I think the top left button is a lot easier than * + SEND personally, but totally understand having habits that you don't really want to break�
    Plus I'm sure lots of people DON'T want it to be easier to unlock, to avoid doing so accidentally.
    It all comes down to preferences, but the new way is here to stay!
    If 351 is working for you, then hold out for OS6!

Oh btw I think the highest release OS without the new lock system was 442 if wanted to try that.
    Not sure if it was my imagination or not, but I thought I dropped more calls with 442. But you might want to give it a go! It should still be listed under Telus on the carrier page in BB's website. (If you can't find the link let me know and I'll be able to when my PC's in front of me.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-10 04:20 AM
    In all honesty running .743 somewhat annoyed me. I'm so used to using * and send to unlock my keypad so I downgraded to .351
    Hey how did ya downgraded to .351 can ya lemme know as i was told you cannot downgrade an OS in BB.

Awaiting reply ..

Thanks in Advance.
    07-08-10 07:49 AM
    Hey how did ya downgraded to .351 can ya lemme know as i was told you cannot downgrade an OS in BB.
    You can downgrade your OS just as easily as you can upgrade

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/
    07-08-10 07:54 AM
    I just upgraded my OS to .743 and I simply hate the way keypad locking works. Just do not understand why remove this feature
    07-08-10 09:16 AM
    Which way did you previously lock, out of curiosity?

07-08-10 11:21 AM
    I just upgraded my OS to .743 and I simply hate the way keypad locking works. Just do not understand why remove this feature
    I'm struggling with my new BlackBerry 9700 running T-Mobile 5.0.0.714. I've tried several permutations of the new locking regime (password vs. no password). Nothing has worked - I'm still either pocket-dialing, or pulling my phone out of my pocket to see that I'm on try number 3 of 10 for password attempts, or just this morning seeing that I'd locked myself out of the phone entirely for some period of time.

I've seen several veteran users and moderators here in the forum assure all complainers that removing the old standby feature is a good thing, that the new locking mechanism in the .500 version and up is an improvement. But I certainly never pocket-dialed anyone with my Pearl running its ancient OS.

All I want is a way to lock/standby my 9700, put in my pocket, have it remain there, screen dimmed, keyboard locked, until I take it out of my pocket. Then I want to enter a two-key combination (* and answer key used to work fine) to unlock the phone. Having a single press of the new top-left lock button on the 9700 simply makes it too easy to unlock it in the pocket.

I can downgrade if necessary. Is the last stable OS 5 with the old standby functionality .442? Again, I just want to keep the phone on standby, waiting for incoming calls or emails without lighting up or calling someone unbidden, when I put it into my pocket.

Thanks,

Tim
    Last edited by lastgasp; 07-10-10 at 03:32 PM.
    07-10-10 03:22 PM
    I can downgrade if necessary. Is the last stable OS 5 with the old standby functionality .442?
    In theory the newest OS with the old standby functionality is AT&T's .602

...however in reality .602 is NOT new so you're correct, it is .442

07-10-10 03:34 PM
    Phill, I wanted to ask you about something off-topic. I think you've blocked PMs and emails. Can you PM me please? (And then temporarily allow PMs and/or give me your email or PIN I guess.)
    Not an emergency, just at your convenience.

07-10-10 11:43 PM
    Phill, I wanted to ask you about something off-topic. I think you've blocked PMs and emails. Can you PM me please? (And then temporarily allow PMs and/or give me your email or PIN I guess.)
    Not an emergency, just at your convenience.

I'm unblocked for now... so PM away my friend

07-11-10 12:08 AM
    sorry, it was very confusing description and I don't get it at all. All i want is lock my bb as owner appear on homescreen u know what i mean. Like 4.6 OS in BB, sorry but I start to think that 5.0 OS sucks because I missed to lock my bb as owner appear I miss that a lot
    07-12-10 02:06 PM
    I agree it is confusing. That's why I made this thread, to try to help people figure it out at least a little better.

I'm not 100% sure I understand your post, but I think you're wanting to see Owner Info when locked without a password.
    If so, you're right that it does suck that feature's gone.
    I hope this comes back in future OS's.

If you lock with a Password, the Owner Info still does appear though.

Here's one little thing I've done:
    Go into Contacts, add a new Contact called: ***Owner Info***
    Put a couple phone numbers in (not your BB's # though!).
    With the *** at the start of it, it will be the first entry in your address book.

07-12-10 04:00 PM
    Is there a way to activate standby & the password lock with one button? Or perhaps an application that does this? I have an ipod touch & fwould very much like to keep the way my devices operate to be the same. With the ipod touch, pressing the top lock button locks the screen and initiates the password. How can I do this with the 9700?

Btw, the iPhone uses the same locking system for those who are not faimilar with the ipod touch locking.

07-18-10 11:22 PM
    Is there a way to activate standby & the password lock with one button? Or perhaps an application that does this?
    One-button-ish ways to launch Password Lock:
    1. Clicking the Password Lock icon.
    2. Clicking K from Home Screen or App Screen. (Home Screen must be Off)
    3. Assign it to a Convenience Key.
    4. Buy QuickLaunch, assign it to a Convenience Key, assign Password Lock a shortcut or Conv Key multi-click. (ie QL is Left Conv Key and you could Password Lock by double-clicking Left Conv Key.)
    5. Two-buttons: Press ALT+ENTER from Home Screen or App Screen.

I think most if not all of these were in the 1st post�

Choose which one you like, and it'll be a habit within days.

07-19-10 04:08 AM
    So is there literally no way to disable the top right music key? or the lock key as well?

If no then i'm pretty much returning this phone (just bought it) and rebuilding my 9000.
    07-21-10 10:45 AM
    Just making sure I understand your question, can you please say what you do and/or don't like about the top keys?

The right button is Mute. It mutes phone calls and I believe it mutes/pauses music, but I actually don't listen to music on my BB.
    Are you worried about pressing it accidentally while listening to music with your phone in your pocket?

07-21-10 10:50 AM
    Just making sure I understand your question, can you please say what you do and/or don't like about the top keys?

The right button is Mute. It mutes phone calls and I believe it mutes/pauses music, but I actually don't listen to music on my BB.
    Are you worried about pressing it accidentally while listening to music with your phone in your pocket?

the button on the top left locks the phone, so I lock it and put it in my pocket. Once in my pocket its quite easy to accidentally tap the top right button which mutes calls yes, but it also stops/resumes music.

This is silly because the phone is locked, so it shouldn't be allowed to do anything. The only way to stop this is to completely close my music player every time I put it in my pocket so there is no music to resume.
    07-21-10 10:57 AM
    Right from when I first got my 9700, I thought the biggest design flaw was the raised beveled edges of the top buttons. You're right that they're too easy to press. On the other new phones with the same setup (96XX, 8900, 95XX) it's almost the opposite: they're too hard to push. (I came from the Tour.) I can say you absolutely get used to it. I haven't accidentally pushed it since the 1st month last Nov.

One minor thing to try: put it facing the other way in your pocket and see if it helps.

Most of the soft-feel hard cases like Seidio Innocase 2, Incipio Silicrylic (sp?), and Case-Mate Smooth help by adding an important extra mm from the edge of the button.

There are non-holster pouches from RIM that still have the "sleeper magnet" but I'm sure that will increase your pocket bulk.

However long you have to return it, give it that full time to see if you get used to it. I think the advantages outweigh that design flaw personally.

07-21-10 11:50 AM
    Right from when I first got my 9700, I thought the biggest design flaw was the raised beveled edges of the top buttons. You're right that they're too easy to press. On the other new phones with the same setup (96XX, 8900, 95XX) it's almost the opposite: they're too hard to push. (I came from the Tour.) I can say you absolutely get used to it. I haven't accidentally pushed it since the 1st month last Nov.

One minor thing to try: put it facing the other way in your pocket and see if it helps.

Most of the soft-feel hard cases like Seidio Innocase 2, Incipio Silicrylic (sp?), and Case-Mate Smooth help by adding an important extra mm from the edge of the button.

There are non-holster pouches from RIM that still have the "sleeper magnet" but I'm sure that will increase your pocket bulk.

However long you have to return it, give it that full time to see if you get used to it. I think the advantages outweigh that design flaw personally.

Not to get off topic but I miss my trackball, the sensor is not as accurate for me nor gives me the proper feedback on my finger. Good advice however we'll see.. I still have my bold just need to fix it so worst case scenario I sell this and rebuild old faithful.
    07-21-10 11:53 AM
    Is there a auto lock feature? Like after 5 minutes without touching anything the phone lock itselfs

Sometimes I don't remember to lock and put the phone in my pocket and it does some unwanted calls lol

07-21-10 12:02 PM
    Not to get off topic but I miss my trackball, the sensor is not as accurate for me nor gives me the proper feedback on my finger. Good advice however we'll see.. I still have my bold just need to fix it so worst case scenario I sell this and rebuild old faithful.
    I've had the older & newer trackballs between the 8330 and Tour, and I 100% like the trackpad better. You're right about about the thumb "feedback" though. Coming from the wider 9000, I bet you'll catch yourself rubbing MENU or ESC the odd time instead of the t'pad.
    Try adjusting the sensitivity. I think it comes at 70-70. I changed to 60-60 and enjoy it much better.

07-21-10 12:25 PM
    Is there a auto lock feature? Like after 5 minutes without touching anything the phone lock itselfs

Sometimes I don't remember to lock and put the phone in my pocket and it does some unwanted calls lol
    There is, but only with Password Lock.

Otherwise there are numerous 3rd party apps, but I'm not familiar enough to recommend one. Make sure you read reviews and description carefully for any app to ensure it locks with the newer OS's.

07-21-10 12:27 PM
    hi, i downloaded this os v.4.0.0.862, bundle 1446,platform 5.1.0.175. now after installing this software, i noticed my my keypad lock button, on the top of the screen on the left....it doesnt work anymore, when i press it, the screen goes black, and also the other button next to it, stand by i think, when i press that,nothing happens.. is it supposed to be like that?
    08-12-10 03:49 AM
    hi, i downloaded this os v.4.0.0.862, bundle 1446,platform 5.1.0.175. now after installing this software, i noticed my my keypad lock button, on the top of the screen on the left....it doesnt work anymore, when i press it, the screen goes black, and also the other button next to it, stand by i think, when i press that,nothing happens.. is it supposed to be like that?
    You found the correct thread... now read it

Elite1 likes this.
    08-12-10 04:05 AM
    Looks like enough people have complained about this that RIM is considering putting it back...

KB22740-Lock no longer prompts for the BlackBerry smartphone password

Note the RESOLUTION section....
    "This issue has been escalated to either have this process reversed or have a new IT policy in the BlackBerry Administration Service to force the password prompt when the Lock key is pressed."
    08-19-10 08:27 AM
    Looks like enough people have complained about this that RIM is considering putting it back...

KB22740-Lock no longer prompts for the BlackBerry smartphone password

Note the RESOLUTION section....
    "This issue has been escalated to either have this process reversed or have a new IT policy in the BlackBerry Administration Service to force the password prompt when the Lock key is pressed."
    This sounds good

Looks like the mute/standby key will be reinstated if rim actually makes this the next update. I am pleased.

08-19-10 09:02 AM
117 ... 2345