Thanks for the reply JeffH, I know the original instructions for deleting themes with Maxmem said to activate the Dimension Zen theme to preserve it. So I was curious if that would still be true for the Precision Zen theme. I will take your advice and remove them manually. I don't really care much for "stick figures" lol! Thanks again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-10 07:25 AM
    Hi guys, i've read everything on this thread but i can't seem to find anything that discusses freeing up memory/optimizing device using mac. I'm pretty sure I've read each and every post/reply) Is there away this can be done using mac? Thanks in advance.
    09-22-10 08:14 AM
    Hi guys, i've read everything on this thread but i can't seem to find anything that discusses freeing up memory/optimizing device using mac. I'm pretty sure I've read each and every post/reply) Is there away this can be done using mac? Thanks in advance.
    I have not used the Mac version of BlackBerry Desktop Software, but it is advertised as being capable of loading and maintaining the device OS software. That is the important feature in memory optimization, being able to customize the install process.

The OS install may be located in a different directory structure, but it should be easy to find after the software has been installed.
    09-22-10 09:59 AM
    Thanks Reed. So i'll just follow your first post on this thread or there's a new way to do this stuff? Coz on some threads I've read, like on removing the "sent from my BlackBerry" thread there's a new and easy way instead of going to your carriers BB page to login and so forth by just editing everything on the device itself. I was just wondering if that instruction regarding increasing file free memory is still the best way. (That post is 2008 right?) Thanks again...
    Last edited by klintoncloud; 09-22-10 at 08:59 PM.
    09-22-10 08:16 PM
    Thanks Reed. So i'll just follow your first post on this thread or there's a new way to do this stuff? Coz on some threads I've read, like on removing the "sent from my BlackBerry" thread there's a new and easy way instead of going to your carriers BB page to login and so forth by just editing everything on the device itself. I was just wondering if that instruction is still the best way. (That post is 2008 right?) Thanks again...
    If you have a Email Settings icon on your bb, you can edit all your email accounts from there.

09-22-10 08:55 PM
    I just got my BB a few months ago - I know I'm behind the trend! When people are talking about AppLoader are they referring to it in Desktop Manger or from My Computer/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/etc? I deleted Vendor.xml in the AppLoader folder from Research In Motion...am I on the right path? Because when I go to AppLoader in DM I don't see the sample video and all that jazz? I was only able to delete some of my languages and one game that I don't use. I double checked that I have the correct OS even!
    Last edited by RAD8U; 10-16-10 at 07:36 AM.
    10-16-10 07:20 AM
    I just got my BB a few months ago - I know I'm behind the trend! When people are talking about AppLoader are they referring to it in Desktop Manger or from My Computer/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/etc? I deleted Vendor.xml in the Java folder and then double clicked on AppLoader from that same screen...am I on the right path? Because when I go to AppLoader in DM I don't see the sample video and all that jazz??
    There's the AppLoader folder, where you deleted vendor.xml, loader.exe that you launch from that same folder, and Application Loader in DM. You won't see the sample media through any means of installing an OS, just from the Java folder on your PC, and if left in the OS you install the phone itself. Loader.exe is the right one to launch. I use DM almost exclusively for database backups only.
    10-16-10 07:44 AM
    my application memory says 55.7mb but sometime it goes up at 70mb then low at 50.6mb then goes low as 35mb.

i dont understand, i deleted almost everything already and i had a battery pull. what shall i do next?

i have a bb9700. am sooo sad my BB is acting sooooo slow

please help
    01-11-11 06:59 AM
    my application memory says 55.7mb but sometime it goes up at 70mb then low at 50.6mb then goes low as 35mb.

i dont understand, i deleted almost everything already and i had a battery pull. what shall i do next?

i have a bb9700. am sooo sad my BB is acting sooooo slow

please help
    File free will always fluctuate with use. The OS you're using probably has the most to do with your lag, though an app/theme or poor signal can all contribute. What OS are you on?
    01-11-11 07:13 AM
    One possible explanation why adding and deleting apps can slow your machine down is that it can cause the Content Store to grow, taking memory away from the OS and other apps. The BlackBerry OS uses the Content Store somewhat like Windows uses the Temp folder, and code modules can be orphaned there when applications are installed and deleted. Reloading the OS restores the Content Store to its minimum size. You can do that without reloading the OS by going to the Advanced Backup and Restore options in DM, selecting the Content Store in the right-hand window, then clicking the Clear button at the bottom of the window.
    JeffH:
    It seems a viable alternative to reloading OS, but from your instructions my DM software lacks the ability to clear the Content Store on either Advanced Backup or Restore. My DM is: Blackberry Desktop Software, Version 6.0.1.18 (Bundle 21). Device Software Version: 5.0.0.846 (Blackberry 9300 3G Curve) Carrier: T-Mobile. Below are complete thumbnail images of both Backup and Restore screens from DM, and as you can see, the �clear� option is obviously nonexistent. I have custom selected Content Store on both Backup and Restore, both are showing 51 entries.

Memorywise, I�m not doing too bad considering what I have installed. My free space application memory is at 63.2mb, and my Media card (16gb) is at 3.2mb free space. However, I would definitely would like to free up some memory if possible. Any thoughts?
    01-16-11 04:34 PM
    Here is a list of cod files that can be removed with BBsak. Be sure to make a folder on your pc to save them to in case you need to retrieve them later. Read through the post before proceeding. Good luck.

Last edited by albee 1; 01-16-11 at 06:38 PM.
    01-16-11 06:34 PM
    Here's the link.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/remo...-files-466940/

01-16-11 06:37 PM
    JeffH:
    It seems a viable alternative to reloading OS, but from your instructions my DM software lacks the ability to clear the Content Store on either Advanced Backup or Restore. My DM is: Blackberry Desktop Software, Version 6.0.1.18 (Bundle 21). ...
    I installed DM 6 the other day so that I could see the differences in the new version. The user interface is very different from DM 5.0. Among many other changes, the Clear command has been moved and renamed. If you connect your device to DM 6, then click the Device drop down in the upper left hand corner, you will see the option to "Delete data..." Select "Delete Data..." then click the radio button "Selected Data." Now you can check the box for Content Store and clear it.

I just performed the task on my Tour and reduced the size of the Content Store from 65 records to 24 records. I recommend you allow DM to automatically backup the file before you delete it, in case you find some problem afterward. I have never had a problem caused by clearing the Content Store, but it doesn't hurt to take the offered precaution.

If you only have 3.2MB free on a 16GB media card, then you have very little free space left (as a percentage of the whole).
    jwinn3 likes this.
    01-16-11 07:32 PM
    I installed DM 6 the other day so that I could see the differences in the new version. The user interface is very different from DM 5.0. Among many other changes, the Clear command has been moved and renamed. If you connect your device to DM 6, then click the Device drop down in the upper left hand corner, you will see the option to "Delete data..." Select "Delete Data..." then click the radio button "Selected Data." Now you can check the box for Content Store and clear it.

I just performed the task on my Tour and reduced the size of the Content Store from 65 records to 24 records. I recommend you allow DM to automatically backup the file before you delete it, in case you find some problem afterward. I have never had a problem caused by clearing the Content Store, but it doesn't hurt to take the offered precaution.

If you only have 3.2MB free on a 16GB media card, then you have very little free space left (as a percentage of the whole).
    JeffH:
    I followed your suggestions to the letter and deleted 25.6 entries from the Content Store for a new total of 37 entries. My memory only increased from 62.6 to 62.9. I have such an abundance of apps and 10 different language support files: French, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, etc. So it's really no mystery why I have the amount of application memory that I do. Fortunately it's not causing my machine any sluggishness or lack of speed. In reference to the 16gb media card, I have converted dvd files, videos, pdf files, mobipocket ebooks, multitudes of pictures and such. So I'm not really pressed for memory there. 3.2mb is fine for my purposes. But hey, thanks for your assistance and guidance. Now I know another way to increase memory. Incidentally, I completely back up my machine on a regular basis to an external USB hard drive. Thanks once again!
    01-16-11 10:41 PM
    Please help. I bought a Pearl 8110 which was locked to the Vodaphone network. I managed to unlock it so I now have a basic phone that makes and receives calls but other features are still tied into Vodaphone. I discovered I needed to reflash the phone and a search took me to the beginning of this thread.

I have downloaded CrackMem to make things easier but..... When I download the OS I don't get the 'Wireless Handheld'. I have tried downloading the OS several times but that is always missing! What am I doing wrong?
    01-29-11 04:32 AM
    I've never reflashed a phone, so I can't tell you how to do it, but I can tell you that CrackMem can't be used to reflash your phone. The good news is, you probably don't need to reflash it, if leclerc is a GSM carrier. I'm not familiar with leclerc. Do you have a SIM card from them for your phone? If you do, you probably don't need to reflash your phone.

When you download the OS, are you installing it on your PC? Did you double-click the exe that you downloaded?
    01-29-11 08:01 AM
    Please help. I bought a Pearl 8110 which was locked to the Vodaphone network. I managed to unlock it so I now have a basic phone that makes and receives calls but other features are still tied into Vodaphone. I discovered I needed to reflash the phone and a search took me to the beginning of this thread.

I have downloaded CrackMem to make things easier but..... When I download the OS I don't get the 'Wireless Handheld'. I have tried downloading the OS several times but that is always missing! What am I doing wrong?
    You need to contact your carrier, and have them add a BIS plan for that phone. The OS won't matter.
    01-29-11 09:28 AM
    JeffH:
    I followed your suggestions to the letter and deleted 25.6 entries from the Content Store for a new total of 37 entries. My memory only increased from 62.6 to 62.9. I have such an abundance of apps and 10 different language support files: French, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, etc. So it's really no mystery why I have the amount of application memory that I do. Fortunately it's not causing my machine any sluggishness or lack of speed. In reference to the 16gb media card, I have converted dvd files, videos, pdf files, mobipocket ebooks, multitudes of pictures and such. So I'm not really pressed for memory there. 3.2mb is fine for my purposes. But hey, thanks for your assistance and guidance. Now I know another way to increase memory. Incidentally, I completely back up my machine on a regular basis to an external USB hard drive. Thanks once again!
    If you need the multi language ability, they are all installed on a new device. They do consume a large amount of memory.

If you run the Setup Wizard, it will allow you to delete any of the language support you will not be using.

Alternatly, you can do that from Applications (loader) in BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    jwinn3 likes this.
    01-29-11 10:07 AM
    I'm not familiar with leclerc. Do you have a SIM card from them for your phone? If you do, you probably don't need to reflash your phone.
    I live in France, Leclerc supplies sim cards for payg customers and operate with SFR who are part of Vodafone!

When you download the OS, are you installing it on your PC? Did you double-click the exe that you downloaded?
    Yes I did download it to my computer.

You need to contact your carrier, and have them add a BIS plan for that phone. The OS won't matter.
    Sorry if this sounds really stupid but what is BIS?
    01-29-11 11:13 AM
    Sorry for the stupid question, I realised what bis was as soon as I posted. My problem is I get the Vodafone splash screen at startup and when I try to connect to the internet with Opera it tries to use Vodafone live.
    01-29-11 11:24 AM
    Sorry for the stupid question, I realised what bis was as soon as I posted. My problem is I get the Vodafone splash screen at startup and when I try to connect to the internet with Opera it tries to use Vodafone live.
    The splash screen you'll never removed. That's flashed to the eeprom. You have Voda's APN in your TCP/IP setting, but unless you get a data plan for BlackBerry from your provider, your app choices will be very limited, and only functional through WiFi.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/wif...s-list-462539/
    paulel likes this.
    01-29-11 01:46 PM
    Sorry to be a pain but I cannot even use wifi because my browser has a default configuration to Vodafone live. I have gone into advanced options and then browser but I cannot change those settings. Any ideas please?
    01-30-11 04:37 AM
    Sorry to be a pain but I cannot even use wifi because my browser has a default configuration to Vodafone live. I have gone into advanced options and then browser but I cannot change those settings. Any ideas please?
    You need the carrier to send you service books from them. That's why your browser is like that.
    01-31-11 01:29 PM
    Thanks for your reply but I've just found out the 8110 doesn't have wifi capabilities! I should have done more research, I just assumed all Blackberries were capable of connecting to the internet without having to pay a premium. My BB is no better than the cheap Nokia I had before. In fact it's worse, the Nokia had a (much) better camera!
    01-31-11 02:06 PM
    I'm sorry, but your original post said nothing about wifi. Ed and I both missed that in your post above, or we would have told you. The 8120 is the only 81xx series BlackBerry with wifi.
    01-31-11 02:20 PM
1,205 ... 4546474849
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD