not exactly true, I'm on AT&T and haven't tried this yet as they want another $20/month, but my partner is on T-Mobile and not only is it free, we tested it about 100 times and everytime the phone call comes through even while connected to comp.

Great post but users need to remember while you are using Blackberry as a Modem, your incoming phone calls with go directly to Voicemail.
    10-14-08 07:08 PM
    This one works great!
    Appreciating the help, though still no luck. I've just spent a couple hours trying every which way. As far as Computer troubleshooting I definitely didn't just fall off the turnip truck and that's why I'm totally flustered. Bummer really.

I toy'd with my carriers connection manager software as well, and as the Bold is not supported I tried 8300, 8310 & 8800 to no avail. So I travelled down some manual set up procedures which sets up a modem for you and a connection... no go unfortunately. I tried with no user name and password, didn't work either. Tried following some of the suggestions from this forum adopting "Initialization Commands" Yes & No. Standard Modem selections and even the "Smartphone Wireless USB Modem" connection my Device Manager sees as well as my Modem setup (One and/or the other) no go. I saw some info when working with the "Rogers Connection Manager" which was using:

User name: Wapuser1 (Tried with and without)
    Dial up #: *99***1# (Hey, I tried #777 and *99#)

Initialization commands - With and without. (Tried the rogers one from post above and tried the ATT one too)

So every scenario I could think of, mix and match... Dead end

Again, I left it too late to call my Carriers Business support group to see if they can actually help, but I think that's next.

I appreciate the help really. I've been helped on this forum many a time and I have helped a number people myself. Just doesn't work everytime for everyone.
    10-14-08 08:19 PM
    Having a modem in Vegas would have been nice instead of the $$$$ they charged!
    10-15-08 01:49 AM
    Just wanted to thank everyone here on the forum. I used to have a Sony Ericsson W600 that tethered and was a sweet deal. Now, I'm a crackberry fanatic an it's nice to be able to use this the same way. Anyone on Sprint? I know theres a 5GB limit, but does that go for tethering too?
    10-15-08 09:08 PM
    Ok so if you use smartview for sprint dose is charge anything? I already have unlimited internet on my phone but not simply everything

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-08 03:57 PM
    you need to have a PAM plan...but using this trick can work...but if they find out.you may end up with a very expensive bill
    10-17-08 04:33 PM
    Ok so if you use smartview for sprint dose is charge anything? I already have unlimited internet on my phone but not simply everything

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Nope.............
    You just have to go to bbsmart and download a trial version, and install it.

You will not really need bbsmart if you get the new OS 4.5.
    10-17-08 07:09 PM
    not sure if this was addressed but heres a quiestion....

can i connect wireless from my wireless ??? lol . i keep having the impresion that i saw somewhere that u can connect to the laptop thru bluetooth. tryied a few things but didnt get the hang of it.

i just wanna be even more lazy :P

i use the Sprint Mobile Broadband software and the usb cable to connect my laptop. the speed is amazing. it puts DSL to shame and makes comcast shiver .
    10-19-08 11:39 PM
    not sure if this was addressed but heres a quiestion....

can i connect wireless from my wireless ??? lol . i keep having the impresion that i saw somewhere that u can connect to the laptop thru bluetooth. tryied a few things but didnt get the hang of it.

i just wanna be even more lazy :P

i use the Sprint Mobile Broadband software and the usb cable to connect my laptop. the speed is amazing. it puts DSL to shame and makes comcast shiver .
    Yes you need a 3G,EVDO router and I don't know where you are or what service you have but if it's slower than your 3G that's pitiful. I've had DSL and now currently have cable broadband and a Sprint broadband card and my home cable service is twice as fast.Kyocera KR2 EVDO Router Review : EVDOinfo.com
    10-20-08 07:12 AM
    A little tip for tethering:

Set the Modem's Maximum Speed (bps) to 921600 instead of the default 115200. I tried this on my T-Mobile 8320 and the throughput went from 2.5 to 6.0 Kbps.
    10-24-08 01:45 PM
    ok so i have a question..... i just down loaded the sprint smartview found on CB and it's working like a charm and i have the SEP W/ sprint will i get charged????
    i am using a curve 8330 os 4.3
    10-24-08 07:47 PM
    I tried this but it doesn't work...
    10-26-08 02:53 AM
    I tethered my phone to my laptop sometime ago, and it worked fine. Recently, it had stopped working, so i tried re-doing and it still doesn't work. So, I am at a loss i guess
    10-27-08 03:17 PM
    [email protected] has more information for many phone, medems, aircards & tethering.
    The KC lady posted good information, it fits what I have learned using phones & air cards on Alltel, VZW, ATT & Cingular.
    10-27-08 08:06 PM
    I have it for Centennial Wireless in Puerto Rico. If Anyone needs it, [email protected]
    10-28-08 10:53 PM
    Well, I went through the instructions. The modem queried properly on my 8330. Opened up Internet Explorer and it brought me instantly to Verizon's web page that informed me that if I click the button to agree, it will cost me an additional $30/mo for tethered modem access. This is over and above the $29.99/mo I already pay for unlimited internet on my Curve.
    10-28-08 11:46 PM
    It works! Thank you, kcladygemini.
    10-29-08 05:00 PM
    I am wondering have any Canadians here had any success with this through Telus as a Carrier using the 8130?
    10-30-08 11:44 AM
    having trouble now getting a error 633 message
    10-30-08 06:00 PM
    ok so i have a question..... i just down loaded the sprint smartview found on CB and it's working like a charm and i have the SEP W/ sprint will i get charged????
    i am using a curve 8330 os 4.3
    I have been using Sprint Smartview and have the SEP as well. I have checked my usage by logging online to my account at Sprint. My account tells me how much data I have used and right next to it, it says I have "unlimited remaining" So as of right now according to mine, Sprint does not charge extra but I will know for certain when my next bill comes.YMMV
    10-30-08 06:45 PM
    I must be doing something wrong or have a setting wrong somewhere because I can't get the Sprint software to recognize my phone. Here is my pertinent information:

8330 Curve
    OS v4.3.0.127
    Desktop Manager v4.6
    Sprint SmartView v1.18.3.0

The Desktop manager sees the phone and syncs just fine. The SmartView program sees my wireless gateway and will actually connect to it, so it seems to be working fine. Whenever I go to the Mobile tab, it just says "No Wireless Device Detected". I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling SmartView, but no luck. I am out of ideas, any help would be appreciated.
    No need to run Desktop Manager while using the Smartview.
    10-30-08 06:51 PM
    For those who use a DUN on Sprint, I have just tested the speed using the Smartview to connect vs. DUN(#777) and the Smartview was much faster at d/l but slower at u/l. Anyone else test this also?
    10-30-08 06:52 PM
    Still no luck. I have followed the Post 1 steps several times attempting to connect.

BOLD 9000
    ROGERS

I've looked for help here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/how...d-modem-71166/ Carrier APN Settings - ModMyi - Wiki

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/bol...-rogers-76502/

BlackBerry device as a tethered modem - BlackBerry Forums

Using BlackBerry As Modem - BlackBerryFAQ

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...em-laptop.html

This is one thing that is driving me mad, I just don't get why I'm not getting what others are on Rogers

Username: wapuser1
    Password: wap

Extra Initialization:

Rogers Users
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.com"

DIALED: *99#

Generic Modem - several different COM's
    Smartphone USB Modem - can't even query that one.

Another couple hours today and another dead end
    Last edited by PvT; 11-01-08 at 02:58 PM.
    11-01-08 02:55 PM
    hey mates, i followed this tut and it worked out so far. the only question i have is: what is the maximum rate for the modem? i tried out 9600bps and it works. but when i add a modem with 56000 it doesnt work.

regards, lam
    ps: sorry for my bad english
    11-03-08 05:02 AM
    No need to run Desktop Manager while using the Smartview.
    My situation is the same as SparkChaser's. It detects Wi-Fi immediately, but it doesn't detect anything as a modem for the Internet... What is wrong?
    11-03-08 08:11 AM
591 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD