-----

The original poster said to set Reserved Pictures Memory to 0 Mb. Mine is set at 2 Mg. What does setting it to '0' do and what do I lose by changing it? Thanks

-----

Reserved Picture Memory is device memory reserved for pictures. The default is 5 Mb, that is enough space to store 10 full sized images or many low res images.

When you have a media card installed, setting the Camera to use media card memory eliminates the need to keep device memory in reserve... 5 Mb of free space.

Thank you for the comments. My aim is to explain the process in simple, novice friendly terms.
    05-25-08 09:48 AM
    My file free currently is 20564548. I've decided that I only need on BB things that I know I am going to use. I dont have to try out every bit of software or theme I come across.

In the short amount of time I've been a BB user, I have paid for themes that in the end, I didnt like enough to keep using and resorted back to Dimension L; which is my fave.
    05-25-08 11:12 AM
    20 Mb is plenty for a smooth running device.

I have been thinking about the relationship between Device Memory Limit and the strange goings on that occure at about the same File Free limit.

My device is set to 12 Mb Device Memory. As I understand the setting, that is the maximum size media file the device will play.

It could also means, if File Free drops into that reserved space, clean up begins.

05-25-08 03:03 PM
    Ok Stoner- all this is new to me and you lost me at device memory limit.
    05-26-08 05:38 PM
    How about when using the device for web and such?

I lose memory while surfing and all that. About 75% comes back after I exit out but ......
    05-26-08 05:40 PM
    This is a wicked thread! I followed it to clear up sooo much space on my greenberry.

I have a question though. When I'm removing modules I don't see a:
    net_rim_bb_media_320x240_b.COD

mine says: net_rim_bb_medialauncher_320x240_b.COD

Is this the same thing? I've got the BETA 4.5.0.37 is that just the new name for the module? I'm afraid to remove it and shag up my berry!
    05-26-08 06:26 PM
    This is a wicked thread! I followed it to clear up sooo much space on my greenberry.

I have a question though. When I'm removing modules I don't see a:
    net_rim_bb_media_320x240_b.COD

mine says: net_rim_bb_medialauncher_320x240_b.COD

Is this the same thing? I've got the BETA 4.5.0.37 is that just the new name for the module? I'm afraid to remove it and shag up my berry!
    I am sure it serves the same purpose, just a change in the naming conventions. I am sure all this make a lot of sense to the BB Geeks, all part of the master plan.

When it becomes official, I will update the file names based on the OS version.
    05-26-08 06:55 PM
    How about when using the device for web and such?

I lose memory while surfing and all that. About 75% comes back after I exit out but ......

I use my Browser for email and browsing the web.

The Browser uses a cache to speed up operations. You can view the size of the Content Cache with Browser / Options / Cache Operations. I have monitored it and observed it grows to 2 Mb then remains stable. That is typical of caches, they keep the most current page elements and discard the older elements.

There is little point in manually clearing the cache, it will slow the operation down because it has to reload all the data that was flushed.

The Content Cache is one of the clean up items after a battery pull and reset. The other caches, Pushed Content and Cookies are intact after reset.
    05-26-08 07:02 PM
    lol, I figured it was the same thing but I was terrified of turning my phone into a paperweight!

I'm gonna try removing this module tonight, I'll let you know if I brick my phone or if I manage to remove the preinstalled pictures!
    05-26-08 07:04 PM
    Ok Stoner- all this is new to me and you lost me at device memory limit.
    We all bring different levels of experience to the table. I had hoped this will be meaningful and useful to all levels of users.

I will work on rewording the Simple section to make it clear how simple it is to gain substantial memory increases.

If you will can help me with feedback, that would really be appreciated. Check in here if I can step you through the process.

You have plenty of free memory now, but you may as well clean up the stuff you will only use once, like the Sample Video.
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-26-08 at 07:12 PM.
    05-26-08 07:06 PM
    lol, I figured it was the same thing but I was terrified of turning my phone into a paperweight!

I'm gonna try removing this module tonight, I'll let you know if I brick my phone or if I manage to remove the preinstalled pictures!
    Tip: If you brick the 'berry, go to the last post in the series, How to recover a dead BlackBerry.

Worst case, you will start up with a corrupted theme, black on white icons. Pretty scarry, but really simple to fix.
    05-26-08 07:10 PM
    Thanks Stoner really helped a lot appreciate the time taken for the post.
    05-27-08 02:05 AM
    Thank you very much.

BlackBerry has forecast another 2.3 million subscribers this quarter, that works out to 25,000 per day.

Fortunately, when problems occur, many will turn to Google and nearly any BlackBerry question will highlight CrackBerry near the top. That is how many of our new friends are finding us.

Once they find us, it is good to know a balanced answer and directions on how to deal with the biggest problems are at hand.
    05-27-08 09:43 AM
    Wahoo!! I removed the net_rim_bb_medialoader module and the preinstalled pictures are gone! I've got 30 MB free!
    05-27-08 11:07 AM
    Please note that after I install the Desktop v4.3 I have no issues at all.
    Then I install my carriers or another carriers (tried verizon & sprint) device software and I then cannot connect my Vista machine to my 8330.
    I have tried to first install the Device software then the desktop software...... no help. Either way as soon as my device software is on the computer I can no longer connect via USB (Only option for me). Seems that something is blocking the usb settings. I try to detect usb and it cannot find anything. But as soon as I reinstall just the Desktop software I have no issues. Also when my 8330 is connected, I can view it as a drive all the time.... never issues with either software.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Blackberry 8330 Curve
    Desktop v4.3.xxx
    Device v4.3.xxxx
    05-28-08 08:33 AM
    Help, I deleted the bbdimension_today_320x24_b to free up memory and wasn't thinking that it would also prevent some of my favorite today themes from showing up, stupid on my part. I tried to add the command back in the blackberry.alx file and then save it but when I did the app loader, it did not load it back. Is there anyway to reload that theme without having to reinstall the OS again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    05-28-08 09:57 AM
    Please note that after I install the Desktop v4.3 I have no issues at all.
    Then I install my carriers or another carriers (tried verizon & sprint) device software and I then cannot connect my Vista machine to my 8330.
    I have tried to first install the Device software then the desktop software...... no help. Either way as soon as my device software is on the computer I can no longer connect via USB (Only option for me). Seems that something is blocking the usb settings. I try to detect usb and it cannot find anything. But as soon as I reinstall just the Desktop software I have no issues. Also when my 8330 is connected, I can view it as a drive all the time.... never issues with either software.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Blackberry 8330 Curve
    Desktop v4.3.xxx
    Device v4.3.xxxx
    That is interesting. After installing DM you can connect to the device, but after installing the OS, it fails to connect.

Have you checked Connection Settings? That is locate under Options in DM.

Last edited by Stoner; 05-28-08 at 10:29 AM.
    05-28-08 10:19 AM
    Help, I deleted the bbdimension_today_320x24_b to free up memory and wasn't thinking that it would also prevent some of my favorite today themes from showing up, stupid on my part. I tried to add the command back in the blackberry.alx file and then save it but when I did the app loader, it did not load it back. Is there anyway to reload that theme without having to reinstall the OS again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Fortunately, it is very simple to restore if you have gone too far.

If you followed my instructions, the file was moved to a back up folder. Restore the file to the original Java folder and re-run Applications Loader. You might find AL will not continue because it does not see any changes. The simplest way around that is to add something small like DOD security and reinstall.

If you actually deleted the file, you will have to install the OS from the file you downloaded and saved in step 2.

05-28-08 10:28 AM
    This is without a doubt the best thing for the Pearl. Stoners guide is dead on easy if you take your time. My berry is a running machine now thanks to the advice from Stoner and John Clark. If you are having memory issues on the Pearl or other BlackBerries this is waht you need to do to end the problem. It looks intimidating at first but once you get into it and follow the step by step instructions from Stoner you will be done before you know it. When you check your free file you will die! I gained so much memory...
    05-28-08 10:48 AM
    Thank you for the compliments.

John Clark's thread at BlackBerry Forums was my instruction to get my device working smoothly. I referred to it frequently when I encountered users with memory issues.

Both threads hope to accomplish the same purpose, but I decided to eliminate the distractions of Theme editing and concentrate on the most challenging step, installing the Device OS.

05-28-08 10:53 AM
    Fortunately, it is very simple to restore if you have gone too far.

If you followed my instructions, the file was moved to a back up folder. Restore the file to the original Java folder and re-run Applications Loader. You might find AL will not continue because it does not see any changes. The simplest way around that is to add something small like DOD security and reinstall.

If you actually deleted the file, you will have to install the OS from the file you downloaded and saved in step 2.

Thanks so much, I wound up having to reinstall it because I didn't bother to save a copy, my bad. But thank you for taking the time to answer and next time I will make sure to make a copy!.
    05-28-08 02:05 PM
    one question I removed preinstalled wallpaper and now I can not change folder pics only have the one to choose from anyway to fix that with out installing the preinstalled wallpapers?

Thanks
    05-28-08 06:47 PM
    I can not change folder pics only have the one to choose from anyway to fix that with out installing the preinstalled wallpapers?
    Folder pics? I am not familiar with the feature.

I do not see how the wallpaper would affect folders. Simple enough to restore the file and verify that was the cause.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-08 07:07 PM
    John Clark's procedure mentions losing the ability to have anything but yellow folders. Maybe that's what he's talking about?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-08 08:00 PM
    Yes jeff that is what I meant
    05-28-08 08:42 PM
1,205 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD