03-14-12 06:29 AM
1,205 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Ahh... you are the one sending all the viewers to our thread.

This thread began as a cooperative answer to the often repeated "Where did my xxx go? Thanks to all the contributors.

net_rim_bb_medialoader_video_83xx_320x240_b.cod 2.5 Mb

That is your sample video. If you removed it from AL, it does not get loaded on your device. No harm in leaving it in place.

The same applies to the *1xx* theme files, they will be ignored by a T-Mobile branded device.

The *100* is T-Mobiles Zen theme, experienced uses can remove it, but aware will see changes if you do.

Sonic Networks, I have no idea what that is.

The pop up is partially covering the second image name, but has to be the Dimensions theme, based on the size.

If you delete that theme, the default build is a blank white background with black outline icons. The appearance is shocking and I choose to recommend leaving that theme in place.

The same applies to the carriers supplied theme. Removing it will change the look and feel to much to recommend to a novice user.

It is clear this will have to be updated as new OS are released. I would appreciated feedback about changes and suggestions for removal of carrier applications.
    Last edited by Stoner; 06-21-08 at 03:39 PM.
    06-21-08 03:32 PM
    Okay, thanks!! The only difference and discrepancy I have seen is the net_rim_bb_media_320x240_b.COD files are named differently... and can lead to confusion for some people. I figured that the minor difference with them being named net_rim_bb_medialoader_320x240_b.COD was something to do with the new OS 4.5

So basically. If i "removed" the files you stated I should move to get rid of the myFaves and I have already gotten rid of the sample video... I should keep the other files in those screen shots in tact?? Since they seem to contribute to the carrier theme.

Just posing the question to reassure myself that I followed your advice correctly

THANKS!
    06-21-08 03:41 PM
    If i "removed" the files you stated I should move to get rid of the myFaves and I have already gotten rid of the sample video... I should keep the other files in those screen shots in tact?? Since they seem to contribute to the carrier theme
    AL selects only the files that match it's internal branding. A T-Mobile (100) build will ignore any files that do not match. If they do not match, there is no need to remove them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-08 05:20 PM
    Whats up Stone, I recommend this thread literally every time I run into the infamous question. This is a must for the BlackBerry in my opinion. I just upgraded to the new OS that Sprint released a couple weeks ago(since my carrier is slow on updates) and did optimization(of course) have six 3rd party apps, Corey Visto custom theme, and normally run 22 free file, after a battery I am a high 26 free file. I was lucky enough to find CrackBerry a few days before I actually got my Berry, and found out about the dreaded memory issue. When I received it I followed your guide, and never had to experience an issue with memory from day one...
    06-21-08 06:26 PM
    Is it so wrong to not want to do any of this, but instead, give it to someone to do for you... I'm so lost
    06-21-08 07:33 PM
    Don't give up, this is an easy fix if you know someone who is a little computer savvy. We offer great advice here and will help you with any of your questions. This guide here is the one that wae easiest for me, and i am not a computer whiz by far. You are in the right spot, read up on your pearl and understand more of what you have to do. Use the search tool above and type your model number in. Get back to us here at the Crack if you are stuck...
    06-21-08 07:42 PM
    Is it so wrong to not want to do any of this, but instead, give it to someone to do for you... I'm so lost
    Thank you for your honesty Clueless.

In my career, I have trained and supported computer users that run the full gamuet of experience. Some can't wait to press the button, others will not press a button for anything expect a positive reassurance.

That is why I broke it down into simple instructions that do not require a computer and all the hassle associated with OS files.

Any BlackBerry user can gain a big chunk of free memory using just the device.

The CrackBerry 101 artical builds on this thread with well documented instructions for the on device management. This thread is intended to allow more daring users to gain even more memory, at the cost of complexity.

Start with your sample video. That is the single biggest chunk of device memory for the simplest set of instructions.

If you have any questions, we will do what it takes to walk you through.

@SD, Many thanks for the kind works. That is what you do in a herd.
    06-21-08 08:15 PM
    Hmm... mine is 38 922 152. Good?
    06-22-08 08:18 PM
    Hmm... mine is 38 922 152. Good?
    That's certainly good enough. Have you done Stoner's procedure, or is that your starting File Free?

06-22-08 08:22 PM
    I did the same thing as Stoner showed, but I got it from a different post somewhere on CB. I have a file on my computer with all the removed files saved in it.
    06-22-08 08:32 PM
    That's fine. There's at least one other variation by John Clark that accomplishes much the same thing. It sounds like you're in good shape.
    06-22-08 08:41 PM
    BlackBerry has seen the light, 64 Mb is just too small for a consumer device.

The 8330 with 96 Mb is a big step in the right direction.

Once Bold releases with 1 Gb, we can retire this thread, and all the memory issues.
    06-22-08 08:49 PM
    Yeah, I figured his 8330 has more available onboard memory. I did a fair share of memory management and optimization... and I have 24,272,252 bytes free.

Props goes out to Stoner for the great guide. I am running .44 optimized... was able to get rid of a ton of bulk! No longer have to deal with the myFaves UI, no longer have stupid default pics, themes, videos... blah blah.

Thanks a ton Stoner!
    06-22-08 09:31 PM
    A quick note to those that are attempting to free up more memory: DO NOT remove the options for DOT Root Certificates AND Blackberry MDS Runtime, even if you do NOT use a BAS service. Doing so will degrade your radio signal and you'll get more drop calls, particularly in low signal strength areas. Maybe someone here can give greater detail, but I learned this the hard way on 2 phones.
    06-23-08 09:27 AM
    Thank you for the input Pic, I will look into it further.

Troubleshooting continues in Pic thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/4-2...d-calls-44631/

Last edited by Stoner; 06-23-08 at 01:47 PM.
    06-23-08 09:33 AM
    I am on a BES, and have never had DoD Root Certificates nor the Blackberry MDS Runtime modules installed. They weren't installed in my implementation of 4.2.2.176, nor were they installed in 4.2.2.196 during the week I ran it. I didn't experience any dropped calls while using 4.2.2.196, but did have the uncaught exception error that corrupted my address book and led me to roll back to 4.2.2.176.

I'm just presenting this info as a data point for your analysis. I'm not disputing Pic's analysis or arguing with his conclusions in any way.
    06-23-08 09:58 AM
    A quick note to those that are attempting to free up more memory: DO NOT remove the options for DOT Root Certificates AND Blackberry MDS Runtime, even if you do NOT use a BAS service. Doing so will degrade your radio signal and you'll get more drop calls, particularly in low signal strength areas. Maybe someone here can give greater detail, but I learned this the hard way on 2 phones.
    i second your information on this i have heard the same thing happening when u remove dot files...
    06-24-08 04:04 PM
    Interesting....mine says file free: 40 754 341 and file total: 83 623 936. But what does that mean? Does it mean that I have 40 mb free and 83 mb used?

I haven't loaded anything yet at all. According to verizons site, it is supposed to have 96 mb of flash and 32 mb of ram. So which corresponds to which? I'm confuzzled.
    It means your device has 83 623 936 bytes available to be used.

You have used 40 754 341 bytes out of that total amount.

Even if you have not installed anything, the default OS install and all of the extra bulk takes up space on your memory. That is why this guide was created, to help free up that space being claimed by un-needed bulk in the OS. (like default themes, sample pics, etc)

Even if the specs say that a certain amount (96MB in your case) is available on your device, the actual amount will be significantly less. That value stated in the Specs on the device is theoretical. I think this has to do with formatting and required system files and firmware, etc. My 64 MB TMo curve only has something like 55MB available total. That is just how it works.

(P.S. I highly recommend a microSD to store media files on, so you can keep your device memory dedicated to apps and run smoothly)
    06-25-08 02:31 PM
    8330 is endowed with plenty of memory, a sure sign the geeks are BlackBerry are well aware of the low memory issues.

Most of the unaccounted for space is being used by Sun Microsystems Java engine. That is the base software BlackBerry is designed to used.

40 Mb of free space is more then enough for a smooth running BlackBerry.

Unfortunalty, if you start saving pictures, videos, voice notes and such, you will use it up.

A media card is a good investment, keeps all that stuff out of device memory so you can use it from more important stuff like programs.
    06-25-08 03:27 PM
    Stoner,
    I have a curve and when I go to media - pictures- preloaded pictures. Is there a way to remove the preloaded pictures??
    06-25-08 03:46 PM
    Yes there is, it is in the advanced techniques section under Wallpaper.

The sample pictures take up 2-3 Mb of memory, well worth moving out of precious device memory.

Have you completed the steps in "Better"?
    06-25-08 03:53 PM
    Hey Stoner... quick question. The first major step is quoted below and covers how to free space when using a memory card. I always wondered this...

Install Media Card - 5+ Mb

When you have a Media Card installed, Open Media / Options.

Set Device Memory Limit to 12 Mb and Reserved Pictures Memory to 0 Mb. What would happen if I set the device memory limit to 15MB instead of 12MB?? This is currently an option in 4.5.44 and I was wondering if it would help at all. I am not sure if this was available in 4.2.2! Thanks

These setting free up reserved space when no media card is available.
    06-25-08 04:53 PM
    If I understand the setting correctly, 12 or 15 Mb is reserved for media playback.

I assume that is enough space to decode and buffer video for Media Player.

The 12 Mb setting has been adequate for everything I have tried, but I rarely view long video clips.

I am sure it is no conicidence the low memory issues begin to occur at this memory level.
    06-25-08 05:19 PM
    If I understand the setting correctly, 12 or 15 Mb is reserved for media playback.

I assume that is enough space to decode and buffer video for Media Player.

The 12 Mb setting has been adequate for everything I have tried, but I rarely view long video clips.

I am sure it is no conicidence the low memory issues begin to occur at this memory level.
    So, theoretically... if you would set that down to 5MB or what-have-you... then it would free up more memory on your device. But then the performance of buffering video and things such as that would suffer?
    06-25-08 05:22 PM
    Only the geeks at BlackBerry know what's going on when things start calling subroutines, but it is safe to say, they gave us the choice for a reason.

06-25-08 07:26 PM
1,205 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD