I am trying to connect with my 8330 (Sprint)

The error message I am getting is:

OPENING PORT

"Error 633: The modem is already in use or is not configured properly)"

Any ideas, suggestions, or insight?

Thanks in advance.
    08-14-08 04:40 AM
    I have mine working and i am actually using it now lol. a lot cheaper then payin extra for a service i can get with me BB. only issue i have is that when i am done using it for me computer as a modem it won't let me on the internet on my phone. i end up just turning it off and taking the battery out for a few seconds then turning it back on. and it works then. any ideas how to stop me from having to remove the battery every time?
    08-15-08 09:54 AM
    my friend told me there was a way to do this, but he didn't know, I should have looked at this waayyy earlier when I became a blackberry junkie! Thank you so much for posting this! no more connecting to that crappy linksys satellite.
    I also wanted to ask to make sure that there is no way I can get charged extra if I already have the 1000 minutes plus unlimited internet and e-mail plan? it can't use up my minutes can it--dumb question??
    Last edited by jcorv58; 08-17-08 at 03:43 PM. Reason: forgot something
    08-17-08 03:40 PM
    Can you connect a wireless modem...or does that not work? I am having problems with cable so I connected the pc to the bb but my UMA does not work.
    08-18-08 01:44 PM
    I get 1mb download and around 350kb up load. i thingh thats is pretty fast for a cell phone.
    08-19-08 09:09 PM
    Thanks, the DSL went out, and this guide allowed me to get my desktop back onto the interweb.

I just followed the manual instructions and got my Sprint 8130 and PC up and running lickity split, no need for nosy Sprint software
    Last edited by pauldriver; 08-22-08 at 02:44 AM.
    08-22-08 02:40 AM
    Hello Guys,

I'm on Tel**** (telcel) in mexico, and of course theirs will charge, for everything you using outside your phone, the main goal of telcel is not inform you about nothing, and when you find out their charge for extra stuff.

so if you want it try, is at your own risk, i think the best option is mobishark, because a proxy inside your bb phone.
    08-22-08 02:35 PM
    I am getting a labtop tomorrow and I wanted to kno if I used my blackberry as a modem, is it as fast as dsl, or should I just get a broadband card?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-08 07:24 PM
    Sorely disappointed that it would cost me an additional $30 so a total of $60 to get my BB to tethered to my laptop...ewww..Thinking since I pay enough for unlimited that it would be free or at least cheaper....wrong. Would have been great for this week.
    08-24-08 01:25 PM
    If you are on AT&T (as I am), go here:

Using BlackBerry As Modem - BlackBerryFAQ

There is mention of a couple other steps needed that are not mentioned in this thread. After reading this thread, I got a 734 error, however, taking the necessary steps in the posted link... let's just say I am posting this via my tethered connection...
    08-24-08 02:08 PM
    If you are on AT&T (as I am), go here:

Using BlackBerry As Modem - BlackBerryFAQ

There is mention of a couple other steps needed that are not mentioned in this thread. After reading this thread, I got a 734 error, however, taking the necessary steps in the posted link... let's just say I am posting this via my tethered connection...
    Checking out now, if I can get this done without having to come out of pocket I love it...thanks. Will look at both info
    08-24-08 02:21 PM
    The Sprint software even lets you tether with a 7130e since I couldn't get the manual setup to work. Good stuff! Thanks for the info!

Chad
    08-24-08 03:02 PM
    The main goal of Telcel is not inform you about nothing, and when you find out their charge for extra stuff.
    Are they a Verizion subsidiary?
    08-24-08 08:16 PM
    Wow I just tried it with the Sprint software on my curve and it worked flawlessly! Not as fast as my broadband service of course, but very, very nice!

Just worried about getting an overage charge for tethering now!
    08-26-08 05:42 PM
    Has anyone else downloaded the app Vlingo and have trouble with their internet connection after downloading it? I started using my phone as a modem almost a week ago and my connection worked fine-pretty fast and stayed connected, then a few days later I dl'd vlingo and now I have trouble with facebook, and it is a really slow connection and at times I have to restart my comp and do a battery pull on my phone in order to reconnect to the internet. Can anyone explain this to me please? I had to change some options (connection type, port, etc.) on my phone for vlingo but I changed them back and vlingo still works fine, but my internet is still acting up, thx in advance
    08-26-08 11:38 PM
    Amazing! Downloaded the Sprint app for my 8130. The speed was actually quite fast for me, only experienced a bit of a slowdown on Youtube and other bandwidth intensive sites.

Thanks for the tip!!
    08-27-08 10:11 AM
    Wow I just tried it with the Sprint software on my curve and it worked flawlessly! Not as fast as my broadband service of course, but very, very nice!

Just worried about getting an overage charge for tethering now!
    Update: There were absolutely NO extra charges on my latest bill.
    09-04-08 11:09 AM
    This is awesome. I actually can connect to Beatlesarama.com and stream my favorite internet station. The station (and many more are blocked at work).
    09-04-08 01:54 PM
    Well, on Verizon's webite it advertises Broadband Access

BroadbandAccess/NationalAccess
    Now you can get the broadband speed you require to work efficiently outside the office. Using one of our wireless devices or BroadbandAccess Connect capable wireless devices with your laptop, you can connect to the Internet, corporate intranet, check your email and download attachments with average download speeds of 600 Kbps - 1.4 Mbps1.

BroadbandAccess will give you the freedom to stay productive and connected whether you're on the road or in a meeting across town. You will also receive NationalAccess service when outside the BroadbandAccess Rate and Coverage Area 2,3. NationalAccess is available in thousands of cities and towns and allows download speeds of 60-80 Kbps and burst up to 144 Kbps.4

Rev. 0 capable devices

Download: typical download speeds of 400-700 Kbps with a maximum download speeds burst to 2 Mbps1.
    Upload: typical upload speeds of 60-80 Kbps with peak speeds bursts to 144 Kbps.

Rev. A capable devices

Download: typical download speeds of 600 Kbps - 1.4 Mbps.
    Upload: typical upload speeds of 500-800 Kbps.

Subject to Customer Agreement, Calling Plan, credit approval & [other service] terms.

1BroadbandAccess is available in 258 major metropolitan areas covering over 256 million people, and is expanding coast to coast. BroadbandAccess is also available in 241 primary airports in the U.S. BroadbandAccess speed claims based on our network tests with 5 MB FTP data files without compression. Actual speed and coverage may vary. If usage exceeds 5 GB/line/month, we reserve the right to reduce throughput speeds to a maximum of approximately 200 Kbps.

2BroadbandAccess Connect service is available for BlackBerry/PDA's in our National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area and Extended National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area. Microsoft Windows required.

3BroadbandAccess Connect service on capable handsets is only available in our National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area and not in the Extended National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area. Microsoft Windows and Mobile Office Kit required and sold separately. BroadbandAccess Connect devices are not currently EV-DO Rev. A capable, so you can expect download speeds of 400-700 Kbps and upload speeds of 60-80 Kbps. Actual speed and coverage may vary. If usage exceeds 5 GB/line/month, we reserve the right to reduce throughput speeds to a maximum of approximately 200 Kbps.

4Speed claim based on our network test with 101 KB FTP data files, without compression. Actual throughout speed and coverage may vary. Speed claim not applicable when roaming.
    Sounds like it's just part of the blackberry plan. And if you go over 5GB it'll charge you extra.
    09-05-08 10:59 AM
    Verizon has a broadband card modem. I have seen free give away offers for if you sign up for their service. I don't think the information refers to using your BB (curve in this case) as a modem.
    09-05-08 03:07 PM
    Update: There were absolutely NO extra charges on my latest bill.
    are you paying the $15 extra per month to do this? if not...do you mind helping me out and posting a link to which software you are using? thank you so much
    09-05-08 05:42 PM
    I am able to connect but when I open Internet Explorer I get the following error.

HTTP ERROR: $CODE$
    $MESSAGE$
    RequestURI=/

I am on t-mobile using a pearl 8100
    09-05-08 05:46 PM
    07.30.08***EVEN BETTER NEWS FOR BB USERS***
    If you are on the Sprint network all you need to do is download Sprint SmartView[/COLOR]
    and let it do the work for you. AFter you have installed the software (which says it's 37mb but after it was all said and done my PC says 57mb) all you gotta do is plug ur Blackberry in to the USB cable and the Sprint View Software will handle the rest. Lemme know if you have any Q's!!
    Has anyone successfully tried this without paying the $15 extra per month? Thank you
    09-05-08 05:51 PM
    everything was going fine until i got to the part where i'm supposed to add the etra commands...i'm unable to input anything there????
    09-05-08 06:31 PM
    Any way to use bluetooth instead of the USB cable while using Sprint's SmartView?
    09-09-08 01:52 PM
591 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD