I've seen quite a few people lately that have been having trouble updating their PRL with 5.0.0.230 (or any of the hybrids also)

Here's what you need to do.

1. Dial *2 and get customer service on the line.

2. Ask the Customer Service rep to update your PRL for you.

3. Wait about 5 mins and call *2 again.

4. It should tell you that sprint is updating your roaming list.

5. You should hear a couple beeps or it will tell you that it has completed the update.

6. Hang up, then dial #4357* and hit "Send"

7. A screen will pop up with a "Status" screen.

8. Scroll down till you see "PRL Version"

9. It should say 60657 for your PRL. That is the latest PRL for sprint right now.

10. Done haha.

IF THIS DOESN'T WORK, I RECOMMEND INSTALLING THE 5.0V7.11 HYBRID. My PRL would say 0 all the time when I had .230. After installing the hybrid overtop of it, my true PRL showed.

This process is the same for people NOT running 5.0 too. But you won't need to do this on 4.7 because you can manually do it from your phone without calling CS by going in your mobile network options > Berry button > update PRL.
    Last edited by eric02SpecV; 11-28-09 at 12:20 AM.
    11-27-09 05:32 PM
    No. When you install 5.0, you don't restore your Service Books. Then you save 10 minutes by using the "Update Preferred List" option in the "Mobile Network" section of the options menu.
    11-27-09 07:30 PM
    I've seen quite a few people lately that have been having trouble updating their PRL with 5.0.0.230 (or any of the hybrids also)

Here's what you need to do.

1. Dial *2 and get customer service on the line.

2. Ask the Customer Service rep to update your PRL for you.

3. Wait about 5 mins and call *2 again.

4. It should tell you that sprint is updating your roaming list.

5. You should hear a couple beeps or it will tell you that it has completed the update.

6. Hang up, then dial #4357* and hit "Send"

7. A screen will pop up with a "Status" screen.

8. Scroll down till you see "PRL Version"

9. It should say 60657 for your PRL. That is the latest PRL for sprint right now.

10. Done haha.

This process is the same for people NOT running 5.0 too. But you won't need to do this on 4.7 because you can manually do it from your phone without calling CS by going in your mobile network options > Berry button > update PRL.
    I called CS the other day for a PRL update, the guy had no idea what I was talking about. He said he would look it up and call me back, he called me back 30 minutes later and had figured it out. Anyhow, I called back *2 and got the update. I just did what you said above to check my PRL and it says 0. How can my PRL version be 0? Should I try to get another update?
    11-27-09 07:47 PM
    I've never restored my service books and I've always had the problem of not being able to update my PRL.

Either way, this "how to" is for anyone who's having trouble updating their PRL after going to 5.0.

Thanks for the heads up though! That may help people who are about to jump to 5.0
    11-27-09 07:47 PM
    Mine wont update and just sits on 0..But my phone works fine.
    11-28-09 12:14 AM
    Mine wont update and just sits on 0..But my phone works fine.

Install the hybrid. Mine used to stay at 0, and after installing the hybrid it shows my true PRL.
    11-28-09 12:17 AM
    I am running the hybrid
    11-28-09 12:18 AM
    Did you at anytime after installing .230 resend the service books?
    11-28-09 12:23 AM
    You have to used advanced backup and restore in DM to make sure you don't restore Service Books. Search this forum for some very detailed instructions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-09 07:19 AM
    I reinstalled without the service books. I can now update PRL's from the device. However, when you do a reboot the PRL reverts back to 0. Is there any way to make the PRL update stay?
    Last edited by ska11153; 11-28-09 at 07:23 PM.
    11-28-09 06:42 PM
    As of now no way to keep prl after reboot..

11-28-09 07:13 PM
    The only reason you need to update your PRL anyway is if towers are updated / subtracted.

According to the person I asked at Sprint, PRL's are automatically updated each billing cycle. I'm not convinced that the PRL reading 0 means squat...I certainly haven't seen any negative affects to my service.

Perhaps this is all concern over nothing?
    11-28-09 07:57 PM
    The only reason you need to update your PRL anyway is if towers are updated / subtracted.

According to the person I asked at Sprint, PRL's are automatically updated each billing cycle. I'm not convinced that the PRL reading 0 means squat...I certainly haven't seen any negative affects to my service.

I agree 100%...Leaked OS/Hybrids users not familiar with {trial and error} or {touch and go}...I wasnt at one of time...!!!

prl read "0" no worries..!!

When a PRL shows up as "0" that doesnt mean you have no PRL or bad PRL. Its just default to "0" it isnt bad at all. 5.0 OS's dont recognize current PRL after installation, so it defaults to show a "0". If the PRL is really "0" that means no web,emails,mms,sms,talks. If you cant update PRL, no worries you still have a new good one.
    Last edited by bluelaser; 11-28-09 at 08:49 PM.
    11-28-09 08:41 PM
    Ok, so reinstalled my OS without restoring service books so that I could to OTA PRL Updastes. This function is now working great. However, while reading an email today I clicked on "more" to get rest of the email and I got a message "More request cannot be completed. Service book information not found" So now what?
    11-29-09 07:07 AM
    Ok, so reinstalled my OS without restoring service books so that I could to OTA PRL Updastes. This function is now working great. However, while reading an email today I clicked on "more" to get rest of the email and I got a message "More request cannot be completed. Service book information not found" So now what?
    Resend the service books after logging in to sprint.blackberry.com (click "help" then resend service books option)

As you can see from the posts above, you cannot keep your PRL even if you don't restore your service books running 5.0 - the PRL will revert to 0 after a battery pull but it does not seem to affect your reception at all (meaning, don't worry about it being 0).
    11-29-09 10:01 AM
    No. When you install 5.0, you don't restore your Service Books. Then you save 10 minutes by using the "Update Preferred List" option in the "Mobile Network" section of the options menu.
    ^ 100% correct.

I reinstalled without the service books. I can now update PRL's from the device. However, when you do a reboot the PRL reverts back to 0. Is there any way to make the PRL update stay?
    Nope. Sprint's network isn't fully configured to handle every aspect of OS 5.0 yet. Therefore device resets to PRL default ("0") with every reboot.

It's a huge concern for those of us who use roaming. No PRL = roaming issues.

Resend your service books from device.

Go to: Email Settings/Log In/menu key/Service Books/Send Service Books.
    11-29-09 11:54 AM

Here's what you need to do... [snip]
    so, the final word on this () is.. do the advanced backup restore option. if you just do what you said(call CS), you will have to do the same thing every time you reboot your phone. so, if you dont want to wait to install an OS to fix it, do a full backup, then wipe the phone from options>security>security wipe. then, hook your "fresh from box" tour to your comp and hit backup/restore>advanced on DM. then click "file" above the box on the left and select the backup you just did. then click the essential stuff you want from the list that comes up(NOT SERVICE BOOKS!) and follow the prompts to backup the things you have selected.

[paraphrased from a post by 1 2 MaNy]
    Last edited by SofaKingKev; 11-29-09 at 02:54 PM.
    11-29-09 02:52 PM

Nope. Sprint's network isn't fully configured to handle every aspect of OS 5.0 yet. Therefore device resets to PRL default ("0") with every reboot.
    Not exactly. It may say "0" as the PRL when you check it by dialing #4357* SEND, but its a beta OS 5.0 bug, not your PRL version.

If you install Sprint SmartView, click "tools", then "mobile info" from the application while your phone is connected, it will tell you what PRL you have loaded.
    11-29-09 05:06 PM
    cool thanks for the info!

11-29-09 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD