Yes, absolutely right. With all builds, new or old, the keyboard is locked in any holster with a "sleeper magnet," such all the RIM belt-clip holsters and the Seidio spring-lock holsters.
    It is irrelevant whether or not the device was Locked, Password Locked, or in Standby---if it's holstered the keyboard is 100% locked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by elite1; 05-11-10 at 03:33 AM.
    05-11-10 03:30 AM
    I just tried this lock thing on my fiance' 8900 with a 5.0 OS and all i had to do on hers is hold the A key for like two seconds and it went into standby.
    05-13-10 01:45 PM
    Are you sure it was standby and not just lock?

@elite1 - the k button does make the phone lock in .656 with or without dial from screen.
    05-13-10 01:51 PM
    @elite1 -

Very informative to answer lock/unlock questions for all. Thanks for posting.
    05-13-10 04:14 PM
    so there still isn't a fix for making the top right lock button a Password Lock button??
    I just updated my 9700 yesterday and I'm stuck with this problem, hope its fixed soon or for the next update.
    05-14-10 03:37 PM
    No, there is no right lock button. The right button you are referring to is a mute button. Hence the little mute icon on top of it. And if you look at the left one, its a lock icon.
    05-14-10 03:48 PM
    Yuo. V#5.0.0.656 still without lock on mute key. At least on my Bold. RJL

05-14-10 03:52 PM
    Its never coming back, so don't get your hopes up lol.
    05-14-10 03:55 PM
    Pi Guy. You proposed to sell your belt holster for the BB 9700. Could you send me (RJL24 at columbia dot edu) a picture actually a few pictures of your best holster? Front and back. Is it new? Does it have a clip on the back or a hole to pass the belt through? Is it a horizontal or vertical holster? I prefer horizontal.

05-14-10 04:20 PM
    @elite1 - the k button does make the phone lock in .656 with or without dial from screen.
    Hi Pi Guy, finally just installed 656 last night.
    I just checked and the K shortcut DID work for me.

K is a shortcut for Password Lock.
    For it to work you must click K from the Home Screen with (a) Home Screen Dialing switched Off and (b) your Password set & Enabled from the Password section in the Options app.

Without Password Enabled, there is no K shortcut.

05-14-10 05:24 PM
    so there still isn't a fix for making the top right lock button a Password Lock button??
    I just updated my 9700 yesterday and I'm stuck with this problem, hope its fixed soon or for the next update.
    Yuo. V#5.0.0.656 still without lock on mute key. At least on my Bold. RJL
    There won't be a "fix" as it's not broken: it is exactly as RIM intends it to be.
    Top Right Button is and was Mute. It used to also be Standby.
    This Standby function was removed in all OS's from around version number 500 and up.

According to RIM, this is considered a permanent change. Although I hope someone has the sense to replace the Owner info on the Lock Screen instead of only on the Password Lock Screen.

I know many of us (including yours truly) had habits built around the previous top button functionality; but if you think about it, it really doesn't make sense to have 2 separate Lock-type buttons.

05-14-10 05:39 PM
    I just tried this lock thing on my fiance' 8900 with a 5.0 OS and all i had to do on hers is hold the A key for like two seconds and it went into standby.
    Hi blktalon, there is a similar thread in the 8900 Forum.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/ho...900-os-451741/
    Other 8900 users will be better equipped to answer your questions.

Drop a post there so that thread stays active!

I can tell you that not every 5.0 OS is the same. This new Lock functionality started around OS #500 and up for most devices, but the first few OS's with it were missing the K and/or hold-A shortcuts.
    Again, check the 8900 Forum for better advice.

Last edited by elite1; 05-16-10 at 06:21 PM.
    05-14-10 05:46 PM
    BUMPING this thread for all the late-comers who upgraded their T-Mo phones today, in anticipation of the wave of people going OMGMYSTANDBYDOESNTWORK
    05-19-10 08:53 PM
    Thanks, dLo.

I think I'll go bump up my threads in the 8900 Forum (new OS out last week) and add it to the new 9650 Forum.
    05-19-10 09:18 PM
    Hello everyone,
    I am running 5.0.0.656 and having some weird unlock issues. Although I *think* it started happening on the update before this one but can not remeber for sure.

When I lock the phone (press the top left button) it blacks out pretty quickly and if you press any buttons it lights back up for a few seconds with a box in the middle saying that keypad is locked press the lock button to unlock....so all is well, right. Well when I miss a call while locked it wil light back up and have the box showing either missed call or new message but it is still locked so you can't press ok or cancel or save or whatever until I press the top left button again to unlock it. All still seems well, working as it should BUT after I unlock it and press save or whatever the browser opens. Sometimes the browser and google maps opens. Why are these app opening when I miss a call? I thought maybe because the highlighted icon was browser or maps when I locked it but I have made sure to place the curser on phone book or some other icon before locking it and it still does it. Weird.

Thanks,
    Chad
    06-01-10 10:25 AM
    Very informative thread!

Anyone tried "AutoLock custom edition"?

AutoLock Custom Edition - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps

Unfortunately,there is no 'Free Trial' !
    06-02-10 01:46 PM
    WTF I hate this. If I didnt read this tonight, I would be pulling my hair out not knowing WTF. Rim doesnt have a god danm "fix list" in their "updates" to the OS.

This is one thing which truly bothers me about RIM, they dont tell you what the **** they changed in their OS.
    06-15-10 12:13 AM
    Well glad I saved at least a few of your follicles, shack!

06-16-10 02:54 AM
    going back to roger's 5.0.0.351 the new password lock is so complicated...when u click top left and theres a password enabled...just let us lock the phone, not pless alt-enter instead...horrible update...and those who said better battery..big deal...i'll just give my phone a charge whenever necessary!
    06-20-10 02:32 PM
    So is there anyway the top left button can be made to password lock? Or have I missed it? I wish it was like it used to be!

06-28-10 04:47 AM
    Can I set one of the convinience keys to lock with password? In 586

06-28-10 09:29 AM
    So is there anyway the top left button can be made to password lock? Or have I missed it? I wish it was like it used to be!
    No you haven't missed it�

Yeah I think this is one of the 2 major flaws with the new system, that with a Password enabled using the tope left button or holstering doesn't initiate Password Lock.

You can still do it with a single button by clicking your K button if you have Home Screen Dialing Off.

(The other major flaw is that non-Password Lock doesn't show Owner Info on screen anymore.)

06-28-10 11:41 AM
    Can I set one of the convinience keys to lock with password? In 586
    Yes you should be able to. With Password enabled, the item should appear in the app list for Convenience Keys under the Screen/Keyboard menu in Options app.

I can't remember if it's called Password Lock or Keyboard Lock for sure, but I think it's Password Lock.

06-28-10 11:47 AM
    Thank you. as long as that functions its fine for me
    06-28-10 07:58 PM
    In all honesty running .743 somewhat annoyed me. I'm so used to using * and send to unlock my keypad so I downgraded to .351
    07-07-10 10:34 PM
117 12345