
    Is there a way to tether without installing Desktop Manager?

On a 8120 Pearl with T-mobile and Windows XP Professional.
    07-14-08 02:33 PM
    If there are any other Swisscom clients out there, Here is how you make your BlackBerry work as a modem.

Follow kcladygemini's OP but also read the link below.

Do this and it will work.

BlackBerry Tethering with Swisscom
    Username: ......................... gprs
    Password: ......................... gprs
    Dialstring: ....................... *99***1#
    Modem Additional command string: .. at+cgdcont=1,"IP","gprs.swisscom.ch"
    Additional Resources - pplease read
    BlackBerry Search Results
    ogID=128888086&stateId=0%200%2057851326
    CONTACTS
    Swisscom Helpline numbers from within Switzerland
    General mobile Hotline 24/7: ... 0800 55 6464
    BlackBerry Helpline: ........... 0800 889911
    BlackBerry Tech Support: ....... 0900 333 221
    Swisscom SA
    Service technique
    Avenue des Bergi�res 42
    1000 Lausanne 22
    Hotline 0800 55 64 64 (free)
    Hotline From abroad +41 62 286 12 12 (charged)
    Fax 0800 55 76 00 (gratuit)
    From abroad +41 62 207 68 28 (charged)
    07-15-08 06:32 AM
    I've seen contradictory information as to if this is included in Sprint plans. I have the unlimited data plan (the one with shared minutes). Their website says tethering is not included but I have yet to incur charges for trying it out, though I haven't gotten this months bill yet and the charges may just have not yet showed up on the reps computers. Is anyone sure of Sprint policy on this?

07-16-08 08:08 PM
    So as far as everyone knows Verizon does charge to tether for the internet? There really isn't a solid answer from someone who has Verizon experience. Does anyone know for sure?
    07-21-08 03:23 AM
    Alright, I'm trying to do this with my laptop running Vista with my Tmobile 8320 upgraded to 4.5. I've tried this with both 4.2 and 4.5 firmware. First problem is connectivity. When I try to connect with bluetooth and I try to do it with a passkey my laptop will not connect to my BB. When I try it with no passkey it will connect and it's listed as a device however my BB asks for a numeric passkey (WTFO?) and will not connect to my laptop.
    The second problem is when I go to my modem properties to enter the Extra Initialization Commands it will not let me enter anything, no cursor no paste, nothing.
    Right now this is not that big an issue but when I go back into the army I want to be able to get online with the laptop without having to shell out $60 for an aircard. I can hook up with the USB cable, but I would like to have the option of a BT connection as well. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
    07-21-08 04:29 PM
    Sounds great and I might try it with my laptop while on the go. But I really like the speed of my home PC. Nothing like screaming Broadband. Hate the slow lane.
    =8')

07-21-08 04:36 PM
    Most excellent, this worked perfectly on my 8130 with my Sprint Everything Plan! I don't need to use my phone as a modem often... but when I'm in a crunch... this is perfect!
    07-22-08 11:58 AM
    Is there a way not to pay Verizon to do this?
    07-23-08 11:25 AM
    I don't think there's anyway around the $15 fee. I tried it unsuccessfully.
    07-23-08 11:38 AM
    I managed to connect, just now, with the BB plan that includes unlimited texting, GPS, Radio / TV, data, and email.

I'm waiting to see if charges incur. Used just under 1MB with in like a minute, lol, so hopefully not. If no usage charges pop up, my laptop is going to be a friend of mine again
    07-30-08 08:47 PM
    I'm afraid a I could not even get as far as connecting to GPRS with my BB, no less connecting with my PC (Windows XP). I have a blackberry 7230 and the T-Mobile total internet plan. I upgraded the phone OS to the latest offered by tmobile. When turning on the phone I am able to connect to the GSM voice network but I get a banner that says "data connection refused". Anyone have any ideas?

So it would seem no one has any ideas on how to get a Blackberry working with the T-mobile total internet plan. I need to use this plan instead of the BIS plan because RIM blocks ports I need to access my company's servers while in the field.

I have switched to a Motorola smart phone that works with the TTI service with no hassles, but I would like to switch back to my BB if there was a way I could use it with the TTI plan. Since no one seems to know if/how this can work, I've turned my loyalty to other smart phones.

If anyone has any ideas on how to use a BB with the T-Mobile Total Internet plan, please let me know.

Thanks.
    07-30-08 08:47 PM
    You know....I followed all the steps and am still unable to use my BB as a modem....I even downloaded desktop manager 4.1 and am still not able to detect my modem as a matter of fact-after I downloaded the 4.1 my laptop can not even detect my connection when I plug into my laptop. Can someone help me?!
    07-30-08 10:26 PM
    just tried using sprint smartview. everything works! now just going to see if anything appears on the bill.
    07-31-08 11:34 AM
    I had been able to connect. I upgraded my OS to 4.5.52 and now it won't let me connect? Is there something I need to change?
    07-31-08 11:50 AM
    It's been a full day and I'm not seeing any overages on my bill. So far, all is going to my unlimited data pool. Billing cycle ends in a few days, can tell for sure after that.
    07-31-08 11:11 PM
    ATT doesn't charge you for tethering your modem.
    07-31-08 11:47 PM
    I just tried the sprint view real quick. It works and literally is setup for you through the program. I do notice that the usage gets quite heavy as you use the full capabilites of a computer (downloads websites at full sizes) so in a matter of 5-10 minutes, it used about 5mbs whereas. 5mbs on my curve would last me about 5-7 days.

still new, so hopefully more can report on charges/problems.

im on the Simply Everything plan and saw speeds of 600kb down and 150kbup
    08-02-08 03:01 AM
    This works for me, I have the $30 bb plan w/ sprint. So what if you do get charged for usage? are you s.o.l.? or would it be possible to refute the charges?
    08-05-08 08:21 AM
    I tried to add the $15 PAM to my Sprint unlimited SEP and sprint told me that PAM is not available for U-SEP, SERO and a couple other plans.
    I asked what my options were and was told there are no options, PAM is not available in any way shape or form except pay by kbs used.
    08-06-08 10:56 AM
    okay so i have the 8320 with tmobile and i followed this guide to successfully bring a broke college student some internet. however when i went to my friends house and tried to do the same with his 8310 (i think) for AT&T i ran into a bunch of problems. i followed the instructions pretty close and when i ran into problems, i configured it for the tmobile network and it worked flawlessly. so the error that was setting me back was error 734 and i also used the initialization commands for Cingluar Blue/AT&T but when that didn't work i also tried using the just Cingluar one with the same error. Can anyone help me out because he doesn't have internet and i like spreading the knowledge that i get from here.
    Last edited by mariokie; 08-08-08 at 11:14 AM.
    08-08-08 11:11 AM
    Can anyone help me? I used to be able to connect until I upgraded my OS. What would have made me unable to connect? It gets to "verifying username/password" and the says unable to connect.

08-08-08 11:14 AM
    hey! i was the member that you tested it on! YAY for me!
    08-09-08 03:27 AM
    it's a crazy situation.
    I spent a day to make BB 8330 work at a modem in laptop. however, when i work on my pc, as i launch sprint smart view, i got the message" the PCTEL Roaming client that you are running is a demo version which has 30 days left.." I used the same software to install in laptop and it worked fine.

Please help. Thanks.
    PS: i use windows vista for both laptop + desktop.
    08-10-08 11:38 AM
591 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD