Don, I suggest adding this one to your "other threads of interest":
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/wh...l-file-120048/

It helped me with my install problem.
    12-27-08 04:28 PM
    don, CX,

might be helpful if we had this link stickied

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw&locale=en

along with this, the advanced options, register now for the service books info
    12-27-08 06:03 PM
    Instead of disconnecting from the internet you can do ctrl+alt+del and kill the process BbDevMgr.exe and RIMDeviceManager.exe
    I just go into network properties and disable the adapter. reenable after i update.
    12-27-08 07:38 PM
    I followed the steps 1-14 and DM tells me I have no new software to add...any idea what I should do next?
    12-27-08 10:47 PM
    did you disconnect your internet where you were supposed to?
    12-28-08 12:02 AM
    I have followed the directions exactly, but keep coming up with the same problem. After installing the new OS on my PC and starting DM, it never asks if I want to update. So I go to the App Loader and try to do this via "Update Software" and every time I get the message "A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again."

I have the newest DM version just downloaded off the RIM site and am trying to upgrade from .76 to .85.

Thanks for any advice!

Mark
    12-28-08 02:15 AM
    ramahl and mdevitre, try following the instructions here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/wh...l-file-120048/
    12-28-08 08:32 AM
    I have followed the directions exactly, but keep coming up with the same problem. After installing the new OS on my PC and starting DM, it never asks if I want to update. So I go to the App Loader and try to do this via "Update Software" and every time I get the message "A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again."

I have the newest DM version just downloaded off the RIM site and am trying to upgrade from .76 to .85.

Thanks for any advice!

Mark
    i'd uninstall DM and all OS's and then reinstall...sounds like something is corrupted
    12-28-08 10:05 AM
    I just installed ver .85 on my Storm after several tries. I was upgrading from v.75 and not from the original operating system with Verizon as my carrier.

I had to rename the vendor.xml file before it would recognize the op sys. Until I did that it would only see the old op sys even though I had run the install program. Once I renamed the vendor file and ran everything over again everything worked OK. I would guess that is because I had installed the v.75 before it was released by Verizon.

So far I am impressed with the changes. Haven't used it enough to see if there are any "gotchas"

I didn't do a battery pull, but everything seems to work OK. Haven't lost any apps or even any of the associated ring tones or setting on any of the apps. Hard to put my finger on it, but everything seems to work a little faster.
    Last edited by jimymc; 12-28-08 at 02:46 PM. Reason: screwed up version numbers + more comments
    12-28-08 11:56 AM
    u mean .85?
    12-28-08 12:14 PM
    Thanks for the DIY, worked perfect on my storm. It took around 20 min, so far it looks like my few apps came back, removed 1 (on purpose) and just did a batt pull.

Thanks!!!
    12-28-08 02:02 PM
    wow i need help....ive been at this for a couple hours now and i finally got .85 listed in the updates available in my DM. Great right?!?! NOT! I check the box for it and go hit next and then comes up nothing available. Need help please.
    12-28-08 03:15 PM
    When i am trying to back my storm it stops and i get this error at "smart card option" it stops and says "error backing up database" wont go past smart card options in the backup process anyone know why this happends?? thanks in advance
    12-28-08 04:35 PM
    OK... I thought everything was allright. My home page folders were in a different order, but that was a little thing. All my apps worked correctly and the associations, like ring tones assigned to contacts, etc. worked right. Everything seemed to work faster. Then on about the third time I turned the system off and back on it froze on the Verizon splash screen. I pulled the battery and everything was Ok. Time will tell if this is going to be a recurring problem.
    12-28-08 05:34 PM
    When i am trying to back my storm it stops and i get this error at "smart card option" it stops and says "error backing up database" wont go past smart card options in the backup process anyone know why this happends?? thanks in advance
    Start your browser, use the BB menu button and select options.... clear everything under the catche settings.... then try your backup again.
    12-28-08 06:09 PM
    Everybody that is having trouble with the .87 showing up, And you were sent a replacement device, here's what I did.

I tried many times to upgrade, using the specified way of 4 respected members, did not work. Then I deleted the DM and the update, thru control panel. Then I re-installed them and shut down the computer as directed. This time it worked, so I think a lot of people are having trouble because we have more than one pin on our acct's. ??
    12-28-08 07:11 PM
    .87? do you mean .85?
    12-28-08 07:16 PM
    Wheres .87 I Wanna Try It
    12-28-08 07:20 PM
    .87 is not out...typo obviously
    12-28-08 07:21 PM
    Sorry, was a typo, again sorry.
    12-28-08 07:45 PM
    please fix your post
    12-28-08 07:51 PM
    please fix your post
    Don, new to this so sorry if I posted incorrectly. I am one of the posters having troubles with their DM finding the new upgrade. I have followed your sticky thread and even triend the "ctrl-alt-del" option someone posted. Still no luck. I saw a post you had earlier asking someone if they " noticed .85 in their DM, help. about dm" drop down. I do see it. I did not see a follow up thread after your response. Appreciate your help
    12-28-08 10:30 PM
    so when you're in Dm > application loader > update

you don't see .85?
    12-28-08 10:31 PM
    I do see the .85 in my DM about drop down
    12-28-08 10:33 PM
    Sorry, I do not see it as an option in my update loader
    12-28-08 10:34 PM
699 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD