Sprintview works wonderful with the cable, no extra charges this past month at all. As for using the BT to connect, no luck there so, Im wondering the same thing.

Anyone have any clue IF this is even possible or are we still tied to the cable?

Any way to use bluetooth instead of the USB cable while using Sprint's SmartView?
    09-09-08 09:47 PM
    I can't even get the first step to work. I have:
    DM:4.6.0.12
    09-12-08 06:08 PM
    Well, on Verizon's webite it advertises Broadband Access

Sounds like it's just part of the blackberry plan. And if you go over 5GB it'll charge you extra.
    BroadBand Access is for a standalone modem (PC card or USB). BroadBand Access Connect is the plan for tethering any capable handset to a PC. Attempting to tether without adding BBA-C to your plan is a violation of the VZW terms and conditions and will result in hefty charges...
    09-13-08 05:02 AM
    BroadBand Access is for a standalone modem (PC card or USB). BroadBand Access Connect is the plan for tethering any capable handset to a PC. Attempting to tether without adding BBA-C to your plan is a violation of the VZW terms and conditions and will result in hefty charges...
    you sound like you work for verizon
    09-13-08 09:38 AM
    you sound like you work for verizon

I only want to help. No one likes unpleasant surprises on their bill.
    09-15-08 01:52 AM
    Listen help me I'm paying an arm and a leg to verizon and want to use my bberry as a modem for my laptop when i'm on the road. Someone posted step by step directions but something always trips me up

I got to a point where I queried the modem and if it failed to respond I'm supposed to go to "WDM Tier 3" or something like that what?!!

Please someone give me step by step directions that even I can understand thanks a lot
    09-15-08 09:46 PM
    WDS or Tier III means Wireless Data Support. If your blackberry failed to query you will need to contact your carrier and talk to their wireless data support group.
    09-16-08 04:32 PM
    I don't understand why with T-Mobile tethering is free and their unlimited data plan only costs $20.00 a month. Verizon's service costs more a month AND doesn't include tethering???

It makes me really happy that I have T-Mobile. But it also makes me worried that T-Mobile will suddenly start charging for tethering, without notifying me, and suddenly I'd have a big bill. Does anyone else have this fear or am I just paranoid because of the bad reputations that cell phone companies have for pulling stunts like this? (Although, I must say, I switched to T-Mobile 6 years ago after Sprint played a surprise stunt on me-- one of several-- and T-Mobile has never, ever pulled a suprise on my bill. BUT I guess there's always a first time... so I'm worried... perhaps unnecessarily??)
    09-16-08 05:36 PM
    Wait so even if I have the Everything plan from Sprint (meaning no unlimited talk) I can still use my BB as a modem with no charges?
    09-23-08 11:02 AM
    I'm afraid a I could not even get as far as connecting to GPRS with my BB, no less connecting with my PC (Windows XP). I have a blackberry 7230 and the T-Mobile total internet plan. I upgraded the phone OS to the latest offered by tmobile. When turning on the phone I am able to connect to the GSM voice network but I get a banner that says "data connection refused". Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Just because you have the T-mob internet plan does not mean you have full data... you have to have a Data plan.

you could get the limited one for ten bucks...
    09-23-08 01:22 PM
    I don't understand why with T-Mobile tethering is free and their unlimited data plan only costs $20.00 a month. Verizon's service costs more a month AND doesn't include tethering???

It makes me really happy that I have T-Mobile. But it also makes me worried that T-Mobile will suddenly start charging for tethering, without notifying me, and suddenly I'd have a big bill. Does anyone else have this fear or am I just paranoid because of the bad reputations that cell phone companies have for pulling stunts like this? (Although, I must say, I switched to T-Mobile 6 years ago after Sprint played a surprise stunt on me-- one of several-- and T-Mobile has never, ever pulled a suprise on my bill. BUT I guess there's always a first time... so I'm worried... perhaps unnecessarily??)

I'm not worried about it. I've never had a problem with T-mo either..
    09-23-08 01:28 PM
    Sprintview works wonderful with the cable, no extra charges this past month at all. As for using the BT to connect, no luck there so, Im wondering the same thing.

Anyone have any clue IF this is even possible or are we still tied to the cable?
    Yes, it is possible, I do it with out any cables. First, you need Blackberry Desktop Software. Install it and in the connect options, choose bluetooht.
    After that, you can connect via BT with sprintview, without doing anything else!
    09-23-08 01:51 PM
    07.30.08***EVEN BETTER NEWS FOR BB USERS***
    If you are on the Sprint network all you need to do is download Sprint SmartView
    and let it do the work for you. AFter you have installed the software (which says it's 37mb but after it was all said and done my PC says 57mb) all you gotta do is plug ur Blackberry in to the USB cable and the Sprint View Software will handle the rest. Lemme know if you have any Q's!!

06.12.08 NEW INFO UPDATE ******Good news for you Addicts with Sprint!!!! If you have an unlimited data plan for your Berry (ie. Simply Everything Plan), you can use these instructions to configure your Berry as a modem WITHOUT paying the additional $39.99 p/m for the Phone As Modem feature and WITHOUT incurring usage charges!!!! I tested this theory with another CB member who has the Simply Everything Plan & doesn't have the Phone As Modem feature. I checked the acct. throughout the bill cycle to make sure no usage charges were stacking up and there wasn't a single one!!!!

Now, the 2nd lil tid bit of info was sent to me by a CB member in Mexico with a few tweaks to the set up instructions for other's in Mexico wanting to use their Berry's as Modems. So, here ya go!!!!......

Under IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
    I added +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.itelcel.com"

USER NAME: webgprs / PASSWORD: webgprs2002 / # DIALED: *99#

My carrier is Telcel.
    P.S. This was done on a blackberry 8100 and I can not yet confirm if their will be and additional charge.

***PLEASE READ***
    T-Mobile is the ONLY carrier I can guarantee DOES NOT apply adtn'l charge for using this capability. For charges other carriers apply, most are mentioned throughout the posts here.
    **ALSO**
    Wish I did, but I don't have the instructions for set up on a MAC. T-Mobile will provide MAC OS instructions to you, just call 1.800.937.8997 or 611 from a T-Mob phone & ask for Tier III Tech Support.
    note: don't call from the phone you are setting up as a modem.

Why pay for internet service for your Blackberry & for your home PC? Your Blackberry's gotcha covered, it can do both. All you have to to do is set up yoru computer to recognize your Blackberry as a modem. And, of course, you also have to have an appropriate internet feature on your Blackberry from your carrier. These instructions were created for PC's running XP, but I know for a fact that this will also get the job done with Visa, Vista Premium, & Win 2000. The steps taken to get to the appropriate windows may differ a bit, but the actual set up is the same in all. Here ya go, hope this helps.!!

Verify that you have the Desktop Manager version 4.2 and the software bundle that came with the handheld installed on your computer.

Query the modem, using the modems properties:

1 Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
    2 Double-click on Phone and modem options.
    3 Click on the Modems tab.
    4 Left-click on the modem installed above. (Standard Modem or Standard Modem over Bluetooth)
    5 Click Properties.
    6 Click the Diagnostics tab.
    7 Click Query Modem.
    8 If dialog shows in the empty box, the modem is responding, then continue with the below steps. Otherwise contact WDS Tier III.
    9 Click the Advanced tab.
    10 Check the Extra Initialization Command feild and ensure it is correct.

Enter the initialization command:

1 From your computer, click Start.
    2 Click Control Panel.
    3 Click Phone and Modem Options.
    4 Click the Modems tab.
    5 Scroll to Standard Modem.
    6 Click Properties.
    7 Click the Advanced tab.
    8 In the Extra Initialization Command field, enter the following:

IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
    Add only ONE of the following Extra initialization commands with the appropriate carrier specific command:

TMOBILE USA
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

Rogers Users
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.com"

Cingular Blue/AT&T
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","proxy"

Cingular Orange
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR"

UK Vodafone
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"

Verizon - Keep blank
    Nextel/Telus iDEN (untested) - Keep blank
    Sprint/Bell Mobility CDMA (untested) - Keep blank

Create dial-up networking :

1 From your computer, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, then Network Connections.
    2 Click Create a new connection, then Next.
    3 Select Connect to Internet.
    4 Select Set up my connection manually.
    5 Select Connect using a dial-up modem.
    6 Select the Standard Modem, then Next.
    7 Enter T-Mobile as the ISP Name.
    8 Enter *99# as the Phone number.
    9 Click Next.
    10 Leave the User name and Password feilds blank.
    11 Deselect all the optional check boxes in the bottom portion of this window.
    12 To create the connection, click Finish.
    13 In the Connect window, click Properties.
    14 In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
    15 In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK. In the Properties window, click OK.
    16 In the Connect window, select Save this user name and password for the following users.
    17 Select the appropriate option.
    18 Confirm that the BlackBerry Desktop Manager is running.
    *IMPORTANT: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running, or error 692 will appear during the dial up attempt. (i have 1 connection set for the standard modem, usb cable, & 1 connection set for the standard modem over bluetooth and have no problems getting a connection without connecting to desktop manager)
    19 Open the web browser and navigate to any website to test the connection.

If the laptop/PC connects but Internet Explorer does not, follow these steps:

1 From Internet Explorer, click Tools, then Internet Options....
    2 Click the Connections tab.
    3 From Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings, select T-Mobile.
    4 Click Set Default.
    5 Select Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
    6 Click OK.
    7 Click OK again.

That should do it!!
    got as far as verifying username and password, but the errored out with 691
    09-25-08 07:39 PM
    You guys on Sprint who aren't seeing any overages on your bill, are you paying any kind of PAM plan? I have the 8330 an have used Smart View with no probs to run the BB. I have a family share talk/message/data plan and just found out that PAM isn't included...after racking up over 50MB of usage today. I haven't seen any of this added to my account data usage yet and and a little concerned...am I all good or might I see massive hidden overages next bill? Just want a little peace of mind. Thanks for the input.
    09-28-08 12:26 AM
    You guys on Sprint who aren't seeing any overages on your bill, are you paying any kind of PAM plan? I have the 8330 an have used Smart View with no probs to run the BB. I have a family share talk/message/data plan and just found out that PAM isn't included...after racking up over 50MB of usage today. I haven't seen any of this added to my account data usage yet and and a little concerned...am I all good or might I see massive hidden overages next bill? Just want a little peace of mind. Thanks for the input.
    I have been tethering for months now and have not had any data charges at all. I also do not have a PAM plan.
    09-28-08 02:37 PM
    I guess I should really read the thread but I have a curve and sprint everything plan, but...I have a macbook pro so is there a smartview app for mac that can do the same thing for sprint?
    09-29-08 11:52 AM
    I used to be able to used my 8703e with Linux to connect it as PAM
    but not with 8330, xmblackberry always said that there is no GPRS modem.
    Anybody know solution to connect 8330 to a linux box? I've tried the latest version of xmblackberry with no luck..
    09-29-08 02:17 PM
    I must be doing something wrong or have a setting wrong somewhere because I can't get the Sprint software to recognize my phone. Here is my pertinent information:

8330 Curve
    OS v4.3.0.127
    Desktop Manager v4.6
    Sprint SmartView v1.18.3.0

The Desktop manager sees the phone and syncs just fine. The SmartView program sees my wireless gateway and will actually connect to it, so it seems to be working fine. Whenever I go to the Mobile tab, it just says "No Wireless Device Detected". I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling SmartView, but no luck. I am out of ideas, any help would be appreciated.
    10-02-08 10:07 PM
    I must be doing something wrong or have a setting wrong somewhere because I can't get the Sprint software to recognize my phone. Here is my pertinent information:

8330 Curve
    OS v4.3.0.127
    Desktop Manager v4.6
    Sprint SmartView v1.18.3.0

The Desktop manager sees the phone and syncs just fine. The SmartView program sees my wireless gateway and will actually connect to it, so it seems to be working fine. Whenever I go to the Mobile tab, it just says "No Wireless Device Detected". I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling SmartView, but no luck. I am out of ideas, any help would be appreciated.
    To tether in windows, you don't need any software beside desktop manager itself.
    Here's how:
    1. Launch BB Desktop Manager
    2. Go To Control Panel - Device Manager, search for RIM Virtual Serial Port (Mine is COM3 and COM4) .. The lowest number serial port is your bb modem device.
    3. Create a DUN connection and use (I'm using COM3) as modem
    4. Sprint Dial up number is #777, username and password blank
    10-02-08 11:32 PM
    I successfully tethered my 8130 to the network, but has verizon caught on already? The first page I tried to navigate to was the verizon broadband access page listing it's prices and saying if I wanted to use it I could call a number to activate it. Is there no way around that?

Thanks in advance.
    10-05-08 03:50 PM
    I have tried to connect using BB 8320 on Tmobile but continue to get "692" error. I have reinstalled the desktop and mobile software. I have checked and rechecked all of the settings. I have tried usb and bluetooth. No success!
    I am running XP SP3 on a Compaq 8440 mobile workstation and have had difficulties before due to compatibility with SP3. Any suggestions?
    10-10-08 11:17 AM
    This applies to Vista Home Premium SP1, which came with my new laptop. Follow the steps in the original post, BUT, under the section titled "Enter the initialization command: do the following after step 6:

6a Click Change Settings.
    6b. Click Continue when the User Account Control box comes up.

Continue to set 7.

If you go to step 7 without doing 6a, and 6b, you will not be able to access the box to enter the initialization command.
    10-10-08 10:23 PM
    I just posted on another thread ( http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/bol...02/#post828421 ) mentioning that I dead-ended following the instructions on post#1 from this thread. I'll keep trying though.

Here's my current status:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...y-modem-19093/

This was created prior to the Bold, but it should be exactly the same process.

I love my 6 Gb plan. Even if I only use 50 - 100 Mb, the risk of going over the limit and having to pay $10 Mb is history. Thank you Mr Rogers and Mr Jobs.
    The link that Reed posted just about cover it.

It's not complicated or over technical, you don't need a wizard to hold your hand. It litarally takes two minutes to setup.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I tried, followed every step including having DM running. Dead in the water.

I guess I may have to call Rogers re getting their connection manager to work for me When I tried it last week, there wasn't a selection for Bold so I selected Curve 8320, hoping that would be close enough. In a nutshell didn't work for me.

Easier way for Rogers users...

Rogers.com - Connection Manager

Here's a screenshot of my failure:

I even went down my own path where I discovered I could go to add modem and had a choice of installing a "Smartphone Wireless USB Modem" though I eventually dead-ended on that as well.
    Last edited by PvT; 10-13-08 at 06:03 PM.
    10-13-08 05:48 PM
    This one works great!

To tether in windows, you don't need any software beside desktop manager itself.
    Here's how:
    1. Launch BB Desktop Manager
    2. Go To Control Panel - Device Manager, search for RIM Virtual Serial Port (Mine is COM3 and COM4) .. The lowest number serial port is your bb modem device.
    3. Create a DUN connection and use (I'm using COM3) as modem
    4. Sprint Dial up number is #777, username and password blank
    10-14-08 10:24 AM
    If anyone is having a hard time getting the phone to work as a modem, with OS 4.5.0.81. You might try and open the DM and minimize it. I turned all of the PPP settings off. The PAM will work with the newer version of 4.5 on my T-Mobile account. The settings at the top of this thread are almost exactly the way I set my phone up. And it does seem to be running faster than when I was using it on OS 4.2.184.

Maybe this will help someone.
    10-14-08 06:32 PM
591 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD