How do you do this with a Mac?
    03-12-08 02:57 PM
    I'm afraid a I could not even get as far as connecting to GPRS with my BB, no less connecting with my PC (Windows XP). I have a blackberry 7230 and the T-Mobile total internet plan. I upgraded the phone OS to the latest offered by tmobile. When turning on the phone I am able to connect to the GSM voice network but I get a banner that says "data connection refused". Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
    03-13-08 03:00 AM
    Just a heads up. Spoke with a friend who works for at&t. They charge $15 a month!!!

Pretty stout. And that is with the unlimited data plan. So what's that 45 bucks? Just not worth it to me.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

-D
    03-13-08 11:35 AM
    it does cost with sprint also and with everyone. if you do this and they catch you you are liable for any charges that incurr on your account just so you all know. you actually have to have the phone as modem plan with sprint before it will even work as they use a username.

and i'd be glad to tell you how to make it work on your mac. you give me your mac, i give you my pc tablet and presto - it works there for you and i get a mac i've wanted for a while lol
    03-17-08 10:36 AM
    I think you will find that Sprint charges an additional $15 per month for the PAM (Phone As Modem) plan, over and above the unlimited Blackberry Data plan. Otherwise they will charge by the kB.
    03-18-08 11:53 AM
    I have gone through all the instructions and I swear I was hooked up once. But now I get nothing. An error 721 message once.
    I don't know what else to do.
    My desktop manager says that I am connected, but "not logged in." And I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to log in! Is that my issue?
    Do I have to be using IE?
    I have t-mobile.
    Thanks!
    The ERROR 721 message I do get on occasion & pulling the battery has fixed the issue for me. As far as the "not logged in" ....!?!?!?!?!?! Never seen it before. But, your still covered since you have T-Mobile!! Just call them, when "Claire" asks what your calling for say "Blackberry" and she shld trnsf. you straight to Tech support. Tell them about the error.

Just curious, what kind of speeds are you guys getting while doing this?
    The connection should show you your connected at 115.2kbps, but how fast it's actually working depends on how strong your signal is. People say USB connection works faster than the Bluetooth connection......based on my experience, I beg to differ.

Hello,

We have 16 BB Curves within the company. Some are 8310's others are 8300's. Some are able to make and receive phone calls without losing tethering connection. Others are booted instantly if they answer the call and cannot reconnect without rebooting the phone (pulling the battery) and rebooting the laptop. Needless to say those few are frustrated with it. Could this possibly be the difference between the 8300 and 8310? Does anyone know? Any suggestions for a solution?
    I've been hoping for an answer to this question too!! My friend & I have the same issue, but in our case, we are both using the same model phone, 8100. hmmmmm !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

it does cost with sprint also and with everyone. if you do this and they catch you you are liable for any charges that incurr on your account just so you all know. you actually have to have the phone as modem plan with sprint before it will even work as they use a username.
    Not Everyone. Sorry, I mis-spoke before, I beleive I said Sprint didn't charge extra. Sorry about that, T-Mobile though, I know for a fact has no additional charge for this. And will even help with set up issues. T-Mobile is who emailed this list of instructions to me when I was having set up issues.
    03-19-08 10:56 PM
    How exactly is the phone communicating with the laptop? through bluetooth? I followed the instructions and get an error 68
    03-21-08 12:33 PM
    Some companies will nickel and dime you to death if you do not have a tethering plan for your account. I believe that is it wrong, since you are already paying $30 to $45 a month for data access. Of course, there are always other companies(like T-Mobile) that have seen the light and including tethering with mobile data plans.
    03-22-08 08:44 PM
    Uscellular username/password?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-08 09:42 PM
    This is a great setup kclady and it is very helpful for u to post these instuctions. Thank you. I wish I could use them but since I live in an apt. and am surrounded by towering building my signal is crap. Whenever I get home I have to switch to wi-fi so I can bite offa my routers signal. I have noticed one problem with this. Friends say that they send me pics but I dont get them when Im on wi-fi. I do get sms texts and voicecalls. Is this a known issue?
    03-29-08 11:18 AM
    No love for us vzw users. Vzw charges an extra 15 bucks to use the Berry as a modem. If it is useful vzw will charge you for it when others don't.

03-30-08 03:35 PM
    Sprint charges $19/month, I'm in trial with mobishark right now, I get sppeds about 250k, wonder if anyone can post what speeds they are getting?

[email protected]
    03-30-08 03:44 PM
    Funny, vzw charges extra for this and the BB could do it all along

Using this method. Is their extra charges that youve noticed on your verizon 8130?
    04-01-08 03:24 PM
    Thanks for this useful article!
    04-04-08 08:03 PM
    I am totally new to Blackberry, and I'm really loving it....but....

I've been reading this forum with interest. I'd like to use my Pearl 8130 as a modem. Earlier posts refer to an article on how to do this. I don't see any article here. Are there any step-by-step instructions. I use Verizon.

Thanks so much for any advice!
    04-05-08 07:55 AM
    While it is slow as molasses, this is a nice feature from TMO when you really just need to get online to do one thing.
    04-13-08 02:51 PM
    KCLady; I followed your instructions and it still doesn't work. I have a Blackberry 8310 curve, I'm with AT&T, full service, I tried both Extra Initialization Command fields (for Cingular Blue/ATT, and for Cingular Orange), and I get the same response when I go to connect. Error 628 "The connection terminated by the remote computer before it could be completed". Any advise on how to correct and make my connection.

Thanks, Carl
    04-14-08 04:30 PM
    You may have to change your data plan with your provider...I called Sprint and they bumped me up by $15, but it's fast enough so that I use it all the time now. I canned Comcast and am only using this. It's great and I'm saving $45/month now.
    04-14-08 10:52 PM
    I'm gonna try this, and I hope it works! I have at&t, so, geez! please work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    04-14-08 11:25 PM
    I have followed KcLady's instructions carefully and completely, and still can't get my BB to tether. I have a BB 8310 curve, brand new, a week old, and I'm on AT&T,(formerlly Cingular) don't know if it's blue or orange, but I tried both Extra Initialization commands, and I still can't get this to work. I get Error 628, "The connection terminated by the remote computer before it could be completed". So, if you can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. I travel a lot, and it would be nice to use this feature if possible.

Thanks, Carl
    04-15-08 04:16 PM
    I hope this isn't a thread derailer, but I hope someone help me. I have an Curve 8320 with T-Mobile, and have used it successfully as a tethered modem. A few days ago it stopped working.

I connect to it with my laptop, start the modem dialer, and then it hangs. My laptop gives me the message that the remote computer isn't responding. Any thoughts?
    04-30-08 08:42 PM
    Mine does that as well with Tmo from time to time. As soon as I do a battery-pull it fixes the problem

04-30-08 11:49 PM
    Hi, I thought I got on the first time today when I went through this process, but after a few seconds I realized it wasn't working. I then figured out I had spaced out the standard modem part and was using the regular modem for the laptop (hp dv9410). But the standard modem was bogus, nothing worked. I then uninstalled my 4.2 Desktop Software and downloaded and installed the latest from Tmobile, 4.3. It took forever to uninstall and re-install for some reason, but after it did the standard modem then acted like a real modem, and returned query strings as it was supposed to according to a thread on blackberry.com. After that, it worked the first time I tried after walking through this info, and hasn't dropped after three hours of using. YMMV...I had an EDGE connection and it went pretty well. So...installing the latest version worked for me.
    05-04-08 01:09 AM
    Can someone PLEASE tell me how to do this with US Cellular??? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks.
    Last edited by atlantis4569; 05-04-08 at 02:21 AM.
    05-04-08 02:14 AM
    What kinda speed will u be surfing the web at? Dial up?

05-04-08 02:41 AM
591 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD