^ I also agree. That is why I reverted back to .351.

I lock and standby in order to avoid pocket dialing.
    04-13-10 01:35 PM
    3 more issues that does not make sense. all used to work.
    ALT+SHIFT+DEL doesn't work for me either. I haven't tried on 593, but it's been awhile since it did.
    The "power" button (holding down END) is relatively useless anyway. It doesn't actually refresh your device to restart it that way.

Anyway, there's only been one time where I had weird issues like some yours, including the exact same issue with holding ALT. That was after I got a bit of water in it.

Have you gotten any water in it? If so, I can let you know how to fix it. If not, call your sales rep.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-10 09:39 PM
    With all of the changes to the Lock / Unlock / Password Lock / Standby functions, here's an explanation of what's up with how to lock your BB now.
    (I posted this in the 593 Leak thread, but thought it might be helpful to post here too.)

� Top Right Button does NOT put BB into Standby
    � Top Right Button is now only Mute for Phone and media players
    � Pressing * + SEND no longer does anything
    � User info only appears on screen if Password Locked (booo, RIM!)

WITHOUT a Password set, Lock your BB by:
    � Holding down A from Homescreen
    � Clicking Top Left Button from any screen
    � Placing BB in stock holster with magnet
    WITHOUT a Password set, Unlock your BB by:
    � Clicking Top Left Button
    � Removing from stock holster

WITH a Password Set, initiate Password Lock by:
    � Clicking Password Lock icon (icon is only visible if Password Enabled in Options app)
    � If Homescreen Dialing is off, clicking K from Homescreen
    � Pressing ALT + ENTER from Homescreen
    � Letting your Backlight Timeout and dim to black
    � If you have set Lock Handheld Upon Holstering to Yes, placing into stock holster
    WITH a Password Set, Unlock your BB by:
    � Entering your password!

WITH a Password Set, initiate a NON-Password Lock by:
    � Clicking Top Left Button from any screen
    � Holding down A from Homescreen
    � If you have set Lock Handheld Upon Holstering to No, placing into stock holster
    WITH a Password set, Unlock your BB from NON-Password Lock by:
    � Clicking Top Left Button
    � Removing from stock holster, if you have set Lock Handheld Upon Holstering to No

If I've made an error or omitted anything, I'll edit this post. So let me know!
    There may also be some minor exceptions/variations between some of the newer builds, so let me know and I can get more specific.

Oh wow! I've got confused right after the first chapter. Just joking. Good job!
    04-13-10 10:16 PM
    OMG has anyone tried to see what happens if you answer password wrong 10/10, it told me final try, if wrong password data will be eraser. How serious is that message.
    04-13-10 10:45 PM
    ALT+SHIFT+DEL doesn't work for me either. I haven't tried on 593, but it's been awhile since it did.
    The "power" button (holding down END) is relatively useless anyway. It doesn't actually refresh your device to restart it that way.

Anyway, there's only been one time where I had weird issues like some yours, including the exact same issue with holding ALT. That was after I got a bit of water in it.

Have you gotten any water in it? If so, I can let you know how to fix it. If not, call your sales rep.

Water? Not that i am aware of. Anyway Let me know what I can do presuming I had water. thanks.
    04-14-10 06:50 AM
    very bad thing... you can't password lock your BB with a button, you have to click BB and then find the password lock icon.. wasting time !

try to set a quick launch function

You have to add a special case... I'm using the dial from hom screen so all the shortcut are not workign for me

Hope this will be corrected shortly

EDIT : With Qlaunch you can set a Password Lock Device to a key (after pressing the shortcut for Qlaunch) and it ask for the password so for me i'm pressing the left key then L
    Last edited by computman; 04-14-10 at 08:56 AM.
    04-14-10 08:50 AM
    I am using the BB 9700 with OS 5.0.0.586.

I am also using the Today-9700 theme by Hatax
    Today Plus Theme - 9700 Clean, stock look - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community
    (but the same problem seems to exist with the default theme too).

When I hold "A" or press the top-left Lock button I can lock the device, and Top-Left unlocks it. But it does not password-lock the device. Pressing "K" does nothing for me (I have dial from home screen disabled). I can not figure out how to password-lock the device except for waiting for the time-out or using the "Password Lock" icon from the menu.

Is anyone else having difficulty funding a shortcut to easily password-lock (and not simply to lock) the device?

Thanks.
    04-16-10 05:48 AM
    very bad thing... you can't password lock your BB with a button, you have to click BB and then find the password lock icon.. wasting time !

try to set a quick launch function

You have to add a special case... I'm using the dial from hom screen so all the shortcut are not workign for me

Hope this will be corrected shortly

EDIT : With Qlaunch you can set a Password Lock Device to a key (after pressing the shortcut for Qlaunch) and it ask for the password so for me i'm pressing the left key then L

read this
    https://docs.google.com/present/edit...ajJoeGc3&hl=en

04-16-10 07:55 AM
    Whoa, definitely not mobile-friendly, MJN. Oh well, I'll check it out on PC later.

04-16-10 10:31 AM

Today Plus Theme - 9700 Clean, stock look - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

When I hold "A" or press the top-left Lock button I can lock the device, and Top-Left unlocks it. But it does not password-lock the device. Pressing "K" does nothing for me (I have dial from home screen disabled). I can not figure out how to password-lock the device except for waiting for the time-out or using the "Password Lock" icon from the menu.

Is anyone else having difficulty funding a shortcut to easily password-lock (and not simply to lock) the device?

Thanks.
    The theme is irrelevant, unless it had some built-in keyboard shortcuts that conflicted.

There have been some .500 builds where either hold-A or press-K didn't work, if I recall. I can tell you they work on 593. (I went 545 to 593, and skipped 566 & 586, personally.)

Did you miss the ALT+ENTER suggestion? That one should work on all builds.

04-16-10 10:35 AM
    the new batt life is much improved. i'm a fairly heavy user, my daughter is the typical teen heavy use. i think the new batts are great on life. i'll check with her and ask her.

my gut is that the designers and/or programmers felt that screen illumination is the big drain. this is why, no matter what phone i get, i ALWAYS set my screen illumination to the minimum setting.

therefore - and since it's solid state - when the screen times/blacks out the brick is in default sb mode.
    04-16-10 11:25 AM
    Whoa, definitely not mobile-friendly, MJN. Oh well, I'll check it out on PC later.

sorry, i should of added that, it's a Google Doc Power Point... yea it's not mobile friendly.

04-16-10 11:37 AM
    Just wondering something...The main reason I want to lock (or place on standby) my 9700 is because I do use a magnetized holster and I don't want to accidentally dial someone (I have all the speed dial keys programmed and set to dial from home screen) while it is in the holster. After I place the phone in standby mode and then holster it, it is unlocked when I take it out of the holster. Dumb question, but is the device actually in standby mode when it is actually IN the holster and before I take it out? Sorry if this has been asked before.
    04-21-10 03:20 PM
    With dial from home screen off, pressing the letter "k" will password lock the phone. You can further lock out the keypad by pressing the top-left lock button. You have to press the top-left lock button to unlock the keypad before you can enter the password to unlock the phone. I consider this as "additional protection". Not the best, but can live with it.

I still prefer the top-left lock key to "password lock".

Works on .593.
    Last edited by wing2299; 04-22-10 at 04:31 PM. Reason: additional info
    04-21-10 04:22 PM
    Thanks. I'll use that info.
    04-22-10 03:33 PM
    Holding the *A key will also lock your phone...

And I dont understand what the all the problems you guys are having... on the stock OS my lock button worked fine, and it still does on .593. There is almost zero possibility of someone pressing the 'hard to press' lock button on accident, since it requires a little bit of force to activate it.
    04-22-10 03:59 PM
    Holding the *A key will also lock your phone...

And I dont understand what the all the problems you guys are having... on the stock OS my lock button worked fine, and it still does on .593. There is almost zero possibility of someone pressing the 'hard to press' lock button on accident, since it requires a little bit of force to activate it.
    I guess my issue is just with the holster. I have no problem with how to activate the locking (or standby) method. It is just annoying when I place the phone in standby mode and then place it in my holster, it is back to unlocked when I take it out again. I want it to stay locked until I push the standby button again. It's not really a big issue, just was curious why it won't stay locked. I'm worried that it unlocks itself when I place the device in the holster, leaving the phone prone to accidental dialing while in the holster.

Thanks for the comments.
    04-22-10 04:16 PM
    Great post,thank you very much!
    04-27-10 06:52 AM
    I confirm that with .442 the traditional lock/standby still functions. Just a long press on the top right to put it to sleep.
    04-28-10 01:20 AM
    Seems to ME that unless you holster your phone, there IS no more standby, which would explain the batt time having suffered with some of these +500 OSs.

04-28-10 04:54 AM
    We should make this a Sticky Thread at the top of the forum for as many questions as we've been having on this subject!!!!
    04-28-10 07:00 AM
    Just wondering something...The main reason I want to lock (or place on standby) my 9700 is because I do use a magnetized holster and I don't want to accidentally dial someone (I have all the speed dial keys programmed and set to dial from home screen) while it is in the holster. After I place the phone in standby mode and then holster it, it is unlocked when I take it out of the holster. Dumb question, but is the device actually in standby mode when it is actually IN the holster and before I take it out? Sorry if this has been asked before.
    Hi Looney, just so you know, your device is fully locked while in the magnetized holster. You canNOT dial while holstered.

As far as I can tell, there is no point in locking your device before holstering. Holstering it does the same thing that the locking already did.
    04-29-10 02:50 PM

Does ALT+ENTER not work for you?

There were some builds where the K shortcut didn't work. It definitely works in 593. I skipped 586, so I couldn't tell you with certainty.

If you have QuickLaunch, you can set Password Lock there too.
    04-29-10 02:55 PM
    I'd like to add some info here (even if this thread is already rich)

Before the newer OS (.500+) when the phone was on the charging dock and set to display the clock on charge, pressing the lock button would jump from "clock mode" to "normal mode" (after hitting return when the FIRST clock was displayed). To shut down the screen, you needed to hit return for the first clock displayed and then wait for the screen to dim off, or you had to press the standbye button for 1 sec.

For the newer OS, lock button now shut the screen off immediately (which is really useful)
    05-05-10 10:18 AM
    OS 5.0.0.586: (994) Put BB into holster and you go into standby. Remove BB and my BB 9700 comes out of standby. Unsure if the keys stay locked in holster, just tried it and it seems to stay in a form of locked position not allowing keyboard to be used while in the holster.
    05-08-10 06:04 PM
117 1234 ...