Hello Fellow Crack(berry) Addicts!

I felt the desire to lend my voice and say that these instructions truly work like a charm! I am a T-Mobile subscriber who owns a Curve 8320 and there have been instances when being able to use my Curve as a modem has saved me from a lot of pain. Just one example is the posting of college assignments when I am away from a WiFi zone.

I have been through this setup on a few different laptop models. When far from home, I've had to use a WiFi signal to download the desktop and handheld software to a new laptop. My next step was to hit CrackBerry Forums
    to find this specific article. I follow the directions listed, turn off the WiFi and watch my modem phone work.

This truly has made many things more convenient for me and I can attest to the fact that T-Mobile does not charge extra for this feature.

So thank you, thank you, thank you and keep the great how-tos comin!

Victoria
    "SolanoGypsy"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE]

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 10:30 AM
    Tetherberry.com works on vzw

how much are you charged by vzw?
    07-14-09 04:00 PM
    wow this seems like a lot of work
    07-14-09 04:45 PM
    Bell Mobility will charge you for this...

And they will charge BIG BUCKS for it!

They actually probably top them all with a $8/MB, yes, $8096/GB if they count right or "only" $8000/GB if they calculate 1000MB/GB for using your cell phone as a modem.

They don't have an option for your phone plan to add such a thing. They want you to buy another so called turbo usb key and add a separate data plan on top of your unlimited phone data plan and forces you to use the usb key as a cellular modem.

I had this set up and got a charge of more than $350 for ~40MB transfered. Fortunately, since it was a new phone and a new configuration and that I had never done it before, they dropped the charges but I got told that if I ever use it again it would be $8/MB.

I have asked when and if they would join the rank of the companies that include this type of connection with their phone data plan and they answered it was a decision between the company and its business partners to do this and that it was a company private matter that would not be discussed.

They ended the email saying they were happy and proud to have me as customer! I felt they were laughing at me!

BEWARE of BELL MOBILITY!
    07-15-09 02:08 PM
    This is great information. The only internet access I've had for 2 years has bn via my beloved BB. I will be getting a PC in the next few months & paying for both is just ludicrous.
    07-15-09 09:56 PM
    any vodafone uk users, plz let me know if they charge for this.
    07-18-09 02:49 PM

If the laptop/PC connects but Internet Explorer does not, follow these steps:

1 From Internet Explorer, click Tools, then Internet Options....
    2 Click the Connections tab.
    3 From Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings, select T-Mobile.
    4 Click Set Default.
    5 Select Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
    6 Click OK.
    7 Click OK again.

That should do it!!
    This is not working for me!!! laptop says its connected, but firefox and IE cant access internet at all. Works fine using a Nokia, doesn't with Bold????
    07-21-09 07:43 AM
    I've upgraded to newest os for 8100. I could get on net fine, but now I can't. I'm on Tmobile. I haven't Changed any settings, just os version.

07-21-09 09:32 PM
    KCLadyGemini's directions (first page) worked great for me. I set up my 8320 to my Dell computer (running Windows Vista) without a glitch. I kept Desktop Manager running the whole time I was connected.

Speeds aren't too bad. I have great T-Mobile cell reception at my house and I don't do much video or other media on my computer, so this is a great way to get rid of my cable modem bill! I have T-Mobile's Unlimited Data plan and it IS FREE for tethering.
    07-22-09 10:05 AM
    Thank you so much for making this thread. My wife & I are going on vacation but we're both full-time online school goers and if we don't have internet access we'll get behind in school.

Hotel's have wi-fi but I don't like to be at their mercy AND this way we can spend a couple of hours on the road doing our homework (or however long we have connection/battery juice)

I'm also happy to see that we'll not be charged extra for the 'T' mobile another worry I had.
    07-22-09 12:28 PM
    Hi everyone... I just got mine to work and I'm so happy, I then went to set up my wife's and here's doesn't work, I get this 734 PPP error. The only thing that's different with my wife's computer is I noticed the RIM folder is in the common files on the 64bit side of the computer. My laptop is 32 and her's is 64bit. Does this change anything?

She has a BB Curve 8320 T-Mobile and Vista 64 bit laptop.

Thanks!
    07-22-09 02:17 PM
    Okay got it to work, was using the wrong APN for some reason. Now the only thing that keeps happening is now that I'm on my home network (WiFi) the dial-up window keeps popping up periodically even though I'm connected through my wireless connection. Anybody know how to get that to stop and only show up if I have my BB connected or when I call it on my own?
    07-22-09 02:30 PM
    I keep answering my own posts haha! Here's for anybody else who may come up with this problem. Quite elementary I guess, but now I know!

Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > check Never dial a connection. Make sure you select OK to save and exit. Unless you have an application that changes the option, this should put your dial-up access on a demand only basis.
    07-22-09 02:40 PM
    help I have tried everything with the new Tour I'm about ready to chunk it against a brick wall cause I cannot connect, everyone else can just fine except for this piece of crap over here. My curve, pearl, and 8830 all work just fine, but this tour is about to become a .45 target. Please I beg of you help!!!!! Either PM me or pin me @ 30BBD51D
    07-22-09 02:49 PM
    I also posted on a different thread listed below wasn't for sure which one to post on.

forums.crackberry.com/f135/howto-get-all-features-browser-mms-working-t-mobile-w-unlocked-storm-95xx-106023

Has anyone figured out why some Storm users can tether their BB direct as a modem and some can't. I get an error 678. I followed the steps that are found throughout crackberry and blackberry. My modem does reply when queried. I'm wondering if there are different settings within the engineering screen. If there is anyone with a storm that isn't on Verizon wireless that can successfully tether without third party apps could you let us know what you did to get it to connect. Or would someone work with me on comparing what is within the engineering screen so everyone else that is having this problem can connect. I'm running os 4.7.0.151 from lyricidal build Beta6v2. For additional info I can get tetherberry to work but online when in lowercase edge. When it switches to uppercase EDGE I get a lot of java exceptions and can no longer browse from the PC. PDAnet will connect but I can't browse the internet on the PC.
    07-23-09 03:11 PM
    Do you have to have like calls on your plan like do you have to have voice. I have t-mobile I set it up but it woult connect so im guessing i have to have voice to use it. If i do is there a way to use it as a modem without having voice? thanks please help
    07-24-09 11:16 PM
    ok well it connected once but the internet didn't work so im guessing you don't need to have voice enabled in your plan. But now its stuck on verifying user name and password and is stuck there and like on the blackberry there are no arrows like there are usually so can any one help please thanks
    07-25-09 12:13 AM
    Awesome thread kcladygemini. Thanks!! I just had to do a few things different but basically followed most of your tutorial and am connected.
    Not sure if this has been posted, but with almost 30 pages in this thread, my eyes grew tired, lol. I basically followed the instructions, but it stuck at "Verifying User Name & PW". I called the rep at T-Mobiles BlackBerry customer service and she walked me through it. She had me go on my BB to Menu-->Settings-->Options-->Advanced Options-->TCP, and therein is where lay the problem. It was different than on your Extra initialization commands in IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP. My APN was epc.tmobile.com.
    I had to use at+cgdcont=1,"IP","epc.tmobile.com" instead of +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com". (the rep had me add the "at" as well). Other than that it was basically word for word.
    Great work kcladygemini. Thanks again!!
    Long live CrackBerry!

edit: Also, not sure if this is important probably is. I have the unlimited BlackBerry BIS data plan.
    Last edited by skyline247; 07-25-09 at 10:45 PM.
    07-25-09 10:40 PM
    Hi! I have a blackberry Curve 8320 and my carrier is T-Mobile!
    I had two success attempts that reached the connection, but its suddendly drops it! While I'm trying to Query the modem, appears a an error that's says "THE MODEM FAILED TO RESPOND. MAKE SURE IT IS PROPERLY CONNECTED AND TURN ON. IF ITS AN INTERNAL MODEM OR IS CONNECTED, VERIFY THAT THE INTERRUMPT FOR THE PORT IS PROPERLY SET."

What should I do????
    07-26-09 01:05 AM
    Guys,

Is there a way to increase the modem speed, higher then 115200? Does BlackBerry has their own version modem Driver?

Recently I took out my SIM card out of my storm and inserted in to my other cell (Sony Ericsson) When I use the cell as a modem from my ThinkPad, the network properties shows HSPDA 3.5M, browsing speed was 10x faster then using the storm as a modem!

When I checked the modem properties in windows control panel, the max speed in the drop down bar was 3500000, unlike BB's standard modem which only has 115Kpbs.

Pls do let me know if there is a BB driver which need to be install to use it as a modem

Thanks
    07-26-09 10:00 AM
    Why bother it's still slow anyway ):
    07-26-09 11:59 AM
    How does the tethering work with the service crackberry sell for $49. I have att and vista. My 9000 does not work with it.
    07-26-09 05:27 PM
    Nice tip!! Thanks!
    07-26-09 08:27 PM
    Thanks for excellent tips and I would surly use it now.
    07-27-09 09:07 AM
    this came in handy sometimes...I should have stayed with tmobile..VZW charges for everything!
    07-27-09 11:15 AM
591 ... 1516171819 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD