I have found out how to enable EVRC-B and disable the event log from filling up and slowing your blackberry down.
    You can disable Event Log by going into event log (ALT + LGLG) and pushing the Menu key, you have there the option to disable it. No need for eScreen.
    funnykindel likes this.
    11-09-10 04:08 PM
    You can disable Event Log by going into event log (ALT + LGLG) and pushing the Menu key, you have there the option to disable it. No need for eScreen.
    That only hides the event log, it will still continue to log events...
    11-09-10 04:12 PM
    *grabs two bottles of Guinness, two bowls of pepperbellies, grabs favourite binkie from kids' bed*

OK, boys......ready for the show!!!!

Hee, hee....SD, I've got $20 riding on the fourth message of page four....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 11-09-10 at 04:19 PM.
    funnykindel likes this.
    11-09-10 04:17 PM
    It does seem to improve voice quality, but there's a reason it's not enabled....according to this thread:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/70956

The cell tower you're on has to support the codec if it's enabled by default, otherwise you can't make any phone calls.
    Everywhere I have been including 2 cities in florida with EVRC-B enabled, all calls work like they should on sprint.
    11-09-10 04:18 PM
    Ok ok, Ill spill the beans folks, if you want to learn my 2 hacks that work, and work well I will tell you
    11-09-10 04:20 PM
    That only hides the event log, it will still continue to log events...
    No, it clears them...'M fairly certain....unless I'm wrong....i

11-09-10 04:21 PM
    Hack 1

Enable EVRC-B

ALT+SHIFT+H

Click Radio Engineering Screen (multi)

CDMA Radio Engineering Screen

Test Call Screen

EVRC-B

Click the BB key go to Enable EVRC-B

Your Device will reboot, and then when you go back into the menu, you will see it is toggled to enable, and voice quality will be much better.
    Last edited by MikeMcDaniel; 11-09-10 at 04:27 PM.
    El Bori and saintsfan7627 like this.
    11-09-10 04:23 PM
    No, it clears them...'M fairly certain....unless I'm wrong....i
    It will clear the log, but there is an option to hide the events, which that is exactly what it does, hide them. It will still continue to log events. The Event Log is simply a diagnostic tool and can be completely removed from the OS if you wish.
    11-09-10 04:23 PM
    Hack 2

Disable Event Logging

Alt+Shift+H

At the Main E-Screen select Display Event Log

Click the BB key go to Options

Scroll down to the checked boxes

Click the BB key

Hide All Types

Back key

Save

Your done, now when you check the Event log it will be empty, and no new events will populate..

One thing is that if you install any new apps, they will automatically start event logging, and you need to go back in and uncheck the boxes and save to prevent them from logging.
    El Bori likes this.
    11-09-10 04:27 PM
    If you want something more harmless to play with, go to Options, Status and type ' test ' (just the four letters - test). You won't see the text on-screen but you will now get to a diagnostic screen.

I know this works from OS 4.5 onwards but even though the tets comand works the screen is blank (for now) under OS 6.

Have fun.
    11-09-10 04:27 PM
    Ok folks, as some have tried to explain, and as the author of the original blog explains, you CAN brick your BB by doing this, PLEASE proceed with extreme caution. If you have no idea what you are doing, then DON'T mess with this!!!! That being said I am going to move this to the How To and FAQ Forum.

I also edited the first post.
    11-09-10 04:35 PM
    Hack 2

Disable Event Logging

Alt+Shift+H

Click the BB key

Hide All Types

Back key

Save

Your done, now when you check the Event log it will be empty, and no new events will populate..

One thing is that if you install any new apps, they will automatically start event logging, and you need to go back in and uncheck the boxes and save to prevent them from logging.
    Like SD said, Event Log doesn't take up a whole lot of space, so if it's REALLY bugging you that much why not just install the OS without it? Not only will it not be filling up, it won't even be taking space. >.<
    11-09-10 05:49 PM
    Hack 2

Disable Event Logging

Alt+Shift+H

Click the BB key

Hide All Types

Back key

Save

Wrong. Listen you what you just said; 'Hide All Types' That is why when you view the Event Log it will be empty, cause you hid them. I'll say it again, it will still continue to log...
    11-09-10 06:44 PM
    Not to jack your thread Mike, but http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/adva...et-use-512322/
    Lol, PK is just as cautionary on there as he is on here - and with good reason, I've talked to two people on here who told me they totally f'd their berry up messing around with this stuff.
    11-09-10 08:18 PM
    Old news, but I still keep it open because of the built-in task manager for killing unresponsive apps
    Same here - I haven't found anything else in there that's really worth the effort, although I did enable Mike's voice quality improving trick - haven't tested it yet though, I don't use my phone for calls
    11-09-10 08:28 PM
    11-09-10 08:32 PM
    *ducks for cover*

Sorry, this does nothing to help a botched engineering screen failure.
    11-09-10 08:41 PM
    *ducks for cover*

One more reason why people shouldn't be messin' with stuff.

EDIT: Hopefully that really discourages the n00bs out there... err, in here. XD
    Last edited by CASH; 11-09-10 at 09:09 PM.
    11-09-10 09:04 PM
    Same here - I haven't found anything else in there that's really worth the effort, although I did enable Mike's voice quality improving trick - haven't tested it yet though, I don't use my phone for calls
    *ducks for cover*

Very true, this should also be added to the first post..engineering screen settings are saved in firmware..that is...an area of flash memory that OS installations don't even touch, so any botched settings won't be resolved by loading a new OS
    11-10-10 07:04 AM
    Very true, this should also be added to the first post..engineering screen settings are saved in firmware..that is...an area of flash memory that OS installations don't even touch, so any botched settings won't be resolved by loading a new OS
    +1, I've messed up COD files and OS installs a hundred times, and wiped my BB and brought it back, but I would never touch the engineering screen.

A friend of mine tried to 'turn up his radio strength' , and now has a lovely hockey puck in the shape of a BlackBerry Tour. Proceed with caution folks...
    11-10-10 07:26 AM
    A lot of settings are actually OS specific, and aren't stored in the deep flash memory. That being said, the ones that will really f up your phone, well those would be permanent.

11-10-10 09:18 AM
    How do you do from Storm touch screen?

11-10-10 09:37 AM

Hold down the Back button and tap the top corners left right left right.
    11-10-10 10:50 AM

Make sure you know what you are doing before you change something.
    11-10-10 12:15 PM
    Subscribed
    11-10-10 09:47 PM
164 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD