Unfortunately, I still get "Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation."

Reed, any ideas man?
    That has cropped up often enough. The message implies the USB port is not ready when it attempts to reconnect.

Some members have reported success after trying multiple times or by switching to a different computer.
    04-30-09 10:09 AM
    Thank you thank you thank you!!!!
    i was so afraid, i had just bricked my phone!!!

Thank you very much, I know first hand, what it feels like to hold a brick and the relief to seeing it come back to life.
    04-30-09 10:12 AM
    HELP!!!
    I "bricked" my pearl when trying to upgrade it...
    I did everything that you have said above.. and my pc still doesnt recognize USB device connected... if i try with other blackberries it does recognize them.. my bb is still blinking twice!!
    what should I do next??
    04-30-09 08:34 PM
    thanks! this method works for me !!!
    05-01-09 05:48 AM
    Thanks, I'll give these instructions a try
    05-03-09 12:46 PM
    Here's my contribution to the madness:
    • 12pm yesterday: Jumped out of the car, of course with my BB on my lap. Of course next to a huge puddle. The BB was in the puddle for ~2 or 3 seconds before my brain caught up with the situation.
    • 1pm: done with lunch. Phone is still on, hear a couple Texts come in, but no response from any keys.
    • 130pm: Got half my alphabet back, but trackball and Send/End keys still dead.
    • 3pm: Got home, took the hair dryer to the phone a couple times over the next few hours while also trying not to overheat it.
    • 8pm: can now use most of my alphabet again, back key and trackball. Texting and answering calls and etc seem to work with a little patience and the long-route (menu - call, rather than just Send button) - Tedious but overall the phone actually WORKS!!
    • 10pm: Lo and behold, phone starts randomly turning off. On some occasions, would give me the Auto-Off pop up, "Now turning off your device, press any key to abort." I checked to make sure, I still had Auto On/Off disabled so it's not on any actual schedule. The other times, phone would just reboot or turn off with no message. Since End/Power key still isn't 100% the only way to turn it back on at this point is battery pull. I probably pulled my battery out 10 times before giving up and just leaving it off.
    • Today/This morning: Could get phone to stay on long enough to connect to DM & luckily backed up all my crap. Phone still randomly turns off with "Now turning off your device" auto-off message. During DM and AppLoader, it will stay on if being accessed ("Connected to Desktop") - if not actively connected it still does random shut downs.
    • Next: Ran the command line procedure as suggested. AppLoader launches as described, my screen goes white, then to 507 error, then AppLoader finishes OS install, I get the success! message. BB reboots, spends abnormally long on the Hour Glass screen - I actually made it from the instructions on page 1, to the very last page of this thread looking for more clues, in the time that the Hour Glass screen was churning. Finally...
    • On Start: Reverted back to generic theme, but then! Got the "Your device is scheduled to turn off now haha *******!" message again and it shut off! While I was just typing these last 2 steps, my BB rebooted and went straight to Set-Up Wizard, I have no fricken Contacts, etc as you might expect on a new install. Everything looks new and plain and stupid but I'm a little bit concerned with the fact that while everything else appears to act as you would expect from a fresh OS install, the Auto Off (or something of the sort) and a Random Off is still tripping out.

05-03-09 03:22 PM
    It sounds like you were fortunate enough to retrieve it before any serious damage occurred.

I suspect it's shutting down because of the battery. Inspect the 4 Gold contacts and clean them with a pink rubber eraser. Replace the battery and attach the charger, does it indicated charging? If not, the battery may be damaged and need to be replaced.

As you have noted, this technique rolls you back to out of the box condition. Once you get your power situation streight, use Restore to replace all of your contacts and other data.
    05-03-09 03:34 PM
    It sounds like you were fortunate enough to retrieve it before any serious damage occurred.

I suspect it's shutting down because of the battery. Inspect the 4 Gold contacts and clean them with a pink rubber eraser. Replace the battery and attach the charger, does it indicated charging? If not, the battery may be damaged and need to be replaced.

As you have noted, this technique rolls you back to out of the box condition. Once you get your power situation streight, use Restore to replace all of your contacts and other data.
    I will definitely check the contacts and battery, maybe that is causing the random reboots? The phone landed face down and actually seemed to have very little if any water under the back plate, it mostly seemed in the keys/trackball/screen.

It does indicate charging when I plug it into the wall or USB so the vital signs are promising. When it does start back up, the BB turns on, hits the AT&T loader screen, goes dead again, then a few minutes later goes to the home screen / verifying security / finding wireless network per a normal reboot. What's odd is the shutdowns where it seems to be stuck thinking it is Enabled for Auto-Off and Auto-On. This can be anywhere from multiple times in a few minutes, to acting fine for half an hour or more, then repeatedly shutting off again. Weekday and Weekend auto power on/off are both set to Disabled, but regardless are also both 6AM and 11PM. When I get the shutdown message though, It says "Your device will now turn off. Your next scheduled Power On is 7:15AM. Press any key to abort." I have to abort if I catch the message soon enough because my power key is still non responsive and taking the battery out is annoying. But I also checked and I have no alarms enabled for 7:15, calendar alerts, etc. The "scheduled" time is totally arbitrary. Is this normal for water damage, to keep parts of the OS tripping out even on a clean install? Do you anticipate it going back to normal eventually? Or is this some magical stupid water damage I caused that I can't reverse, even on an otherwise functional BB?
    05-03-09 03:49 PM
    Is this normal for water damage, to keep parts of the OS tripping out even on a clean install? Do you anticipate it going back to normal eventually? ...
    Normal water damage is a complete write off.

Keyboard issues are common until everything finishes drying out. I would hope for continued improvement.

Applying heat helps, try sealing it in container of dry rice. Put that in a warm place overnight and hope for the best.
    05-03-09 04:08 PM
    ok so how come i dont have a program files/research in motion/app loader file? i have downloaded the most recent desktop manager as well as the most recent device software. i cannot locate the apploader file and therefore i cannot delete the vendor.xml file. i think this may be my problem but i dont know. I've wiped the device using the jl cmdr....and then i have begun to reload the newest OS using desktop mananger. however, approximatly 85% through the loading process, the process stops and the little loading bar freezes. any help would be appreciated
    05-03-09 04:30 PM
    Normal water damage is a complete write off.

Keyboard issues are common until everything finishes drying out. I would hope for continued improvement.

Applying heat helps, try sealing it in container of dry rice. Put that in a warm place overnight and hope for the best.
    Thanks so much for the feedback - I am hoping in the next few days it calms down as it dries out fully. Do you think additionally those compressed air sprayers would help get any gunk out from the puddle water? Maybe I will try that after the rice/absorbing moisture. Hopefully my dear BB will stop thinking it is set to Auto Off and be normal again! It is true that you realize so much why they're Crack-Berries as soon as you are without it!
    05-03-09 10:28 PM
    I have an 8320 from T-Mobile and everything was great until I upgraded the OS. After awhile the phone just started turning itself off and on. It got to the point where it was shutting off every 1-2 mins. It wouldn't even connect to the desktop manager. So I just pulled the battery and bought me the 8900. I put the battery back in and turned it on a few days ago and now it stays on for a day but it still shuts itself off.
    05-04-09 10:45 AM
    That's the BlackBerry way of telling you, it's time for an upgrade, hardware too.

If you have kept the 8320, it may be worth your while restoring it to the original OS or one of the later OS upgrades.

Always nice to have a backup.
    05-04-09 11:08 AM
    Howdy,
    I thought I'd check here before looking for a replacement. I went to use my TMO 8120 yesterday and I found it rebooting. Red LED, Clock, repeat.......
    I called TMO, they told me to reload the OS. The DM reload works until the point where DM attempts to restart the device and then it never reconnects, since my phone is in a reboot loop. Talked to RIM, they had me use loader.exe, loader.exe /resettofactory and loader.exe /nojvm and I get exactly the same result. CRACKMEM WIPE does not seem to work, JLLOADer cannot connect to wipe. RIM says it's dead, 2 weeks out of warranty! Does anyone have any ideas, or is replacement time?

Thanks
    05-04-09 12:21 PM
    loader.exe /resettofactory and loader.exe /nojvm and I get exactly the same result. ...
    Are you still getting the restart after wiping the OS with CrackMem? If that is the case, software is ruled out, it must be a hardware problem.

If you are getting "Unable to connect during a multi-stage ..." message, there is still a chance. Several members have reported success after several tries.
    05-04-09 01:08 PM
    i just did this and nothing worked help plz
    05-04-09 01:29 PM
    Are you still getting the restart after wiping the OS with CrackMem? If that is the case, software is ruled out, it must be a hardware problem.

If you are getting "Unable to connect during a multi-stage ..." message, there is still a chance. Several members have reported success after several tries.
    I cannot get Crackmem to Wipe Device. Wipe Device seems to just run Apploader and my phone will not ever connect after the Erasing Applications, Loading System Software. Stuck -> Waiting for Device Initialization (Reconnecting to JVM). Is there a way to get a 507 error?

What should I be doing with the battery? I have been leaving the battery out, connecting to usb to get apploader to see it, then generally trying to put battery in at various points in the exercise.
    05-04-09 01:32 PM
    Got you now, you are not able to wipe it becasue it does not maintain a connection.

Your BlackBerry will not connect when the battery is out, there is not enough power to acutaly run the device.

The vast majority of time, you want to start with the battery in place. If your PIN number is not recognized, you can force a restart by pulling the battery. This is used to capture the PIN number when it won't cooperated.

If I understand correctly, you are able to get the connection, run Applications Loader but it fails to stay connected during the process because the BlackBerry restarts.

That implies a problem in the internal power supply. There is no software cure.
    05-04-09 01:41 PM
    Got you now, you are not able to wipe it becasue it does not maintain a connection.

Your BlackBerry will not connect when the battery is out, there is not enough power to acutaly run the device.

The vast majority of time, you want to start with the battery in place. If your PIN number is not recognized, you can force a restart by pulling the battery. This is used to capture the PIN number when it won't cooperated.

If I understand correctly, you are able to get the connection, run Applications Loader but it fails to stay connected during the process because the BlackBerry restarts.

That implies a problem in the internal power supply. There is no software cure.
    Thanks for the help. I think I have a line on a used replacement.
    05-04-09 02:15 PM
    Hi I did everything but didnt work i kept getting too many parameters i need help please. And ivr tried the other wipe out to JLCmder nothing is working help please
    05-04-09 02:39 PM
    i did the reinstall , it worked but i still have the same problem my phone doesnt boot up i just have a blank screen

need some help guys
    05-04-09 03:18 PM
    Hi I did everything but didnt work i kept getting too many parameters i need help please. And ivr tried the other wipe out to JLCmder nothing is working help please
    That usually mean you have a space in the wrong place.

The command is: loader /nojvm

05-04-09 04:06 PM
    i did the reinstall , it worked but i still have the same problem my phone doesnt boot up i just have a blank screen

need some help guys
    I have reviewed your original thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/un...roblem-220933/

If I understand correctly, you have a blank white screen and no response to any of the keys.

Let's start with the basics, when you insert the battery, do you see spinning hour glass followed by the carriers startup screen? Does it go blank after that? When it finished, did you see the Successfull Upgrade message?

You also mention having done the upgrade. During the process, were there any error messages displayed?
    05-04-09 04:12 PM
    Yea when i pull the battery um the LED light flashes red and tries to reboot and screen is just blank um and no hourglass shows no progress bar at the bottom of the screen nothing but the menu buttons light up
    05-04-09 10:20 PM
    Okay, I followed all your steps, the OS was reloaded but it won't even turn on. Did I miss something?

Thanks!
    05-05-09 12:33 PM
1,742 ... 2324252627 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD