I FREAKING LOVE YOU!!!! I thought I had completely killed my brand new storm and you brought it back to life for me! would you like my first born child that I don't have yet?
    hahaha
    Chalk up another saved BlackBerry.

Can you do this with a dead battery??
    No, there is not enough power in the USB connection to the BlackBerry.

There is just, bairly, enough to light the screen with the Battery Failure icon.

A working battery is a must.
    03-22-09 01:42 PM
    So reading the first page, I follow the instructions, type in the command lines and then the next thing the instructions say is this:

"When you hit enter at the last command a forced rebuild will start. No data or setting will be saved, however, they can be recovered from a previous backup.

5. Wait for it to finish.Thirty minutes is typical, do not interrupt it.

Once it has recovered, you can use Desktop Manager's Application Loader to customize it and restore from your backup files, if you have saved them previously."

When I enter the last command, the app loader launches. Yet the instructions say a 'forced rebuild will start'. Is there supposed to be something that TELLS me that a 'forced rebuild' has started? What does that mean? The instructions then say that it is 'typical' for it to be 30 minutes...I see NOTHING on my screen about any 'forced rebuild' so how do I know when it is finished? I certainly don't want to 'interrupt it', but since I see nothing happening, what to do?

What am I missing here? Could someone describe for me what I should 'see' while I am 'waiting for it finish'? I appreciate it!!

Thanks!
    --------------------------
    update:

3/29 - Ok - After I hit that last command line, the app loader is launched. The directions say to wait 30 minutes then once it is 'recovered', use app loader...but I think maybe this is where I am interpreting something incorrectly? I think perhaps I am supposed to use the app loader immediately after that last command line and that *process* might take 30 minutes? Well, based on that theory, I tried that...but it didn't work...I got the multi-stage operation fail message....but at least it did *something*....not sure what to do next. Any suggestions are appreciated. I know the usb port works - my system (vista) recognizes it immediately and shows that the 'device' drivers have been found, so it's not a connection issue I don't think.

Or maybe I still am interpreting this wrong and I am supposed to wait up to 30 minutes THEN use the app loader? Again, the instructions are clear about not interrupting the build, but after the last command is entered, nothing happens (that I can tell) other than the app loader is auto launched...
    Last edited by jeanne68; 03-29-09 at 10:58 AM.
    03-28-09 06:12 PM
    I recovered my nuked pink curve with no problems using the tutorial in Blackberry 101! Easy peasy!

And now I've ditched the Omnia and reactivated it on Verizon! WM stinks!
    03-28-09 08:44 PM
    okay.. so i followed the instructions..
    and got to this part..

"When you hit enter at the last command a forced rebuild will start. No data or setting will be saved, however, they can be recovered from a previous backup.

5. Wait for it to finish.Thirty minutes is typical, do not interrupt it.

Once it has recovered, you can use Desktop Manager's Application Loader to customize it and restore from your backup files, if you have saved them previously."
    ----

as soon as i got to the last command and hit enter.. the application loader wizard starts up.. i hit next.. and it goes to communication port selection..
    and it says selection your communication prt to which your device is connected.. and it says USB-PORT: UNKNOWN
    and i get a drop drop down selection thats says com21 com 22 com 22 etc, none of them work when i continue next.. im stuc here and dont know what to do.. when i select anyof them it goes to DEVICE APPLICATION SELECTION and everything is "italic" like im unable to clic it or its inactive.. and theres an option to hit add or remove.. remove is italic.. so i hit add.. and theres nothing in my pc To select.. im stuc here i dont know what to do
    --------------
    UPDATE:
    i clicked next after select USB PIN UNKNOWN
    and then it goes to the screen that says "the blackberry desktop software does not have blackberry device software for the device that you have connected to the computer contact your servic provider.. but i have the 4.5 os installed on my pc.. so im not sure if its doin the reboot now or what.. idk.. anyhelp?
    ---------------------

I FIGURED IT OUT!!
    MY BB IS SAVED..
    u guys are effin life savers!!! -never letting my neice get a hold of my bb again.. a one year old is dangerous!
    Last edited by neicyx; 03-29-09 at 05:23 AM.
    03-28-09 11:20 PM
    nvm! im saved! thx for ur help guys
    03-29-09 01:19 PM
    I am at the part where I keep getting the "unable to reconnect during a multi-stage operation" error. Stuck there, can't seem to get unstuck

I tried reviewing the blackberry page re: USB issues, but that did not help. The connection is continually looping - I can't even get the device manager on windows to stay open long enough to view the ports - when the bb is plugged in, the device manager is constantly cycling - "refreshing" apparently, and even when watching for quite a while to try to hit it while up, the usb lists don't match what is on their page so.....

But thanks anyway. I think this is a great forum and we'll use it again for other phones I am sure!
    03-29-09 02:04 PM
    Hi There!

I hope someone can help me....

I have a Storm that was bricked during upgrade to the beta OS. When you turn it on it is in constant reboot cycle, over and over. I've tried the regular method of repair (described here and elsewhere and it does not work).

Some additional information:

1. I am not sure if this is normal, but regardless of if the battery is in or not, the device repeatedly connects and reconnects (even when I have connection to PIN Unknown). If this is not a normal occurrence, it is not the USB cable...I have tried a new cable and it has the same result.

2. When the batter is in (plugged in via usb or not) the red light will come on, the clock will display, then it will shut off and repeat endlessly.

3. Even when it stays connected, I do not think anything is actually getting pushed to the blackberry software wise, because it deletes and loads the new software way too fast (2 minutes tops)

4. Are their any third party tools that will let me connect to the blackberry and wipe it clean? I believe this is a software issue, as it was broken during an update to the beta OS. (It hung during the upgrade)

Hopefully someone can help me with this.

Thanks in advance!
    03-31-09 02:51 PM
    I thought I would give a bit more information...

I have downloaded Blackberry DM 4.7 and the .75 OS / firmware for the storm from Verizon (it is a Verizon handset and it is unlocked)

Thanks,
    Dave
    03-31-09 03:14 PM
    Thanks worked like a charm.
    03-31-09 04:04 PM
    Hi,

I've been searching over the whole internet to try to find a solution to my blackberry, sundenly i was updating my BB to the 4.5 and it just hang up and now it just show my BB screen Black, means nothing and the redlight, i've been trying to do this:

<>blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F

<>blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_to_do_next_if_Jl_Cmder_will_not_connect_and_w ipe

EDIT: cant post links so each links i miss the www

Doesnt matter which one ... if i try to use the command: javaloader -usb wipe

C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder>javaloader deviceinfo
    RIM Wireless Handheld Java Loader
    Copyright 2001-2008 Research In Motion Limited
    Connecting to device...Error: unable to connect to device

It doesnt connect been trying the whole day, i check the cable, the usb port 3 times... i tried with baterry and without it.

The other method was making the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader>loader.exe /nojvm when i do this it hang up at the screen of load JVM and system files ( after erasing app ).

Without look either... so does anyone have any good tips that can help me out ?

Really Thanks,

Another thing that i did is to try to load it trhough the Loader at Research in Motion and It get stuck at the second part where it says "Wait for device to initalitation"
    04-01-09 11:45 AM
    Hi There!

I hope someone can help me....

I have a Storm that was bricked during upgrade to the beta OS. When you turn it on it is in constant reboot cycle, over and over. I've tried the regular method of repair (described here and elsewhere and it does not work).

Some additional information:

1. I am not sure if this is normal, but regardless of if the battery is in or not, the device repeatedly connects and reconnects (even when I have connection to PIN Unknown). If this is not a normal occurrence, it is not the USB cable...I have tried a new cable and it has the same result.

2. When the batter is in (plugged in via usb or not) the red light will come on, the clock will display, then it will shut off and repeat endlessly.

3. Even when it stays connected, I do not think anything is actually getting pushed to the blackberry software wise, because it deletes and loads the new software way too fast (2 minutes tops)

4. Are their any third party tools that will let me connect to the blackberry and wipe it clean? I believe this is a software issue, as it was broken during an update to the beta OS. (It hung during the upgrade)

Hopefully someone can help me with this.

Thanks in advance!
    The USB drivers are part of the BlackBerry Desktop Software pacakge. You should have them installed, but if you have any doubts, reinstall the package. You can do a "Repair" install from the Windows Control Panel / Programs.

There are several programs you can use to wipe your device. I favor the CrackUtil program created by our moderator Pete6.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/crackutil-85617/

Hi,

I've been searching over the whole internet to try to find a solution to my blackberry, sundenly i was updating my BB to the 4.5 and it just hang up and now it just show my BB screen Black, means nothing and the redlight, i've been trying to do this:

<>blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F

<>blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_to_do_next_if_Jl_Cmder_will_not_connect_and_w ipe

EDIT: cant post links so each links i miss the www

Doesnt matter which one ... if i try to use the command: javaloader -usb wipe

C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder>javaloader deviceinfo
    Connecting to device...Error: unable to connect to device

It doesnt connect been trying the whole day, i check the cable, the usb port 3 times... i tried with baterry and without it.

The other method was making the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader>loader.exe /nojvm when i do this it hang up at the screen of load JVM and system files ( after erasing app ).

Without look either... so does anyone have any good tips that can help me out ?

Really Thanks,

Another thing that i did is to try to load it trhough the Loader at Research in Motion and It get stuck at the second part where it says "Wait for device to initalitation"
    I belive you are also dealing with a USB connection issue. BlackBerry has published a paper on troubleshooting USB problems.

View Document

If this still does not work, you may be experiencing a hardware USB problem. Try it on a different computer.

04-02-09 03:53 PM
    Hi Reed,

First of all, thanks for responding!

I have tried all the 3rd party apps, and none of them seem to be able to break the Blackberry out of it's reboot cycle. I have made some progress since my post, but now I am stuck at the dreaded "Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation" None of the suggested fixes for that problem that have worked for other people have worked for me.

Thanks,
    Dave
    04-02-09 03:55 PM
    Nobody is a thrilled to be here as I am, I have just been through a month of limited dial up access.

"Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation"...
    There is the smoking gun, your USB connection is marginal.

Try the USB troubleshooting techniques I posted above, if that still fails, try a different computer.
    04-02-09 04:00 PM
    Hi Reed,

I've tried those methods and 3 different PCs...a laptop and 2 desktops
    04-02-09 04:07 PM
    That rules out a hardware problem on a single computer. Unfortunatly, that leaves us with a fault in the BlackBerry's USB port.
    04-02-09 04:11 PM
    Hi Reed and thanks for the help!!

The CrackMem dont detect the BB but everytime i hook up this BB with a new install Windows start Blackberry Smart Driver and works,, because i use the same USB CABLE for 2 others BB and works like a charm and in fact i update another one...

I think the BB is the one with the problem not the cable or USB port... but what can i do about it?

Rulz.-
    04-02-09 04:13 PM
    In fact, look the last couple of things i tried to do:

first, i load the JavaLoader Apps and do the "fast n quick" trick about the cable and do what i get,, which is the same as before...

The picture above check it...

It just get stuck at the second stage, Wait For Device initialization...

i tried CrackMem and it doesnt detect the USB cord, and tried with the same cable over other laptop pc.. and nothing works...

The other Thing i did was this one

C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder>javaloader -u wipe
    Connecting to device...debug: COM error during Open: (0x80040001)
    Error: unable to open port

Reed, what else can i do ?

Thanks,
    Rulz.-
    Last edited by XtrlRulz; 04-02-09 at 04:54 PM.
    04-02-09 04:28 PM
    i got stuck on the same spot with the device initialization....i found that it worked when i had the battery in the phone at that time. if it was not in, then it would never connect and fail on that step. my problem is that once i get finished with that whole process, only my keyboard lights up and nothing happens on the screen. the computer detects the blackberry bold every time so i dont no what i should do. i really want to just get it working again...i am now scared because i dont even see the error 507 white screen...i dont know what is happening. please help!!!!!!!!!!!
    04-02-09 05:28 PM
    i got stuck on the same spot with the device initialization....i found that it worked when i had the battery in the phone at that time. if it was not in, then it would never connect and fail on that step. my problem is that once i get finished with that whole process, only my keyboard lights up and nothing happens on the screen. the computer detects the blackberry bold every time so i dont no what i should do. i really want to just get it working again...i am now scared because i dont even see the error 507 white screen...i dont know what is happening. please help!!!!!!!!!!!

How long those it takes from the first step to the second ? because it takes up to 1 hour here to get there .... im using BB 8310

Thanks.
    04-02-09 05:45 PM
    I found this Curve 8330 and I went to turn it on and the only thing that happens is the LED light comes on but the screen reamins black. Looks like there is no life to it. Then I happen to see that when you look at it from an angle you can actually see that the phone is on, and you can see the Home Screen.

If you put a flash light rite to the screen you can see it and test the phone.....it works. I got a new battery for it and a new LCD screen thinking that the problem was with the LCD screen. Turns out that it wasn't the LCD screen, or at least I'm assuming cause the LCD screen I got is brand new, so I doubt it would be the screen.

I noticed that the water damage indicator is red instead of white. But the phone works, makes calls, receive emails, texts, internet, etc...

So I'm confused as to what it could be. Anybody have a clue?

I greatly appreciate any feedback.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-09 07:22 AM
    Forgot to mention....I even reinstalled the OS hoping that it was some how software related but that didn't help any. I tried going into the options menu and increasing the brightness of the screen/backlight but that didn't help any, it was actually already set to 100%. I also tried soft and hard resets and nothing. I really want to find the cause and hopefully get the screen to light up as its supposed to cause the phone looks brand new. Only a scuff in the bottom left hand side.

Whatever I've been able to do to test the phone I've had to have a flashlight pointing to the screen cause if not nothing would be visible.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-09 07:29 AM
    That rules out a hardware problem on a single computer. Unfortunatly, that leaves us with a fault in the BlackBerry's USB port.
    Hi Reed,

I was thinking that too, I tried a brand new usb cable and had the same results. I was thinking about buying a usb replacement (found one on Ebay for $10), but one time when I was running the apploader it lost connection at the end of the erasing device process, and that did take it out of the endless reboot cycle...but the device just showed a solid red led, but maintained connection.

Do you think I should still replace the usb connection? I can get one on Ebay for $10, and my brother in law can replace it for me. (The warranty seal is already removed on the storm, so I am not loosing anything by cracking it open)

Thanks,
    Dave
    04-03-09 08:51 AM
    HI EVERYONE

I found this thread because a subscriber to my Youtube Videos asked me this question. I have the solution and have videos showing you specifically how to do it.

Please visit my youtube site at:
    YouTube - KillerNumberX's Channel

don't worry, youtube is free.
    04-03-09 12:45 PM
    P.S. THE ONLY SOLUTION TO THE CONSTANT REBOOT CYCLE IS TO REINSTALL THE 4.2.2 OS AND NEVER UPGRADE TO THE 4.5 OS.

Some specific phones have an incompatibility with the 4.5 OS and your only alternative is to sell that one and buy a different one.
    04-03-09 12:47 PM
    yeap, but how can you be so sure ? because it doesnt let me to install not even the 4.5 anymore and where do i get the older software? the handheld and everything? thanks.
    04-03-09 12:55 PM
1,742 ... 1920212223 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD