I just did everything and it's loading THANK YOU STONER!!! I will watch this olympic basketball game to kill the time haha
    08-24-08 02:12 AM
    okay this is driving me insane.i haven't even had this phone a month yet and i look over at my blackberry. i see a black screen and red blinking lights.wont turn on.computer wont recognize the usb....i've tried both of the links you've given.nothing will work...been up all night trying to fix this..i'm at my wits end.please help.

I was reloading BB Messenger and now this is exactly where I'm stuck, have either a steady red light, a slow blink red light, fast blink red light or no led at all, and no activity on the screen. I can't seem to trick the app loader into seeing the device. JL_CMDer will not connect, DM will not connect. Any help Stoner?

edit: Tricked AppLoader, now it's stuck on "Connecting to the device (ARM)" Help at all?
    Last edited by maslin; 08-25-08 at 09:38 PM.
    08-25-08 09:26 PM
    Hi,

I have a 8707v that is stuck with error msg:
    Data Abor...
    Reset

If i press enter, it will restart the loop.

I want to reload the software using your guide, but i stuck at a window prompting me to enter password.
    How do i remove the password? I totally forgot the password, and i have 5 tries left

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    09-02-08 11:22 PM
    In fact i don't remember setting a security password at all, maybe it was there when i first bought it from ebay.
    I've read a few threads about wiping IT policy from handset, but sadly i have no access to that option since i can't get into the OS.

Is there a hard reset button on this handset?
    09-02-08 11:56 PM
    Hi,

I have a 8707v that is stuck with error msg:
    Data Abor...
    Reset

If i press enter, it will restart the loop.

I want to reload the software using your guide, but i stuck at a window prompting me to enter password.
    How do i remove the password? I totally forgot the password, and i have 5 tries left

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    In fact i don't remember setting a security password at all, maybe it was there when i first bought it from ebay.
    I've read a few threads about wiping IT policy from handset, but sadly i have no access to that option since i can't get into the OS.

Is there a hard reset button on this handset?

Is there an IT policy on the device? Regardless, if you don't know the PW, you are going to have to wipe the device. You need to d/l OS 4.5 and install it to your computer. Then install to the device. Then use JL_Cmder and ressettofactory. Then you can put whatever OS back on the device you want and the policy will be gone.
    09-03-08 12:03 AM
    Is there an IT policy on the device? Regardless, if you don't know the PW, you are going to have to wipe the device. You need to d/l OS 4.5 and install it to your computer. Then install to the device. Then use JL_Cmder and ressettofactory. Then you can put whatever OS back on the device you want and the policy will be gone.
    I have OS version 4.2.1 and Desktop Software version 4.3 downloaded from BB site. I followed the step, and right after I press next on com port selection (after my BB is detected), it asked for security password. So i can't reinstall the OS without knowing the password.

I downloaded JL_Cmder, and the same thing happened. Without putting in password, i can't run option 4 (wipe) successfully.
    09-03-08 01:35 AM
    Unfortunatly, without your device password, BlackBerry software will not touch your device.

There is no way to distinguish between a forgotten password and a stolen device.

You have ten tries to get it correct. If you enter all ten incorrectly, your device will preform a wipe to remove all the data.

From there, you should be able to use the instructions in Post #1 to recover.

09-03-08 02:46 PM
    Unfortunatly, without your device password, BlackBerry software will not touch your device.

There is no way to distinguish between a forgotten password and a stolen device.

You have ten tries to get it correct. If you enter all ten incorrectly, your device will preform a wipe to remove all the data.

From there, you should be able to use the instructions in Post #1 to recover.

Reed is correct. But if the device does/did have a IT Policy you will have to upgrade to OS 4.5 resettofactory in order to remove the policy. Then you can load the OS of your choice.
    09-03-08 04:10 PM
    Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate it.

I decided to exhaust all the remaining chances to enter the correct password, and finally the device was wiped.
    After wiping the device, it is detected as PIN:UNKNOWN, and I proceed to press next at the loader, and selected all required components of the software.

But in the middle of installation, the progress stopped, and now it is only displaying white screen with some small pictures in the middle, and number "507"
    The device is no longer detected by my PC. What went wrong there?
    09-05-08 02:39 AM
    Trying to restore my os on bb 8330 ... following your instructions... once I've used the app loader and select the installs I want I get the following message "unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation"
    09-05-08 03:39 PM
    Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate it.

I decided to exhaust all the remaining chances to enter the correct password, and finally the device was wiped.
    After wiping the device, it is detected as PIN:UNKNOWN, and I proceed to press next at the loader, and selected all required components of the software.

But in the middle of installation, the progress stopped, and now it is only displaying white screen with some small pictures in the middle, and number "507"
    The device is no longer detected by my PC. What went wrong there?
    That sounds like a fault in the USB connection. I have heard reports of the OS install corrupting the USB connections.

Re-install Desktop Manager and try it again.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-05-08 at 04:14 PM.
    09-05-08 04:12 PM
    Trying to restore my os on bb 8330 ... following your instructions... once I've used the app loader and select the installs I want I get the following message "unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation"
    Two in one afternoon.

I suspect the same problem, try re-installing the Desktop Manager.
    09-05-08 04:14 PM
    That happen to me also I disconnected my BB and reconnected it after I got past those first couple steps. Also make sure your BB is connected to the back of your comp USB not the ones in the front

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-08 09:05 AM
    Well, I got the "unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation" message. The phone was dropped and the scroll ball popped out. After that the phone worked but when it died, it would not turn back on plugged in, unplugged, battery in or out. Then I read your posts on how to recover a blackberry when I first got the phone since I bought it from a third party. That didn't work at first. Then I saw the new OS for the 83xx and decided to give it a try. Then i got that dreaded message. What I found out was that there might be a problem with the battery so when it failed to initialize (the phone after the wipe turned on unplugged) I unplugged it from the computer while it was trying to reconnect to jvm and turned the phone on then plugged it back in and it worked!! So I hope that the battery is the problem and not the USB port where it charges. I will find out. But as of now, the phone powers on unplugged, plugged in and every which way it should turn on. Thank you so much for all your write ups and advice.
    09-07-08 09:55 PM
    Hello,
    I have a BB 8100 Pearl, and I believed it was short-fused electrically when I plugged it into a Motorola charger. After the apparent short-fuse, the screen went black and about five seconds later a battery sign appeared in the middle with a red line crossing it out. I followed your guide to the AppLoader, when I am about to connect I see my USB PIN and I click connect but then it disappears after a second leaving me with a "USB: UNKNOWN" and starts running. Everything seemed fine but when it gets to the "Reconnect to JVM" stage, all of a sudden the restoration comes to a stop and it gives me an "Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation." Also, I hear the noise your computer makes when you insert a new hardware or remove hardware from your computer before it gives me that error. I have downloaded the BB Desktop Manager v4.3 several times and downloading the 8100 Pearl OS package also several times. My phone is unlocked but it was originally a T-Mobile version. I'm not sure what to do the only sign of life my phone is giving me is the battery sign with a red line crossing it out
    09-12-08 12:18 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

I would suspect a failure in the battery to produce that display. There is adaqute power for the display, but not enough to power the rest of the device.

You can try exchanging with a known good battery.
    09-12-08 02:25 PM
    No its not the battery I've tried three different batteries and they all gave the same sign. I called AT&T and they told me I might have short fused it but it doesn't look like it because there are still signs of life.
    09-14-08 03:52 AM
    I've got the same problem as Goochberry. Tried multiple batteries out of working Blackberries, all with the same result. Just have the battery icon with the slash through it. Any suggestions...???
    09-14-08 05:43 PM
    Try and reboot your computer after you get the error. Also, it could be the USB and Drivers. You may want to download them off the Blackberry site, and install. Otherwise, send the devices in.
    09-14-08 06:43 PM
    I've been through all your steps, Stoner, & definitely appreciate your extensive help in this forum. However, let me throw another curve at you:

My BB was immersed in a neighborhood swimming pool for approximately 5 seconds. Livid at myself, I panicked and tried to turn it on; Nothing. I then proceeded to remove the battery, sim card, & sd card and let it dry on a table in the heat. When it was time to go home (approx. 20 later), I wrapped all of the pieces separately in a towel. Upon arriving home I laid all the pieces out to let them dry. After a couple of hours (STUPID!, I know) I tried to turn it on again. I got the alternating blinking lights and the white screen with the hourglass. The hourglass ran for several minutes and not sure what was going on, I turned it off and turned it on again. Again, the white screen and the hourglass. After it ran about five minutes I repeated the same. This time it would not come on. It was at this time that I found this forum. I took the battery and cards out again and sealed them in a ziploc bag with those 3 of those packets used to keep medications/etc. dry in storage/shipment. The ziploc bag I then placed in a tupperware container. I let this set for a couple of days. After putting everything back together, still nothing. Black screen, no lights. I tried my wife's battery, still nothing. I put my battery in her BB and it worked just fine. So, evidently the battery is okay. After reading more of this forum and others on this site, I decided that it must have shorted the last time I turned it on. Hopeless, I was about to give up. Then I was just messing around with the battery and I got the light to blink. After some more playing around, I have gotten it to stay solid. However, neither the application launch or the desktop manager can find it still.

Is there any hope? Does the fact that the light comes on now mean ANYTHING?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.
    That was my previous post. I've made some progress since then, but am still STUCK.

The screen on my 8100 now works! I was very excited to see this. The screen shows the battery with the red slash through it. I have downloaded the OS and Desktop Manager. Both are unzipped. When I go through the command prompt process to run the application loader, it successfully finds my BB. It comes up "USB-PIN: FFFFFFFF". I get the screen titled "Device Application Selection" and click "Next". I then click "Advanced" and both boxes are checked. I click "Finish" and updating process begins. All applications are erased and the system software is loaded. Then it proceeds to the second step, "Wait for device initialization". At this point the screen returns to the battery/red slash icon. It had gone black as soon as the application loader began. During this process, the connect and disconnect sounds begin. The device completes the initialization and proceeds to "Reconnecting to JVM". When the progress bar reaches the end, the window pops up saying "Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation."

I have been through this process dozens of times. I have tried other batteries, ones that I know work. I have read post after post on the internet, hours and hours of searching for solutions. I have tried JL_CMder, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I have tried just using the "c:\javaloader -usb wipe", but I get "Connecting to device...debug: COM error during Open: <0x80040001>
    Error: unable to open port".

I have rebooted my computer. I have also reloaded both the OS and Desktop Manager (while the BB is disconnected). I have tried different USB ports, and I am not using a hub. I also have unplugged my wireless mouse receiver, b/c I read somewhere that there might be a lack of power issue.

I am at a complete loss. There is life in this 8100. The usb connection is good. The battery is fine. I just don't know...

Whoever can figure this out is a genius!
    09-15-08 11:41 AM
    I make no claims to genius, but I have seen plenty of interesting issues with this device.

In some cases, the USB port is not able to meet the power requirements of the device. Toshiba laptops in particular, have exibited strange behaviour.

Is there any chance you can borrow another computer? Just to be sure.

09-15-08 02:55 PM
    Reed, I will attempt to use another computer this evening. Man, I tell you what...this thing sure has me stumped.
    09-15-08 06:48 PM
    Okay, I've tried 3 times on a different computer and I'm still getting the same results:

"Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation."

Previously I was using a Dell laptop. This time I'm using an HP desktop.
    I am completely stumped. I really don't want to give up, it seems like I'm so close. It's still alive. The screen stays on for hours and hours without being plugged in, so the battery is charging and powering the phone. Desktop Manager detects it, so the USB cable and port are operable.

Anything I've missed or failed to try???

I'll even take it apart if that's the consensus, just so long as somebody gives me instructions.

I'll try anything at this point...
    09-15-08 08:21 PM
    i have the same problem as everyone else, i.e the white screen with the timer, but my phone actually lets me put my PIN in and get going with the phone, then it just resets itself and starts with the whit e timer again. i have followed what you have put at the top of this thread, but it is stil doing it!!! HELP!!!! i have a curve 8300 on o2 uk
    09-16-08 04:14 AM
    Reed, would this process work, say if I bought a phone from another country and wanted to change the OS to one from here on a BB?
    Last edited by kkily; 09-16-08 at 01:47 PM.
    09-16-08 01:45 PM
1,742 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD