is there a way to install Blackberry Messenger 5.0 without a data plan?

I have an unlimited email plan and would have to pay outrageous data charges to download through BB App World.
    10-08-09 08:37 AM
    I don't think you can even use bbm if you aren't running a data plan.
    10-08-09 08:40 AM
    are you familiar with using Blackberry Swiss Army Knife ?

If so, you could download just the .cod files for BBM5 and install it that way.
    10-08-09 08:41 AM
    BBM required data plan, unless you have wifi.
    10-08-09 08:43 AM
    BBM requires a data plan. Wirthout this you are wasting time and storage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-09 08:45 AM
    What's the point of getting the bbm 5.0 if you don't have a data plan??

10-08-09 08:55 AM

lol wow dude, jus dont download it if u dont have a data plan
    10-08-09 09:13 AM
    http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...&category=data

BlackBerry Data Plans

Personal Email on BlackBerry ...

Unlimited Email and IM ...
    Rogers minimum BlackBerry Plan does allow unlimited BlackBerry Messenger use.

Once the OP solves the problem of installing it without a data plan, it should work correctly.

The simplest work around would be to copy the files from another BlackBerry that does have data access. The files can then be installed on the target machine using a suitable utility program.

BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife or CrackUtil, used on a Windows computer, are both able to do the install.
    10-08-09 09:49 AM
    My wife was on that plan until today...

Anyway, I have an idea. Do you know anyone local to you with a full BlackBerry data plan? If yes, then borrow their SIM. Pop it in your 'Berry, which will give you access to their data plan. Download BBM, then give them back their SIM.

If you don't know anyone who can help, are you local to the GTA?
    10-08-09 11:53 AM

Actually I DON'T have a data plan and I CAN use BBM. That's an option for Rogers users to just have an E-mail and IM plan.
    10-08-09 07:32 PM
    anyone figure it out?
    10-08-09 07:55 PM
    have you tried going to blackberry.com/messenger ?
    10-08-09 08:03 PM
    BlackBerry Messenger
    Downloads via a USB connection are not enabled for this product. Please visit our mobile download site at using the browser on your BlackBerry� smartphone.
    10-08-09 08:28 PM
    My sister is on that same lame $15 rogers plan. I figured it out for her, I sent her the ota link on bbm.

http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/dev...ry.do?code=bbm

Since it's being used from BBM, it works. Kinda like opening attachments from emails.
    10-08-09 08:48 PM
    My sister is on that same lame $15 rogers plan. I figured it out for her, I sent her the ota link on bbm.

Since it's being used from BBM, it works. Kinda like opening attachments from emails.
    didnt work
    10-08-09 10:10 PM
    yeah im having the same problem.... i have a data lan its just basic . it doesnt allow acces to the browser or the appstore since its stricly bbm and email.
    10-08-09 10:28 PM
    please help
    10-08-09 10:56 PM

I assume your sister has WiFi. The 8330 does not. OTA won't work.
    10-08-09 11:03 PM
    LAST TIME
    IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. BBM CAN ONLY BE INSTALLED OTA. YOU NEED A DATA PLAN OR WiFi

I offered a solution already. You need to borrow someone's SIM card. If you're local to the GTA I can help.
    10-08-09 11:07 PM
    Anyway, I have an idea. Do you know anyone local to you with a full BlackBerry data plan? If yes, then borrow their SIM. Pop it in your 'Berry, which will give you access to their data plan. Download BBM, then give them back their SIM.
    Anyone who wants detailed instructions, let me know.

If anyone is in the GTA and needs to borrow a SIM, I can help. PM me.
    10-08-09 11:16 PM
    you cant even use BBM5 without a data plan.

i installed it to my backup phone with no data plan over wifi though. just direct the native browser (set on hotspot) to www.blackberry.com/send/messenger and proceed with the download.
    10-08-09 11:26 PM
    you cant even use BBM5 without a data plan.

i installed it to my backup phone with no data plan over wifi though. just direct the native browser (set on hotspot) to www.blackberry.com/send/messenger and proceed with the download.
    You gotta try reading the whole thread

Some carriers, like Rogers here in Canada offer e-mail and IM only plans.
    Unlimited IM (BBM, Yahoo, Google, MSN, whatever), and unlimited e-mail, but NO BROWSING.

I recommend only having e-mail/IM plans on WiFi enabled phones (my wife had it on her 8220), but that's not helpful right now...
    10-08-09 11:46 PM
    You gotta try reading the whole thread

Some carriers, like Rogers here in Canada offer e-mail and IM only plans.
    Unlimited IM (BBM, Yahoo, Google, MSN, whatever), and unlimited e-mail, but NO BROWSING.

I recommend only having e-mail/IM plans on WiFi enabled phones (my wife had it on her 8220), but that's not helpful right now...
    true....i wasnt paying attention and didnt read the whole thing. im feeling lazy today. <shrugs>
    10-08-09 11:50 PM
    Lol, no biggie. As I undertand it you guys don't have those plans in the US...
    10-08-09 11:56 PM
    Does this work??
    04-07-11 05:09 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD