that's cool I had been wondering about that too.... thanks man
    07-28-08 12:50 AM
    Im new to all this stuff...does anyone know how to make the ringtones for SMS work on tha 8100? Thx
    07-30-08 12:32 AM
    *sigh*
    I'm really really sorry.
    I want a ringtone for each person for when they call me, email me, sms me etc.

But I also need to be able to switch to my sleep profile..but I have to have it ring when only certain 5 people call me...(bosses)..but nobody else.

I'm lost.
    07-30-08 07:14 AM
    OK got it --- for those of you that want to have an exception applied to only specific profiles... i.e. not have an exception applied while in a meeting or sleeping..... here's what you do. follow the steps at the beginning of this post, THEN make your "meeting" or "sleep" profile active and scroll down to the "use active profile except for" area. You'll see a long list of all the folks you have custom ring tones set up for. it'll say "calls from XYZ" then waaaay down at the bottom it'll look different and just have the one word of your exception, uncheck that box and viola... your meeting or sleep profile will now ignore that exception. by the way, not to get off thread here, but while we're talking about custom ring tones.. try this... use the "voice recorder" application on your phone to have your wife, girlfriend, whoever make a recording. Then when saving that recording use the menu function to go "up" to your ringtone folder and then when creating your exception use their own voice as the ringtone. It's pretty cool to have my wife's voice say, "honey, answer your phone" or another message for SMS, "hey baby, when you have a chance check your text messages." it's a riot to have this go off public when my little girl's voice is saying, "daddy, please pick up your phone!"
    07-30-08 03:20 PM
    I see what the problem is now, when you check or uncheck the exception to apply that stays with whatever profile is active... that sucks, there's got to be solution, remember... the berry wants to please its' master
    07-30-08 03:33 PM
    It doesn't look like their is a solution. It appears that the phone does what it is supposed to do or designed to do even if that's not what some of us want. Including myself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-08 02:26 AM
    this thread is lots of confusing. OP should edit post so it is more clear!!!
    08-01-08 10:43 AM
    I followed Naviwilliams directions to the T, however still not working. Whenever I have the contact call me, it still uses the active profile (Normal) even after I put a check in the "Use Active Profile Except For". I use a 8320 Curve.
    Wondered if anybody has a solution yet.
    08-05-08 11:57 PM
    I saw in an earlier post someone else had this problem as well..... When using an exception all seems to work fine. However the custom ring tone set up for the exception's SMS seems to attach itself to ALL SMS. Which is wierd because emails, phone calls and everything else works perfect, but specifically SMS - I checked that my active profile is set for the tone I want - it is. But ALL SMS rings with the tone that should be ONLY for the exception. not a huge deal, just frustrating. IS ANYONE OUT THERE AN EXPERT ON THIS AND CAN THEY POST VERY DETAILED STEP BY STEPS WITH SCREENSHOTS - 'CAUSE THERE'S A LOT OF OUT HERE THAT AREN'T GETTING IT!!!
    08-19-08 02:57 PM
    I think you are getting it. From the directions you just gave it sounds like you are doing it right. Not sure why yours isn't working.

08-19-08 03:36 PM
    I've tried this millions of times with no success!!!!! Just bought bb8330 from sprint and these are the same exact help instructions from the phone but THEY DON'T WORK!! Help! This is a wonderful feature i'd like to have given I paid for such an advanced and expensive phone lol.
    08-19-08 04:47 PM
    When I get the SMS message that I have a new voice mail - regardless of who the missed call was from - the SMS notification tone that should be only for my wife sounds. But only when it's an SMS telling me I have a new voice mail. Do you think that since the SMS is not "from" a specific contact, but is system generated that perhaps is contributing to the issue? Is there some filter for "unknown" to always default to the active profile? I'm just trying to troubleshoot this, and I think the problem hinges on the message coming from a source that is not found in the address book. Which begs the question, can I turn off the SMS notification for new voice mail? When I miss a call and the caller leaves voice mail, my screen lights up like a christmas tree, I get literally 4 icons: messages, SMS, voice mail, missed call. when I see the VM icon, I'll check it, why the redunancy with the SMS?
    08-20-08 11:47 AM
    You can customize your notification preferences so you don't get all of the sms messages when you miss a call. I'm not sure as I haven't used regular vm in a long time. There is one notification that stays though.

08-21-08 10:08 PM
    I have the opposite question, how do I delete a special ringtone for a specific contact? I want to remove it but I see no way of doing so. Thanks.
    08-22-08 11:38 AM
    I have the opposite question, how do I delete a special ringtone for a specific contact? I want to remove it but I see no way of doing so. Thanks.
    From home screen click <<profiles>> scolll to <<advanced>> then scroll down to the exceptions (listed under the profiles) when the one you want to delete is highlighted, don't click on it just push the menu button - then you'll see an option to delete. Viola- done

08-24-08 10:56 AM
    I have the Curve 8330 and I love to make my own wallpapers but when I do that the icons on the main screen get in my way. Is there a way I can remove the 5 icons on the main screen so I can see just my wallpaper?

Thanks, Onyx
    09-10-08 06:44 AM
    I have the Curve 8330 and I love to make my own wallpapers but when I do that the icons on the main screen get in my way. Is there a way I can remove the 5 icons on the main screen so I can see just my wallpaper?

Thanks, Onyx
    sorry to get off subject- just a short diversion here....

no, I don't think so. However, why would you want to? just for the purpose of seeing the wallpaper better? Whenever you wanted to do anything other that just look at wallpaper you'd have to display the icon anyhow.

By the way, I love playing with wallpaper also. Here's a cool way of usinfg wallpaper w/ the verizon theme -- find a really cool floor pattern (hardwood floors that are stained really nice, marble, granite, cobblestone, etc.) the lighter the color the better (so the icons have a nice contrast to the background) then take a picture and try to get a bit of a very light colored wall on the top 1/4 of the screen. What happens is the banner displaying the time date, signal strength, etc, has a nice light background and the area of the screen that "breaks" from the banner area to the area where the wallpaper is has a nice little pattern break to it. I don't know if I described this well, if more info is needed - send me a message.

now, back to the subject of the thread -- specific ring tones......
    09-10-08 02:18 PM
    I was going to post a guide for this. But since there is this one I'll just post what I typed up as a suppliment to the thread.

Create a new profile and name it something like John's custom tones. Then choose the ringer, email, SMS, etc tones you want to use to notify you of John's different types of communications.

Next create an exceptionand name it something like use John's custom tones. In the from field choose add name from the menu and pick John from you address book. For use profile choose John's custom tones. Remove the check in the custom phone tune since John's custom tones profile is specifying the phone ringer tone.

If you decide to use another active profile such as vibrate, quiet, or otherwise special case profile you don't want specific persons setups to be used in place of make sure to uncheck the exception from the list when switching profiles. When switching back to another profile you want the custom specific persons setups to work just check the boxes for them.

09-11-08 02:34 AM
    Somebody has tought me this tips. But thanks anyway for refreshing as I forget some of the steps since I rarely use it.
    09-11-08 05:15 AM
    i have the bb8330 and all i want is to make different people have different ringtones. . so far my bb has been a nightmare, so any advice on how to learn to love this would be great, but i would like to at least be able to set different songs to a few different people. . . help??? thanks so much
    09-12-08 02:19 AM
    If all you want is a custom tone for the phone ringer that is added in the address book. Select the person in the address book, press the menu button and choose add custom ringtone.

09-12-08 02:41 AM
    i have the bb8330 and all i want is to make different people have different ringtones. . so far my bb has been a nightmare, so any advice on how to learn to love this would be great, but i would like to at least be able to set different songs to a few different people. . . help??? thanks so much
    Dude, don't hate the berry. I know it appears overwhelming and intimidating but there will come a time very soon when it just starts "clicking" and everything makes sense. Be patient, use the forums. Trust me. You'll love the berry very soon and will be amazed at the functionality and ease of use don't give up

09-12-08 10:30 AM
    SO now that i can set ringtones per person, how do i make my default ringtone something? thanks. . . im sure once i figure it out i will like it, just so many options HA
    09-12-08 01:35 PM
    All I want to a sound when I get mail. How do I do that?
    09-12-08 03:01 PM
    Remove the check in the custom phone tune since John's custom tones profile is specifying the phone ringer tone.
    THIS IS IMPORTANT -- to my knowledge it has not been stated before and means a world of difference. don't overlook this tiny little ck mark.
    09-12-08 06:02 PM
256 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD