UPDATE: 16Nov08 I have no idea what happened to the original links here, as I did not host them. Everything you need to install Plazmic 4.6 should be available here: Plazmic or HERE. The install process is the same. I installed 4.6 over 4.5 and it worked fine without changing anything else.

Big props goes out to those that helped compile this information, but especially to orangetx for hosting the required files on his site.

So, you want to build a theme, eh? Tried to download the Plazmic Theme Creator but found yourself baffled by the install instructions? Well look no further! The following instructions spell out the process and even give links to download the proper versions of the required files. Follow these instructions and you'll be cranking out themes in no time! The files must be installed in order for the Plazmic install to work.

Let's begin. The download links contain several versions of the software. You only need to install the EXACT version called for by the Installer, which in some cases is not the most current version. Install the ones listed here and you will be fine. These files are labeled in red.

1. jdk-1_5_0_15-nb-6_1-windows.exe
    Download the jdk from here
    This file is 90.6mb and contains the following:
    jdk-1_5_0_15-nb-6_1-windows
    GenuineCheck
    GenuineCheck-1

2. BlackBerry_JDE_4.2.0.exe
    Download the JDE from here
    This file is 80.3mb.

3. BlackBerry_Email_MDS_4.1.0-4.exe
    Download the Email MDS from here
    This file is 79.8mb and contains:
    BlackBerry_Email_MDS_4.1.0-4
    BlackBerry_Email_MDS_4.1.4

4a. Plazmic_CDK_v4_2_2.exe for OS 4.2+
    Download the Plazmic Installer 4.2 from here
    This file is 122mb and contains:
    Plazmic_CDK_v4_1
    Plazmic_CDK_v4_2_2

or

4b. Plazmic CDK v4.5 for OS 4.5+
    Download the new Plazmic Theme Builder 4.5 here!

Themes built using CDK 4.2 will work on all OS's from OS 4.2 up. Themes built using CDK 4.5 will not work on OS's prior to OS 4.5 unless you follow the instructions below.

Again, thank you to everyone that contributed and hopefully this will help many aspiring theme builders get their feet on the ground. As always, any issues/problems with this guide, please point them out so that we can get them corrected ASAP. All information and links taken from this original thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f16/str...27/index2.html

Thanks to StevenInSTL, here is Modify Plazmic ThemeBuilder 4.5 to Export Custom Themes in OS 4.2.2

you need to edit some files..but its REAL easy. Do it at your OWN RISK….

1) make sure Themebuilder is CLOSED

2) locate the Plazmic CDK 4.5 directory in Program files.

3) go to the directory RESOURCES

4) select the file THEMES

5) look for 2 folders. 1 is dimension240�260, the other dimension 320�240.

6) within the dimension 240�260 there is a file called 8100Custom. Open with Wordpad or Notepad.

7) Edit the following lines to look like this:
    The files are located in the Resource/Theme directories, then the 240�260 directory (will have the 8100 files) the 320�240 (will have the 8300, 8800 files) I’d suggest not changing the 7100 or 8700 (is there an os 4.5 for 8700?) files:

these are the lines you edit:

theme.supportedHandheldOs = 4.2.2,4.5
    theme.preferredHandheldOs = 4.5
    theme.importOs = 4.2.2,4.3.1

Go to the dimension320�240 file and do the same for the 8300Custom, 8800Custom.

I don’t think you will find it necessary to edit the 7100 or the 8700 (are the 8700’s going to be using OS 4.5?)

ENJOY!

(ps..I'd suggest making a backup of these files in case you messed them up)

Original thread containing this info is HERE.
    Last edited by Kronk; 11-16-08 at 01:05 PM. Reason: added link 4.6
    07-15-08 06:27 AM
    This guide works perfect. Nice compilation Kronk, and a huge thanks for orangetx and rvpals for their input on the matter!

STICKY!
    Last edited by shooptek; 04-24-09 at 12:12 PM.
    07-15-08 07:33 AM
    Great little guide, nice to have it in an orderly form!!

This is the original post : http://forums.crackberry.com/f16/str...plazmic-50327/ (and I see you put in in your OP as well)

Great job getting this info together in an organized form and making step-by-step instructions!

*Subscribed, rated*
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 07-15-08 at 07:40 AM.
    07-15-08 07:35 AM
    Yeah, I figured it would be nice to have it in the first post of a thread, and I requested sticky status from the mods.
    07-15-08 08:03 AM
    Yeah, I figured it would be nice to have it in the first post of a thread, and I requested sticky status from the mods.
    Good thinking... and if this is not made into a Sticky, then I do not know what else would be more deserving!

*EDIT* : It should at least be moved into the HowTo section!
    07-15-08 08:05 AM
    *EDIT* : It should at least be moved into the HowTo section!
    I thought about that, then I figured more people who were looking for it would find it here. We'll let the mods decide that.
    07-15-08 08:15 AM
    Stuck...although 4.3 installs everything you need through the installer..but not everyone HAS 4.3
    07-15-08 01:58 PM
    This is a great little guide. I have always wanted to try to build my own and this is working well.
    07-15-08 02:19 PM
    Bla1ze... you tempt me!! I wish 4.3 was out for the general public!

Can you tell me... does 4.3 allow you to import themes you already have and edit them? I want to customize the TMobile Zen theme but have no way to currently do so... :roleyes:
    07-15-08 02:20 PM
    First off, Thanks for the awesome post!
    Maybe a stupid one but here goes. With several posts mentioning installing these files in order, Do you install Plazmic first then install the files that it calls for or do you install these just as they are numbered here? I just want to make sure Im doin it right.
    07-15-08 04:14 PM
    Maybe a stupid one but here goes. With several posts mentioning installing these files in order, Do you install Plazmic first then install the files that it calls for or do you install these just as they are numbered here? I just want to make sure Im doin it right.
    Install them in the order numbered above. Otherwise you will have issues while installing Plazmic.
    Last edited by shooptek; 04-24-09 at 12:12 PM.
    07-15-08 04:42 PM
    Install them in the order numbered above. Otherwise you will have issues while installing Plazmic.
    Thank You!
    07-15-08 05:02 PM
    For the easiest installation, do them in order. If you do them out of order it will still work, but it will have you searching your computer for the required files. If you install them in order it finds them for you.
    07-16-08 06:20 AM
    Stuck...although 4.3 installs everything you need through the installer..but not everyone HAS 4.3
    Yeah yeah, rub it in... lol

Thanks for the sticky.
    07-16-08 06:21 AM
    Kronk, thanks for the information. Installed without a hitch.
    07-16-08 09:11 AM
    I downloaded and installed everything fine and was able to pull up the software were I picked a Curve, b/c that is what I have, but OMG my head is spinning and please teacher may I be excused my brain is FULL. I was playing with this for an hour and swear the name of my first theme should be "WTF" It is horrible, I would even trust putting this "WTF" even on my phone, and I am the one that created it. Download instructions are great, but instructions oh how to would be better. Every time I clicked on something it would bring up a windows box and was clueless where to look. I am going to bed now, me and bottle of Jack. I give total props to all theme builders, now I know how hard you work and what you do is amazing. Ciao
    07-16-08 10:03 PM

See my problem!? How do I fix this? It is supposed to be a Today theme. Running T-mobile 8100 with 4.5.0.52 OS and wouldn't change anything! Except the 8100 when I switch over to Verizon 8330 here in a few weeks.
    07-17-08 12:33 AM
    Is that taken from inside the Plazmic builder? Did you try to load a theme that belongs to a different model phone?
    Last edited by Kronk; 07-17-08 at 01:10 AM. Reason: I can see it now.
    07-17-08 12:59 AM
    I downloaded and installed everything fine and was able to pull up the software were I picked a Curve, b/c that is what I have, but OMG my head is spinning and please teacher may I be excused my brain is FULL. I was playing with this for an hour and swear the name of my first theme should be "WTF" It is horrible, I would even trust putting this "WTF" even on my phone, and I am the one that created it. Download instructions are great, but instructions oh how to would be better. Every time I clicked on something it would bring up a windows box and was clueless where to look. I am going to bed now, me and bottle of Jack. I give total props to all theme builders, now I know how hard you work and what you do is amazing. Ciao
    lol, it's best to go in with idea of what you want it to look like. And to also have all of your source material (BG pics, icons, fonts) where you know where it is.
    07-17-08 01:01 AM
    See my post above.
    07-17-08 01:11 AM
    the only thing I can think of is it isn't working on the 4.5.0.52 OS...and yes I made the theme for the pearl 81xx and inside plazmic theme builder it looks fine, but on the phone it looks not so good
    07-17-08 01:13 AM
    lol, it's best to go in with idea of what you want it to look like. And to also have all of your source material (BG pics, icons, fonts) where you know where it is.
    BG pics is not an issue but how about the icons. do they have to be a certain size or does the software automatically re-size it? Also is there a general website that these can be located. If I am breaking any sort of forum rule for asking please forgive. I am also sure once I get the first one done, it will be easy from there.

******* i just wanted to give a quick update, while messing around with the software i noticed they had example themes at least 5 of theme to view. This is great because It help me out wonderfully to try to put something together. Unfortunately I am at work and can't dive right in. I have an idea of doing a WORLD CUP theme for the 2010 games and was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping to test it, since it is my first theme. Thanks again********
    Last edited by rpalumbo; 07-17-08 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Update
    07-17-08 06:48 AM
    If you dig around a little more you will find a few folders with different sets of icons in them that you can use in any theme. You can also try Google for icons, and if you have any graphics skills make your own in Photoshop.
    07-18-08 01:32 AM
    OMG....I was just lookin for this info cuz I wanted to try and build my own theme!!!! Thank You so much!!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-08 10:32 AM
    I have found some great pictures and of course I want to make them into icons for my first theme. EPL. I am using this software called gimp well because it is free. I follower the directions to a T from the blackberry site and some other sites that show how to make them transparent and what not. I then save the icon in a png format, try to add it with theme builder and what happens, IT LOOK LIKE $HIT!!! OMG I AM FRUSTRATED. I know I can do this but what am I doing wrong. I am referring back to the samples the give and some icons call for 48X36 and some other sites call for 30X30. I have tried everything but nothing seems to make my icons clear and smooth looking. I know that it can't be this hard. Any advise would be gratefully appreciated. Is it because of the pictures being in gif mode? Thanks!!
    07-18-08 05:18 PM
194 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD