Thanks Jeff! I must have missed that.
    06-10-08 11:54 AM
    Few Questions:

1. Can TeleNav GPS Navigator be deleted w/out any problems? If I need directions I use Google Maps...

2. This "community" thing I dont know why it's on the fone, it's almost redundant bc it's almost the same thing as MediaNet...I know I dont use it, can this be deleted as well?
    Installing and removing programs is well behaved. If you installed it OTA, use the on device instructions. If you installed it from Applications Loader, that is the best way to remove them too.

Each carrier has the option of including stuff.... I would appreciate some feedback on the extras found on various carriers. Mine is T-Mobile, but I do not know what is installed on the others.
    06-10-08 06:07 PM
    Very nice update for the original information. Thanks.
    06-10-08 11:58 PM
    I am just getting back from Australia so I am a little late in upgrading the newest os for the 8830 so I will be following your steps as well to clear up some memory..but i was wondering is it better to backup and wipe the device before i upgrade it or will that not matter? Thanks.
    06-11-08 08:30 AM
    Do a manual backup just to be safe. I didn't wipe my device. When the Applications Loader asks if you want it to make an automatic backup, say yes. If it asks if you want to backup 3rd party apps (it didn't ask me), say yes. All my apps restored perfectly. Just remember that when you load a new OS, you go back to the factory default load. So if you'd removed stuff, you'll have to do it again.
    06-11-08 08:48 AM
    thanks...and by the factory default load you mean the preloaded wallpapers, languages, apps, etc. correct?
    06-11-08 09:27 AM
    which file is the camera shutter sound
    06-11-08 09:33 AM
    thanks...and by the factory default load you mean the preloaded wallpapers, languages, apps, etc. correct?
    Yes. I created a separate "removed items" folder for .196, so I could roll back to .176 if I had a problem, but it worked perfectly.
    06-11-08 09:33 AM
    right. sounds good. thanks alot jeff.
    06-11-08 09:35 AM
    which file is the camera shutter sound
    No camera on the 8830...
    06-11-08 09:36 AM
    No camera on the 8830...
    admittedly I was only following the first page convo and was wondering which file is the camera shutter sound (curve, pearl, etc)

06-11-08 09:49 AM
    The camear shutter sound must to be net_rim_bb_camera.cod and that is part of the core OS.
    06-11-08 10:07 AM
    Good deal. I'm glad you let me know that since Media Manager does seem a little overkill and it seemed odd that right now I have 2 different managers for the device installed.

Must have missed that in Stoner's excellent guide.

So tonight removing 4.2.2 and installing 4.3 custom with no Media Manager.
    thanks
    So I did that and got the exact same error. It's almost like U.S. Cellular is selling their new 8830's with newer apps on them then the software I can download has. I go to the download site on blackberry and go to U.S. Cellular and they only have the older version available.
    06-11-08 01:20 PM
    That is interesting. You would expect the posted OS to match what they are shipping, owners will need it eventualy.

Keep an eye on the 8800 Forum, that is were you will hook up with the latest OS available.
    06-11-08 01:54 PM
    i cant locate the spot on mt computer where the reaserch in motion/shared files/loader files would be

any help would be greatly appreciated
    06-11-08 02:15 PM
    Never saw this post. Allowed to me to dump a lot of stuff I don't need

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-08 02:20 PM
    i cant locate the spot on mt computer where the reaserch in motion/shared files/loader files would be

any help would be greatly appreciated
    It should be at c:\program files\common files\Research in Motion\shared\Loader Files
    06-11-08 02:26 PM
    but when i open my reaserch in motion folder all i get is a blackberry folder and a setup launcher that gives me an error message
    06-11-08 02:31 PM
    Then you didn't follow the path correctly.

c:\program files\common files\Research in Motion\shared\Loader Files

If you skip "Common Files" you'll end up in the Rim folder you describe.
    Last edited by JeffH; 06-11-08 at 02:41 PM. Reason: deleted repeated word
    06-11-08 02:39 PM
    Computers are pretty fussy that way.

That is why I suggest using Windows search to locate the file. Many users are not comfortable navigating the complex file system Windows uses. Search makes it easy, if it is there.
    06-11-08 03:17 PM
    haha thanks... ******** oversight on my part
    06-12-08 12:10 AM
    Excellent info - Followed initial removal and upgrade for my 8830 from Verizon. One thing I lost was my Google Maps favorites. I can live with that. Now if I can just find that seafood restaurant in situate Mass again.
    06-13-08 09:47 AM
    This was really helpful.. And pretty easy too..

Thanks
    06-13-08 11:54 PM
    Thank you, my goal is to make the process clear and simple so that users of any skill level can master the memory puzzle.
    06-14-08 09:59 AM
    I was trying to free up some memory (I'm using 4.5.0.42 BTW) by deleting the preinstalled wallpapers. In the Java folder there are no net_rim_bb_media files. There is, however, a net_rim_bb_medialoader_320X240_b.cod file. Would this be the wallpapers?
    06-14-08 10:41 AM
1,205 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD