Good deal. I'm glad you let me know that since Media Manager does seem a little overkill and it seemed odd that right now I have 2 different managers for the device installed.

Must have missed that in Stoner's excellent guide.

So tonight removing 4.2.2 and installing 4.3 custom with no Media Manager.
    thanks
    06-02-08 09:33 AM
    Sorry for the post in the wrong place but for some reason the forums say I don't have permissions to start new threads.

Question is, I deleted the sample video from the menu but the sample videos folder remains. is there a way to remove that or do I just use the application launcher to nuke that.
    06-02-08 10:57 AM
    You can't start a new thread here because this thread is in the FAQ forum. Only Mods can create FAQ threads, for quality control purposes. Replying to the thread as you did is correct.

I don't understand your question re the sample video folder, but by now you've probably figured it out yourself.

Continue replying if you need more assistance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-08 12:39 PM
    If i go into the media section under videos there are 3 folders:

all videos
    my videos
    sample videos

how do i remove the sample videos folder since i deleted the sample video out of there and it's just an empty folder
    06-02-08 02:09 PM
    You can't. Well, actually you can delete them from your PC in Mass Storage Mode, but the next time you open the Media app on your bb it will recreate them. So for practical purposes, you just have to live with the empty folders.

06-02-08 02:31 PM
    Does that go for the weird subfolders on my SD card as well?

Have a directory structure like this:

Blackberry
    -ringtones
    -music
    -videos
    -audio
    My Audio
    My Music
    My Videos
    My Ringtones
    06-02-08 04:43 PM
    Yes. If the sub-folders under Blackberry are deleted, the bb media app will recreate them the next time it's run.

06-02-08 04:54 PM
    now I know why this was hard to find (at least thru search) .... it's not a sticky.
    06-06-08 11:03 AM
    Our key resource is the CrackBerry 101 Memory Post. Adam included the link at the end of the post for further discussion.

It has no need to be stuck, besides that is a nuisance issue with the WAP Browser. Every time you open a sub-forum, you have to pgdn through all the stickies.

I keep it in my subscribed threads, usually open in a second browser tab so it is at my finger tips for a referral.

The way it works, every time it is posted in response to a question, 3 more guests will see it too. That is ratio of non posting to posting visitors, over 40,000 times per month.
    Last edited by Stoner; 06-06-08 at 03:34 PM.
    06-06-08 11:54 AM
    So I've had my blackberry for 2 weeks now, and my file free memory keeps getting full. Even if I delete my e-mails, text message, call logs it still gets full. I've deleted a few apps and that helped free up some space, but the only solution I've found is taking my battery out and putting it back in. I've done this 3 times so far and it helps a lot. Is there any way I can get the space without being required to take my battery out every so often? I have all my music and ring tones on my SD card, so I can't figure out what's taking up the space.
    06-06-08 09:11 PM
    After Stoner's help my Berry memory issues are a thing of the past. This is a must if you want to get rid of this idiotic problem so many new BlackBerry owners face. It sounds like a lot, but it's not. Man up and hook your Berry up to Desktop Manager and get rolling. Then get on with the fun of having of owning a BlackBerry.

06-06-08 09:31 PM
    Did you read the first post in this thread? Click First, and start with #1. That's everything you need to know.
    06-06-08 09:33 PM
    I just read stoners post regarding freeing up memory on my phone, i installed the software on my phone and deleted the preloaded languages along with the other applications that i didnt need. After the software ran and my phone rebooted. And now, when my phone restarted everything is back to factory settings..all my profiles returned to the original factory defaults. And when looking at my applications under option i only have 3 things

Blackberry 4.2 core applications
    Blackberry 4.2 system software
    Browser
    Home

Opera mini was deleted and aim was deleted along with some games. Did i bypass a step and mess anything up on my phone. I have a massive amount of free memory now. But i wasnt expecting to have to "re-personalize" my phone all over again. Any hints cbers?
    06-06-08 11:42 PM
    My crack just got really upset with me today and proceeded to delete all my messages and open bbm conversations, so I looked through this forum and deleted a few applications and also finally put in my media card.

Right now, my amount of files free is 7,117,636. Is this normal? Good? Bad? Will my poor little pearl freak out at me again anytime soon?

Thanks!
    06-07-08 02:40 AM
    being a crackberry noob and something of a geek, stoners advice was one of the first things i did to my phone before i started downloading a bunch of apps. right after following the steps he outlined my file free memory was over 30Mb before i started installing all the apps i wanted.

Thank you Stoner
    06-07-08 02:55 AM
    I just read stoners post regarding freeing up memory on my phone, i installed the software on my phone and deleted the preloaded languages along with the other applications that i didnt need. After the software ran and my phone rebooted. And now, when my phone restarted everything is back to factory settings..all my profiles returned to the original factory defaults. And when looking at my applications under option i only have 3 things

Blackberry 4.2 core applications
    Blackberry 4.2 system software
    Browser
    Home

Opera mini was deleted and aim was deleted along with some games. Did i bypass a step and mess anything up on my phone. I have a massive amount of free memory now. But i wasnt expecting to have to "re-personalize" my phone all over again. Any hints cbers?
    Thank you for the feedback.

Applications that are OTA only exit in device memory. Applications that are installed from Application Manager are carried forward.

I have updated the post with a caution for future users.
    06-07-08 09:35 AM
    My crack just got really upset with me today and proceeded to delete all my messages and open bbm conversations, so I looked through this forum and deleted a few applications and also finally put in my media card.

Right now, my amount of files free is 7,117,636. Is this normal? Good? Bad? Will my poor little pearl freak out at me again anytime soon?

Thanks!
    7 Mb is well into the problem level.

After a fresh start, I would like to see about 20 Mb of free space. That will provide plenty of workspace for the OS.
    06-07-08 09:38 AM

Device Data Preservation

The Advanced ... button in Application Loader presents you with a couple of options.

Unselecting both options will force a clean start rebuild. That is desirable in many cases to insure a clean restore from a known good backup.

Deleting all installed Applications will result in loosing programs installed OTA.

Select this option to keep your Device installed applications.

Last edited by Stoner; 06-07-08 at 11:40 AM.
    06-07-08 11:37 AM
    Applications that are OTA only exit in device memory. Applications that are installed from Application Manager are carried forward.
    I think that's also true if you've done a backup with DM after an OTA install. It seems the backup registers all apps with AM since they appear in the app list afterwards.
    06-07-08 12:26 PM
    Stoner, have you done anything with the newest OS out there? I installed it yesterday but I have lost BB maps. The string to look for in the LBS.alx file isn't there to edit. If you know of a fix, please pin me or let me know if/when you post it.

06-09-08 05:49 AM
    I uninstalled Sprint Music Store, the unit rebooted afterwards, and it's still there! Do I need to hard boot (pull battery)?

I did however get to sample their featured tunes which apparently are mostly gangsta rap, very educational. Such great attitudes displayed towards women, society, economics and creative vocabulary. Gives one hope for the future...
    06-10-08 10:04 AM
    Each carrier can include customized applications. T-Mobile, for example includes a Favorite 5 module that can be removed, if not used.

06-10-08 10:29 AM
    So after reading through the thread I couldn't find anything on how to unlock the preloaded pics...I am wanting to get rid of them. How might I go about this?
    06-10-08 11:04 AM
    That's covered in Post #3 in this thread, the Wallpaper section. Wallpaper is just another name for the preloaded pics. I don't know any way to unlock them, but you can remove them. Just be sure you copy the cod to a "removed items" folder so you can get it back it you need to.
    06-10-08 11:38 AM
    Few Questions:

1. Can TeleNav GPS Navigator be deleted w/out any problems? If I need directions I use Google Maps...

2. This "community" thing I dont know why it's on the fone, it's almost redundant bc it's almost the same thing as MediaNet...I know I dont use it, can this be deleted as well?
    06-10-08 11:47 AM
1,205 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD