Can someone explain, or point me in the right direction, how to remove the read-only sample ringtones/music/pictures in OS 5.0?

I was wondering if CrackMem would do the job or if BBSAK could be used afterwards?
    03-01-10 02:54 PM
    Can someone explain, or point me in the right direction, how to remove the read-only sample ringtones/music/pictures in OS 5.0?

I was wondering if CrackMem would do the job or if BBSAK could be used afterwards?
    I'll try it again. For the media, Program Files->Common Files->Research in Motion->Shared->Loader Files->"the OS you're going to load"->Java, then look for the ones that say media loader, there's one for pictures, one for ringtones, and one for video. Cut them, and paste them in the Removed Files folder within Research in Motion's folder. Reed layed it out nicely with screen shots at the front of this thread.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-10 03:02 PM
    very important and great info thanks
    05-31-10 07:59 PM
    My Bberry VZW Storm 1 (OS release 5.0.0.328) always runs into the lack of free memory issues and locks itself up. I'm on our Corp BES and not sure it this may contribute to various memory issues. I have found over time that not all memory is returned when an app is deleted followed by a reset. Are there memory holes left behind when apps are deleted? I usually do not keep anything around that I don't need. Constantly deleting emails and SMS messages to hopefully free up memory. I use a 8GB card and store all pics and flixs there. I try to run it as lean as I can, but usually end up doing a battery pull every other day.

Is there some tool or utility that can resore memory when apps are removed, like a PC's defrag or something like that to free up memory? Please advise...
    06-09-10 11:01 AM
    My Bberry VZW Storm 1 (OS release 5.0.0.328) always runs into the lack of free memory issues and locks itself up. I'm on our Corp BES and not sure it this may contribute to various memory issues. I have found over time that not all memory is returned when an app is deleted followed by a reset. Are there memory holes left behind when apps are deleted? I usually do not keep anything around that I don't need. Constantly deleting emails and SMS messages to hopefully free up memory. I use a 8GB card and store all pics and flixs there. I try to run it as lean as I can, but usually end up doing a battery pull every other day.

Is there some tool or utility that can resore memory when apps are removed, like a PC's defrag or something like that to free up memory? Please advise...
    From my experience constantly adding/deleting programs does slow down the device. What is the root cause I couldn't tell you for sure, but a fragmentation of device memory would be a most likely scenario. Only solutions I could give are:
    1. Upgrade to a new OS.
    2. Downgrade and upgrade to the same, that way all your app registrations and preferences stay intact.
    3. Wipe and reload the OS, then install your backup database and reregister everything.

At CrackBerry, I bring good search to life.
    Click Here To Be Banned*If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

06-09-10 11:55 AM
    One possible explanation why adding and deleting apps can slow your machine down is that it can cause the Content Store to grow, taking memory away from the OS and other apps. The BlackBerry OS uses the Content Store somewhat like Windows uses the Temp folder, and code modules can be orphaned there when applications are installed and deleted. Reloading the OS restores the Content Store to its minimum size. You can do that without reloading the OS by going to the Advanced Backup and Restore options in DM, selecting the Content Store in the right-hand window, then clicking the Clear button at the bottom of the window.
    06-09-10 03:54 PM
    Thx JeffH,

I gave that a try and it really did not change mem status. Did a battery pull to hard reset my Bberry. Mem is still low. I really hate to axe some apps or even go thru an OS reload, reload all 3rd party apps and re-register everything again
    06-09-10 05:00 PM
    Thx JeffH,

I gave that a try and it really did not change mem status. Did a battery pull to hard reset my Bberry. Mem is still low. I really hate to axe some apps or even go thru an OS reload, reload all 3rd party apps and re-register everything again
    I'm not sure if you've the latest OS for an S1 or not. The memory is similar to my 8900 I had, which required a battery pull once a day to scrub the build up in RAM. You never said that I recall what your total file free was, but if you do upgrade, clean as much out of the OS as possible. This guide does well, but doesn't take into accoint the languages that add themselves in certain applications. Keep for English en, and en US or GB, and toss the rest, along with any other apps you don't use. If it's an upgrade you won't have to reregister many 3rd party apps, the database takes care of that I have over 30 apps and only 4 I can think of I have to do every time. You can PM me if you want more detailed help.

Click Here To Be Banned*If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

06-09-10 06:37 PM
    I just put OS 5 on my 8330, not sure if there is a memory leak or not, but I have followed all the directions in removing programs and optimizing. We'll see what happens.
    06-09-10 07:06 PM
    Thx BigBadWulf,

Yes I'm using the latest VZW OS build which was loaded about 6 months ago following its release. I only loaded the english language in fear of waisted ram. I have elimiated all the IM apps and social apps along the way since they seen to consume memory. However I can't seem to delete the 5MB of default pics that came along with the OS as excess baggage.

After a fresh reset I'm only showing ~13.8MB. I use the default theme, have about 31 apps loaded and have avoided Weatherbug (seems to have memory leaks). I'm behind our Corp BES which IMO seems to eat memory. After a couple days of reading and deleting emails, I have to pulll the battery or my Bberry S1 locks up anyways. I have loaded the latest DM v5 and backup weekly JIC.

How can I PM ya? Any suggestions or links to follow as work arounds?
    06-10-10 08:47 AM
    I see you've figured out the PM. I'll cover the basics here. There's much you can do, since your BES admin let's you mod your OS. You loaded only English, but since it's a 5.0 OS, I'll bet there are other languages loaded you aren't aware of. You can check on the device, Options->Applications->Menu->Modules. A quick scroll, and you'll probably find files with languages other tha en or en US. Use Shrink-A-OS to remove them from your OS on the PC. There's a couple it won't remove, and those will have to be done by hand. Also the media samples will need to be removed by hand. Here's my guide, with the links you'll need:

The media sample files are these:
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_accessibility.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_480x360_03_b.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_480x360_03_b.co d
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_video_480x360_03_b.cod

Also the carrier theme can be removed, just don't delete any that aren't carrier themes.

Once you've removed all you can from the Java folder, run loader.eze, and it will take out the removed files.

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.
    Click Here To Be Banned*
    Drive a PwnCakes Hybrid. It'll keep your Onyx purring.

06-10-10 09:33 AM
    Another caveat: when you remove files from the Java folder, put them in a folder called Removed files. That way you can easily put them back if you inadvertently remove something critical. If you delete them, and can't recover them from the Windows trash can, you'll have to reinstall your OS to restore them.
    06-10-10 11:21 AM
    I can't seem to delete the 5MB of default pics that came along with the OS as excess baggage.
    Best guess, there is at least one picture saved in device memory. Use Media / Explore to view and remove the file. That will allow you to set the reserve to 0 Mb.
    06-10-10 12:09 PM
    Thx, but as I view them on my Bberry, these are flagged as read-only. I can't deleate them. Any work arounds.
    06-10-10 12:29 PM
    You are on a BES service, so there may be an IT policy that prevents you from doing this, but it is a simple matter using Explore.

Highlight the file, select Menu / Properties. You should be able to de-select the read only status then delete the image.
    06-10-10 12:40 PM
    Thx, but as I view them on my Bberry, these are flagged as read-only. I can't deleate them. Any work arounds.
    Unfortunately the sample image you're trying to access is flashed on the chipset, and there's no way I know of to remove it.

06-10-10 12:52 PM
    Unfortunately the sample image you're trying to access is flashed on the chipset, and there's no way I know of to remove it.
    Actually, all you have to do is use an old 4.7 firmware (downgrade) like .65~ and any file exploring program... Then upgrade back to your current OS
    06-17-10 03:15 PM
    Thx, When I was on the previous Bberry Storm 1 OS, I was able to delete them. When I upgraded to 5.0.0.328, they came back. Not sure how they could have been flashed on to the chip set??
    06-17-10 03:32 PM
    Thx, When I was on the previous Bberry Storm 1 OS, I was able to delete them. When I upgraded to 5.0.0.328, they came back. Not sure how they could have been flashed on to the chip set??
    Because on the 9700 its 9700 you can't remove it, nor find it on the OS. It was presumed to be a permanent flash on the chipset. When you couldn't remove it, because I am on WAP, and didn't see what device, I assuned the same. Now, with my hotrod OS, I would have known what device, but still wouldn't have known about the rollback solution.
    06-17-10 05:42 PM
    CrackMem is saying it cannot find an operating OS system, but my phone works fine using Desktop Manager... What do i do???
    07-03-10 11:54 AM
    CrackMem is saying it cannot find an operating OS system, but my phone works fine using Desktop Manager... What do i do???
    Install the OS for your phone on your PC. It has to be there for CrackMem to manipulate it. You can find the OS on your carrier's site, or RIM's. Desktop Manager is not the OS. The Help File included with CrackMem will tell you everything you need to know. If you are not comfortable downloading and installing your OS, then you should wait to use CrackMem. It's straightforward, but not necessarily intuitively obvious if you are new to the BlackBerry OS. The Faq file "How to increase your file free memory is another really good reference. CrackMem automates the advanced steps in that procedure.

07-03-10 12:03 PM
    Thanks for all the help guys!
    07-09-10 09:30 AM
    Thanks for all the info's
    07-29-10 07:37 PM
    Hi guys, I have an 8330 and have used Maxmem to remove a lot of stuff. I have a question regarding stock themes. If I delete the stock themes and have the stock precision zen for 8520 loaded also will that get removed too? Or should I activate it to preserve it before I use Maxmem to remove the stock themes. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by albee 1; 09-16-10 at 07:52 PM.
    09-16-10 07:48 PM
    Precision Zen or BBDimension Zen is used as the basis for most 3rd party themes. If you delete it, your custom theme won't work. If you inadvertently delete the active theme, or a theme the active theme depends on, the BlackBerry will boot up with black and white stick figure icons, somewhat reminiscent of an Apple Newton. You can restore functionality by restoring the deleted theme. Which is the point of my post. I haven't used MaxMem, but when it first came out, it actually deleted the items you were removing, instead of just taking them out of the loader folder. I don't know if it still works that way or not, but if it does, and you delete the stock themes, you'll have to reload your OS to get them back. If you want to try deleting them, I recommend you do it manually. Create a folder called Removed Items, manually move the themes into it, then run loader. If the BlackBerry crashes into the black and white screen, all you have to do to recover is put the themes back in the folder you removed them from and run Loader again.
    09-17-10 06:30 AM
1,205 ... 4445464748 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD