I get to the extra settings tab and cannot enter anything into the field- what do I need to do?
    08-12-09 03:22 PM
    I had this setup once but had to restore my system so now i can not remember how to set it up.
    I use T-mobile and want to be able to tether again.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    08-14-09 08:46 PM
    I get an error code 628 & This is what i get when i "query modem"

ATQ0V1E0 - OK
    AT+GMM - 9530
    AT+FCLASS=? - +FCLASS: (0-1)
    AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    AT+GCI? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    AT+GCI=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    ATI1 - Manufacturer: Research In Motion
    Model: 9530
    Revision: OS Ver: 4.0.0.181 [May 13 2009 22:53:31]
    IMEI: 359483029860462
    +GCAP: +CGSM,+FCLASS,+DS
    ATI2 - Manufacturer: Research In Motion
    ATI3 - Manufacturer: Research In Motion
    ATI4 - Manufacturer: Research In Motion
    ATI5 - Manufacturer: Research In Motion
    ATI6 - Manufacturer: Research In Motion
    ATI7 - Manufacturer: Research In Motion

any idea what i did wrong?
    08-15-09 04:37 PM
    also got an error code 633 ..ive been trying to get this "tethering" thing down for a few days with no luck PLEASE someone help me!! lol
    08-15-09 04:38 PM
    i tried many ways and still incure tethering charges
    08-15-09 08:25 PM
    [Sigh. . . .] I've followed these "tethering" instructions to the letter, well as much as i can with Vista instead of XP lol, and i still can't get this down. it's pretty downing. . . Any thoughts or pointers??
    08-18-09 10:24 AM
    with AT&T if you have the unlimited data plan but do not pay for the extra for the tethering. What will happen if you do? Do they charge you for it?
    08-18-09 12:37 PM
    So , first off lets address this:
    Just curious, what kind of speeds are you guys getting while doing this?
    On sprint , T-Mobile, AT&T and all other carriers but VZW you can expect 200 Kbit up to about roughly 1.2 Megabits Downstream and roughly 10 to 250 Kbits upstream.

On verizon it depnds on which region you are in. If you are in any of the major markets like Chicago, L.A., or NYC then I have experienced speeds approaching the high end of 3G roughly 3.5 to 4 Megabits. These speeds are fully syncronous on Verizon...... So, in some markets like Chicago your upstream is over 10X faster off the phone than your cable or DSL home connection.

Don't let carriers like sprint fool you by saying they have the faster network... or bogus crap like "they will have their 4G network up before any one else"... Verizon is way ahead of the curve and I have noticed that I am starting to see HSPDA in parts of Dallas and Chicago. Also according to solid internal sources at Verizon - they are internally beta testing all their new 4G towers slated to go live to the public in all markets in Q2 of 2010.

Next , on VZW one should be dialing #777 in order to access tethered functionality. YES THIS MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE! (assuming you are getting 1XEV signal ...) You will not usually see full EVDO bandwidth (3G) using any other access number.

Yes VZW charges for this and unlike other carriers , NO there is no way around it...... However, if you are on VZW is that the good news is that VZW only charges a max of $65 for data packages / blackberry services + tethering when bundled. So, if you already pay the 49.95 for unlimited data acces + BES access - then tethering is only $15 extra.

For something easily on par with most DSL connection this isn't such a bad deal. Especially considering you can't take your cable or DSL modem in a car and continue accessing the internet ......

Lastly , receiving and sending things from the phone has the following restrictions on VZW's current 3g network - other carriers vary depending on their network and BIS configuration.
    Making and receiving calls : As par normal while untethered. The "Modem on hold" feature is fully functional and is not restricted on the VZW network (unlike AT&T). Meaning you will remain connected for calls up to 15 minutes in length but, you can not send or receive modem data while talking. Eventually this will not be an issue on VZW's network once they fully move to HSPDA therefore allowing simultaneous data streams as per the increased bandwidth availability provided ..... No , other carrier has plans to allow multiple data streams to the phone any time soon.....

SMS / MMS / E-Mail: VZW does not send or receive these while the modem connection is established. Once again this is a nework data stream / bandwidth issue that VZW will solve here shortly... Sprint and T-Mobile allow SMS / MMS/ Email to be sent and received while in range of 3G signal.

Aside from that there isn't much I have to add or say except be careful when trying this on AT&T's network as they have fined several friends I know doing this with their Bold's the same $250 they charge Iturd... sorry i mean IPhone users who attempt to tether thier phones (the later has no paid option because well ATT just sucks that way thank's to apple's "network security policies"....). If one wonders how they would know... just go read up on network IDS and user accounting systems used by big IT and TELCO companies.....

Voicemail: no notifications are received unless you are using Visual Voicemail on a 9530. Messages can not be downloaded while tethered by USB on a 9530 when in MPT or mass storage mode.

That said there are many interesting things I have noticed about placing the blackberry into tethered modeut I will leave you all with one tidbit.....

This is an ultra psychotic bug that seldom occurs in having maintained a modem connection through the reloading of the OS up until the JVM shuts down on reboot after the wipe is initiated and completed.... Gotta love live JVMs running in resident memory rofl....... oddly enough 2 out of 6 OS reloads work successfully ......You must be running loader manually or via shrink-a-os to experience it and as I said before it has a 35% chance of producing the 507 reload OS FUBAR error .....

That said tethering these things is imho a vital part of their functionality but perhaps that's just me ......
    Last edited by [email protected]; 08-20-09 at 10:39 AM.
    08-20-09 10:36 AM
    This is my first post here on Crackberry and its to say thank you. I used this forum discussion to set up my Blackberry Curve 8330 as a modem on my laptop. It was easy. Just had to install the Blackberry software on my laptop and then used the link in the first post to take me to the site to download the Sprint Smartview program. Everything worked well and the connection speed didnt seem noticeable slower than my current Road Runner connection.

I do have one question though. I am not going to incur any additional charges for using my Blackberry as a modem am I? I have the Blackberry personal pack on my Sprint plan and it does include unlimited data.
    08-23-09 10:16 AM
    I called Sprint about this matter, and to ask about online access for a laptop. Their response, the card is $60. Ok. I then asked if that was a one time charge, or is that per month? The response, that is per MONTH. I have the family plan for 2 phones, with unlimited data and 1500 minutes talk between the 2 phones. Cost $129 per mo. (This is just for me, I x-fer one line to the other, Sprint doesn't offer a 2 line phone)
    So I said can't you help me out here, this will make it almost $200 per mo. for just me! The tech said, sorry there is nothing he could do. Oddly enough, I never got the automated survey call to rate the tech's job on last contact. Next contract, syanara y,all! It seems now to me that there are carriers out there that provide this. Sprint has been good, until now. rippedvanwinkle

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-09 05:39 PM
    I'm on TMO, been tethering the past couple days. The issue I'm having is, I'll have a file downloading to my comp that's going to take a while, so I've just been going to bed, expecting the file to be there when I wake up. For some reason, both times I've tried this, my phone disconnects. I have full bars where I am, so signal isn't an issue. Anyone have similar issues?
    08-25-09 09:34 AM
    Just a follow up on my 'rant' above, I called Sprint again on the chance that the guy I spoke with was in a crappy mood that day. This time I got a tech that was the polar opposit of the last one. She checked my usage the last 5 mos. and reduced cost on both lines, then added a $30 mo data plan, and $15 mo phone as modem. I went from $129 mo (family plan) to $114 mo. Still have 2 lines, data, and now have the laptop, for about $15 less per mo. Halle-freakin-luyah!!
    rippedvanwinkle

08-26-09 06:29 AM
    I'm on TMO, been tethering the past couple days. The issue I'm having is, I'll have a file downloading to my comp that's going to take a while, so I've just been going to bed, expecting the file to be there when I wake up. For some reason, both times I've tried this, my phone disconnects. I have full bars where I am, so signal isn't an issue. Anyone have similar issues?
    I don't tether at all for the matter but when I do I don't download large files since it isn't fast for me. I'm a very impatient human being. LOL I think your phone might be dropping the signal. Once in a while, something will cause it to do that for some strange reason. So my guess is your signal.
    08-26-09 08:18 AM
    i have the unlimited data plan with verizon will i get charged extra
    08-26-09 06:30 PM
    i have the unlimited data plan with verizon will i get charged extra
    silly rabbit...don't you know verizon charges more for everything? ROFL
    08-26-09 06:37 PM
    I also posted on a different thread listed below wasn't for sure which one to post on.

forums.crackberry.com/f135/howto-get-all-features-browser-mms-working-t-mobile-w-unlocked-storm-95xx-106023

Has anyone figured out why some Storm users can tether their BB direct as a modem and some can't. I get an error 678. I followed the steps that are found throughout crackberry and blackberry. My modem does reply when queried. I'm wondering if there are different settings within the engineering screen. If there is anyone with a storm that isn't on Verizon wireless that can successfully tether without third party apps could you let us know what you did to get it to connect. Or would someone work with me on comparing what is within the engineering screen so everyone else that is having this problem can connect. I'm running os 4.7.0.151 from lyricidal build Beta6v2. For additional info I can get tetherberry to work but online when in lowercase edge. When it switches to uppercase EDGE I get a lot of java exceptions and can no longer browse from the PC. PDAnet will connect but I can't browse the internet on the PC.
    Hi,
    how did you fix your storm to tether on tmobile, i couldnt do it for mine. i am also with tmobile with storm.
    thanks
    08-26-09 06:40 PM
    Ripped
    I spoke to a account services supervisor yesterday about phone as a modem. She told me I couldn't do it with a shared plan. I have 5 lines sharing 3000 min and unlimited data. Should I call tech services? I would really like to do this.
    Thanks for any help
    08-27-09 09:56 AM
    i had this all set up but when i upgraded my os on the phone it wont let me use the phone as a modem....any ideas as to what i should do?
    08-29-09 03:19 AM
    I had a sony ericsson k800i - all I had to do was plug it in via usb to my macbook, and I'm hooked up to the net. Never assumed doing the same with a blackberry would be so ridiculously difficult!

09-01-09 10:24 AM
    As a Uk user who is on an unlimited data plan, I found a post on here with all the modem settings for your pc crackberry internet-tethering-your-bb I personally use my BB every lunch time and have not experienced any troubles with the connection.

Simply just create a dial up network connection and enter the details for your carrier as specified in the link and it should work.

As an aside I read in a pc mag that currently if you do it this way, there is no way for your carrier to tell that you are using the BB as a modem, the pc is purely there as display and keyboard.
    09-01-09 04:37 PM
    Does this actually work? anyone tried ?
    09-01-09 04:42 PM
    I'm on O2 and have the BlackBerry Unlimited bolt on, would I get charged if I tethered my phone?
    09-05-09 01:01 PM
    I've seen somewhere about contacting your carrier about using your berry as a modem...I'm with virgin mobile Canada and I didn't even finish what I was inquiring about and just got "that's illegal!" end of call......any suggestions? I have an unlimited data plan...could they find out if I did try?

09-05-09 09:49 PM
    Ive seen somewhere about contacting your carrier about using your berry as a modem...I'm with virgin mobile Canada and I didn't even finish what I was inquiring about and just got "that's illegal!" end of call......any suggestions? I have an unlimited data plan...could they find out if I did try?

09-05-09 09:50 PM
    Sorry bout the double post...my bad

09-05-09 09:51 PM
591 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD