Was VAD the only module not removed, or was none of the stuff removed? You did not execute "Put It Back" before running DM, did you?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-08 08:38 PM
    Was VAD the only module not removed, or was none of the stuff removed? You did not execute "Put It Back" before running DM, did you?

I did not click "put it back" with 99.9999% certainty. A lot of apps were removed by crackmem. My available memory was 34MB after the install.

Ive attached a screenshot of the directory with many VAD files and a T-Mobile myfaves file which should have been removed as well.
    12-25-08 10:28 PM
    Odd. Those files should have been removed. If CrackMem removed any modules, then you didn't "put it back." That would have restored all the modules, not just VAD. The file names in your screen shot match mine as nearly as I can tell, and mine were removed.
    12-25-08 10:50 PM
    I did not click "put it back" with 99.9999% certainty. A lot of apps were removed by crackmem. My available memory was 34MB after the install.

Ive attached a screenshot of the directory with many VAD files and a T-Mobile myfaves file which should have been removed as well.
    Ensure you have the latest version installed as well. I haven't used XP since Vista was available, but I know I had to use "Run As Administrator" by right clicking the icon and selecting that. I don't remember XP having this, but if it does, run it like that.
    12-25-08 11:19 PM
    The only thing I can think of is file name differences with os .102 or crackmem compatibility issues with .102.

12-26-08 08:28 AM
    When CrackMem is executed, the files are moved to a target directory.

Navigate to C:\program files\common files\research in motion\removed files

This directory contains separate directories for each OS CrackMem has touched.

If the VAD files are there and in your OS target directory, try it agian.
    12-26-08 12:56 PM
    I will try it again! I have a feeling they will be in "removed files" from using crackmem prior to this particular endeavor. Maybe that's why it didn't remove them, if it checks the removed directory prior to executing. Will let ya know.

12-26-08 01:46 PM
    I don't know how to say thanks! but really, thank you!
    12-26-08 04:31 PM
    I use memopad a lot to save to do lists etc.
    Is there a 3rd party app that is similar that will save data to my memory card allowing me to uninstall memopad?

My 2nd question is, I'm using beejiveIM, is there another multi client program that uses less memory?
    12-28-08 02:43 PM
    I use memopad a lot to save to do lists etc.
    Is there a 3rd party app that is similar that will save data to my memory card allowing me to uninstall memopad?

My 2nd question is, I'm using beejiveIM, is there another multi client program that uses less memory?
    Memo Pad is very efficent in it's memory use. I would take 10,000 memos of 100 characters to use a Mb of memory.

There may be third party applications, but you also have the option of WordToGo in v4.5xx device software. You can access and edit Word documents saved in media memory.

A Word document has a lot of overhead, you would be better off saving fewer but larger documents.

No idea about the IM clients. How big is the Beejive client module?
    12-28-08 03:47 PM
    I don't know how to say thanks! but really, thank you!
    Thank you for the kind words. A lot of members have shared in the creation and maintance of this thread, it is doing it job.
    12-28-08 03:48 PM
    Memo Pad is very efficent in it's memory use. I would take 10,000 memos of 100 characters to use a Mb of memory.

There may be third party applications, but you also have the option of WordToGo in v4.5xx device software. You can access and edit Word documents saved in media memory.

A Word document has a lot of overhead, you would be better off saving fewer but larger documents.

Thanks, I will stick with memopad then! I believe Beejive uses 670kb
    12-28-08 03:55 PM
    I had forgotten, Options / Advanced Options / Applications will show you modules, but not the size associated with them

For comparison, I have the iSkoot Skype client installed. The COD files are 307 Kb on my computer, and likely the same installed. ISkoot is not a multi client application.
    12-28-08 04:15 PM
    wow, thanks for the info!
    12-28-08 06:34 PM
    I don't have a shared folder?
    12-31-08 07:24 PM
    I don't have a shared folder?
    That means either 1) you mistyped the path or 2) you don't have the OS installed on your PC. The path is: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8830-v4.2.2.196_P3.0.0.84\Java

Missing the Common Files branch is a common mistake. Of course, your OS folder name will be different.

If you followed the path correctly, then you still need to install the Device OS as an app on your PC. Download the OS to your desktop, double-click the exe, and it will install on your PC. Now you will have a Shared folder.
    12-31-08 08:09 PM
    is there a way to remove shurtype, i dont use it
    01-03-09 02:18 AM

I found a program called BBnotepad that allows me to save all my memos to my memory card & uninstalled memopad. I now have more free memory.
    01-03-09 11:47 AM
    is there a way to remove shurtype, i dont use it

SureType is part of the core OS. It does not show up on the Application List, so it is not possible to identify the modules that make it up.

I have searched my Pearl OS directory, there are no files that are clearly identified as Suretype.

They could be identified by comparing to a non Pearl OS package of the same OS. The ones unique to Pearl will contain SureType.

Removing core modules is risky. Keep an intact OS at hand for roll back if needed.
    01-03-09 12:10 PM
    I found a program called BBnotepad that allows me to save all my memos to my memory card & uninstalled memopad. I now have more free memory.

Nature abhors a vacuum, so do software developers.
    01-03-09 12:11 PM
    SureType is part of the core OS. It does not show up on the Application List, so it is not possible to identify the modules that make it up.

I have searched my Pearl OS directory, there are no files that are clearly identified as Suretype.

They could be identified by comparing to a non Pearl OS package of the same OS. The ones unique to Pearl will contain SureType.

Removing core modules is risky. Keep an intact OS at hand for roll back if needed.

i looked through earlier too and didnt see anything and had hope you might know

thank you for the help
    01-03-09 12:36 PM
    Reed,

I currently have 12.3 mb free and know I should be able to get more. I have deleted unused languages, apps, cleared call log, cleared sms folder, etc. I can't seem to get the file free over 13-14mb. I have installed CrackMem but it says "No Operating Systems Found." I'm sorry if this has been asked - just very confused.

I have both Google Maps and BB Maps installed - should I get rid of BB Maps?
    Also, should/can I get rid of Email setup app, documents to go, password keeper?? My phone is for personal use (email, internet surfing, music (installed on memory card by the way), texting, stuff like that.

OS 4.5.0.77 is installed on my phone if that helps any

TY and everyone in advance for any info
    01-14-09 02:23 AM
    You have to download your device OS to your PC and install it as an app on the PC. Once you've done that, CrackMem will find it. You can get Verizon downloads here: BlackBerry Software Updates

Verizon has enabled the internal GPS for BBMaps, not Google Maps, so you may want to keep BBMaps.

Password Keep is a very small app. If you don't use it, you can delete it. Docs-To-Go is much larger. If you don't need to edit word, ppt, and excel files, you can delete it.
    01-14-09 06:27 AM
    "Remove unused Applications

From your BlackBerry home screen, Options / Advanced Options / Applications ...

Select a candidate for removal and press the Menu key to pop up: View Properties / Delete.

If you choose to delete anything, your device will restart and yield a higher File Free.

Do not interrupt the Re-Start."

What happens if I did this before I read this forum and I did interrupt the restart? Now I can't get rid of the stupid app!!!
    01-14-09 03:33 PM
    Jeff,

So I'm not actually updated my phone, just putting 4.5.0.77 on my laptop correct? I'm just wondering cause I see a "Upgrade" button and then at the bottom of the page I see a "Download Now" button. I'm doing all of this with my phone unplugged?

i'm just nervous that my phone is gonna get completely wiped some how.
    Sorry for the ?'s and my state of confusion.
    01-14-09 10:25 PM
1,205 ... 2728293031 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD