http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/hel...50/index3.html

Trouble shooting continues in shoeler's help thead.
    05-17-08 03:04 PM
    SO far I have gotten like 10 mb extra from doing this procedure. I have however noticed that there are still some themes on my crackberry. The dimension themes that i don't want to remove, and like three others ) tmo, rogers, and att. These do not show up as deletable on my CB. They also do not show up on my desktop manager. any ideas?
    05-18-08 11:20 PM
    also, when removing the walpapers, does the language have to be exact? IOW, when you saynet_rim_bb_medialoader_320x280_b.COD
    or
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_260x240_b.COD do you mean that exactly? I have found some files, but the dimensions do not match those you give. one says media 320x240 and another says media loader video 83xx ? How about the file that says media tunebundles sonic network? Or the many files that have the word "help" in them?
    05-18-08 11:50 PM
    Opps, thank you for bringing up the obvious errors in the file names. I will get right on that.

The other things you mentioned, themes, will depend on the carrier. Mine was typical of T-Mobile, but with feed back from other carriers, the theme handling instructions will be improved.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-08 10:59 AM
    Hey Stoner, Im not trying to bring up errors, im genuinunely confused. I want to know is it safe to delete those files or do they have to match your file list you stated exactly in order to be "safe"? I don't want to remove something thinking "ah, this looks close enough" and it be wrong,lol.

So is it safe to say most files that have "media" listed are safe to remove? What about "help" files? I removed the "help" via app loader, but i still see some under the java folder. Do i need to remove these too?

I am trying to squeeze out as much memory as possible! lol
    05-19-08 11:13 AM
    I really welcome the feed back, D Town. My goal is to make the process as "Novice Friendly" as possible, but still getting the job done.

I have intentionally stopped short of recommending deleting original carrier themes. They are intrigue to the Out of the Box experience and they would be missed, raising all kinds of Where did xxx go?

The same applies to Ringtones. I do not advise removing the 68 Kb file of preinstalled Ringtones. Strange things happen if they are not present....

Good question about the surplus files:

Notice how only 4 files have been selected? Those are the only files that actually load, on an English only device. The remaining files are there, if additional language support is needed. I moved them as a group to keep them intact.

The same logic applies to applications, including Help, that are managed from Applications Loader. If they are not being used, they do not get loaded in the device. Leaving them alone is preferred.

Last edited by Stoner; 05-19-08 at 12:30 PM.
    05-19-08 12:27 PM
    If i have a TMO, would you still recommend me keeping att and rogers themes? I don't use them and was wondering if they were one of the larger themes that take up space.

Also, how the heck do you get your files to line up like that? My files don't look like that and i have to highlight each and everyone to figure out what their titles are!
    05-19-08 01:00 PM
    BlackBerry's theme management is difficult to explain in terms a New Comer can understand. I have chosen to error on the side of caution and avoid the risk of a Non-Theme start-up. That is not a very pleasant experience when you are updating your device.

For the more adventure some users, the simple explanation is: Each device is factory branded with an internal number. The numbers in use begin at 100 for T-Mobile and continue higher for additional carries.

When Application Loader is selecting files for the build, only the ones that match the carriers number (1xx) are included. The remainder are not used in the build and it is safe to leave the alone.

The columns are images. Screen shots off the Vista control panel. There is a way to get proper alignment, it requires both CODE and FONT vB tags.

05-19-08 01:19 PM
    ok. i have xp home, so that explains that. What im still confused about is the fact that when i did this process weeks ago when it reloaded i had atts theme. With stuff like att store, etc. So right now if you open up themes from my handheld you see rogers, att, and then the ones i want. Maybe i left some vendors in the file and didn't notice?..Let me try it like this..is a theme considered "original carrier" even if its not MY carrier? Oh yeah, and one more thing, can i delete anything with the word media in it? Still trying to figure out if all the crap is gone.
    05-19-08 01:38 PM
    ok. i have xp home, so that explains that. What im still confused about is the fact that when i did this process weeks ago when it reloaded i had atts theme. With stuff like att store, etc. So right now if you open up themes from my handheld you see rogers, att, and then the ones i want. Maybe i left some vendors in the file and didn't notice?..Let me try it like this..is a theme considered "original carrier" even if its not MY carrier? Oh yeah, and one more thing, can i delete anything with the word media in it? Still trying to figure out if all the crap is gone.
    Ok, I believe I understand what your are seeing.

You have a T-Mobile Curve 8320, the Gold one. If you have been installing upgrades to the OS, you have introduced AT&T or Rogers carrier specific files. The carriers want you to use the apps, but you can get rid of them if you can identify and remove the COD files.

I am reluctant to OK the anything with media can be deleted, but as long as you are confidant you can recover them for another try, go for it.

05-19-08 01:52 PM
    oh wait, i should not say "delete" i mean, move to the "remove folder"..lol big difference, i know!

and thanks about the themes, thats what i wanted to know! thanks for all your patience.
    Last edited by D_Town; 05-19-08 at 02:06 PM. Reason: spelled "your" wrong
    05-19-08 01:56 PM
    Good Thread for newbies and more experienced as well
    05-19-08 02:00 PM
    on the sample vid, cant you just delete it from the applications list under advanced options on your blackberry?
    05-21-08 06:05 AM
    on the sample vid, cant you just delete it from the applications list under advanced options on your blackberry?
    Yes, that is the simple way to get it out of device memory.

Many users will be more comfortable if they can manage memory on the device. Others will appreciate the benefit the having a complete OS on hand, should a problem develop.

That is why I chose to document both techniques.
    05-21-08 10:28 AM
    great post stoner. i've been wondering how to remove this ptt nonsense since i got my crackberry.
    05-21-08 12:30 PM
    Worked like a charm! Thanks!!
    05-22-08 01:36 PM
    Awesome information and great instructions! Thanks Stoner.

Couldn't kill PTT on my AT&T phone though...went into a perpetual reboot.
    05-22-08 03:12 PM
    Good Thread for newbies and more experienced as well
    I agree Latino! very nice done!
    05-22-08 07:21 PM
    Thanks for the information Stoner. My memory has been ridiculously low. I mean like 293000 and giving me white screens. I will have to try this and sure hope it helps.

Thanks again!
    05-22-08 07:50 PM
    Under 300 Kb, that will really benefit from a good clean up.
    05-23-08 10:46 AM
    It is a good feeling, knowing you can deal with nearly any device software issue. Make you the master of the beast, Sit!Stay! Good BlackBerry
    HEHE! Thanks for the tutorial Stoner!
    05-23-08 11:56 AM
    Hey Stoner, great writeup.

I following your instructions for removing the optional themes. I did notice though, that when it booted up (just fine), and I went to my themes under options, the screen seemed to cut off. I had a few other themes installed and they weren't showing up. By cut off, I mean, it seemed like there was a page break and I couldnt access my other themes.

I put the optional theme files back on the BB and that fixed the problem. Has anybody else had this issue? I didnt notice any other side effects, just an error in the way options > themes was rendered.
    05-23-08 08:04 PM
    Thank you for your feedback, that is interesting.

I have just looked in Options / Themes and the two I left, BB Dimensions Zen and T-Mobile Zen both display correctly.

I will do a little more experimenting to see if I can duplicate the effect on a Curve.
    05-24-08 09:49 AM
    -----

The original poster said to set Reserved Pictures Memory to 0 Mb. Mine is set at 2 Mg. What does setting it to '0' do and what do I lose by changing it? Thanks

-----
    05-24-08 05:47 PM
    Thanks very much. Recommand every newbie to read after get a bb.
    05-24-08 07:12 PM
1,205 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD