thanx Reed.. u saved my life..

i followed ur steps and then went to the link above.. let me just note the tricky parts.. i got frustrated in the beginning.. coz i started the loader and went to the second part where u select ur connection.. it didnt show any kind of connection.. COM nor USB..

so my steps were.. remove the battery and dont connect the usb to ur blackberry yet.. start the uploader and then click next.. while on communication port selection window.. connect the usb to ur blackberry and then click next as soon as it detects the usb connection.. after that u can put ur battery on and continue with the rest of the steps..
    08-16-09 10:10 AM
    I'm not sure what is going on with my Pearl 8100. Out of the blue one day I got this white screen with rotating hourglass and then a black screen with LED blinking a couple times. I tired turning the phone off but it wouldn't respond. Tried taking out the battery and that didn't seem to help. This white screen and light repeated until the battery went dead. I plugged it into the charger and got this battery with the lighting bolt sign for about 2 seconds. After that it went back to the alternating white screen and flashing red light. Could this be a battery problem?? I have never installed the BB software on my computer so needless to say nothing was backed up (I'm kicking myself now). Finally installed the original CD that came with the phone purchase and installed it (I think it's version 4.2.2.14) onto the computer but it doesn't seem to recognize the phone (showing disconnected on the bottom bar of the DM). I think this is because the phone isn't even turned out despite the white screen and red light. Is there any way I can get my files out if the software needs to be wiped out and reinstalled? I really need those phone numbers! Can this just be a battery failure? Please help me!
    From your description of the symptoms, I would not expect a battery failure, but that is a first diagnostic step.

The good news is, the Sun Java machine is alive, that is what is creating the spinning hour glass as it process high priority instructions.

There is still a change of recovering the data, if you can get Backup to recognize it. I would suggest upgrading the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software to the latest version.

If you have to resort to the command line loader instructions, all of your data will be erased.
    08-16-09 10:34 AM
    Reed,
    I cant get the phone to do anything now. LED flashes 3 times pauses for a second and then flashes 2 more times. I can not get it to pull up in apploader or anything, i have tried the battery trick and everything.

ideas?
    No red light, no screen, tried charging it all night and tried a different battery? what now?
    If these techniques do not work for you, your final recourse is to return it to your carrier for exchange.
    08-16-09 10:39 AM
    im in sales and have lost everything. my 8830 is acting up. the screen will go white and show the hour class. it then goes black and the led light is red. it continues to loop like than. every once in a while it will turn on and then shut back off. how do i fix this problem thanks
    08-17-09 08:01 PM
    im in sales and have lost everything. my 8830 is acting up. the screen will go white and show the hour class. it then goes black and the led light is red. it continues to loop like than. every once in a while it will turn on and then shut back off. how do i fix this problem thanks
    The first consideration is recovering your data.

Have you make a backup or upgraded your OS reciently? If so, we can proceed with rebuilding the device software, if not, that is job one.

If you haven't done it already, install BlackBerry Desktop Manager and try to make a backup.
    08-17-09 09:16 PM
    i feel like i've tried everything maybe i'm making a mistake hopefully somone can help me I used JL Cmd to wipe my berry 8310 now im getting the 507 error.
    so then i try to follow the steps of download the DS and then the OS and then i get launch the loader... and it detects the berry.. then right when i hit next.. the device restarts.. App loader keeps saying "Connecting to (ARM)..." the device restarts a few more times then it gives me a error...

"A connection to the device could not be established. Please ensure that the device is properly connected to the cradle or USB cable, and that the cradle or USB cable is connected securely to your computer. Also ensure that the device has completed any startup operations. Then run the Application Loader Wizard again."

thats probably because it keeps restarting....

and if i don't follow the directions.. and use DM to update.. It gets past it to the next stage
    but hangs up on "Connection to boot ROM" and once again keeps restarting until it fails.

"Unspecified error encountered [A:0x00000001]"

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.. help?
    Last edited by akashptl; 08-18-09 at 01:12 AM.
    08-18-09 01:04 AM
    I just bought a Storm 9530 and a week later it went kaput. I tried your steps to recover the my "dead" blackberry but during the App Loader, it says Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation.

Is there anyway you can help me get this back up and running? I just got this phone and would like the opportunity to use it. Any help you can give me I would greatly appreciate it. I've been working on restoring life to my phone for 3 straight days now. Agh!
    08-18-09 03:32 AM
    great step by step - helped me rescue my fiancee's bb after i tried to upgrade OS... definitely saved me from serious trouble...
    08-18-09 08:11 AM
    i feel like i've tried everything maybe i'm making a mistake hopefully somone can help me I used JL Cmd to wipe my berry 8310 now im getting the 507 error.
    so then i try to follow the steps of download the DS and then the OS and then i get launch the loader... and it detects the berry.. then right when i hit next.. the device restarts.. App loader keeps saying "Connecting to (ARM)..." the device restarts a few more times then it gives me a error...

"A connection to the device could not be established. Please ensure that the device is properly connected to the cradle or USB cable, and that the cradle or USB cable is connected securely to your computer. Also ensure that the device has completed any startup operations. Then run the Application Loader Wizard again."

thats probably because it keeps restarting....

and if i don't follow the directions.. and use DM to update.. It gets past it to the next stage
    but hangs up on "Connection to boot ROM" and once again keeps restarting until it fails.

"Unspecified error encountered [A:0x00000001]"

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.. help?
    It isn't anything you are doing wrong, you have correctly installed both the desktop and device software. These have to be in place for you to make it that far.

A connection to the device could not be established. ...
    The only think that come to mind, you may have a hardware problem with the USB port or cable.

The fact that you were able to clear it with JL_cmdr means it is not a hard failure, but it could still be a marginal connection.

I would try a different USB port and cable, make sure it is a direct connection, no hubs.
    08-18-09 10:04 AM
    I just bought a Storm 9530 and a week later it went kaput. I tried your steps to recover the my "dead" blackberry but during the App Loader, it says Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation.

Is there anyway you can help me get this back up and running? I just got this phone and would like the opportunity to use it. Any help you can give me I would greatly appreciate it. I've been working on restoring life to my phone for 3 straight days now. Agh!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/unab...eration-73368/
    08-18-09 10:05 AM
    yep, ill post an update as soon as i get a cable from a friend hopefully that fixes my problem thanks for the help ill let yu know how it goes =)
    08-18-09 03:28 PM
    From your description of the symptoms, I would not expect a battery failure, but that is a first diagnostic step.

The good news is, the Sun Java machine is alive, that is what is creating the spinning hour glass as it process high priority instructions.

There is still a change of recovering the data, if you can get Backup to recognize it. I would suggest upgrading the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software to the latest version.

If you have to resort to the command line loader instructions, all of your data will be erased.

I just tried a new battery and confirmed that it's not a battery problem. The screen with the hourglass and red light popped back up right away. I will upgrade my current DM software to the latest version and see what happens. I really hope I could recover the save data before reintalling the software on to the phone.
    08-19-09 09:10 AM
    I just tried a new battery and confirmed that it's not a battery problem. The screen with the hourglass and red light popped back up right away. I will upgrade my current DM software to the latest version and see what happens. I really hope I could recover the save data before reintalling the software on to the phone.
    08-19-09 01:57 PM
    I'm getting a "Failed to connect at multi-stage operation"

I have a tmobile pearl 8100! Im so confused =[
    08-23-09 11:34 PM
    facing the exact problem!!
    08-24-09 06:57 AM
    My daughter dropped my Curve (she's only a year and a half, so it only was dropped about a foot from the ground). After it being dropped, I couldn't get the phone back on. I've tried taking out the battery and I saw somewhere to plug the USB into the computer. I've got nothing.

Sometimes there is a red light at the top, sometimes there is nothing at all.

Pleas help! To put it bluntly, use little words. I'm not exactly "fix it" savvy.
    08-24-09 09:16 PM
    I'm getting a "Failed to connect at multi-stage operation"

I have a tmobile pearl 8100! Im so confused =[
    Ugh...

It seems like Ive tried everything.

Did the USB settings.
    Tried different ports
    Put in battery at different stages

Nothing...any other suggestions I should try?

I have a TMO 8100 btw.
    facing the exact problem!!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/unab...eration-73368/

I will reply to both posts here. This thread is the best we have to offer, if you still can not maintain a computer to device connection, try a different computer.
    08-25-09 09:16 AM
    My daughter dropped my Curve (she's only a year and a half, so it only was dropped about a foot from the ground). After it being dropped, I couldn't get the phone back on. I've tried taking out the battery and I saw somewhere to plug the USB into the computer. I've got nothing.

Sometimes there is a red light at the top, sometimes there is nothing at all.

Pleas help! To put it bluntly, use little words. I'm not exactly "fix it" savvy.
    In my experience, a BlackBerry will survive a much greater impact then that, with no ill effects.

You can do some simple troubleshooting to narrow down the problem.

Try calling it from a different phone. If it does not respond, press the Red End Call key, wait 15 seconds and try it again. If it rings and you can answer it, the problem is isolated to the display screen.

If it does not ring, remove the battery and inspect the 4 Gold contact patches for contamination. Clean them with a pink rubber eraser then replace the battery.

If it still does not respond, try exchanging the battery with a know good identical model.
    08-25-09 09:26 AM
    Hi there Reed,

I did replace my display with a new one, but my red light keeps shining for about 3 sec. Still no screen, and nothing to see. What is wrong?
    I am really out of ideas
    08-25-09 11:19 AM
    Hi there Reed,

I did replace my display with a new one, but my red light keeps shining for about 3 sec. Still no screen, and nothing to see. What is wrong?
    I am really out of ideas

The fact that you were able to get a screen capture confirms the BlackBerry is working correctly, with a dead screen.

There are two possible causes, neither of them related to the software upgrade.

The most likely suspect is the connection between the LCD screen and the main logic board.

If the connection is not the problem, that isolates it to the LCD screen.

Fortunatly, the screen is easily replaceable and reasonably prices, in North America.

I would suggest Google to track down a BlackBerry parts and repair service in your local area.
    I really though we had it right with the screen.

Now, it sounds like the connection is bad.
    08-25-09 12:31 PM

Can i fix the connection, and what do you meen?
    08-25-09 01:11 PM
    The port possibly?
    08-25-09 01:12 PM
    The port possibly?
    How can i fix the port? Isn't it to small to fix? and how can i see it is broken?
    08-25-09 01:13 PM

My BB seems to boot now. (stuck on Vodafone screen) I still have a blank screen, and i think my keypad +trackball also dont work?
    When i saw a screendump from my installation, i couldn't scroll trough the options. Any ideas, or really broken?
    08-25-09 02:14 PM
    i entered all the comman prompts, the application loader wizard popped up, the instruction was to plug my bb to my desktop and the communication port connection didn't pick up. i am not able to select the detect communication port either?? H E L P
    08-25-09 04:38 PM
1,742 ... 3233343536 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD