is their a way to move the pictures and ring tones that came installed on your phone to the media card? i have been unable to find a way.
    07-06-08 04:09 PM
    It is possible to capture a screen shot of any reinstalled image. I have done it for testing purposes.

Ringtones are a different story. I do not advise removing them. Profiles is known to have issues and the file size is nearly insignifigant.
    07-06-08 07:58 PM
    this is great,,, got me from 15 to 22,,, not nearly what some of you get, but i left maps, memo pad and password keeper on, I use those, have 5 emails hooked up, and a ton of entries in my address book, I also have a few extra programs, Yahoo and Radar to name a couple,,, With that all said my pearl has 13 fonts, each with like 5 styles,,, So there is 65 total fonts,,, is there a way to cut a few of these out, to get a tiny bit more available memory?
    07-08-08 06:13 PM
    That is a good result.

I have not looked into the fonts, but there are no identifiable font files. Most likely, they are all packed into one file.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-08 06:53 PM
    Yes, I am happy with what I have so far, special thanks to my buds here,,, In my Java folder i see 4 that are labeled font, but not knowing much about whats in each, or even what ones are loaded, or if theres a way to edit the file itself to make them smaller.

net_rim_font_european_sff.cod 126kb
    net_rim_font_latin_truetype.cod 684kb
    net_rim_font_semitic.cod 11kb
    net_rim_font_system.cod 47kb

I am also still fighting with service book, I have a number of them keep popping back up, and each time they do, create an icon. I know they do not take up next to nothing for space, but I have a few. How can I stop a service book from getting back on my phone. Beloe is just some of my unwanted books and theres maybe more, but haven't got a clue what the rest are.

Realtone Jukebox
    FaceBook
    Handango
    Magmic
    Digby
    Telenav
    Handmark PocketExpress
    BlackBerry Help
    Google Talk
    Yahoo Search
    07-08-08 08:40 PM
    That is interesting, I do not have those *_font files in my Java directory. I wonder if they are specific to the Pearl?

There is nothing you can do about the service book contents except delete or hide the results. They will be back.
    07-09-08 10:07 AM
    ok, this is weird, cant say what thing I did, but I can no longer access my about section to view my os and Java versions. Also had a long update from Alltel today,,, looks like they added the option for me to send SMS messages to email addresses, a step in the right direction to me getting MMS i guess.
    07-09-08 04:52 PM
    If you deleted Voice Activated Dialing from your OS, "Options About" no longer appears on the menu for OS versions 4.3 and above. It's a known issue. Alt-L.shift-h or Alt-EACE will give you the same info.
    Last edited by JeffH; 07-09-08 at 04:58 PM. Reason: clarity and additional info
    07-09-08 04:55 PM
    how do i do that,,,, I'm on a Pearl
    07-09-08 06:23 PM
    Instead of going to options/about... You press the key combo Jeff stated above!!

how do i do that,,,, I'm on a Pearl
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-08 11:46 PM
    well that is were I get confused,,,

Alt-L.shift-h ,,,, i have a left shift?

Alt-EACE,,, how do i press the second E if I"m still pressing it from the first?
    07-10-08 09:01 AM
    LOL, The suretype keyboard must have a comparable function, but only a Pearl user will know where to find it.

Your best bet might be the Users manual. You can download a copy directly from BlackBerry. It must cover functions on the suretype keypad.
    07-10-08 09:31 AM
    well that is were I get confused,,,

Alt-L.shift-h ,,,, i have a left shift?

Alt-EACE,,, how do i press the second E if I"m still pressing it from the first?
    hmmm... maybe the key combo Jeff provided is not correct. Either way... you can go into Options > Status as well
    07-10-08 09:32 AM
    hmmm... maybe the key combo Jeff provided is not correct. Either way... you can go into Options > Status as well
    Correct for QWERTY devices, just not for Pearls. Like Stoner said, surely a Pearl user will know or can look it up.
    07-10-08 09:34 AM
    Thank you all that contributed to this thread and to the original poster, Stoner. After completing the steps, I managed to go from 16mb to 28mb.
    How does this memory loss thing work? A week after doing this I have now dropped to 18mb and have lost some SMS text and call logs. What do I have to do to maintain memory (besides what has been written). I have a sd card, I erase my SMS and emails frequenly (daily), I end my conversations on BBM, I have not downloaded any new apps (I have very few, almost can see them all on one page), my homepage picture is shrunk for cell phone use, I only have one theme (AERO), and I followed all the steps, obvsly by the memory gained a week ago.

What's the deal, anyone can help me figure this out? Is there any other info you need to know?

Edit: Jesus, a battery pull and I get my memory back, this phone is prema-dona
    Last edited by inkwell; 07-10-08 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Solution
    07-10-08 09:55 AM
    How does this memory loss thing work? A week after doing this I have now dropped to 18mb and have lost some SMS text and call logs. What do I have to do to maintain memory (besides what has been written). I have a sd card, I erase my SMS and emails frequenly (daily), I end my conversations on BBM, I have not downloaded any new apps (I have very few, almost can see them all on one page), my homepage picture is shrunk for cell phone use, I only have one theme (AERO), and I followed all the steps, obvsly by the memory gained a week ago.

What's the deal, anyone can help me figure this out? Is there any other info you need to know?

Edit: Jesus, a battery pull and I get my memory back, this phone is prema-dona
    Just because you follow this guide does not mean you are protected from memory leaks. Be sure to close open applications!! Some third party apps cause memory leaks. Some Beta OS releases have memory leaks!

All of these things build up and it is good to do a battery pull to recover lost memory from leaks!! I usually do this daily or every other day! (Most times I do not do a Batt Pull, but I do Alt, R-Shift, Del)!!

*EDIT* : The purpose of this guide is to free memory to help prevent bad things from occuring when a leak happens, and it allows you to have enough device memory free to operate normally after experiencing leaks. In no way does this guide prevent leaks When you device drops below somewhere around the 12Mb threshold, all he11 can break lose and you could lose call logs and messages. Having free memory really helps this to not occur and prevents that occurance! Having 25Mb free, you would need a really drastic leak to drop below 12Mb!!
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 07-10-08 at 10:34 AM.
    07-10-08 10:32 AM
    ok, never mind,,, i was just having brain issues,,,, Stone's shortcut does work,,,, was trying to press all 4 letters at the same time, instead of pressing each one separately,,, alt+eace works ,,, and i hope this isn't jumping treads too much,,,,

ALT + NMLL = change signal display to number or bars. (Note: for Pearl users, to enter N � you have to enter the key BN twice � something similar that you would do on multi-tap)

Why doesn't that numbers that are displayed match the bar style signal strength?
    07-10-08 11:00 AM
    Why doesn't that numbers that are displayed match the bar style signal strength?
    I have seen a chart linking them, as I recall, 1 bar is -90 dBm down to -110. If you have anything about that, your good to go.
    07-10-08 12:09 PM
    Just because you follow this guide does not mean you are protected from memory leaks. Be sure to close open applications!! Some third party apps cause memory leaks. Some Beta OS releases have memory leaks!

All of these things build up and it is good to do a battery pull to recover lost memory from leaks!! I usually do this daily or every other day! (Most times I do not do a Batt Pull, but I do Alt, R-Shift, Del)!!

*EDIT* : The purpose of this guide is to free memory to help prevent bad things from occuring when a leak happens, and it allows you to have enough device memory free to operate normally after experiencing leaks. In no way does this guide prevent leaks When you device drops below somewhere around the 12Mb threshold, all he11 can break lose and you could lose call logs and messages. Having free memory really helps this to not occur and prevents that occurance! Having 25Mb free, you would need a really drastic leak to drop below 12Mb!!

Thanks for the response. But according to what you wrote, I should have been ok at 18mb. I wouldn't have even noticed a memory leak unless I didn't lose some info on my phone. I didn't have apps running, except for whatever normal operation is going on. The only thing I forgot to mention is, my WiFi stays on all day and night, I am always in a WiFi area unless driving. I know that drains the battery, but does it effect memory leaks?
    07-10-08 12:11 PM
    I should have been ok at 18mb. ...
    After a battery pull, you will see the maximum amount of free memory. As you use it, the memory will decrease in normal operation.

I find mine very stable about 4 Mb under the max, 27 Mb in my case.

However, I do not use SMS or accumulate Phone logs. That is where the problems with low memory show themselves.

Monitor your memory for a while. If you have set your Reserved Memory to 12 Mb, you want to stay above that limit. If you are falling under, we can look at more aggressive memory cleaning.

My Wifi is always on, Bluetooth too most of the time. The drain on the battery is minimal, I can go a couple days on an full charge.

PS, Great sig line, but can you make it Green?
    07-10-08 12:23 PM
    inkwell,,, on your lost messages,,, there is a setting to automatically delete them after X amount of time has passed,,, go messages, options, general options, keep messages for XXX.

For a reduced memory, on a daily I see my 22mb drop to 15,,, I can do either a battery pull or clean out my internet cache (yes i do a lot of surfing) go browser, BB key, options, cache operations, I clear history, cache and pushed content,,, that takes me back up over 20
    07-10-08 12:23 PM
    wow a couple days on a charge, have to do mine daily, otherwise day two, i will be s.o.l.
    07-10-08 12:26 PM

I didn't mention, my cell radio is Off.
    07-10-08 12:27 PM
    PS, Great sig line, but can you make it Green?
    Done

inkwell,,, on your lost messages,,, there is a setting to automatically delete them after X amount of time has passed,,, go messages, options, general options, keep messages for XXX.
    Thanks for the advice, I already knew about it and delete my messages often. I was shocked to see my memory loss, I just checked it yesterday and it was at 28mb and than today it starts acting up.
    07-10-08 02:15 PM
    What would be the updated software version for an 8130 Verizon?
    07-10-08 02:22 PM
1,205 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD