Looks like enough people have complained about this that RIM is considering putting it back...

KB22740-Lock no longer prompts for the BlackBerry smartphone password

Note the RESOLUTION section....
    "This issue has been escalated to either have this process reversed or have a new IT policy in the BlackBerry Administration Service to force the password prompt when the Lock key is pressed."
    What is the "it" when say 'Rim is considering putting "it" back'? Sounds like they are considering a change so that pressing the Lock button with Password Enabled will initiate a Password Lock. So if you meant putting that type of Password Lock back, then you're right.

This sounds good

Looks like the mute/standby key will be reinstated if rim actually makes this the next update. I am pleased.
    Did you read the short article? Where is the Mute/Standby key function mentioned. I'll give you a hint: it's not. Again, all you can tell from this is that RIM is considering making the Lock button initiate Password Lock for devices that have Password Enabled, which sounds like a good idea to me, too.
    The Standby function returning to the Mute key is not mentioned once.
    08-19-10 02:31 PM
    Right on, thanx!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-10 08:41 PM
    Is there a auto lock feature? Like after 5 minutes without touching anything the phone lock itselfs

Sometimes I don't remember to lock and put the phone in my pocket and it does some unwanted calls lol

This is my first post here so I hope I don't step on anyone's toes.
    My top LOCK button quit working so I just went to Beiks Keyboard Locker Pro ($4) so I would have a time lock, (I chose 30 seconds), or anytime I clicked the Beiks icon on the home screen. I also set the left side convenience key to lock the keyboard.

To unlock, you can pick your favorite button or use the * and green "send" button. It gave me back everything OS 5.0.0.822 took away!
    09-06-10 02:49 PM
    What is the "it" when say 'Rim is considering putting "it" back'? Sounds like they are considering a change so that pressing the Lock button with Password Enabled will initiate a Password Lock. So if you meant putting that type of Password Lock back, then you're right.

Did you read the short article? Where is the Mute/Standby key function mentioned. I'll give you a hint: it's not. Again, all you can tell from this is that RIM is considering making the Lock button initiate Password Lock for devices that have Password Enabled, which sounds like a good idea to me, too.
    The Standby function returning to the Mute key is not mentioned once.

What I mean by IT is that, according to that article, they are considering reversing this change and restoring the functionality of the button LOCK. (See the part I underlined from the above link.)

Or, at least giving a little bit of control to BES admins...

"This issue has been escalated to either have this process reversed or have a new IT policy in the BlackBerry Administration Service to force the password prompt when the Lock key is pressed."

I'm sorry if I didn't clarify that I this was only talking about the LOCK function. I figured that was a given as the whole premise of this thread is about LOCKING and UNLOCKING with the new OS.
    09-06-10 03:36 PM
    • Top Right Button does NOT put BB into Standby
    • User info only appears on screen if Password Locked (booo, RIM!)

This was the feature I missed the most.

I hate having to enter my PW everytime my phone is idle just so I can see that screen. I would use the Lock Button (Non-PW) as a sort of screensaver.. Especially with themes that would actually utilize that screen to put cool animations or stuff like that.. Plus I used a lot of "Fancy Characters" Too make my Info Screen look a lot cooler.. LOL, i know its silly but I liked it.. I'll give .442 a try some time..
    12-03-10 05:07 PM
    nice tutorial..thanks
    12-09-10 03:36 PM
    nice tutorial..thanks
    You're very welcome. Hopefully it helped.

And also, welcome to CB!
    When you have a chance, please add your device, carrier, and location to your profile. Sometimes that extra info will help others help you.
    12-09-10 04:36 PM
    Thanks for the post it was driving me CRAZY that the lock button on the top left would not lock+password my device.

Yes the drive to crazy is very short
    02-05-11 10:29 AM
    Not surprising when your username has "fanatic" in it…

Welcome to CB too!
    02-05-11 11:43 AM
    i have upgraded to firmware 6.0 on 9700 . which i like a lot.
    i have no passweord , i can lock with pressing A but for the life of me i cant unlock ( unless i put in holster and take out) . top left button does nothing. help. ( is it something to do with using BES express and some poicy setting?/)

Clearo
    04-04-11 06:52 PM
    Very informative! I learned something. Thanks!

What is "in holster" and "out of holster"?

Last edited by RichardC300; 04-04-11 at 09:07 PM.
    04-04-11 09:05 PM
    Very informative! I learned something. Thanks!
    I can't ask for better feedback than knowing you learned something.
    That's great, and you're most welcome!

What is "in holster" and "out of holster"?
    In RIM's own belt holsters and pocket pouches (pretty much encompasses their leather stuff) there is a so-called "sleeper magnet" which puts your device into Standby.
    There are a few 3rd party accessories that have it too, most notably Seidio Innocase and their similar spring-clip holsters. Most do not.

So "in holster" and "out of holster" literally means putting your BB into one of those holsters or taking it out.

I hope I understood your question properly.
    04-04-11 11:09 PM
    elite1 - thanks for the shortcuts!
    04-05-11 01:44 PM
    Elite1, you answered my question perfectly. Thank you very much!

04-05-11 02:27 PM
    elite1 - thanks for the shortcuts!
    Elite1, you answered my question perfectly. Thank you very much!
    I was away for a bit in the spring and never saw these 2 replies. Not like either was asking anything though�

Anyway, you're welcome & you're welcome!
    08-13-11 05:10 PM

WITH Password Set, initiate Password-Lock by:
    • Clicking Password-Lock icon (icon is only visible if Password Enabled in Options app)
    • (OS5) Clicking K from Homescreen, if Homescreen Dialing is off
    • (OS6+) Clicking K from Homescreen, if Homescreen Preferences has Launch By Typing set to Application Shortcuts
    • Pressing ALT+ENTER from Homescreen
    • Letting your Backlight timeout and dim to black
    • If Lock Handheld Upon Holstering is set to Yes, placing into stock holster

WITH Password Set, Unlock BB by:
    • Entering your password!

Hi,

This is where I am struggling. I cannot find Launch by Typing anywhere on my Blackberry. Can someone help me, please?

Thanks!
    09-09-12 03:53 AM
    This is where I am struggling. I cannot find Launch by Typing anywhere on my Blackberry. Can someone help me, please?
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!
    As soon as you have the chance, please update your profile to include your device, carrier, and location. This makes it easier for others to assist you.

So don't know your device or OS, but so long as you're on OS6 or OS7 here's how�

From Home Screen (or App Screen, if using some 3rd party themes), click MENU, i.e. BB logo key left of trackpad.
    Scroll to Options (or just click O to jump staright to Options) and select it.

This takes you to page called Home Screen Preferences.

At top is drop-down menu for Lanuch By Typing, with 2 choices: Universal Search & Application Shortcuts. Select Application Shortcuts, click ESC (key right of trackpad), and Save Changes when prompted.

Did that do it? If not, please advise your model and current OS.
    You can find this by typing myver then SPACE key in any typing field on your BB. Or press ALT+SHIFT+H to open Help Me! screen: your OS is 3rd line where it says App Version.
    09-10-12 12:09 PM
117 ... 345