First, create a new Profile, call it whatever you want. In that Profile, set the tone for SMS, mail, phone, etc, etc., that you want for that contact to notify you...

Next, go to profiles, scroll down to advanced, and press Menu / New Exception...

Call the the exception whatever you want, I'd pick the same thing as the profile you just created. In the FROM field, click Menu to Add Name, then select said contact from your address book...

Next, under "Use Profile" you will click to change that option to the profile named whatever you called your profile. Add the custom phone tune you want the said contact to have and make sure you enable that exception with the checkmark in the box.

You're done! When said person calls, sends a text etc, you'll know by said tone...
    Ps: I did not write this, well, I editied a few things, I found it online, but it works...
    aimee.eileen likes this.
    07-03-08 06:50 AM
    Great tips as usual. It's nice to see some "recycling" of topics for our ever expanding viewing audience
    07-03-08 06:55 AM
    I am sure this will be useful and handy... I have heard this asked far too many times!!
    07-03-08 10:14 AM
    great tip but quick question, when i have my phone set to vibrate, will the profile still be in effect?? [i wanna still be discrete about using my phone at work, who wants blaring ringers to annoy them anyway, but i wanna be able to tell when my girlfriend is calling/texting/emailing when i set it to loud/normal]
    07-03-08 10:29 AM
    So I feel like such a noob. But I've followed every instruction 3x over and when I get to the use profile part there isnt an option to pick what I've named it.
    07-03-08 03:03 PM
    This seems handy. Ill check it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-08 07:40 PM
    I was about to ask about this, I couldn't figure out how to set my sound for texts. Thanks!
    07-07-08 01:35 AM
    Ok, I've noticed one oddity with this on my Pearl 8130. I have two of these set up, both exactly the same. I set up the first one, test it, everything works great. I set up the second one and test it, and now every SMS message that comes in (not just the specified address) uses the custom alert tone for this exception. Anybody else run into this?
    07-07-08 01:11 PM
    great tip but quick question, when i have my phone set to vibrate, will the profile still be in effect?? [i wanna still be discrete about using my phone at work, who wants blaring ringers to annoy them anyway, but i wanna be able to tell when my girlfriend is calling/texting/emailing when i set it to loud/normal]
    Right now I have setup a different tone for just the phone calls for a contact (i don't care about sms, email, etc), so instead of going through naviwilliams steps you just need to add the ringtone through the contact. From then on it will show that contact's name in your advanced profiles screen under "Use Active Profile Except For: "contact's name" and you put a checkmark next to it.

So to go back to mu2ri's question: If you set your profile to vibrate which should vibrate for all calls, then these exceptions will still ring their designated ringtone. Anyone know how to get around this? I'd like to keep the ringtone for the contact but not if i'm in a meeting and i want all calls to vibrate.

Seems like the only workaround is to uncheck those exceptions when you switch to the vibrate profile.
    07-08-08 07:33 AM
    This is also my question. If you have to uncheck the boxes each time you come in and out of vibrate then forget about it.
    07-09-08 02:10 PM
    finding out how to do this made me so happy!! I am tired of new phones today and not being able to do this! I SMS A LOT!!! and its nice to know who it is by the distinguished ringtone! and I dont hear the same song over and over!!

but yes this whole vibrate thing.....that is a tuff one and I use my phone discretely at work, in class, or meetings (even though ur not supposed to lol) and dont want a song blaring wen an exception person calls....
    Last edited by stephlegs; 07-11-08 at 12:38 AM.
    07-11-08 12:35 AM
    This is also my question. If you have to uncheck the boxes each time you come in and out of vibrate then forget about it.
    I tested with my 8310 and if the phone on vibrate it will only vibrate and not play the specified ringtone. However, I use the "Quiet" profile for when i'm sleeping and since i have a ringtone setup for that it will play the exception ringtone i setup for the contact.
    07-11-08 03:47 PM
    That is kind of strange. I wish it weren't so. I wish it would only play a tone if tone was selected in the profile. And if tone is selected then the exception could have a different tone.

07-12-08 02:29 AM
    That is kind of strange. I wish it weren't so. I wish it would only play a tone if tone was selected in the profile. And if tone is selected then the exception could have a different tone.
    But that is what it does. If you have tone selected in the active profile then it will play the exception tone for the contact. If you do not have tone selected (if you have vibrate) then the exception tone doesn't play. Only vibrate for all calls regardless of exceptions.
    07-12-08 08:14 AM
    Soooo... Am I 2 guess that u can only set the specific notification 4 1 person?? Thia isn't working 4 me. I have the 8320 curve.

07-12-08 09:06 AM
    Soooo... Am I 2 guess that u can only set the specific notification 4 1 person?? Thia isn't working 4 me. I have the 8320 curve.
    You can set the phone ringtone to as many people as you want.. but it would appear you can not do that for sms, email, etc.
    07-12-08 11:17 AM
    You can do it for email and sms by creating a new profile and adding the profile as an exception.

Someone said if you put it on quiet or silent the exception tone still rings even though its on silent.

07-12-08 12:44 PM
    Oooookkkkk. I tried it & it seems that for certain profiles its still not playing the correct txt song. Uggg!! I have followed step by step twice.

07-12-08 02:10 PM
    When you set up the exception don't select "active profile" select the name of the profile you created. Then when you go to vibrate or quiet the exception won't apply.

07-15-08 05:39 PM
    So for you the exception isn't an exception when set to quiet and vibrate?

07-16-08 02:50 AM
    I get an error message that says:

"Name cannot be empty"

I have the following:

Custom Phone is checked

Tune: Ringer_BBpro_2

Won't work! Help!
    07-19-08 02:03 PM
    omg. thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!
    07-19-08 07:53 PM
    But if you create a profile for someone to get text and email exceptions.you won't get silent or vibrate. You'll get an exception. I guess that's what its for but I like to go quiet or vibrate for the entire phone. Even exceptions.

07-20-08 10:47 AM
    Hello IM a newb i just got the 8330 and love it and i was wondering when i make a new profile to cutomize a sms ringtone for a contact if it only works if im on that profile? If anyone can help id appreciate it thanks.
    07-21-08 03:09 PM
    Thank You!
    07-25-08 02:48 AM
256 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD