Want to know how to hack your blackberry? Look no further, follow this link and have fun!

How to: Hack your Blackberry | GizmoFusion

PROCEED WITH CAUTION THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR BLACKBERRY BEYOND REPAIR!

So our member's don't have to go anywhere to see the blog I have copied it here, BUT I have left the link and full credit of course goes to GizmoFusion. -pk ......

Being a nerd, I am always looking for ways to crack into things and access an additional layer of functionality. This led me to research where come to find out, there is a way to accomplish this on the Blackberry platform.

First off, I have to be honest, I am by no means an expert at hacking Blackberries, and any setting you decide to monkey around with after I tell you how, please do at your own discretion. It is completely plausible that if you tweak or change the wrong setting you could end up with a pretty paper weight.

Now that my disclaimer is out of the way, lets get to it, shall we?

Hidden deep beneath the Blackberry OS is the Engineering Screen or the E-Screen. This is the place where the engineers hang out, fly kites and take walks on the beach. RIM knows that if this menu was readily accessible, people would start bricking phones left and right, so as it stands, there are a couple of steps you need to complete to access the E-Screen.

Ready? I thought so…

1.First things first, you need to access the “Help Me” screen. Press Alt+Shift+H from the home screen. Welcome to the “Help Me” screen, this is a cover up for the engineering screen that is below.
    2.To access the E-Screen you need to use the information on the “Help Me” screen and input this information into a special code generator which will generate the secret code needed that is unique to your Blackberry.
    3.Use the code generator and instructions found here.
    4.Once you have access to this menu, every time you press Alt+Shift+H you should go into the E-Screen without having to use the code generator.
    5.Have fun, who knows what kind of trouble you can get into in there. Leave us a comment if you find out how to do something cool.
    Last edited by pkcable; 11-09-10 at 04:41 PM. Reason: adding disclaimer! and blog text
    NursingNinja and rtoritte like this.
    11-09-10 10:22 AM
    Like I have said before, getting in is old news. Changing what, to what. And at what cost or benefit? Let us know if you get any parameter settings and what they improve. Otherwise it may as well be instructions for setting up a latrine written in martian.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-10 10:45 AM
    I have found out how to enable EVRC-B and disable the event log from filling up and slowing your blackberry down.
    canadiandave likes this.
    11-09-10 10:50 AM
    The engineering screen is used to fine tune operating parameters in the prototype modes. It has access to the setting, but it has no way to roll back to normal is something goes wrong.

Use it with extreme caution. Before you make any changes, record the defaults.
    malgpz900 likes this.
    11-09-10 11:01 AM
    I can just imagine what comes next...."Dude, I bricked my Berry!!!"

anon(3732391) and SlcCorrado like this.
    11-09-10 11:05 AM
    I have found out how to enable EVRC-B and disable the event log from filling up and slowing your blackberry down.
    That's a good start Mike, please keep us posted with any other discoveries! And related improvements in performance.

11-09-10 11:06 AM
    My berry is sick from messing with that crap...just joking but Reed said it best.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Thnx, �Tripster�

sietse_harteveld likes this.
    11-09-10 11:09 AM
    Yep, been in there before.

The only thing I want to change in my Pearl, but haven't actually tried, was to change the default settings for when the screen dims or brightens. Sometimes the screen dims to the next lower setting when there is still enough light around that I want the screen brighter. I then have to hold the phone higher and angle it more toward the nearest light source to force it back brighter. I haven't studied the settings and ranges enough to figure it out. But one day I will.

11-09-10 11:12 AM
    For those interested in EVRC-B here is a link defining it.

Enhanced Variable Rate Codec B - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

El Bori likes this.
    11-09-10 11:12 AM
    After enabling EVRC-B my call quality sounds like landline
    El Bori likes this.
    11-09-10 11:39 AM
    Even with the Event Log full, it does not take up much memory at all...
    11-09-10 12:23 PM
    My berry is sick from messing with that crap...just joking but Reed said it best.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Thnx, •Tripster•

Close. What I mean is, that is the way the Research in Motion engineers fine tune performance and optimize it for normal use. Changing screen brightness or other settings will likely result in more power consumption or other trade offs.

I have used it to enable features on my own BlackBerry. My carrier supports those features, my BlackBerry does too when correctly provisioned.

11-09-10 12:55 PM
    After enabling EVRC-B my call quality sounds like landline
    So please tell us which screen and what parameter to change. And has it effected your bb's data?

11-09-10 01:07 PM
    Old news, but I still keep it open because of the built-in task manager for killing unresponsive apps
    11-09-10 01:24 PM
    It does seem to improve voice quality, but there's a reason it's not enabled....according to this thread:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/70956

The cell tower you're on has to support the codec if it's enabled by default, otherwise you can't make any phone calls.
    11-09-10 01:34 PM
    There is an option in those screens to change how your phone picks up wifi so you don't get the "Blackberry Infrastructure Error" (Grey Wifi Icon when connected to BIS) but that drains the battery pretty fast. I wouldn't recommend it.
    11-09-10 01:41 PM
    Now this is what I wanted to hear were results!

11-09-10 01:45 PM
    Just got into that menu..
    UTMS Supported Bands..
    I can select..

isnt it the place to change the band ? heheeh

---
    Edit.. I think not.. the AWS is not in there.. but.. why can we remove band from there?
    only 1,2,5 seem to be active.. not the 6 ?
    Last edited by froussy; 11-09-10 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Additional info
    11-09-10 01:53 PM
    *grabs a Guinness and a pipe and begins to watch this thread*

11-09-10 01:59 PM
    *grabs a Guinness and a pipe and begins to watch this thread*
    zactly... like... RIM doesn't have any engineers smart enough to have found this screen and gone through every setting a bajillion times on multiple test beds. Maybe they couldn't find enough Blackberries to be able to really find those magic combinations that will make your phone really work like its supposed to.

Waiting for the smoke to come out...
    11-09-10 02:19 PM
    zactly... like... RIM doesn't have any engineers smart enough to have found this screen and gone through every setting a bajillion times on multiple test beds. Maybe they couldn't find enough Blackberries to be able to really find those magic combinations that will make your phone really work like its supposed to.

Waiting for the smoke to come out...
    Physical Blackberries nothing. I'm sure they have Computer Emulators and have tested every possible combination possible. with the push of one button.

funnykindel likes this.
    11-09-10 02:27 PM
    Just like redline on production sports cars is set actually 10% lower than reality, to protect them from lame consumers. I would imagine there are built in fail safes that if changed could improve overall performance. Hey weirder things happen all the time.

11-09-10 02:43 PM
    Just like redline on production sports cars is set actually 10% lower than reality, to protect them from lame consumers. I would imagine there are built in fail safes that if changed could improve overall performance. Hey weirder things happen all the time.

Electronics are a little different then Engines. I am all for all things hackery. In fact i've hacked with my Blackberry ROMS ALL THE TIME. and i mess with my android OS all the time. But you are tampering with the HDD of the phone, and risking a removal of the entire bootloader system....

like i said i'll just set back and enjoy this thread.

funnykindel likes this.
    11-09-10 02:48 PM
    like i said i'll just set back and enjoy this thread.
    Same here. Anyone want to bet on what page of this thread the first bricked BB will be on?
    funnykindel likes this.
    11-09-10 03:18 PM
    I used hash codes on my other brands of phone, depending on the carrier it was similar to "#*# <some number> #", the number represented a function. It might goto an engineering screen, the phone info screen, or a reset/clear the phone screen. Didn't find anything like this on the BBs.
    11-09-10 04:04 PM
164 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD