I went through OS recovery He..
    Wiped fine but had fatal errors trying to install OS
    (I must have tried 10 times in 5 hours)

Then, I made sure all old OS's were uninstalled
    (Still have the exe files if I want to go back)

I had the USB cable on my laptop docking port, moved it to a port directly on my laptop.
    Deleted all the OS files of the OS I wanted and reran the OS exe install

Did the DOS version of the loader and it finally worked.

Thanks all!

Now I have 4.5.0.52 on my curve...
    07-21-08 09:30 AM
    Another successful recovery.

I gather the USB hub proved to be the source of the connection problem. Something to watch out for.
    07-21-08 10:47 AM
    i have a the 8100 and it already had a few issues with being connected to the computer. so i was in the middle of going to the 4.5 and my girlfriend pushed something or bumped the cord and the update was interrupted. now all i get is the red led lite blinking on the phone. i have taken off the battery a few times but it just blinks the red light. oh and the computer will detect it but cant figure out that its a blackberry nor will the blackberry desktop the computer keeps saying its not recognized. what do i do?????
    07-23-08 01:54 AM
    i have a the 8100 and it already had a few issues with being connected to the computer. so i was in the middle of going to the 4.5 and my girlfriend pushed something or bumped the cord and the update was interrupted. now all i get is the red led lite blinking on the phone. i have taken off the battery a few times but it just blinks the red light. oh and the computer will detect it but cant figure out that its a blackberry nor will the blackberry desktop the computer keeps saying its not recognized. what do i do?????
    What kind, if any, Error code are you getting? Regardless, Download the newest version of Desktop Manager & your Carriers specific OS for your model device from HERE
    then start at this step---> 3. Once the OS has been installed, you have to prepare it for the device.

Select Start / Computer and select the Drive C: Icon.

Open Program Files / Common Files / Research in Motion / AppLoader.

Navigate to the bottom and delete the file Vendor.XML file.

Edit: Hope you didn't mind Stoner.
    ashot1473 likes this.
    07-23-08 05:35 AM

Edit: Hope you didn't mind Reed.
    Not at all, good pick-up.
    07-23-08 09:16 AM
    What kind, if any, Error code are you getting? Regardless, Download the newest version of Desktop Manager & your Carriers specific OS for your model device from HERE
    then start at this step---> 3. Once the OS has been installed, you have to prepare it for the device.

Select Start / Computer and select the Drive C: Icon.

Open Program Files / Common Files / Research in Motion / AppLoader.

Edit: Hope you didn't mind Reed.
    Ok so the phone doesn't even turn on. All I get is the red blinking led light and a black screen. Also when I plug the phone into the computer all I get is a little pop up that reads: USB device not recognized and when I open up the blackberry desktop it doesn't show that the phone is connected

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-08 09:21 AM
    Ok so the phone doesn't even turn on. All I get is the red blinking led light and a black screen. Also when I plug the phone into the computer all I get is a little pop up that reads: USB device not recognized and when I open up the blackberry desktop it doesn't show that the phone is connected

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Can you double check the c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader directory for Vender.xml? It is created fresh each time you run the OS install. Just to be sure.

Kevin describes a timing critical technique for dealing with the connection.

There is a brief moment when Desktop Manager will recognize the BlackBerry. The trick is, insert the battery into the BlackBerry and be prepared to connect in the moment it cycles through.

07-23-08 09:32 AM
    I am very new to the BB... I got a 7130G from a friend, brand new though I know it is an older model. Everything worked great for about 2 months and then one morning I went to power it on and it came on for a second, then died. Totally. Not the hourglass screen I keep reading about, just dead. Black screen, no LED light. I get no signs of life at all. The only other sympton was the phone felt hot when I unplugged it. I have loaded the desktop manager on my PC and the computer still does not recognize the phone. Please help!? I am lost and have been searching for an answer for a week....
    07-24-08 02:36 AM
    I am very new to the BB... I got a 7130G from a friend, brand new though I know it is an older model. Everything worked great for about 2 months and then one morning I went to power it on and it came on for a second, then died. Totally. Not the hourglass screen I keep reading about, just dead. Black screen, no LED light. I get no signs of life at all. The only other sympton was the phone felt hot when I unplugged it. I have loaded the desktop manager on my PC and the computer still does not recognize the phone. Please help!? I am lost and have been searching for an answer for a week....
    Ok, don't worry, we can help you. You need to start at Step one--->
    1. In order to restore the device, you need to have BlackBerry Desktop Manager installed. The original, as supplied on the BlackBerry CD is adaquite. Tip: If you choose to download the newest v4.3, you can save a lot of time by choosing custom install and disabling Roxio Media Manager. At start-up, it really slows things down until it has built up it index of media. Ref #2 links to BlackBerry's download site.
    07-24-08 08:10 AM
    I get no signs of life at all. The only other sympton was the phone felt hot when I unplugged it. ...
    I would suspect a battery problem first.

Have you tried replacing the battery?
    07-24-08 09:20 AM
    Crucial, I have downloaded the latest desktop manager but the phone is being recognized by my computer at all. It is not registering on the usb port, have tried switching and still no life shows up on the DM....

Stoner do you think that could be it? I considered it, but I have never had a phone battery just instantly crap out. There had been no charging problems and the battery also held its charge well so just assumed it must be something else... But it could be a simple solution so I will look into getting a new one just to be sure...
    07-24-08 09:29 AM
    Your description included "hot", that might be the clue we are looking for. Nothing else has changed.
    07-24-08 09:34 AM
    In that case looking for a new battery the weekend... Hopefully that will be the simple fix. Thank you Stoner. : )
    07-24-08 06:04 PM
    tried those commands and all it did was make apploader appear nothing more
    07-24-08 09:06 PM
    Starting Applications Loader is the first step, if the OS is correctly installed, it should proceed with a fresh build.

The most common problem is missing the Vendor.xml file. You have to delete that for AL to proceed.

Finding it is tricky, the path is:

C:\Program files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Apploader. Scroll to the bottom, and delete Vendor.xml.

Then, try it again.
    07-24-08 10:25 PM
    i just got a blackberry 7510 today. when i plug it in or put the battery in, all i get is the black screen (absolutely nothing on it) with the flashing red light. i plug it into the pc via USB and nothing happens... windows doesn't even recognize a new device installed. i tried the wipe on jl_cmder but it couldn't connect to the blackberry and the blackberry desktop software says "disconnected" (and i can't do anything about it in connection settings)
    what am i doing wrong here? i am running vista

EDIT: i don't know if this is significant, but the light flashes *flash*pause*flash*flash*flash*pause*repeat*
    Last edited by strra; 07-28-08 at 03:20 PM.
    07-28-08 02:59 PM
    I goofed something. I sure hope someone can help. Here is the scenario:
    I upgraded to 4.5.0.52 last night while I was running the "Surreal" theme. The upgrade went perfect and I was up and running with no issues that anyone had complained about, (note: it loaded now with the default T-mobile theme though) and it also, had resolved my UMA/Bluetooth interference issue which was now running great. LIFE COULD NOT BE BETTER, right?!! Well, under themes I noticed the "Surreal" theme was still listed, but it would not give me a preview thumbnail- but all the others would. I moved on, and loaded some other themes including a couple of the new 4.5 themes. I went thru about 3 or 4 and settled on 1, then decided a 1/2 hour ago to change back to "Surreal". That's when I think I "Bricked" my unit!! (!OMG!). Right as it was seemingly done with the change over to the "Surreal" theme, I got the "WSOD" (White screen of death) with "reset" highlighted and above it saying: "App Error 523". When I choose reset, it just goes thru the reboot with the "hourglass" (The "Surreal" themes looking icon) then back to that same screen saying "App Error 523". It never loads!
    What do I do from here? Can you save me!? !!SOS!! !!SOS!! !!SOS!!
    07-28-08 04:01 PM
    I goofed something. I sure hope someone can help. Here is the scenario:
    I upgraded to 4.5.0.52 last night while I was running the "Surreal" theme. The upgrade went perfect and I was up and running with no issues that anyone had complained about, (note: it loaded now with the default T-mobile theme though) and it also, had resolved my UMA/Bluetooth interference issue which was now running great. LIFE COULD NOT BE BETTER, right?!! Well, under themes I noticed the "Surreal" theme was still listed, but it would not give me a preview thumbnail- but all the others would. I moved on, and loaded some other themes including a couple of the new 4.5 themes. I went thru about 3 or 4 and settled on 1, then decided a 1/2 hour ago to change back to "Surreal". That's when I think I "Bricked" my unit!! (!OMG!). Right as it was seemingly done with the change over to the "Surreal" theme, I got the "WSOD" (White screen of death) with "reset" highlighted and above it saying: "App Error 523". When I choose reset, it just goes thru the reboot with the "hourglass" (The "Surreal" themes looking icon) then back to that same screen saying "App Error 523". It never loads!
    What do I do from here? Can you save me!? !!SOS!! !!SOS!! !!SOS!!

Yes, I've heard of the surreal theme causing problems. You need to download & Install JL_Cmder Plug in the device, open JL_Cmder select #4 for wipe. Then you will get a '507' error. Thats what you want. Once you have the '507' error. Plug in the device, open DM and install the OS again. My suggestion is to NOT use that theme again.

edit: heres my tutorial on how-to wipe with JL_Cmder----> http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/
    07-28-08 04:21 PM
    Hi there, thank you for the very detailed walkthrough. I've followed your instructions (and those on the 101 class), but am running into the "Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation" error. Basically, the loader wipes the system, installs the OS, and then the BB can't get a good reboot. I've tried this with the battery in and out, and even tried the "inserting the battery during the installation" trick, but still have nothing. Help!

Thanks!

EDIT: I think I may have found the solution. I installed JL Cmder and did a wipe, but that didn't do anything. The BB still connected intermittently as soon as I left JL Cmder.

Curious, I loaded JL Cmder back up and did another wipe, followed by going through and pressing all of the JL Cmder options (to see what they would do). Finally, I did *another* wipe before exiting JL Cmder (can't be too sure, right?). Voila! It worked. My BB no longer cycled, but was stuck on the "507" Error Screen. I pulled up Loader and it seems to have worked (BB is in the post-install 30-minute start up phase right now)!

So, to anyone else who is having this problem:

1) Try the steps outlined here and in the 101 post.
    2) Wipe with JL Cmder.
    3) Wipe again with JL Cmder, but this time leave JL Cmder up for a few minutes before wiping.
    4) Wipe one more time?
    5) Pray
    6) Follow the steps outlined here and in the 101 post.

Good Luck! And thanks to Stoner and Kevin. Could one (or both) of you add a JL Cmder wipe step to your (awesome) walkthroughs as a (really) last resort?

Thanks!
    Last edited by patrickinlaw; 07-28-08 at 05:03 PM.
    07-28-08 04:41 PM
    i just got a blackberry 7510 today. when i plug it in or put the battery in, all i get is the black screen (absolutely nothing on it) with the flashing red light. i plug it into the pc via USB and nothing happens... windows doesn't even recognize a new device installed. i tried the wipe on jl_cmder but it couldn't connect to the blackberry and the blackberry desktop software says "disconnected" (and i can't do anything about it in connection settings)
    what am i doing wrong here? i am running vista

EDIT: i don't know if this is significant, but the light flashes *flash*pause*flash*flash*flash*pause*repeat*
    Kevin has discussed a similar connection issue in this CrackBerry 101 post.

BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    07-28-08 04:42 PM
    Kevin has discussed a similar connection issue in this CrackBerry 101 post.
    ok well, i tried his method and the blackberry will connect, i will see USB and click next, then it will immediately disconnect and i will get the message "A connection to the device could not be established." etc

any ideas?

EDIT: by connect and immediately disconnect, i mean windows will recognize it (which is one step further than i've been before) and make the connect sound, then about 2 seconds later, it will disconnect and make the disconnect sound. i watched it appear and disappear in the device manager.
    Last edited by strra; 07-28-08 at 07:07 PM.
    07-28-08 06:41 PM
    Can I do this if the blackberry is completely dead, dead, dead meaning no LED light nothing?
    Last edited by amcgowan2007; 07-29-08 at 10:17 PM.
    07-29-08 10:14 PM
    Can I do this if the blackberry is completely dead, dead, dead meaning no LED light nothing?
    If the circuits are still alive, this is the only way to bring it back to life.

If it is flat lined, even this will not work.

Make sure you have ruled out a battery problem first.
    07-29-08 11:04 PM
    I've been through all your steps, Stoner, & definitely appreciate your extensive help in this forum. However, let me throw another curve at you:

My BB was immersed in a neighborhood swimming pool for approximately 5 seconds. Livid at myself, I panicked and tried to turn it on; Nothing. I then proceeded to remove the battery, sim card, & sd card and let it dry on a table in the heat. When it was time to go home (approx. 20 later), I wrapped all of the pieces separately in a towel. Upon arriving home I laid all the pieces out to let them dry. After a couple of hours (STUPID!, I know) I tried to turn it on again. I got the alternating blinking lights and the white screen with the hourglass. The hourglass ran for several minutes and not sure what was going on, I turned it off and turned it on again. Again, the white screen and the hourglass. After it ran about five minutes I repeated the same. This time it would not come on. It was at this time that I found this forum. I took the battery and cards out again and sealed them in a ziploc bag with those 3 of those packets used to keep medications/etc. dry in storage/shipment. The ziploc bag I then placed in a tupperware container. I let this set for a couple of days. After putting everything back together, still nothing. Black screen, no lights. I tried my wife's battery, still nothing. I put my battery in her BB and it worked just fine. So, evidently the battery is okay. After reading more of this forum and others on this site, I decided that it must have shorted the last time I turned it on. Hopeless, I was about to give up. Then I was just messing around with the battery and I got the light to blink. After some more playing around, I have gotten it to stay solid. However, neither the application launch or the desktop manager can find it still.

Is there any hope? Does the fact that the light comes on now mean ANYTHING?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.
    08-04-08 09:42 PM
    I was hoping, when I read the part about the white screen and the hour glass, you left it to finish the restart.

That is a normal part of the startup, if you can get that back, let it continue.

Failing that, it does sound like there is still life in the beast.

If anything can recover it, the manual command line switch has the best chance.
    08-04-08 10:01 PM
1,742 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD