View Poll Results: Was this article helpful?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 70.27%
  • No

11 14.86%
  • Sort of

11 14.86%
    which is the one i have..good call
    Does you curve handoff from edge to uma, and vice versa okay?
    04-25-09 11:26 AM
    Why is it necessary to enable user defined routers in desktop manager. What functionality does that enable. I have the tmobile router that is use exclusively for UMa but it is off another main router I use for Xbox360, and wireless. My uma works well but I do get the hiccups when talking where people can't hear a word or two once in awhile.
    04-25-09 01:15 PM
    Does you curve handoff from edge to uma, and vice versa okay?
    Yup..hands off with no problem. Even in mid call. I've yet to have a problem

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-09 02:08 PM
    Well done, thanks!
    04-25-09 06:37 PM
    Thanks! This helped a lot.
    I have an older D-Link router (DI-624) and could not get UMA working. The port setting is under the Advanced tab and Applications.
    05-02-09 03:11 AM
    Hello. I bought my 8900 unlocked. I have compared mine with a friend's old wi-fi curve and there's some UMA related things installed that mine doesn't have it. Is there a way to install the UMA feature in a 8900 when this one doesn't have it?.
    05-03-09 01:30 AM
    my netgear doesn't really like working with uma looks like a new router for me now
    If you're looking for an excuse to buy a new router, then you found one. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the problem is with Netgear however.
    05-03-09 11:08 AM
    If you're looking for an excuse to buy a new router, then you found one. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the problem is with Netgear however.
    Totally false. I have a few Netgear routers which all of them do not work with 8900 UMA or Bold Wifi. If there are some special settings buried within these routers, then so be it. But I have had no issues with most other routers and they work right out of the box, with zero setup.

Just because you don't have any problems, don't be so quick to judge.
    05-03-09 12:23 PM
    Hi everybody!

I have recently got an unlocked curve 8900 and i too have thie issue of not appearing to have UMA working. Basically, i do not have the "connection preferences" option in the mobile network options which could otherwise be(as directed via the user guide)set to wifi preffered.

After battling for the past three days on this issue, i found an extremely useful thread which discuses the fact that certain network providers have tools provided by RIM that can activate this (ie end users cant do it themselves).

The thread name is .206/.231 and UMA and the person whom has provided this idea goes under the name of methos.

I havent at this time managed to contact this person nor the network involved ie orange, so i cannot guarantee that this may work but as it is a relatively new post, it sounds promising.

Will feedback as soon as i have more info on this
    05-06-09 11:19 PM
    05-07-09 06:26 AM
    Hate to be the new guy here, but UMA mode, do I need to have some sort of hotspot service with my service provider in order to use it?

I don't want to be able to place calls using UMA while at home as I already get excellent service coverage. Does it use alot of date for my home wifi? I onyl get 20gigs download a month on my home internet and have been seeing an increase in usage. Not sure if it's cause of the BB using UMA? Is there a way to disable it, but still connect to WIFI?
    05-10-09 02:54 PM
    this did not work. I'm sure it helped someone though I just have terrible luck when it comes to well... pretty much everything. thanks anyways. still getting a W006.1 error
    05-10-09 09:38 PM
    I have FIOS 20/20 and all I can say is that the wireless sucks on on the Verizon router.

I had to tweak it alot to get it to work with uma
    05-10-09 09:47 PM
    Hate to be the new guy here, but UMA mode, do I need to have some sort of hotspot service with my service provider in order to use it?

I don't want to be able to place calls using UMA while at home as I already get excellent service coverage. Does it use alot of date for my home wifi? I onyl get 20gigs download a month on my home internet and have been seeing an increase in usage. Not sure if it's cause of the BB using UMA? Is there a way to disable it, but still connect to WIFI?
    No, you do not need the "Hotspot at Home" feature added to your service plan. If you do have it then all UMA calls will be free. If you do not have it then all UMA calls are normally deducted from your mobile network plan.

UMA does not use up much data so I think your problem lies someplace else. If you want to disable UMA then modify the following option:

Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Connection Preference = Mobile Network Only
    05-10-09 11:44 PM
    Thanks 3CISSBB. I wasn't having any problems with UMA other than the occasional echoing (hearing myself for a split-second), but I used your guide to configure my Linksys Wireless-G. Hopefully I won't have problems going forward.
    Last edited by Scotty.dont; 06-16-09 at 12:51 AM.
    06-14-09 04:38 PM
    Updated main page with some screenshots of newer 'N' routers and their setup.
    07-29-09 02:18 PM
    You are such a loser!!! :P
    07-29-09 02:47 PM
    You are such a loser!!! :P
    Don't hate Clint. I have to keep updating 'cuz all the newbies will be complaining about searching for 'N' router configuration and couldn't find it.
    07-29-09 02:55 PM
    LOL... actually I still need to do this at my house... it hasn't been a priority because I get a great signal at home....
    07-29-09 03:02 PM
    So, I just got an 8900 a couple days ago, and I haven't tried it anywhere but home. I have a Netgear N router at home, and when I try to connect to my network, it tells me I have to use a PIN and then will give me a sequence of 8 numbers to enter into my router... I have no idea how to do that. Can anyone help me??
    07-29-09 07:10 PM
    Do you have to assign the Curve a static IP? If so, how do you do that?

I have the WRT54G with firmware 8.00.5

Thanks!
    Last edited by acl198; 07-31-09 at 07:44 PM.
    07-31-09 12:11 AM
    @3CISSBB - (Chris?) -

Great initial post and update, and an invaluable thread. I've just been working with my own setup which is, as expected, somewhat different. I have a question regarding part of your Linksys config, and I also found that other minor adjustments seem to have made a tremendous difference in the stability of my UMA connection.

First the question: on the initial post where you discuss QoS settings in the Linksys, you're showing the QoS Page under Applications & Gaming. The screen shot shows that you enabled QoS management at the top of the screen, set the upstream bandwidth to "auto" and gave the highest priority to the Curve.

I did the same thing at first when setting up security in my WRTU54G-TM router (Linksys provided by T-Mobile to support T-Mobile@Home UMA replacement service for landlines). Then I realized that the top half of the screen with the label QoS (in white letters on the black background) is for wired connections. As the Linksys-provided directions on the right note, the wired QoS config (which is that top half of the screen) is for "devices plugged into the router with an Ethernet cable", as opposed to the Wireless QoS config (bottom portion of the screen) which is there to "control devices that are wirelessly connected to the router".

From what I can see, the Wireless QoS section provides only the single option, to enable or disable WMM support. Enabling it is clearly what we need to provide QoS support for the WiFi-connected Blackberry.

As far as I can tell, the settings you added at the top (same as I did initially), specifying device priority don't impact communication with the Blackberry since these settings for are wired connections. My router is actually still set this way, as I figured it would do no harm -- but this really appears to be settings for wired connections in the top half of the screen. I'd be curious to get your take on this.

I also found various references on the net to Linksys and T-Mobile suggestions to tweak transmission details at a lower level. After trying them I was amazed at the improvement I've experienced with UMA -- especially when making a voice call over UMA. My post on this is here. Whereas UMA used to work well for data, email, SMS and MMS, voice calls would only stay connected for a few minutes before dropping. Since making the changes, I've had a few calls in the vicinity of 30 to 45 minutes, and no issues whatsoever.

All in all -- great to have a forum like this where people can share solutions.
    08-04-09 11:37 PM
    @3CISSBB - (Chris?) -

Great initial post and update, and an invaluable thread. I've just been working with my own setup which is, as expected, somewhat different. I have a question regarding part of your Linksys config, and I also found that other minor adjustments seem to have made a tremendous difference in the stability of my UMA connection.

First the question: on the initial post where you discuss QoS settings in the Linksys, you're showing the QoS Page under Applications & Gaming. The screen shot shows that you enabled QoS management at the top of the screen, set the upstream bandwidth to "auto" and gave the highest priority to the Curve.

I did the same thing at first when setting up security in my WRTU54G-TM router (Linksys provided by T-Mobile to support T-Mobile@Home UMA replacement service for landlines). Then I realized that the top half of the screen with the label QoS (in white letters on the black background) is for wired connections. As the Linksys-provided directions on the right note, the wired QoS config (which is that top half of the screen) is for "devices plugged into the router with an Ethernet cable", as opposed to the Wireless QoS config (bottom portion of the screen) which is there to "control devices that are wirelessly connected to the router".

From what I can see, the Wireless QoS section provides only the single option, to enable or disable WMM support. Enabling it is clearly what we need to provide QoS support for the WiFi-connected Blackberry.

As far as I can tell, the settings you added at the top (same as I did initially), specifying device priority don't impact communication with the Blackberry since these settings for are wired connections. My router is actually still set this way, as I figured it would do no harm -- but this really appears to be settings for wired connections in the top half of the screen. I'd be curious to get your take on this.

I also found various references on the net to Linksys and T-Mobile suggestions to tweak transmission details at a lower level. After trying them I was amazed at the improvement I've experienced with UMA -- especially when making a voice call over UMA. My post on this is here. Whereas UMA used to work well for data, email, SMS and MMS, voice calls would only stay connected for a few minutes before dropping. Since making the changes, I've had a few calls in the vicinity of 30 to 45 minutes, and no issues whatsoever.

All in all -- great to have a forum like this where people can share solutions.
    I know the original post looks confusing, but even the top part supports wireless. Yes, I understand that it says wireless QoS at the bottom but at the top where you can assign Device Priority to MAC addresses, that is for wireless devices also.

As far as tweaking some settings like Threshold levels; I have not seen them make a difference; but that is only for myself. They may make a difference to you. Every wireless situation is different.
    08-05-09 09:32 AM
    3C.... you need to come to my house and set up my wifi....for UMA!!!!

08-05-09 09:39 AM
    3C.... you need to come to my house and set up my wifi....for UMA!!!!

Don't fall for it 3C ... he's just trying to hit on you!!!
    08-05-09 10:53 AM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD