I'm using it with 4.6, so I'm assuming 4.2 is the minimum you would need.

Thank you. I got it too work with 4.5

According to speedtest.net my

Download kb/s is 164
    Upload kb/s is 29

I'm on T-Mobile USA, based in Cincinnati Ohio.
    03-22-09 07:25 PM
    I have been tethering for months now with no problems with a Curve 8310 on AT&T, under 2 meg download and no extra charges. I just switched to a Bold and it tethers fine on my Acer laptop, both with USB cable and DM running AND with Bluetooth with a Kensington USB dongle and no DM running. However, on my MSI Wind I can only get it to work with USB cable and DM running, not with the built in bluetooth. I got it to work once with bluetooth but something changed and now it will not work. I can plug in my Kensington USB bluetooth dongle and it will work fine, no cable and no DM running, which is what I am using now. When I try to set up a bluetooth connection with the built in bluetooth I get 692, 633, 638, etc error messages. Everything is set up the same. I have checked everything I can think of to no avail. Need some suggestions, Please. This is driving me nuts. I know it will work I'm just doing something wrong. Also tried Tetherberry which worked fine, but I uninstalled it cause I don't want to be tethered!

3/29/09 - Any help out there with this?? I'm getting more frustrated.
    Last edited by mjth61; 03-30-09 at 12:01 AM.
    03-22-09 09:40 PM
    Can this be used in place of a wireless network?

I am sure this seems like a trival question, but first time user. I currently have a bold 9000 and love it, but I feel like it can do more than it is. I also have a home pc that i have set up on a wireless network, but with the times the way they are, I am looking to control as much spending power as possilble, so please excuse the basic questions that I have.
    03-23-09 01:38 PM
    What is this? What is the difference or advantage of using Wifi vs. Blue Tooth (BT=Bluetooth?????; tongle?????)?
    03-23-09 02:07 PM
    Thanks a million! I followed these instructions with a T-Mobile BlackBerry Curve 8320 and it worked like a charm. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    03-26-09 10:32 AM
    awesome! i have been wanting to do this for the longest time.. i am a tmobile subscriber.....pay for play

Thanks again!
    03-26-09 09:38 PM
    I think this may be due to carrier...i have tmobile and i would get calls and all it would do if i answered would be to drop connection....i do know that i was able to text and tether at same time... tmobile...
    03-26-09 09:42 PM
    awesome topic very helpful
    03-27-09 02:20 PM
    this works great with my BBcurve 8330 on Sprint. will I see a charge for tethering?
    03-27-09 05:09 PM
    I'm with the other Sprint users on this post. My 8130 using the Sprint view works awesome. Called Sprint to see if it would be an extra charge or fall under the SEP and they said it wasn't an option and it shouldn't work. Called again (first guy wasn't given me the hard worker vibe) and the lady said basically the same thing but transferred me to a technical support guy. He said that for some reason it works. Its not suppose to with the SEP plan you are suppose to buy some other data plan but for now the system lets it happen and its not really tracked until you hit the 5G limit then its throttled back. He said laughingly that he uses his phone this way with sprint and has yet to see a problem or a charge, but it might work for 6 months then not after that or until Sprint gets around to doing something about it. Works for me !
    03-29-09 08:24 PM
    I'm reading this on my phone and don't feel like looking through 21 pages.. So what's the number to dial out for at&t? And is there a user or pass?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-09 10:16 AM
    Hi there, I'm on O2 in the UK, and someone recommended this thread to me; i've tried all kinds of things to get my 8900 curve connecting via Vista, but it just won't play ball..

I'm using AT+CGDCONT=1, "ip", "mobile.o2.co.uk" in the 'extra initialisation commands' box and password o2web, username faster, but i still cannot get it to connect, it gives a PPP protocol error... someone else gave me the official solution to this error, but this hasn't done anything for me... does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Ian
    04-03-09 11:30 AM
    Hello all,

I have been thinking about doing this and have read all the responses about no charges but I got this info on another forum.

"Taken from the Terms and Conditions of their "Everything" plans:

"Except with Phone-as-Modem plans, you may not use a phone (including a Bluetooth phone) as a modem in connection with a computer, PDA, or similar device. We reserve the right to deny or terminate service without notice for any misuse or any use that adversely affects network performance."

You need the add-on, or they can terminate your service."

This makes me think twice before doing this as we have been with Sprint forever and I like the service.

Thoughts???
    04-03-09 12:23 PM
    It worked but now I'm getting an error 500 message whenever I get online. Please help. I'm on Tmobile.

04-05-09 10:38 PM
    Nice idea!!
    04-06-09 10:38 AM
    Hey guys! It works great wit me! I juz got a new computer and I dloaded sprint smartview usin my friends internet and I plugged in my 8330 and it read it then I clicked the connect button and voila! It was that easy!

The connection is fast too. I can watch videos wit no problem. I got the SEP wit sprint.

04-07-09 09:41 PM
    would that be like using verizon's VZ Access Manager??
    04-08-09 12:01 AM
    has any sprint carriers tried this? were they any charges on there bills
    04-09-09 07:53 PM
    who needs the wireless cards? Ha!
    04-11-09 11:30 AM
    I keep getting the 734 error
    04-13-09 01:21 PM
    I couldn't get this to work with the APNs listed, but it worked perfectly with +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.cingular"

I'm on ATT and that is the APN in my bold. Any reason not to use this as the APN?
    THAT finally worked for me.
    04-13-09 01:30 PM
    i use my phone as a modem just fine. sometimes i have to restart the program 3 or 4 times before my phone is recognized as a modem, but that is fine with me. I also called sprint one time and they told me i have to pay extra for the phone-as-modem service eventhough I have the SEP and that my phone could not be used as a modem otherwise. So i hung up on her and "used my phone as a modem" hahahahaha
    04-15-09 02:47 PM
    I'm a bold user on AT&T and I'm curious if anyone has used this method without a tethering plan for a long-term period of time? Were there additional charges, disconnect, etc?
    04-15-09 04:48 PM
    I get connected with smartview latest version and DM 4.5.0.0.131 BUT web page won't connect. Of course, email won't work either. Did this break with the 4.5 software upgrade?
    Last edited by fillrm; 04-20-09 at 06:35 PM.
    04-19-09 02:05 PM
    it doesnt work for me. i have t mobile help!!!!!!!!
    04-20-09 01:56 PM
591 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD