Reed, would this process work, say if I bought a phone from another country and wanted to change the OS to one from here on a BB?

Yes, but it is much better to use Desktop Manager's Application Loader for that job.

The command line switch tells Application Loader to start from scratch, ignoring any previous installed software.

The preferred technique begins with a device backup, installs the new OS and finishes with a device restore. Your new OS will be complete with your data and all of your settings.

If you prefer, you can select the option to erase data and settings, that will give you a fresh "out of the box" device.

Keep in mind, this is not the same as unlocking a device from a different carrier, you will still need to do that separately.

Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-16-08 at 02:35 PM.
    09-16-08 02:32 PM
    i have the same problem as everyone else, i.e the white screen with the timer, but my phone actually lets me put my PIN in and get going with the phone, then it just resets itself and starts with the whit e timer again. i have followed what you have put at the top of this thread, but it is stil doing it!!! HELP!!!! i have a curve 8300 on o2 uk
    That sounds more like a hardware issue. If the power supply is intermittently failing, replacing the device is the only cure.
    09-16-08 02:37 PM
    Can anyone offer any additional assistance?

Please refer to my posts 121-124 on this thread. These detail my current situation.

If anybody is up for a good Challenge, this is it.

Thanks,

~Slack
    09-16-08 03:05 PM

Please refer to my posts 121-124 on this thread. These detail my current situation.

Thanks,

~Slack
    I'm with SlackBerry_07 on this one. I have an 8100 lying around and it dead-ends at the same point as Slackberry's (#121 post). I had given up, accepting it's defective... though I am willing to try one more time. I've done all the quick draw trigger finger techniques I can imagine to recatch the sync.

I've step-by-stepped some very detailed procedures from this forum, unfortunately to no avail. I'll be watching this thread and who knows, maybe someone has stumbled upon a workaround for this. If not, it may be truly Kaput and it will be a buried berry.
    09-16-08 04:55 PM
    thank you very much amazing step by step but it seems that i have a problem with the battery it appears empty but its not any help
    09-16-08 05:15 PM
    thank you very much amazing step by step but it seems that i have a problem with the battery it appears empty but its not any help
    I had a minor problem when my battery failed to take a charge. Reseating the battery corrected the problem

Examine the four gold contacts. If there is any contamination, use a pink eraser to gently clean the contacts.

If that does not work, replace the battery to verify the device is actually working.
    09-16-08 05:20 PM
    I made the mistake of installing deskware 4.6 on a new XP computer and bricked my 8820 while I was trying to install a new BB OS.

Bricked. Nuked. Screen o' Death which I had never seen before.

For the first time in a decade I went to the C: Prompt, followed the directions and all is well.

Thank you

Rich Galen
    09-16-08 08:06 PM
    I made the mistake of installing deskware 4.6 on a new XP computer and bricked my 8820 while I was trying to install a new BB OS.

Bricked. Nuked. Screen o' Death which I had never seen before.

For the first time in a decade I went to the C: Prompt, followed the directions and all is well.

Thank you

Rich Galen
    You should have no problems with 4.6 and XP.
    09-16-08 08:24 PM
    I just got this curve and it did this on me! I'm coming back from a pearl, actually 2 pearls which just kept doing this!
    09-17-08 04:42 AM
    Hi! I have an 8310 Curve (from O2 UK) but am currently in Switzerland. I have had my Curve for a few months and it has been OK.

However, last week I completely forgot to charge it. It was totally black with no LED or any other sign of life. I plugged it into the wall anyway but nothing happened. I then ordered a new battery from the States that arrived today. But the bloody thing is still dead. And it isn't recognised by the Desktop manager. I have tried a number of USB connectors, all to no avail. Is it ... (toast?)
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-17-08 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Language, keep it family friendly.
    09-17-08 01:37 PM

Thanks,

~Slack
    I'm with SlackBerry_07 on this one. I have an 8100 lying around and it dead-ends at the same point as Slackberry's (#121 post). I had given up, accepting it's defective... though I am willing to try one more time. I've done all the quick draw trigger finger techniques I can imagine to recatch the sync.

I've step-by-stepped some very detailed procedures from this forum, unfortunately to no avail. I'll be watching this thread and who knows, maybe someone has stumbled upon a workaround for this. If not, it may be truly Kaput and it will be a buried berry.
    You should have no problems with 4.6 and XP.
    Always willing to try anything a dozen times, though here is where I am at.

I followed Crucials new tip, by now running 4.6 on my XP. I've tried:
    in the past and now:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=32322

BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

Great posts which I am sure have helped people with many of their BB reincarnations.

With the 8100 I have that was just laying around, seemingly Kaput, and that was having this cycling on/off situation I thought what the heck I'll take another stab at it with the 4.6

When I grab the USB connection at the beginning of the install, which then finally stops the phone from cycling, I then carry on. When I get to the "Updating your device" dialogue box I watch as it completes the: "Load JVM and system restore" while "erasing previous applications" and then the "loading software" processes.

Then as it wants to move to the next line: "Wait for device initialization"...

the 8100 now resumes it continuous loop on/off (power-up/power-down) routine. The PC repeats and repeats it's typical USB connect/disconnect sound.

The status indicator at the bottom of the dialogue box reads: "Connecting to JVM"

Finally it gives up (ie: gives me the finger) and reads: "Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation.

It would be great to revive the Berry, though if it's time to bury the berry then so be it.

Thanking all! If there is a fix or work-around then I'm willing to try again...

--------------

Just tried it one more time, same result...
    Last edited by PvT; 09-17-08 at 05:27 PM.
    09-17-08 05:10 PM
    PvT and I are at the exact same juncture.

Can ANYBODY help us???

I gotta be honest, I'm a little disappointed that other simpler problems are being poked, prodded, and eventually solved; though nobody wants to address ours. I figured there had to be someone on this site that would take this challenge personally and triumph over this little plastic shell filled with wires, 1s and 0s. Maybe not...

Guess I'm with you, PvT. Perhaps we'll both be burying our 8100s afterall...

What do you think, flush it down the toilet
    or
    light it up and send it out to sea...???

It's been awhile since I've had to dispose of a corpse, and I'm all out of shoeboxes...
    09-17-08 10:23 PM
    ...nobody wants to address ours. I figured there had to be someone on this site that would take this challenge personally and triumph over this little plastic shell filled with wires, 1s and 0s. Maybe not...
    I would, if only I could.

This appears to be a black hole. The device is alive enough to try, but it fails to complete it's mission.

Like you, I am hoping the thousands of minds that consider this, perhaps one will have a solution.

Till then....
    09-17-08 10:59 PM
    Same with PVT and Slackberry, help please!
    09-17-08 11:26 PM
    This question deserves a seperate topic.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/unab...eration-73368/
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-17-08 at 11:34 PM.
    09-17-08 11:28 PM

Guess I'm with you, PvT. Perhaps we'll both be burying our 8100s afterall...

What do you think, flush it down the toilet
    or
    light it up and send it out to sea...???

It's been awhile since I've had to dispose of a corpse, and I'm all out of shoeboxes...
    That's funny... I'm with you on the option of disposing of the corpse though I think we should remove the battery first and properly recycle it, just to be environmentally responsible. I am leaning towards the lighting it up and sending it adrift out to sea over flushing it down the toilet... Don't want to have to start a new thread "How to unplug toilet from stuck Blackberry. Also a Pearl would be at home at the bottom of the ocean.

Same with PVT and Slackberry, help please!
    This question deserves a seperate topic.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/unab...eration-73368/
    Thank you RM for the new thread. I've moved over to it as well. Will be lurking on these two threads now.

Read a comment from Kevins 101 where someone said that when they used the actual USB cable that came with the phone, it then worked. I had used two other ones before that though when I used an actual RIM USB cable, same result though.

When I finally receive my gifted BOLD from RIM I'll probably forget about all this, though I'm still here for the greater cause.

Back to the other thread... & thanks again!
    09-18-08 02:27 AM
    Doc ID : KB04269

Unable to connect to the BlackBerry smartphone during a multistage loading operation

Problem
    The following error appears when Application Loader is used:

Unable to complete the loading operation. Unable to connect to the handheld during a multistage loading operation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cause
    There are multiple causes for this issue.

There is insufficient power for the loading operation to complete on the BlackBerry smartphone.
    The connection between the USB port of the BlackBerry smartphone and the computer's USB port is unsustainable.
    The USB drivers failed to initialize during BlackBerry smartphone initialization.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolution
    Complete the following tasks:

Verify that the battery is inserted in the BlackBerry smartphone.
    Verify that the battery is not faulty.
    Turn off the Power Management option for the USB root hubs on the computer. For instructions, see the Additional Information section.
    If a laptop computer is being used, make sure the computer is not connected to a docking station.
    Make sure the BlackBerry smartphone is connected directly to the computer and not to a USB hub.
    Disconnect all other USB devices (for instance, cameras) from the computer.
    Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to another USB port on the computer.
    Turn off antivirus or firewall programs that are running on the computer. Turn the programs on again once a connection to the BlackBerry smartphone is established.

Additional Information
    To disable the Power Management option for the USB root hubs on the computer, complete the following steps:

Open the Control Panel by clicking Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    In the Control Panel, double-click System.
    Select the Hardware tab and click Device Manager.
    In the Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    Right-click USB Root Hub and select Properties.
    Select the Power Management tab and clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.
    Repeat steps five and six for other entries named USB Root Hub.
    BlackBerry Support does have some insite.

Windows Vista defaults to the correct USB setting, but it should be double checked.

Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-18-08 at 09:35 AM.
    09-18-08 09:24 AM
    That's funny... I'm with you on the option of disposing of the corpse though I think we should remove the battery first and properly recycle it, just to be environmentally responsible. I am leaning towards the lighting it up and sending it adrift out to sea
    Don't you dare even think about throwing anything made from plastic into the sea. It is a crime (MARPOL Convention) second only to pouring crude oil into the sea, and extremely unfriendly to wildlife and the environment. In fact plastic is probably more damaging than than oil as a long term persistant pollutant but it doesn't have the same public impact when it makes the TV news.
    09-18-08 03:03 PM
    Don't you dare even think about throwing anything made from plastic into the sea. It is a crime (MARPOL Convention) second only to pouring crude oil into the sea, and extremely unfriendly to wildlife and the environment. In fact plastic is probably more damaging than than oil as a long term persistant pollutant but it doesn't have the same public impact when it makes the TV news.
    Well of course....... I'm very aware of the horrific plastic polution in our oceans, though I probably still cannot fathom the magnitude of it, nor can anyone as its worse than we can imagine. I've seen many a documentary on the subject, familiar with volunteers who go to Pacific islands and donate their summers just to try and collect a minute amount of the plastic from plastic islands, ocean floor, all which turns out to be mountains of collected rubbish. I know it's sick..., the environmental impact and gut wrenching affect on wildlife. I live close to the ocean. I get your point, it's a good one and I'm sure you don't think I'm actually going to throw anything short of an actual Pearl into the sea. I like your Avitar... happens to be my personal macot.

Anyways thanks for the increased awareness.

Back on task for this thread... PvT_Out
    09-18-08 03:26 PM
    This saved me!! Tried upgrading to 4.5.0.55 OS and it came up with the 507 error. Reloaded according to this thread and my 8320 is back online

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-08 03:52 PM
    Sorry there, Greenpeace. Didn't know my initial comment would spark such hostility in the ranks. Plastic probably doesn't get the bad rap it deserves because there aren't enough good citizens like you policing the message boards correcting the facetious posters like us. Get a sense of humor. Does anybody representing PETA want to splash blood across my computer screen b/c I eluded to flushing some old pets down the toilet?

Let's not make this into a political fiasco. How about trying to fix some people's Blackberry problems and leaving the pent-up hostility at home, branta. The rest of us are attempting to do what this board was created to do: solve Blackberry problems, not the world's. Find another site to do that...
    09-18-08 06:14 PM
    I've just deadended on trying to revive the 8100 in question. Here is my most recent post on the subject on the other thread.

Thankful for all the input to date.

Direct link to the post:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/unab...tml#post737900
    09-19-08 12:57 PM
    At Communication Port Selection, it never says USB:PIN-UNKNOWN; it says COM3 the entire time no matter how much I disconnect and reconnect the BlackBerry. Any thoughts?
    09-19-08 06:37 PM
    At Communication Port Selection, it never says USB:PIN-UNKNOWN; it says COM3 the entire time no matter how much I disconnect and reconnect the BlackBerry. Any thoughts?
    You can change the COM...
    09-19-08 06:38 PM
    The dropdown menu has COM3 as the only selection. I'm clearly a failure at this. I think I might just give in and call T-Mobile ... however, I'm stubborn and keep switching USB ports to see if I'm just not being patient enough.
    09-19-08 07:05 PM
1,742 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD