i deleted the sample video and rand CrackMem, i reinstalled the os and left out a few apps, but i still only have about 20mb free. how can i delete the sample pics? what .cod files can i remove on 4.5.0.89 to get the most memory gain?
    CrackMem refers to the pre-installed pictures as Wallpaper, the third line down on the right column.

Later versions of the update software have already removed the images, saving a lot of space.
    10-29-08 10:20 AM
    I downloaded the latest desktop manager for at&t which was a v4.6. I then downloaded the device manager v4.5. When I went to the desktop manager application loader, the device manager did not show up. I pulled up the device manager from the computer but it will not open. What did I do wrong, and how can I correct it?
    I am not sure what you are referring to as Device Manager.

The two software components are BlackBerry Desktop Software that contains Applications Loader, Backup and Synchronize.

The second is BlackBerry Device Software, that is the actual software that is loaded on the device.

Use Windows Control Panel / Programs to verify both are correctly installed.

If it is the Device Software that is not responding, verify that you have removed the vendor.xml file. The simplest way is to use CrackMem. You can do it manualy with Windows / Computer. Select the drive C:\ icon and navigate to:

C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader. Scroll to the bottom of the list and delete the file vendor.xml.

That will allow you to proceed with the installation.
    10-29-08 10:29 AM
    How do I delete applications on my home screen (ie Google Talk, Alltel Store, etc). I've looked for them on the applications page and can't find them. I also cannot get them to show up under application loader. My application loader only shows Facebook. I need to free up space and cannot figure out how to delete more files!
    There are two types of icons that appear on the desktop, installed applications and links. Managing the applications is straightforward, if they are not part of the core system, you can remove them using Options / Advanced Options / Applications.

The second type, links, are not listed in applications and you can not delete them. They are usually part of your carriers customized package. You can hide them, they take up very little space.

I prefer to move them to a new folder then hide the folder.
    10-29-08 10:35 AM
    "Device Manager" is what I got when I followed the link and then downloaded the appropriate Verizon software for my Curve 8330.

And now I have the following issue -- neither Desktop Manager nor the new Device Manager recognize when my Curve is connected via the USB cable. Windows recognizes it, my Curve recognizes it (I get the charging symbol and the question about mass storage mode), but nothing in either software.
    11-01-08 08:11 PM
    Well, I got my Curve connecting again by downloading and installing the latest Desktop Manager. However, I am how facing the original issue that I don't see the system apps in the "Application Loader" menu, meaning I can't remove the fluff I don't need.

And I'm hesitant to attempt reinstalling the Device Manager/Device Software, since it was at that point that I lost the ability to connect my Curve to my PC.

Any thoughts from the experts?
    11-01-08 11:38 PM
    It's not clear to me what you were trying to do, nor what link you followed. Were you trying to upgrade your OS? The Upgrade / Downgrade Procedure in my sig can help you with that. Is that the procedure you were following, or were you following the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's also linked in my sig?
    11-01-08 11:45 PM
    Go here and download the OS.

BlackBerry® Software Updates

Once the OS is installed on your PC then desktop manager will allow add' and removal of app's then you can follow the step on getting rid of stuff in this thread.

Good to see you on here, bro. Everyone take an easy on him hes a noobie but a good friend
    11-01-08 11:46 PM
    It's not clear to me what you were trying to do, nor what link you followed. Were you trying to upgrade your OS? The Upgrade / Downgrade Procedure in my sig can help you with that. Is that the procedure you were following, or were you following the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's also linked in my sig?
    Lemme lay out the timeline:

1: Installed Desktop Manager from the CD that came with my Curve. Connected BB, worked fine.
    2: Read Memory Optimization posts and decided I wanted to remove unnecessary system apps.
    3. Followed link at beginning of this thread (same link that Yester just posted) and downloaded Verizon Curve 8330 Device Manager. Installed Device Manager.
    4. Linked BB with USB cord. Desktop Manager does not recognize BB, despite Windows recognizing an attached device.
    5. Downloaded newest version of Desktop Manager, now it recognizes BB again. However, when I go to "Application Loader", I'm still only seeing the apps that I have manually added to my BB, not any of the original system apps.

I can confirm by going to add/remove programs in Windows that I see "Blackberry 8330" listed in my programs list. But I don't have the option to remove any system apps.

Any thoughts? As Yester said, I am definitely a noob but walk me through it and I'll do my best.
    11-01-08 11:54 PM
    The problem is in your step 3. You downloaded the Device Manager when you should have downloaded the latest OS for your device. You have to have the device OS installed on your PC for step 5 to work. When you have it installed correctly, you'll see two lines in Windows Add/Remove Programs, one for Desktop Manager, and one for the Device OS.

Follow the link again and download the 8830 OS and you'll be back on track.

Welcome to the Forums!
    11-01-08 11:59 PM
    Sorry, I should have been more clear --

I do have two lines in Windows Add/Remove Programs. One reads "Blackberry 8330", and one reads "Blackberry Desktop Software 4.6".

In my Programs list, I have a "Desktop Manager" listed, and I also have a "Device Manager" listed. The Desktop Manager brings up the application with the backup, restore, application loader, etc. The Device Manager loads a systray app that when clicked brings up a small window with 4 tabs (Device Connection, Statistics, Blackberry Router Configuration, About).

I just rechecked using the link Yester provided. When I select 8330 on that page and punch in my phone number, it starts downloading a 97.5 MB file, same as the one I downloaded before, that installed the Device Manager.
    11-02-08 12:07 AM
    One final preperation step and it should work.

Open Windows / Computer and select drive C:\

Navigate to C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.

Scroll to the bottom and delete vendor.xml. It is created fresh each time you run the 8330 device install program.

If it still fails to connect, do a repair re-install of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, that should correct any remaining USB connections.
    11-02-08 03:15 PM
    Well, it's currently connecting fine, after I downloaded and installed the latest Desktop Manager. The current problem is that in the Application Loader, I only see the applications I have added to my BB, not any of the system apps that I'd like to remove.

I have checked and verified that I have "Blackberry 8330 Software" listed in my "Add/Remove Programs" list in the control panel in Windows (listed just above the "Blackberry Desktop Manager").

Should I try re-installing the 8330 OS on my computer?
    11-02-08 04:55 PM
    you do realize to remove the files listed you dont go to the app loader, you have to go to the location mentioned on the hard drive. c/program files/shared files/ (the location mentioned in the original post)

when you remove them from the proper location, they still wont appear in your ap loader, they appear on the following screen where it lists what will be removed.

as an example, if you remove the dimension l theme, it doesn't display in the apploader section that lists all apps, it appears on the following screen as being an unknown app that will be removed.
    11-03-08 04:29 AM
    No, that step is in the "Slightly More Difficult" process. I am simply trying to complete the "Better" process, and it makes no mention of navigating directly to the files. The screenshots show (for example) the list of languages in the Application Loader that can be removed.
    11-03-08 08:26 AM
    One final preperation step and it should work.

Open Windows / Computer and select drive C:\

Navigate to C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.

Scroll to the bottom and delete vendor.xml. It is created fresh each time you run the 8330 device install program.

If it still fails to connect, do a repair re-install of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, that should correct any remaining USB connections.

You have to deal with the security file before it will work.

As long as Vendor.xml is present, you will not be able to see the new software.
    11-03-08 09:34 AM
    I just checked that path again, and the vendor.xml is still deleted.

Should I try re-installing the Blackberry OS? My last action was re-installing the Desktop Manager.
    11-03-08 07:14 PM
    Sorry, I should have been more clear --

I do have two lines in Windows Add/Remove Programs. One reads "Blackberry 8330", and one reads "Blackberry Desktop Software 4.6".
    I couldn't figure out what the problem was, so I started working my way back and found this post. If what you typed here is correct, this is your problem. You have the wrong OS installed on your PC. The latest 8330 OS is 4.5.0.77. There are later beta versions, but there is no OS 4.6 for the 8330. Look at the sticky at the top of the 8330 forum to find the correct OS for your device.
    Last edited by JeffH; 11-03-08 at 09:43 PM. Reason: typo
    11-03-08 09:42 PM
    4.6 is the version of the Desktop Software, not the OS.
    11-03-08 10:19 PM
    You're right. How did I misread that?...

What is the filename of the OS file you downloaded?
    11-03-08 10:30 PM
    Well, here's something odd I just noticed. The file I originally downloaded a couple days ago was this:

8330EFS_PBr4.3.0_rel202_PL3.1.0.72_A4.3.0.127_Veri zon.exe

And the file size was 97.4 MB.

I rechecked the link, and the file name has changed to:

8330AMEA_PBr4_1.5.0_rel101_PL3.2.0.51_A4.5.0.77.ex e

And the file size is only 68 MB or so.

So I suppose I'll try installing the new exe I'm currently downloading, unless you know of some reason not to try it.
    11-03-08 10:36 PM
    Install it. That file name is what I expected to see.
    11-03-08 10:40 PM
    Excellent, I'll give it a shot. Would you recommend uninstalling the previous file I downloaded and installed first, or just install the new one over the top?

Thanks much for all the help...I'd be going crazy if I had to figure this out on my own.
    11-03-08 10:42 PM
    I've done it both ways. It never hurts to uninstall the old file, and since you've had so many issues, that's probably best. But if you've gone ahead without deleting it, I doubt you'll have a problem.
    11-03-08 10:59 PM
    I went ahead and uninstalled the previous version just to be on the safe side. It looks like this one is working -- when I connected my Blackberry, it took me to the "Update Device" process, which it did NOT do previously. I'm letting it run through the update process, and then I'll go back and remove the applications I don't need.

Thank you again for your assistance with this process!
    11-03-08 11:44 PM
    Thanks for this thread, i really helped with this valuable information.
    Keep up the great works guys...
    11-05-08 01:09 AM
1,205 ... 2122232425 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD