why do u guys use those extra programs anyway? its really easy without...
    11-03-08 09:49 AM
    just wanted to report:

i finally got to set up the whole thing perfectly and areas with good hsdpa connection my internet ist fast like a dsl6000.

blackberry rocks!
    11-05-08 05:34 AM
    So everyone tethering there data plan on tmob have you noticed your burning through your phone minutes or am I missing something. Also I'm not on any data plan yet but is this possible to do this for tmob users who have the cheapo $6 web and apps plan? Just curious. Did I mention I'm cheap.
    11-05-08 08:33 AM
    I tried all the above instructions and couldn't connect, so I called at&t and found their plan to be $30/mo. It works really well and seems a bit faster than the dialup I remember from the late 90's.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-08 08:09 AM
    I have a blackberry pearl on Sprint network. I have the family share plan with unlimited data. I am leaving tomorrow and going on a 9 hour train ride and want to be 100% sure that I will not be charged any tethering fee by using the Sprint SmartView software. Is there any1 that can confirm that with my plan I will not be charged any extra fees?
    11-07-08 12:12 AM
    Hi, I use my BB now to connect teethered for internet but I would like to use it as a dialup to other computers as if on a landline. I use Alltel but since already have data plan shouldn't be an issue. Just need to configure. Any ideas.
    11-08-08 07:22 AM
    i remain quite skeptical about why Sprint would let me do this for free when they sell a phone as modem plan for however many dollars a month, so I'm going to have my husband test it on his laptop.

Does anyone have a guess as to how quickly this information will show up on the sprint customer site if it's going to charge us and how the charge will be listed?

We already have the Blackberry internet service with unlimited data on our plan, so will it just show up as additional data usage?

I find it very hard to believe that Sprint can't track this or chooses not too. I will report back my findings for others who don't want to risk it.
    11-10-08 07:42 AM
    i remain quite skeptical about why Sprint would let me do this for free when they sell a phone as modem plan for however many dollars a month, so I'm going to have my husband test it on his laptop.

Does anyone have a guess as to how quickly this information will show up on the sprint customer site if it's going to charge us and how the charge will be listed?

We already have the Blackberry internet service with unlimited data on our plan, so will it just show up as additional data usage?

I find it very hard to believe that Sprint can't track this or chooses not too. I will report back my findings for others who don't want to risk it.

This is kind of like my question. On Tmob I wonder where the usage charge is applied. minutes and data or just data.
    11-10-08 10:32 AM
    Is there a charge to tether with USCellular?
    11-10-08 11:56 AM
    My situation is the same as SparkChaser's. It detects Wi-Fi immediately, but it doesn't detect anything as a modem for the Internet... What is wrong?
    Here is what I do and it works for me:
    1) open Smartview
    2) connect BB to computer via usb
    3) click tab for mobile and wait for it to recognize my phone which can take up to ~20 seconds
    4) once recognized, click connect

Once connected, it will show you how fast the connection is at the bottom of the Smartview window

No need to have DM running while tethering using Smartview

If this does not work then the situation needs additional details/research on your end to determine why it is not recognizing your phone.YMMV
    11-12-08 03:06 PM
    I have an att curve, unlim data, she has the same in VZ, tether/data charges

the guy at VZ said thru bluetooth you can use the bb as a modem. you just need the tether on your plan. ok great.

we tried and tried, then talked to a few ppl and mention the fact it was a Macbook. i can get mine and hers to pair up, np. but as soon as i try to make a connection with the little phone icon at the top of the screen, "connecting....." starts to scroll then "discon...." comes up and it said it failed to make a connection.

i have tried anything i can think of. i've read this whole thread discussing this issue. does anyone have a def answer or step by step for this?

we have tried what a previous poster posted to no avail.

help
    11-13-08 02:39 PM
    i ran the instructions above on my laptop. only i get Error 734: The ppp link control protocol was terminated. does it matter that my curve 8310 is under a cingular network and i still set up the modem connection wizard with the name t-mobil with the number *99#, or is that the neccessary configuration for the modem setup? if so, why do i still get that error?
    11-14-08 07:01 PM
    I signed up for the att tethering ($30) and it works mediocre at best. Constant battery pulls are fustrating. Now, I get a 734 error. I've done everything the trouble shooting has suggested and it still won't work. I called att, but of course since my cell phone is my ONLY phone from which to call them, they can't help me.
    Can someone please help? I'm about to throw my poor BB across the room!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 11:58 AM
    I'm getting the same "Error 734". Anybody know what's going on?
    11-15-08 01:24 PM
    Today I just switched to T-Mo from AT&T. T-Mo offers free tethering vs. $30 w/AT&T. And, unlimited data is only $19.99 vs. $35 w/AT&T. I couldn't stand all the gloating from the T-Mo subscribers. Plus, I can cancel my home DSL service from CavTel.
    11-15-08 06:50 PM

hey did you get you check your charges to see if they charge or not. i keep on seeing the 5gb data limit thing...
    11-15-08 06:58 PM
    This is a great workaround, but is there one for PocketMac?
    11-16-08 08:56 PM
    hey did you get you check your charges to see if they charge or not. i keep on seeing the 5gb data limit thing...
    unfortunately Mr. Melbell, who was the one who wanted to do this in the first place, seems to have completely lost interest in trying this out. I will see if he will do it tomorrow. Don't know if I'll have much luck though, can't seem to drag him away from Wrath of the Lich King :P
    11-17-08 12:01 AM
    hi,

Airtel india, anybody knows how would it work with it in terms of commands. I am using 8800, and have unlimited data plan.

rgds,

Kamal gulati
    11-18-08 01:33 AM
    This is sick!!! My only question is if it is safe to increase the maximum speed (under the modem configuration)? Also, is there any way to do port forwarding for torrents?
    Last edited by drd525; 11-18-08 at 02:49 PM.
    11-18-08 02:33 PM
    So has anyone on Verizon ever gotten this to work without paying the additional cost?

I already pay over $140 per month for all the stuff I get and I just cant pay anymore.....

11-18-08 07:25 PM
    Try MOBISHARK it works with the storm too.
    11-20-08 10:32 PM
    So has anyone on Verizon ever gotten this to work without paying the additional cost?

I already pay over $140 per month for all the stuff I get and I just cant pay anymore.....

ouch.
    How do you know when your over your head with your smartphone and all it's add on features/plans? ...

when your monthly bill starts to resemble the amount you were paying monthly on your first car loan
    11-21-08 01:02 PM
    if anyone out there has mobishark running with the storm please let me know what your settings are. This is my first blackberry and windows mobile is my expertise. I have tried all the setting imaginable and not matter what i do all i get is that wonderful verizon page telling me pay for it. Anyone out there please help!!!
    11-21-08 11:31 PM
    Hello and Thanks for the instructions.

I am trying to tether my company laptop which has a T Systems (as in t-mobile) MCA client - which manages the VPN Connection.

I went through the tethering instructions, and it actually seems to work, but whein I connect, I get the "connected" message and then the system disconnects and the MSA client window pops up and says " A RAS connection, that was set up by another application, has been disconnected."

I am thinking that I am pretty much stuck - as ideally I would like to use the MSA-VPN with the tether to get e-mail while traveling - and it looks like they conflict with one another.

I'll see what I can "play" with in the MCA configuration - with my luck I will probably lock myself out of my VPN....

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

OK - Few more notes -

I changed some of the config setting on the MCA Security :

The only enables device configuration was analog, I turned on GSM (Config for the BB-modem) and the GPRS/UMTS (also shows this modem)

Since I chenges the security settings - I restarted, but when I tried to connect the Modems Extra Initiialization command was changed to AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.t-mabile" - and the modem returned an error 734 - I had to re-type the +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com" code.

Once I did this I still get the modem to connect 115KB / sec for about 10 seccondes thenthe MCA Security system cuts it off with the RAS connection message.

I'm done for now -

Paul
    Last edited by paul.j.moore; 11-23-08 at 11:35 AM.
    11-23-08 10:59 AM
591 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD