So it seems Carriers Release OS updates specific to Their BlackBerry Devices..
    Do they Customize an OS that was released from RIM? who determines the build numbers? Who Determines which Carrier will get to release each build ?

I take it a Build release by Rogers may not be fully optimized to work on a T.Mobile phone..

05-22-12 05:49 PM
    I'd like to know, too. Subscribed.
    05-22-12 06:01 PM
    So it seems Carriers Release OS updates specific to Their BlackBerry Devices..
    Do they Customize an OS that was released from RIM? who determines the build numbers? Who Determines which Carrier will get to release each build ?

I take it a Build release by Rogers may not be fully optimized to work on a T.Mobile phone..

RIM supply OS builds to carriers for testing on the devices they supply.
    Carriers don't customise OS builds.
    RIM determine the build numbers.
    The carriers determine which OS builds to officially release, and for which devices.
    A Rogers OS will work fine on a TMO device, and vice-versa.
    05-22-12 07:39 PM
    Ok, so in that case some Carriors just don't have the technical team to realease updates ? Why doesn't all the Carriors release updates when rim send it over to them for testing.

Also I had a Verizon 9650 and when I loaded a Sprint OS6 it was a nightmare, had to drop back down to Verizons OS6.
    05-22-12 07:44 PM
    BTW,. Do the carriers actually fix any issues ? Or do they just test the OS rim gave them and release it if it seems stable?

And why on earth doesn't rim release change logs for OS updates ?
    05-26-12 04:22 PM
    I wonder why RIM doesn't just do the testing on the various devices. Why do the carriers do the testing? And what do they actually test? The performance of the builds on their individual networks? And how extensively? It's not like these carriers are UL or something ...
    05-26-12 04:28 PM
    I will definitely agree with you and say RIM should be the ones to do the testing. With all of the time the carriers keep us in Limbo and then they still release something that is buggy, or break something that already works. No one knows the ins and outs of a phone other then the company that makes them correct?
    05-27-12 02:05 AM
    Carriers test an OS on their devices, on their network, with their apps... RIM cannot do that
    05-27-12 05:40 AM
    Carriers test an OS on their devices, on their network, with their apps... RIM cannot do that
    Ok, so all they do is test ?? as i was asking, do they actually have to capability to Tweak/change the OS to their needs ?
    Last edited by AwJm; 05-27-12 at 09:20 AM.
    05-27-12 08:23 AM
    That's a good question, and I hope not. I would presume that would be a security issue. The carrier could build Carrier IQ or the likes of it right into the OS! That said, I would think that they just approve/disapprove its release.
    05-27-12 09:02 AM
    Ok, so all they do is test ?? as i was asking, do they actually have to capability to Tweak/change the OS to their needs ?
    No. RIM compile all the OS builds, but carriers can request changes to suit their needs.

TMO and AT&T are forever doing that... 7.1.0.284 'tweaked' for TMO and 7.0.0.576 'tweaked' for AT&T are 2 examples.
    05-27-12 06:44 PM
    No. RIM compile all the OS builds, but carriers can request changes to suit their needs.

TMO and AT&T are forever doing that... 7.1.0.284 'tweaked' for TMO and 7.0.0.576 'tweaked' for AT&T are 2 examples.
    Kool,.. And loading those on another carrier should be ok as you said...

I reading that this will be solved in BB10 as will will control the OS updates and Bugs, and it won't mess with the carrier..
    05-28-12 08:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD