Guess it still relates to this thread.

How come my memory goes down from 24mb to 12mb within 2 days after a battery pull? Is it some app that is eating up all memory? Viigo maybe???

I already have done the maxmem thing to go back up to 24 but with some leak somewhere it is useless.
    11-05-08 10:32 AM
    Viigo has a known memory issue. You might try closing the app when you are not using it. That should stop it from consuming your memory.
    11-05-08 10:47 AM
    You mean no automatic updates? Only ask for feeds when I want them? Sounds logical, THX, I'll give it a try.
    11-05-08 11:03 AM
    This -- and the 101 tutorial --is a great thread! It's really helped me free up a lot of memory!

After doing some clean-up and purchasing a MicroSD card for my photos, I've gotten my BB to about 24Mb free (out of 52Mb total).

In the last couple of weeks since I found this forum, I've been maintaining 22-24Mb free, and I clear the cache after each use of my browser.

However, I am still losing my emails, my texts and my call log almost weekly! (Typically it occurs right after I use the browser, and it has been hanging, or super-slow.)

What else might be gobbling up my memory during browser use?
    11-05-08 11:32 AM
    What apps are you running? Are you leaving some apps running in the background when you no longer need them?
    11-05-08 04:12 PM

What else might be gobbling up my memory during browser use?
    The first culprit is the Browser Content Cache. It is used to speed up Browser response by reusing content instead of downloading.

The cache will grow to about 2 Mb, but is stable after that. Personally, I think the BlackBerry software designers have done an excellent job with it.

With those memory numbers, it is not likely you are being purged by the low memory cleaning routines. Something else is at work to be causing that problem.

11-05-08 04:26 PM
    So I followed the step by step procedures to freeing up space be deleting stuff in the Java folder and used the App Loader to complete it but the icons and programs still seem to work on my BB. I can still open Password Keeper, still have the default themes, etc ...

Where did I go wrong?
    11-06-08 09:07 AM
    Can I delete the original themes like BBtoday or BBicon in order to get more free space?
    11-06-08 11:42 AM
    Can I delete the original themes like BBtoday or BBicon in order to get more free space?
    You can, BUT ONLY if you are using the BBDimension Zen theme. Most other themes build on the Icon, Today, and Zen themes, so if you delete these, you typically break the 3rd party themes. I only use the Zen theme, so I was able to delete Icon and Today. If you plan to use 3rd party themes, you should keep all three of the BBDimension themes.
    11-06-08 12:40 PM
    Viigo has a known memory issue. You might try closing the app when you are not using it. That should stop it from consuming your memory.
    Nope... still same problem. From 24 back to 15mb again. This time with Viigo closed and no auto updates. Browser, Nimbuzz and iSkoot are also closed...
    Where is the leak? Or do I have to do a battery pull every 3 days?
    11-06-08 01:13 PM
    FYI-
    When downloading Desktop Manager WITH Media Manager, it will take much longer than downloading the version w/o.
    11-06-08 01:34 PM
    Thanks Max, the feedback is always appreciated.

Media Manger add nearly 100 Mb to the download. That greatly increases the time needed to get productive with the Program and have your BlackBerry running at it's best.
    11-06-08 02:57 PM
    Nope... still same problem. From 24 back to 15mb again. This time with Viigo closed and no auto updates. Browser, Nimbuzz and iSkoot are also closed...
    Where is the leak? Or do I have to do a battery pull every 3 days?
    24 Mb back to 15 Mb means you have 9 Mb in use. That is normal, it will use about 10 Mb and stay stable by reclaiming memory at that level.

The concern is running low on memory and loosing data. That will begin to happen when you are at the Device Reserved Memory limit, 12 or 5 Mb depending on your OS version.

15 Mb is plenty of memory for normal use.
    11-06-08 03:03 PM
    Thanks Max, the feedback is always appreciated.

Media Manger add nearly 100 Mb to the download. That greatly increases the time needed to get productive with the Program and have your BlackBerry running at it's best.
    Learn something new everyday, thanks Reed...
    11-06-08 06:12 PM
    The event log contains diagnostic information that programmers can use to monitor what is actualy occuring on the device. It does not contain any useful information for non-programmers.

Based on observation by several members, deleting the log does free up a small amount of memory, but nothing of any significances. Typically a few Kb.

It is strange that Vlingo is still logging events after being deleted, as a guess there may be some residual component that is still active.

If it bothers you, I would suggest doing a fresh OS install, after backing up your data. The easiest way to accomplish that is with CrackMem. Use the Wipe option to totaly erase the existing OS. That will force a fresh build. Follow up with a Restore to get your data and settings back.
    Wow, 2 weeks and 4 pages of posts later! Quite a popular thread.
    Thanks Reed and Jeff, regarding vlingo I really shouldn't be mucking around past my bedtime. I deleted viigo, not vlingo, duh! Played around a bit, including reducing my device reserve to 5mb. Memory is somewhat more stable, although it will still drop more than 10mb if I let it. I've just gotten in the habit now of doing a soft-reset every morning, and never drop low enough to get my memory into trouble anymore.
    Still, I would like to see what it is that constantly consumes my memory. The only apps I ever have open are phone, messages, home screen, bb messenger, bbsmart alarms(usually nothing set), vibandring and browser. Only apps of those I believe I could close are vibandring and alarms, I've done so and watched the memoryup pro free memory ticker bleed away at the same speed either way. Is this just an anomaly of memoryup, or reality? [While memoryup log shows it constantly restoring memory, it's not enough to keep up with the bleeding.] Checking with status doesn't show the losses being the same at all. My best guess is about 3 to 1. Would I be better off ditching the memoryup altogether, or just ignore the bugger and continue to soft-reset daily.
    Sorry guys, I guess my biggest problem at this point is my own curiosity. Just the type that likes to dig till I get to China. I am admittedly quite anal, which is certainly a blessing and a curse.
    11-08-08 10:28 AM
    I'm not familiar with MemoryUp. Any application that's trying to manage the memory that it's executing in will find itself in conflict with the OS memory management system. That could be the cause of your perceived problem. In other words, the memory management conflict may be causing the problem. Since you can't turn off the OS management system, try removing MemoryUp and see what happens. I don't remember, so I apologize if this is the same answer I gave you earlier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-08 10:49 AM
    NO, I hadn't brought up MemoryUp before. Probably should have. I will delete it and see if this solves my problem.
    Thanks Jeff for the quick response!
    11-08-08 10:57 AM
    I experimented with MemoryUp, but removed it because it did not appear to be doing anything useful and the trial period had expired.

Normal use, you can expect about 10 Mb of free memory to be used. Much of that space is being used for buffering and other internal use. The memory is allocated and returned by the Operating System. The net effect is stable operation and relatively constant memory.

If you are curious about the memory use, check Options / Status / Database sizes. You can view the number of entries and the total size everything is using.
    11-08-08 11:03 AM
    Question, when I go through the apps I want to remove to obtain more memory, I see the Documents to go version shows me 1.00.80 instead of the upgraded version 1.5xxxxx. In addition when I'm ready to click finish and remove everything I've checked it states unrecognized files sheet-to-go etc and says it will be removed. Why is this occurring?
    11-09-08 11:15 PM
    I use MemoryUp and have zero issues with it. Seems to help out alot when I hit a website that freezes the browser and regains all that locked up memory without having to reset my BB. So it's a pretty decent app on my system.

But my best thing is I keep any of my notepad files to small list of things such as reminder notes, etc. And keep my themes and images stored on my BB to a small amount. Same with ringtones and notifier sounds.
    11-10-08 01:11 AM
    VERY useful to know, I went from 15 to 22 using this guide! Cheers!
    11-10-08 01:59 AM
    Question, when I go through the apps I want to remove to obtain more memory, I see the Documents to go version shows me 1.00.80 instead of the upgraded version 1.5xxxxx. In addition when I'm ready to click finish and remove everything I've checked it states unrecognized files sheet-to-go etc and says it will be removed. Why is this occurring?
    Try this, it will solve your problem,

Everytime you run Apploader, it will prompt to downgrade Docs to Go. But don't worry, there is a workaround! Here: Originally Posted by John Clark: If you do an OS upgrade after you have this new version of Docs To Go installed do the following before loading the new OS:1. Navigate to C:/program files/common files/research in motion/loader files/<your BBModel and OS version>/2. Rename DocumentsToGo.alx to DocumentsToGo.old.3. Install the OS (or continue with my edits as outlined in the Optimize your BB Memory thread.)This way when Apploader is run, the loader will pick up Docs to Go as a 3rd party app and back it up and restore it normally. If you don't delete or rename the DocumentsToGo.alx file the loading process will downgrade the Docs To Go to the version included in the OS. We'll have to do this until RIM includes the new version in the OS packages. Originally Posted by camaro322hp:you may want to change the path you note, it does not have the "Shared" folder in it. Should be:C:/program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files/<your BBModel and OS version>/

Last edited by exelant; 11-10-08 at 09:58 AM.
    11-10-08 09:56 AM
    Reed, I have a question about moving 3rd party themes from a BlackBerry to a PC
    folder (or memory card), to save for later use and free up memory? A friend has several 3rd party themes she bought and wants to move to a folder that doesn't affect file free. She doesn't want to delete them because they cost money. It was suggested she use jL comm. to do this. Good idea?

11-10-08 10:12 AM
    This is a job for CrackUtil.

If you have OTA installed themes, the file management section will allow you to copy them for safekeeping and restore them as required.

11-10-08 02:49 PM
    OK, I'm giving the link to a rookie to figure out how to do it, maybe I'll ask ol' Pete a question or two for her.

11-10-08 05:10 PM
1,205 ... 2223242526 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD