What if you're on Verizon and delete the vendor file?
    05-09-09 11:34 PM
    Hey

The write up was excellent, the os i had before was really slow and laggy

i have one question though

I have a Verizon 9530, but im on a different network, i followed all of the instructions, including deleting the vendor.xml file, now the phone is update it is very smooth, no lag and nice, but i am having a hard time trying to stay on the network, is it because i removed the xml file??

I keep getting bumped off the network, and when it does go on it doesn't stay on long

any suggestions?
    05-12-09 04:02 PM
    Hey

The write up was excellent, the os i had before was really slow and laggy

i have one question though

I have a Verizon 9530, but im on a different network, i followed all of the instructions, including deleting the vendor.xml file, now the phone is update it is very smooth, no lag and nice, but i am having a hard time trying to stay on the network, is it because i removed the xml file??

I keep getting bumped off the network, and when it does go on it doesn't stay on long

any suggestions?
    Deleting the XML file will not have any effect on your Verizon line.
    Have you tried *228
    05-12-09 04:13 PM
    If you try *228 and you get something in effect from Altel it won't work.
    You'll need to get to a verizon tower and dial in *228
    That will up date your phone give it some time it will take three or four minutes.
    05-12-09 04:17 PM
    If you try *228 and you get something in effect from Altel it won't work.
    You'll need to get to a verizon tower and dial in *228
    That will up date your phone give it some time it will take three or four minutes.
    Woah, problem is im in Jamaica, any suggestions there?

Or maybe some kinda roaming feature i can use?

just saying
    05-12-09 04:20 PM
    oh and i have been reading something about service books, will that help?

My carrier is digicel
    05-12-09 04:30 PM
    If your on Verizon there sholud be a tower around there.
    Is it the phone your haing problems with or the browser??
    05-12-09 07:35 PM
    If your on Verizon there sholud be a tower around there.
    Is it the phone your haing problems with or the browser??
    Browser, phone is fine, i downgraded the phones OS yesterday after i posted and to my surprise and it is working totally fine, now my question is, i am not receiving emails with gmail, nor am i receiving face book notifications

How do i resolve this?? i saw a thread about doing it for tmobile and att, but will it work for me here in jamaica, on Digicel??

trying to find he thread link now
    05-13-09 05:34 PM
    This is an excellent bb build

The Screen Is Snappy and when I say snappy i mean it

Scrolling is more liquid and uniform (not as jumpy)

This was released in previous builds but I find that the full qwerty in portrait mode works alot better.

Found that the camera operated 100xs better

Only error that occured is that my calender did not sync but that was no biggie because of the backup i had

the browser is really snappy also... it opens up alot faster

apps seem to load faster as well as when you do a batt pull the entire device seems to load a whole **** of a lot faster.

Very satisfied with this build however it would have been nicer for RIM to just release it out over the air.... but thats what you get when you sign up to be a free beta tester.

All in all Get this build so far it is the stablest version that i have loaded yet

Also a nice thing that rim added was when you are typing something and you find that you have made an error it actually has a scroll thing in side the text box that allows you to see what normally you are covering up with your finger... meaning you can go directly to the area that you have made the mistake and fix it with ease.... kudos RIM
    05-16-09 12:57 AM
    I followed the Steps in OP. After installing the .148 OS, I connected BB and Ran Desktop Manager 4.7. Then I went to App Loader and ran that. No new OS shows up. I have reinstalled the OS and am now reinstalled Desktop Manager. Am I missing something?
    05-21-09 09:42 AM
    I followed the Steps in OP. After installing the .148 OS, I connected BB and Ran Desktop Manager 4.7. Then I went to App Loader and ran that. No new OS shows up. I have reinstalled the OS and am now reinstalled Desktop Manager. Am I missing something?
    Nope, im getting the same problem, done many upgrades in past also and now i run into this.
    Keeps telling me the software on the device is newer then what i want to install...deleted vendor file, unhooked internet, same deal....i stumped right now
    05-21-09 09:45 AM
    Nope, im getting the same problem, done many upgrades in past also and now i run into this.
    Keeps telling me the software on the device is newer then what i want to install...deleted vendor file, unhooked internet, same deal....i stumped right now
    I read something about using Desktop Manager 4.6 and not 4.7. But I am not even getting to that point. I don't even see the OS to install it. I have also read abt people using App Loader directly out of the Research in Motion folder on their hard drive. I don't have that folder. So I can only open App Loader from DM.
    05-21-09 09:53 AM
    I read something about using Desktop Manager 4.6 and not 4.7. But I am not even getting to that point. I don't even see the OS to install it. I have also read abt people using App Loader directly out of the Research in Motion folder on their hard drive. I don't have that folder. So I can only open App Loader from DM.
    Ive tried both ways and still getting "No Software Update is Required for your Device"

You can start 'Loader.exe', its in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

but i still didnt get anywhere with it....
    05-21-09 09:56 AM
    Ive tried both ways and still getting "No Software Update is Required for your Device"

You can start 'Loader.exe', its in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

but i still didnt get anywhere with it....
    I don't even have a file in that path. Maybe an XP thang. I am installing DM on my Laptop and will try from scratch there.
    05-21-09 10:12 AM
    I don't even have a file in that path. Maybe an XP thang. I am installing DM on my Laptop and will try from scratch there.
    Well in the past i used to use VIsta for all my upgrades, worked without any problems, and i just recenty went to windows 7 and this is the first upgrade since so im thinking my problem lies within that somehow, BUT others have used windows 7 to do upgrades so i dont know....
    05-21-09 10:24 AM
    Well in the past i used to use VIsta for all my upgrades, worked without any problems, and i just recenty went to windows 7 and this is the first upgrade since so im thinking my problem lies within that somehow, BUT others have used windows 7 to do upgrades so i dont know....
    I found the right info...App Loader is in the Common Files. Right Path is actually:

C:/ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Apploade r.

Vista users is basically the same: C:\ProgramFiles(*86)/CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Apploader.

So I am working off a fresh install of DM and will reinstall OS and see if I can use App Loader w/o DM to get it done.
    05-21-09 10:37 AM
    ok, so i tried to follow the directions in upgrading my OS to .148 and my Storm is not stud on a white screen with what looks like a BB and Computer with two arrows in the middle...did i F something up or is it installing?

please tell me its the later?
    05-22-09 08:40 PM
    Awsome its updated! I had a 2nd vendor.xml file that needed to be deleted. Now running .141 thanks to all the helpfull guides and stickies. Thanks!
    05-23-09 12:49 PM
    still doesnt work for me im using vista and trying to get new storm OS .148 on computer but not working. I tried every route that has been posted and not working. Pleasse someone help a fellow crackberry member ASAP
    05-26-09 10:08 PM
    Just tried to follow directions for .151 - ran software on PC - Back-up but when I go to DM to Update it does not give .151 just shows my current OS .148 - guess I did something wrong?
    07-13-09 12:53 PM
    Just tried to follow directions for .151 - ran software on PC - Back-up but when I go to DM to Update it does not give .151 just shows my current OS .148 - guess I did something wrong?
    do this
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...system-208714/
    07-13-09 01:03 PM
    I just upgraded to .151 and have just one tip that I haven't seen here yet:

From Desktop Manager->Application Loader, I had to click the Browse... button, then browse to the Program Files (x386)/Common Files/Research In Motion/Shared/Loader Files/9500-v4.7.0.151_P4.0.0.186 directory and select all of the .alx files there. Otherwise, it didn't see the new version.
    07-16-09 05:34 AM
    I just upgraded to .151 and have just one tip that I haven't seen here yet:

From Desktop Manager->Application Loader, I had to click the Browse... button, then browse to the Program Files (x386)/Common Files/Research In Motion/Shared/Loader Files/9500-v4.7.0.151_P4.0.0.186 directory and select all of the .alx files there. Otherwise, it didn't see the new version.
    Same here, I have never been able to get the Loader to see the new OS the way ALL of these "how to" posts show it.

I always have to browse and manually add the alx files.
    07-26-09 09:05 AM
    newbie question: how do i determine which version of phone (radio) my storm has? tia ...
    Last edited by scotteggleston; 07-30-09 at 11:46 AM. Reason: clarity
    07-30-09 10:16 AM
    Same here.... just downloaded 151... connected to DM followed steps up to step 7 and DM does not find the new OS.
    I am Verizon and on 148..... would love to try 151.... anyne ??
    08-01-09 10:08 AM
699 ... 2324252627 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD