I wasnt sure if this was the case or not?

I am a Thermographer and with the evolution of technology we have discovered that with our cameras that more often than not a low end and high end camera, the only difference in features and functionality is some programming. The core components are all the same.

I was hoping that given the Torch 9800 was top of the line from Blackberry that this would also be the case.

I guess not in this instance.
    06-02-11 06:25 PM
    It is likely to be programming, but in low level firmware not accessible once the device has been factory configured.
    06-02-11 07:11 PM
    Why doesn't rolling out previous settings from your BB Desktop BackUp Manager restore OS settings? Someone did say that the settings in the boot loader etc. are finicky and yes, that answers the question. What I'm really asking is why aren't those settings backed up? What reasoning is there behind that?
    07-08-11 11:17 AM
    Why doesn't rolling out previous settings from your BB Desktop BackUp Manager restore OS settings? Someone did say that the settings in the boot loader etc. are finicky and yes, that answers the question. What I'm really asking is why aren't those settings backed up? What reasoning is there behind that?
    Might sound like an obvious question, but are you backing them up to start with? By default DM should back up your device when reloading software. If you're wiping prior to loading software and you skip backing up, there won't be anything to restore and you'll be starting from scratch afterwards. If you are doing backups, which I think you are since you only mention device settings, make sure to do a full/complete backup.

Personal preference is doing a manual backup before doing anything in addition to any automatic backups in the process. That way my device is restored before I leave the computer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-11 11:54 AM
    Might sound like an obvious question, but are you backing them up to start with? By default DM should back up your device when reloading software. If you're wiping prior to loading software and you skip backing up, there won't be anything to restore and you'll be starting from scratch afterwards. If you are doing backups, which I think you are since you only mention device settings, make sure to do a full/complete backup.

Personal preference is doing a manual backup before doing anything in addition to any automatic backups in the process. That way my device is restored before I leave the computer.

I'm with you on that. It makes complete sense. Always do a backup before exploring! I'm just confused about the BB turning into a brick. My understanding of doing a backup like that through the DM is so the user can just restore if something goes awry - ie: restoring from changed settings in the engineering UI

Sorry if I'm being dense about it LoL
    07-08-11 01:59 PM
    I'm with you on that. It makes complete sense. Always do a backup before exploring! I'm just confused about the BB turning into a brick. My understanding of doing a backup like that through the DM is so the user can just restore if something goes awry - ie: restoring from changed settings in the engineering UI

Sorry if I'm being dense about it LoL
    No no, you're fine; I see what you're after now. Unfortunately, if you alter anything in the engineering settings they will not be backed up or restored with a device backup. You're basically in what corresponds with the BIOS settings on a computer.

07-08-11 02:08 PM
    No no, you're fine; I see what you're after now. Unfortunately, if you alter anything in the engineering settings they will not be backed up or restored with a device backup. You're basically in what corresponds with the BIOS settings on a computer.

That's a fairly accurate explanation.

Some (not all) engineering screen settings are stored in the BB memory in a location separate from the data that is backed up and restored (possibly another partition? I don't know. App settings are the same. My theory is that RIM doesn't let these be backed up to help maintain their security, which is in a large part due to the inability to access the lowest levels of the device). Some get wiped out with an OS reload, and some get wiped out with as little as a battery pull. Nonetheless, treat EVERY setting as if it could be permanent, because it could be.
    07-08-11 02:13 PM
    does this still works with OS7? I tried it on my bold 9900 but it didn't work
    09-22-11 10:46 AM
    gahh! It doesn't work on 6.0.0.666. has anybody tried it on anything newer than 6.0.0.6xx?
    09-23-11 09:26 PM
    does this still works with OS7? I tried it on my bold 9900 but it didn't work
    Yes this does still work for the bold I did it on my 9930 same phone just US version. I used this calc here
    unlockingblackberry.co.uk/guides/mepnocable.html
    10-13-11 08:49 AM
    gahh! It doesn't work on 6.0.0.666. has anybody tried it on anything newer than 6.0.0.6xx?
    Escreens are accessible on 6.0.0.666, and on 6.0.0.668. I have never had any problem accessing the escreen.
    10-13-11 01:16 PM
    Is there a way to turn off the engineering screen and go back to the old screen when you press alt-shift-h ? I enabled the Engineering screen when I had to find out the MEP and now I cant seem to be able to go back!

Thanks!
    03-25-12 01:01 PM
    Is there a way to turn off the engineering screen and go back to the old screen when you press alt-shift-h ? I enabled the Engineering screen when I had to find out the MEP and now I cant seem to be able to go back!

Thanks!
    Nope, it'll time out once that happens. Usually within 24-48 hours.
    03-25-12 03:31 PM
    I believe you can move your berries date forward a few days and then back again to switch it off.
    03-26-12 07:16 PM
    Thanks guys! Yes, both of you were right - after 24 hours or s it was gone automatically :-)
    Cheers!
    03-26-12 11:05 PM
    Hi everyone, I have been using escreen to lock my service provider's 2G channel in my 9700, however, i couldn't do that in 9900, the whole layout of the escreen has been changed, its different

before was "mobile network engineering screens" > PLMN selection

then i could play around a bit over there, now i couldnt do anything with 9900

does anyone know?
    04-15-12 02:17 AM
    Hi everyone, I have been using escreen to lock my service provider's 2G channel in my 9700, however, i couldn't do that in 9900, the whole layout of the escreen has been changed, its different

before was "mobile network engineering screens" > PLMN selection

then i could play around a bit over there, now i couldnt do anything with 9900

does anyone know?
    Go to radio enginerring screen(3GPP) then 3GPP radio enginerring screen then select Operational Info, scroll down and you would see the PLMN selection, hope I was of help
    johnnytam likes this.
    04-20-12 01:46 AM
    Go to radio enginerring screen(3GPP) then 3GPP radio enginerring screen then select Operational Info, scroll down and you would see the PLMN selection, hope I was of help
    thanks for your reply,

But the PLMN selection cannot choose the channel
    before I could use the PLMN selection to lock in "Roaming" Channel, now I couldnt
    04-20-12 04:15 AM
    I meant there was a "Network List Follows"

505:03F (2G)
    505:01F (2G)

then I could select, 9900 seems without this function?
    or hiding somewhere?
    04-20-12 04:21 AM
    Can someone help me with an issue I've been having? It's driving me and assumably 1000's of others on the net nuts. Please skip the basic responses, because phone options will not allow you to do what I'm asking.

Bold 9930 User, I'm asking to never visually see (in my home screen search bar) the new email message indicator. I would like to have full access to email at my fingertips, but never be notified of its presence. At this moment this is not possible.

I was hoping someone could tell me the process of how to remove the code to initiate the message indicator on the home screen from the OS. Another idea I had was to replace the message inidicator icon with a completely transparent png. Both of these seem like very easy options to fix this bug with the phone. And that someone with advanced knowledge of how the OS works could easily give instruction to change. Through multiple web searches I've found no conclusion to this issue, but many people wanting the same results.
    melander likes this.
    04-23-12 12:20 PM
    Can someone help me with an issue I've been having? It's driving me and assumably 1000's of others on the net nuts. Please skip the basic responses, because phone options will not allow you to do what I'm asking.

Bold 9930 User, I'm asking to never visually see (in my home screen search bar) the new email message indicator. I would like to have full access to email at my fingertips, but never be notified of its presence. At this moment this is not possible.

I was hoping someone could tell me the process of how to remove the code to initiate the message indicator on the home screen from the OS. Another idea I had was to replace the message inidicator icon with a completely transparent png. Both of these seem like very easy options to fix this bug with the phone. And that someone with advanced knowledge of how the OS works could easily give instruction to change. Through multiple web searches I've found no conclusion to this issue, but many people wanting the same results.
    Since it's actually a feature, his would be a question to ask a theme developer, since they're the ones that tend to change the way things look.
    04-23-12 12:26 PM
    Since it's actually a feature, his would be a question to ask a theme developer, since they're the ones that tend to change the way things look.
    Disabling a feature would ruin the great experience. I wouldn't know if I had skipped an unread message without that.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    04-23-12 01:21 PM

This may not meet your request to "skip basic responses," but I am genuinely curious. When in Messages, I go to Options, Message Display and Actions....then I see a tickbox for "Display New message Indicator." Does unticking that option not give the desired result?

If not, then the transparent message icon is likely your best bet. You really can't edit OS code on BlackBerry.
    04-23-12 01:23 PM
    This may not meet your request to "skip basic responses," but I am genuinely curious. When in Messages, I go to Options, Message Display and Actions....then I see a tickbox for "Display New message Indicator." Does unticking that option not give the desired result?

If not, then the transparent message icon is likely your best bet. You really can't edit OS code on BlackBerry.
    Actually, the option right above that will produce EXACTLY what he wants - Display Message Count. Set it to "None".
    04-23-12 01:54 PM

Would appear so wouldn't it. However this useless customization setting only prevents the yellow envelope from having a red asterik on it. The person posting after you mentioned the other option available, which hides the number accompanying the envelope to the left. What I am looking for is actually hiding the envelope entirely, thereby having the access and notification options completely upto my control. I.e., I choose to access email when I want to check it, not be instantly notified upon its arrival.

Also the reason I used the word 'bug', is because it appears to me that unticking the "display message indicator" box resets itself after some pause of time. There is a myriad of user inquiries into this matter and this specific desire to 'disable instant email notification', you can see what I mean by typing some of these keywords into a google search. The only option presented that I read about would be to disable your phones' data capabilities for the period that you would not want access to the email- obviosuly not something I am interested in.

Seeing as how RIM has not released the 9900 or 9930 device profiles for BB Theme Studio, looks like my simple resquest is impossible for the time being. There is http://forums.crackberry.com/theme-d...torial-675948/ but it seems I am not saavy enough to understand everything about using themes to have the know-how to make one with my transparent icon idea.
    04-23-12 04:17 PM
164 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD