A lot of settings are actually OS specific, and aren't stored in the deep flash memory. That being said, the ones that will really f up your phone, well those would be permanent.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    yeah, I think the best policy is to just not mess with anything whose function you don't even know.
    11-10-10 10:16 PM
    Even if any of you manage to find something that improves performance I still wouldn't try it. There has to be some reason the people at RIM didn't make it that way in the first place. As meticulous as I am with things like this I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    11-10-10 11:22 PM
    Found something useful at least to those who hate the media player pop up warning for activating Audio Boost. Under Os Engineering Screen/Mediaplayer, scroll to Expansion press menu and set to on. I always use the Boost feature with my headphones and can't stand the popup. This will set the Boost on by default, no more popup! Thank god!

aaimbrogno likes this.
    11-11-10 09:44 AM
    Also found a HPF Filter. This is a High Pass Frequency Filter and the parameters can be changed. Haven't investigated yet. Will post back with results.

11-11-10 10:33 AM
    *grabs two bottles of Guinness, two bowls of pepperbellies, grabs favourite binkie from kids' bed*

OK, boys......ready for the show!!!!

Hee, hee....SD, I've got $20 riding on the fourth message of page four....

okay you owe me 20$ bucks. but i'll make it easy on just get me two Nub Cigars so i can enjoy this show with some Macallan Scotch...
    selltech88 likes this.
    11-11-10 11:17 AM
    Yeah mj, they told Columbus the world was flat too. I'm sure there were plenty of people waiting for him to fall off the edge of the earth. Be grateful not everyone believes what they are told.

11-11-10 11:33 AM
    Yeah mj, they told Columbus the world was flat too. I'm sure there were plenty of people waiting for him to fall off the edge of the earth. Be grateful not everyone believes what they are told.

Listen I am the first one in line for all things hackery. I've rooted my phone, my wife's phone, a few co-workers phones. I carry a JailBroken iPod.... i have no problem with hackery.

adb shell
    # mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblk3 /system
    That command line alone unlocks all of Androids read only (base applications files to individual deletion or modification... trust me i am all for things of the hackery arts...

The problem with Blackberries, is you cannot flash a Recovery image. you cannot fool proof the OS, you cannot do a Nandroid Backup. With Androids and Apple if something goes AWOL and you can get into Recovery Mode. And restore the OS. THIS is not possible with blackberries. If you mess up the Bootloader, the BIOS, the HDD, which ever you want to call it your phone is screwed.

I am by all means for you guy tinkering with the OS. I've done it quite a few times. I found out how to easily unlock the ATT wi-fi lock, so non att phones can get on public att wi-fi routers. I found out how to easily unlock vendor themes, that works across the platform (regardless of the phone you are using).

But messing with the engineering screens on a closed source device is more risk then i think some people are willing to venture with.
    Last edited by mjneid; 11-11-10 at 01:27 PM.
    11-11-10 12:02 PM
    Nbt questioning your ability mj, if we nuke them so be it. It's not the end of the world. I would have another in 20 minutes. I realize the risks, but we quit learning when we become afraid of making mistakes. I have already eliminated a thorn in my side by risking being nuked. Not going to stop now.

11-11-10 12:16 PM
    Looks like i have to do a lot of reading before i decided to do something with my Tour
    11-11-10 12:50 PM
    The HPF filter acts like an 8 band graphic equalizer. Starting with the lowest to highest. 1K being the midrange. Affecting only the external speaker. Changing these parameters however does not have a very dramatic effect because we are dealing with a narrow bandwidth of frequency to begin with. It appears the larger the negative value is, the more of that particular frequency is allowed to pass through. And the larger the positive number is, the less frequency of that band is allowed to pass. As with the Expansion setting to on, all parameters return to factory default after a reboot. But upon rebooting, I still turned the expansion on. Hate that warning pop up!
    The Equalizer presets which normally works for headphones only can be activated and used for the external speaker from the escreen. However it is a temporary pleasure, returning to default off when the media player is shut down. Bummer! I will continue looking and fiddling much to the chagrin of my peers here. If I nuke it you can all have a good laugh and scream I told you so. If I don't, I will have learned something new! Now it's time to look at the light sensor settings! Haha

11-11-10 01:04 PM
    I am by all means for you guy tinkering with the OS. I've done it quite a few times. I found out how to easily unlock the ATT wi-fi lock, so non att phones can get on public att wi-fi routers. I found out how to easily unlock vendor themes, that works across the platform (regardless of the phone you are
    using).
    LOL
    Last edited by lucky45; 11-12-10 at 04:11 PM.
    11-12-10 04:08 PM
    Unlock other carrier themes? There's nothing to unlock there, the alx file tells your phone what to install and what to not. All you do is edit BlackBerry.alx. That's not really unlocking.
    And it's easier to just use bbsak.

11-12-10 04:10 PM
    Has anyone had luck with the "hack" to get better call quality?
    11-17-10 03:31 PM
    Has anyone had luck with the "hack" to get better call quality?
    Unfortunately it's not an available option in my 8330.

11-17-10 04:59 PM
    I like the better call quality
    11-17-10 06:29 PM
    Unlock other carrier themes? There's nothing to unlock there, the alx file tells your phone what to install and what to not. All you do is edit BlackBerry.alx. That's not really unlocking.
    And it's easier to just use bbsak.

so if you unlock the carrier themes you can delete for example t-mobile theme? Then I would have the option to do 3G only on my carrier network (telkomsel)?
    11-27-10 06:36 PM
    so if you unlock the carrier themes you can delete for example t-mobile theme? Then I would have the option to do 3G only on my carrier network (telkomsel)?
    Yes it can be deleted, be aware that themes have no affect on network technology however.
    11-27-10 07:08 PM
    The 3G only option is only on phones that have strictly HSPA networks. Since T-mobile in the usa is still EDGE/HSPA(+) that will not be physically possible. One: the coding in the engineering screen will not allow it and two: you would lose signal completely since you would have EGDE turned off.

ButLong likes this.
    11-28-10 10:14 AM
    hello all

what i would like to do is change the start up screen. any ideas???
    12-02-10 12:16 PM
    I would leave that alone....
    12-02-10 12:47 PM
    Go Allbee1! I will watch quietly on the edge of my seat as you blaze the path to hotrodding our BB's! For now...I will remain frightened of sailing off the edge of the world! God Speed, fearless test pilot! God Speed!
    12-02-10 01:10 PM
    Go Allbee1! I will watch quietly on the edge of my seat as you blaze the path to hotrodding our BB's! For now...I will remain frightened of sailing off the edge of the world! God Speed, fearless test pilot! God Speed!
    Funny jcagg, I did find out some interesting things about playing in the Os screen. All the media player settings you can manipulate all revert to default after a reboot. So don't be afraid to play to your hearts content. Being able to turn Expansion on and activating the EQ for the external speaker is a definite plus.
    The Expansion feature is not the Audio Boost. It is more of a Spatial Expander. Add it to the active EQ and your speaker never sounded so good. Unfortunately the Eq deactivates as soon as it moves to the next track! Bummer. For some reason the Expansion stays on.
    I have not ventures into the Lighting but have read elsewhere that it is possible to get the screen brightness below 10. Going there soon, I'll post back.

dadhak likes this.
    12-02-10 06:32 PM
    Would this work with os6?

12-05-10 03:33 AM
    Would this work with os6?

Yes, it works...
    12-05-10 06:02 AM
    so... would getting rid of the Carrier Theme get rid of those links to applications that are on the phone (like trial games and T-Mobile TV) ?
    12-09-10 04:15 PM
164 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD