Right now I have like 95 MB free on my 9720, how much is considered to be a good amount of free memory?
    10-06-13 05:08 AM
    Honestly? This is what I know:
    It is said to keep half of the "Hardware/Device-Memory" free... If you have more data, then support your device with a SD-HC-Card, of its capacity (for my Bold 8GB worked well, for my Q10 I use 32 GB SD-XC)... It is said the OS lags if you have less than that... It is valid for Playstation, too... It is a sort of Rule of thumb I kept from some PC-Magazine I read some time ago. But has it been proven for our Blackberrys, too?

Posted via my Q10, Germany
    10-06-13 05:17 AM
    I'm not sure how much a 9720 starts with after reboot, but it will fill slowly with usage and incoming messages (email etc). I suggest you do a battery pull to reboot, and check the free memory after startup to get a baseline figure.
    10-06-13 05:25 AM
    I'm not sure how much a 9720 starts with after reboot, but it will fill slowly with usage and incoming messages (email etc). I suggest you do a battery pull to reboot, and check the free memory after startup to get a baseline figure.
    After a battery pull, I only have 95 MB free and that decreases by another 10 MB after some usage whilst the total device memory is 512 MB

- The built in sample videos take a huge amount of memory
    - I never use device analyzer and battery saving mode as they drain the battery more than do any good, so I don't need them and they are taking space

I have now wiped my OS and downloading the same OS again even though my carrier is Du from Dubai, I am downloading the same OS version from Vodafone UK I hope there won't be problems with the Radio file what do you think?

The UAE carriers both Etisalat and Du still don't have a downloads section for the 9720

PS: It was classified as a Curve 9720 on most UK websites like Orange UK and Vodafone UK
    10-06-13 05:39 AM
    Same OS build number will get you exactly the same download and installed content. The only difference is the vendor.xml file which locks the install to a specific VendorID (until you find and delete vendor.xml to unlock the loader).

If you're only getting a 10Meg drop as it settles down that's not bad, and you have the baseline. I would expect free memory to creep down slowly with usage, maybe around 5MBytes/week rather than 20MBytes/week. Slow change is typical of stored content increasing, and if you watch over several days you might see it level out with free memory moving up and down as memory gets reclaimed by the OS. A major or rapid downward change (or consistent downward trend over days and weeks) is more indicative of a memory leak from a buggy application.
    10-06-13 07:30 AM
    Right now I have like 95 MB free on my 9720, how much is considered to be a good amount of free memory?
    it also depends on how many apps. installed on your phone, usually is around 123 MB (with a lot of apps installed) to 225+ MB available memory after we shrunk the OS, you can use BBHtools to shrink the OS to get more memory space (check the apps./language files that you don't want to install and shrink it)

here is the BBHtools (V 2.4.9.7a) link: lyricidal / @theiexplorers Home Page
    10-06-13 08:02 AM
    well shrinking didn't work for me because I couldn't even reload the OS

So I used BlackBerry Desktop Manager to restore back the OS but because I did that, it didn't download the built in music and videos so I saved a whole lot of space:

10-06-13 08:47 AM
    well shrinking didn't work for me because I couldn't even reload the OS

So I used BlackBerry Desktop Manager to restore back the OS but because I did that, it didn't download the built in music and videos so I saved a whole lot of space:

http://i44.tinypic.com/4imqol.png
    You have 178,5 MB free space which is OK., when we reload an OS we don't need the intro video cods. anymore since they're already stored in device memory, we can't see them (in modules/cods) or delete them unless we use a tool called Full erase.

Sent from my SM-T311 using CB Forums mobile app
    Last edited by Sator; 10-06-13 at 11:41 AM.
    10-06-13 11:25 AM