Thanks for the update, it does have to be a Windows computer. During the install procedure, it does not use the internet, so we can rule out any firewall issues.

The communications error means it is not detecting the BlackBerry during the multi-stage process.

That has been reported a number of times. Often, it will work if you run it again.

If it continues to fail at that point, we have to suspect a hardware problem in the device itself. That would be cause for having it replaced under warranty.
    04-16-09 11:10 AM
    Thanks for the update, it does have to be a Windows computer. During the install procedure, it does not use the internet, so we can rule out any firewall issues.

The communications error means it is not detecting the BlackBerry during the multi-stage process.

That has been reported a number of times. Often, it will work if you run it again.

If it continues to fail at that point, we have to suspect a hardware problem in the device itself. That would be cause for having it replaced under warranty.
    The warranty.......yes, that would be nice to have. This is a used device, bought last week on ebay. I received it on Friday and played with it all weekend, having a blast and thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread. Then I had the silly idea that I should upgrade the OS. I guess the lesson here is, if you have a used device that's working perfectly, DON'T GET GREEDY FOR MORE SPEED AND WHATNOT.
    04-16-09 02:21 PM
    That is unfortunate, but there must be a way.

Lets go back to basics. Check Windows / Control Panel / Programs.

Check the version of Desktop Software installed. If it is prior to v4.3, I would download and install the later v4.6. That has proven to be the most reliable on pre-Storm BlackBerrys.

Second, download a fresh copy of your OS. You may as well proceed with the version upgrade, use this link:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/new...-138-a-192602/

You will need to navigate to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file vendor.xml.

Connect your BlackBerry and start BlackBerry Desktop Software. If you can get a connection, that is the best place to do the upgrade.

Good luck, I can appreciate how frustrating this must be.
    04-16-09 03:18 PM
    The warranty.......yes, that would be nice to have. This is a used device, bought last week on ebay. I received it on Friday and played with it all weekend, having a blast and thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread. Then I had the silly idea that I should upgrade the OS. I guess the lesson here is, if you have a used device that's working perfectly, DON'T GET GREEDY FOR MORE SPEED AND WHATNOT.
    you could always try downgrading it back to whatever operating system it was using. that's what i had to do for mine (though its a pearl). i've tried SEVERAL times to upgrade and always have to downgrade to unbrick the phone. its the only thing that works.

i keep trying, knowing it will brick the phone, hoping that *maybe just maybe* this time it will work. but, it never does.
    04-16-09 09:14 PM
    So close....

The error message is coming from Applications loader. The most likey cause is a missing or corrupted file in the OS build.

Are you using your original carriers OS build? If not, download and install that first. If it works correctly, you can use alternate carriers builds with confidance, knowing you can roll back to a known good build at any time.
    We've tried my carrier's OS build (what is available is 4.2.2.196). We've also tried more recent OSs (4.5) with the vendor file removed.

We've downloaded each multiple times. As well as the 4.5, 4.6 and 4.7 desktop managers.

And now we've tried all of this on a couple different computers (though on the other computers we used DM 4.6 and OS 4.2.2.196 from my carrier (Verizon).

We still get the fatal error message A:0x0000000E through the apploader and a similar error through the desktop manager.
    04-16-09 10:31 PM
    Yeah, thanks for the suggestion about DM 4.6. Unfortunately it is the same problem with that desktop manager (with both the Verizon supplied 4.2.2.196 and with the new system software you suggested).

I'd like to try the software version that was on the phone when it came (4.2.2.176) but I can't figure out how to get a copy.
    04-16-09 10:35 PM
    I can not access Verizon's download page without a valid phone number.

Bell Mobility, a Canadian CDMA carrier, does offer this OS package for the 8830:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.339 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.2.339
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 4.2.2.176
    Software Platform: 3.0.0.79
    File name: 8830EFS_PBr4.2.2_rel339_PL3.0.0.79_A4.2.2.176_Bell _Mobility.exe
    File size: 88.81MB
    It is exactly the same as your original OS.

04-17-09 10:59 AM
    this was such a life-saver for me! i thought i was gonna lose my mind when my storm wouldnt come back on. GOD bless u!!!
    04-17-09 12:40 PM
    I tried to fix a 523 error and the only thing that worked was this!!

Thank you
    04-17-09 07:41 PM
    My 8320 cannot start up and the indicator light blinking , I followed the steps through the command prompt and when I get to the loader /nojvm and hit enter, the application loader wizard immedately pops open and when i hit next ,the next pops open com 1,and its doesnt work. Is that what is supposed to happen? If so, how will I solve this one. what am I missing?
    04-19-09 01:12 PM
    This thread has saved my *** a few times..Thanks reed

I wish i was able to use crack utl as good as you,But that is too advanced for me as of now..Ive been tying to free up space for the last week,and its harder then it looks..Even with your threads
    04-19-09 04:07 PM
    just performed this on a pearl not mine someone elses lol, thought it was bricked after i did it but is working now thanks
    04-19-09 06:18 PM
    My 8320 cannot start up and the indicator light blinking , I followed the steps through the command prompt and when I get to the loader /nojvm and hit enter, the application loader wizard immedately pops open and when i hit next ,the next pops open com 1,and its doesnt work. Is that what is supposed to happen? If so, how will I solve this one. what am I missing?

That a simple one, there is a problem recognizing your USB port. The solution is, usually, to reinstall BlackBerry Desktop Software.

You can do that from Control Panel / Programs. Use the Repair option first, if that fails, remove it and do a normal re-install.

Thanks for the feedback, I am so grateful my dead BlackBerry experience has proven so valuable to others.
    04-19-09 07:07 PM
    Good, at least we have ruled out the simple solution.

If you are using Windows XP, there could be a driver issue. The USB drivers are on the install CD and should have been installed along with DeskTop Manager.

If you downloaded DTM, you would not have gotten the files.

Install BlackBerry USB and Modem drivers. That may be enough to complete the connection.

Use the link in the first post, BlackBerry Desktop Softwate, to locate the drivers.
    this happened to me. is there any way to download those drivers online? i bought the phone from a friend and dont have the cd.
    04-20-09 02:32 AM
    That a simple one, there is a problem recognizing your USB port. The solution is, usually, to reinstall BlackBerry Desktop Software.

You can do that from Control Panel / Programs. Use the Repair option first, if that fails, remove it and do a normal re-install.

Thanks for the feedback, I am so grateful my dead BlackBerry experience has proven so valuable to others.
    i tryed this way and my computer says:

the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavaiable

then it tell me to browse for a folder with the blackberry software.msi
    i have no idea where or wat that is.
    04-20-09 02:40 AM
    this happened to me. is there any way to download those drivers online? i bought the phone from a friend and dont have the cd.
    The USB drivers are part of the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

The USB/Modem drivers are an earlier release for pre-Windows XP computers.

Use the links in the first post to download the BlackBerry Desktop Software and the other link to download a copy of the correct OS for your BlackBerry.

04-20-09 10:02 AM
    I have a 8350i and i have a error on the phone that I can not get past... it is a battery with a red line though it. I have replace the battery but still no luck. Does anyone know how to restart the phone?
    04-20-09 03:56 PM
    That symbol is telling you the battery voltage is out of spec. A totally discharge battery does cause that.

If you get the same thing with a known good battery, that tells you the problem is in the voltage regulator circuits on the logic board. That is a serious hardware failure.
    04-20-09 06:20 PM
    This thread was a life saver. I thought I bricked my phone for good but I ran through these steps and everything was functional. Ran the backup file from the desktop manager and all was well. THANKS AGAIN!
    04-20-09 10:28 PM
    Alright people I am in desperate help with my storm. It was working fine then froze one day. I did a hard reboot by taking out the battery. Ever sense then the phone has failed to work. It turns on but the screen never comes on. It remains this way no matter how many times I take the batter out.

My problem with upgrading the software is I have to connect to the interent through my other blackberry the 8330. So I am having trouble finding a place to download a new OS sense the verizon page insists on doing it OTA.

Any idead or help will be greatly appreciated.
    04-21-09 02:14 AM
    There are alternate carriers that will allow you to download the OS package to your computer.

In Canada, both Telus Mobility and Bell Mobility offer upgraded Storm 9530 software.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

There are a couple more options in the Storm's forums.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/up...pdated-123176/
    04-21-09 09:57 AM
    i have a bold thats dead i mean completely dead no activity i do all the commands and the apploader comes up i click next and then i get a window that says it could not connect or couldnt find any devices please help
    04-21-09 05:44 PM
    Was trying to upgrade my software yesterday under Windows 7 Ultimate (not realizing this was a problem) and it froze during the process.

Storm is now flashing a Red LED twice and will not boot or show any activity on the screen.

Tried reinstalling under Windows XP (using the outline on the first page) but the loader says "the blackberry desktop software does not have blackberry device software for the device that you have connected to the computer contact your servic provider."

Please advise.
    Can anyone help?
    04-23-09 12:33 PM
    Can anyone help?
    An apology for not giving you a direct answer when you first posted your question.

"the blackberry desktop software does not have blackberry device software for the device that you have connected to the computer contact your servic provider."
    There are two separate packages that have to be installed to upgrade the device. That message refers to your device OS software.

Windows / Control Panel / Programs. Verify that both BlackBerry Desktop Software and BlackBerry Device software are installed.

If they are, you may have missed the preparation step.

Navigate too: C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader. Delete the file vendor.xml.

Try the rebuild again, it should work now.
    04-23-09 01:06 PM
    i have a bold thats dead i mean completely dead no activity i do all the commands and the apploader comes up i click next and then i get a window that says it could not connect or couldnt find any devices please help
    If you are sure the problem is not the battery, it could in the USB port on the device. That is a hardware failure but it can be serviced and repaired.
    04-23-09 01:10 PM
1,742 ... 2122232425 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD