I searced and read. Can someone help me tether my tmo bold with windows 7 laptop

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    These steps work for 7.

Search in the 7 start menu for phone and modem.

Select the standard modem>properties>change settings>Advanced to enter the initialization command.

If you skip the change settings button, you will not be able to enter an init command, the box is an echo field. (at least mine is)

HTH
    12-08-09 12:03 PM
    Isnt Their Tethering methods now?? For certain o.s.'s?
    12-14-09 07:05 PM
    Isnt Their Tethering methods now?? For certain o.s.'s?
    That's what this thread is about! Or what are you asking? Do mean the using the dm 5.0.1 to do the configuration for you? Posts above your talk about this.

12-14-09 07:45 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong: for this method to work, your BB has to be connected to the computer via USB.

Is there a way to do this wirelessly, ie turn the BB into a wireless router, and get my laptop to connect to it?
    12-21-09 12:33 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong: for this method to work, your BB has to be connected to the computer via USB.

Is there a way to do this wirelessly, ie turn the BB into a wireless router, and get my laptop to connect to it?
    Yes, I have tethered via Bluetooth b4 on my bold 9000 and curve 8310 without problems. Speed is the same as usb. You have to pair your device to your computer for starters. Just search for one of the great guides here on CB or Google: "tether Bold to winxp" for example. I don't remember the steps as I set mine up a long time ago and just turn on bt on my Bold and then connect via desktop. I use it all the time on my Win XP SP3 laptop, but it uses data quickly. I had to take advange of Rogers dbl your data student offer for $5 (I'm not a student) and am right @ my 1GB limit @ the end of the month!

12-21-09 05:25 PM
    hey i been tryin to do it but i have windo7 how can i do iit please help thanx
    Last edited by la chula; 12-22-09 at 12:00 AM.
    12-21-09 11:56 PM
    hey i been tryin to do it but i have windo7 how can i do iit please help thanx
    The steps are pretty much the same with the menu items/names different or in different places. Just search for a vista guide on here and use common sense to find the item that is not as listed on win 7 or in a different place on win 7. On another note, I had some problems getting my Bold 9000 working on win 7. Ended up getting it going on win xp (with no problems). Good Luck & let me know if you get it working on win 7.

12-25-09 11:50 AM
    I tried for days and days and night after night to get my blackberry 8520 to work as a modem for windows 7 . I called t-mobile -no help. I called blackberry -they wanted to charge me 45.99. Finally I called blackberry AGAIN and a nice guy said that they could bill t-mobile (in order to help me) funny thing is I had just read and installed the correct version i needed for win 7 . But he did have to help me FULLY delete the wrong version -that came with my phone. So what fixed my problem was downloading the 5.0.1 desktop version. See windows 7 is so new that the version that came with my phone 2 weeks ago did not work. The guy at blackberry said this should not make a difference but after working on this sucker days and nights literally - It worked for me . I am on it now as a matter of fact. After all the he** I had to go through i just wanted to take the time to maybe make some one elses life a little easier and save a LOT of time - who ever reads this I sure hope this helped you!! It worked for me )
    12-29-09 11:42 PM
    Hellow all....please help...i have bb8830We and sprint.....when i tried to tether both these ways.........i get error 670..or some thing like this....please help me...i paired my bb8830 with laptop (win7)...installed all bb drivers, installed desktop..still error message........please help...save my life.
    12-31-09 05:23 PM
    07.30.08***EVEN BETTER NEWS FOR BB USERS***
    If you are on the Sprint network all you need to do is download Sprint SmartView
    and let it do the work for you. AFter you have installed the software (which says it's 37mb but after it was all said and done my PC says 57mb) all you gotta do is plug ur Blackberry in to the USB cable and the Sprint View Software will handle the rest. Lemme know if you have any Q's!!

06.12.08 NEW INFO UPDATE ******Good news for you Addicts with Sprint!!!! If you have an unlimited data plan for your Berry (ie. Simply Everything Plan), you can use these instructions to configure your Berry as a modem WITHOUT paying the additional $39.99 p/m for the Phone As Modem feature and WITHOUT incurring usage charges!!!! I tested this theory with another CB member who has the Simply Everything Plan & doesn't have the Phone As Modem feature. I checked the acct. throughout the bill cycle to make sure no usage charges were stacking up and there wasn't a single one!!!!

Now, the 2nd lil tid bit of info was sent to me by a CB member in Mexico with a few tweaks to the set up instructions for other's in Mexico wanting to use their Berry's as Modems. So, here ya go!!!!......

Under IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
    I added +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.itelcel.com"

USER NAME: webgprs / PASSWORD: webgprs2002 / # DIALED: *99#

My carrier is Telcel.
    P.S. This was done on a blackberry 8100 and I can not yet confirm if their will be and additional charge.

***PLEASE READ***
    T-Mobile is the ONLY carrier I can guarantee DOES NOT apply adtn'l charge for using this capability. For charges other carriers apply, most are mentioned throughout the posts here.
    **ALSO**
    Wish I did, but I don't have the instructions for set up on a MAC. T-Mobile will provide MAC OS instructions to you, just call 1.800.937.8997 or 611 from a T-Mob phone & ask for Tier III Tech Support.
    note: don't call from the phone you are setting up as a modem.

Why pay for internet service for your Blackberry & for your home PC? Your Blackberry's gotcha covered, it can do both. All you have to to do is set up yoru computer to recognize your Blackberry as a modem. And, of course, you also have to have an appropriate internet feature on your Blackberry from your carrier. These instructions were created for PC's running XP, but I know for a fact that this will also get the job done with Visa, Vista Premium, & Win 2000. The steps taken to get to the appropriate windows may differ a bit, but the actual set up is the same in all. Here ya go, hope this helps.!!

Verify that you have the Desktop Manager version 4.2 and the software bundle that came with the handheld installed on your computer.

Query the modem, using the modems properties:

1 Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
    2 Double-click on Phone and modem options.
    3 Click on the Modems tab.
    4 Left-click on the modem installed above. (Standard Modem or Standard Modem over Bluetooth)
    5 Click Properties.
    6 Click the Diagnostics tab.
    7 Click Query Modem.
    8 If dialog shows in the empty box, the modem is responding, then continue with the below steps. Otherwise contact WDS Tier III.
    9 Click the Advanced tab.
    10 Check the Extra Initialization Command feild and ensure it is correct.

Enter the initialization command:

1 From your computer, click Start.
    2 Click Control Panel.
    3 Click Phone and Modem Options.
    4 Click the Modems tab.
    5 Scroll to Standard Modem.
    6 Click Properties.
    7 Click the Advanced tab.
    8 In the Extra Initialization Command field, enter the following:

IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
    Add only ONE of the following Extra initialization commands with the appropriate carrier specific command:

TMOBILE USA
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

Rogers Users
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.com"

Cingular Blue/AT&T
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","proxy"

Cingular Orange
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR"

UK Vodafone
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"

Verizon - Keep blank
    Nextel/Telus iDEN (untested) - Keep blank
    Sprint/Bell Mobility CDMA (untested) - Keep blank

Create dial-up networking :

1 From your computer, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, then Network Connections.
    2 Click Create a new connection, then Next.
    3 Select Connect to Internet.
    4 Select Set up my connection manually.
    5 Select Connect using a dial-up modem.
    6 Select the Standard Modem, then Next.
    7 Enter T-Mobile as the ISP Name.
    8 Enter *99# as the Phone number.
    9 Click Next.
    10 Leave the User name and Password feilds blank.
    11 Deselect all the optional check boxes in the bottom portion of this window.
    12 To create the connection, click Finish.
    13 In the Connect window, click Properties.
    14 In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
    15 In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK. In the Properties window, click OK.
    16 In the Connect window, select Save this user name and password for the following users.
    17 Select the appropriate option.
    18 Confirm that the BlackBerry Desktop Manager is running.
    *IMPORTANT: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running, or error 692 will appear during the dial up attempt. (i have 1 connection set for the standard modem, usb cable, & 1 connection set for the standard modem over bluetooth and have no problems getting a connection without connecting to desktop manager)
    19 Open the web browser and navigate to any website to test the connection.

If the laptop/PC connects but Internet Explorer does not, follow these steps:

1 From Internet Explorer, click Tools, then Internet Options....
    2 Click the Connections tab.
    3 From Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings, select T-Mobile.
    4 Click Set Default.
    5 Select Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
    6 Click OK.
    7 Click OK again.

That should do it!!
    will this work for the 8350i (boostberry)??

thanks!
    01-02-10 09:32 PM
    I have a Sprint 9630 Tour and am attempting to use SmartView to connect my laptop to the 3g Network. I am getting the following error after trying to connect (attached).

Does Sprint allow tethering anymore with the Blackberry? Please advise.
    01-03-10 12:31 PM
    Hi, a few questions for anyone who can help:

1. Do the different rate plans, $30 and $45 still exist? I know the $60 plan does, because its what I have. When I called AT&T in the past to see if I could lower my bill, they told me no?? I guess I need to ask for a specific package?

2. Using the instructions on the first page, with my Bold tethered and connected to the Internet, I can get as far as "Query Modem", but I get an error saying: "THE PORT THAT THE MODEM IS USING IS CURRENTLY OPEN BY ANOTHER APPLICATION. EXIT ANY APPLICATION THAT MAY CURRENLY BE USING THE PORT. - Any ideas on this??

3. Under the MODEM tab, it says that the maximum port speed is 115200. Is this correct and IF NOT, how do I change it?

Thanks CB members!
    01-06-10 05:34 PM
    Gone threw the steps here several times and I can not get my Bold on Tmobile to tether. I am running Windows 7. Does any have step by step instructions how to tether using Windows 7?
    01-10-10 11:55 AM
    I have the same issue, and found that I had to first start the bb data manager, then start the dailup connection u setup to use your bb.

Gone threw the steps here several times and I can not get my Bold on Tmobile to tether. I am running Windows 7. Does any have step by step instructions how to tether using Windows 7?
    01-10-10 12:10 PM
    getting error 633 . I plug in my bb plugged in via the USB and the DM is open before I try and do the set up network..
    01-10-10 12:23 PM
    i installed the sprintsmartview but i dont know what to do...when i start the sprintsmartview and connect my blackberry tour with the usb cable i see on the sprintsmartview that says no device detected...??? please help
    02-03-10 02:26 AM
    I have an unlimited plan through AT&T, so I shouldn't worry about any additional charges, right?
    Also, I'm running Windows 7, so would that make any difference?

02-03-10 03:03 AM
    I was using the Sprint Smart View for a long time. Its one of the reasons Why I went to Sprint. Late last year they blocked everyone. I wanted to switch and take the hit for the early termination fee. Found out about this company that you can tether the blackberry with. Its tether dot com. It was slow at first but recently after changing its name from tetherberry to jus tether they have upgraded their system. I use it to hook up to my netbook and while showing homes to clients (real estate agent) if there is one on the block I can surf the web for the info and pictures of inside the home. Its not as fast as T3 or your DSL or Cable but it seems faster than dial up. You can do a braodband test. It might depend on your carrier.

Its great TETHER now has bluetooth connection so its completly wireless. Unfortunatly I have a toshiba netbook with the infamous bluetstack from toshiba. So I cant take advantage of the BT. But some of you may!

Oh its a one time fee of I think $45 but crackberry sometimes runs a promo of it.
    02-08-10 08:25 PM
    This isn't working for me at all. My storm2 is plugged in via USB and I have the new DM installed. When I try to query the modem, it comes up with an error that no modem device is available.

Edit: I finally got it to work and it keeps sending me to the verizon page asking to signup for tethering at $30 a month. Looks like this is a no go unless you decide to signup. Verizon for the LOSS.
    Last edited by ZXMustang; 02-10-10 at 01:33 PM.
    02-10-10 01:04 PM
    Edit: I finally got it to work and it keeps sending me to the verizon page asking to signup for tethering at $30 a month. Looks like this is a no go unless you decide to signup. Verizon for the LOSS.
    Unfortunately, VZW, AT&T, Sprint charge for tethering. I could be wrong so if I am, please correct me. T-Mobile is the only carrier that doesn't charge.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-10-10 05:48 PM
    Found out about this company that you can tether the blackberry with. Its tether dot com. It was slow at first but recently after changing its name from tetherberry to jus tether they have upgraded their system.

Oh its a one time fee of I think $45 but crackberry sometimes runs a promo of it.
    Does anyone know if at&t charges you extra if you use tether (formerly tetherberry)?
    02-11-10 03:43 PM
    In theory, the use of Tether (PDANet etc) is against their Terms of Service and, in theory, they could charge you if they found out. Both programs cited above just make it look as if you are surfing on your cell phone. The giveaway would be lots of data usage - like downloading movies or software updates.

You should be OK if you only use it when other connections are unavailable - in an out-of-the-way hotel, an airport, sitting in your car or the like.
    02-15-10 02:32 PM
    Can anyone please be concise and to the point to configure for Curve with AT&T as ISP? Thanks very, very much. Manny
    02-21-10 01:12 AM
    The newest BlackBerry Desktop Software enables you to use your berries as a modem on PCsm I tried it and works well. In the main menu of the software there is a icon for using the phone as a modem.

By the way I'm a BIS user and disabled WAP connection to prevent extra charges by calling my carrier. As I can use the modem feature with no problems, it means that it uses the data plan I got with BIS service.
    Last edited by Wolframinn; 02-23-10 at 05:37 AM.
    02-23-10 05:35 AM
    Hello everyone! Is anyone else experiencing issues with tethering on the T-Mobile network? It seems I'm getting kicked off every few minutes or so. At times I can tether for hours. It's frustrating.
    02-24-10 06:03 PM
591 ... 2021222324
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD